Endurance Racing in Career

• Thread starter Animera
  • 401 comments
I got an early invitation to the Bathurst 25 hour of madness. I'm only completed karts (Finally!), and decided to skip it and maybe do it some other time. I don't think I'd ever have the power/patience/energy/whatever to do a 25 hour race!

I had my best endurance race so far last night.
I'm in the Audi R8 at the Tri-Nations 1000 race at Road America, with the AI on 85%, and I set the race to 80 laps as I only had 3 hours available.

I qualified 1st by 0.671s, but when the race started one AI was way faster than the others and sat on my tail, even trying a few passes, but tried at silly places so never actually got past.

I had worked out my strategy to do 2 pit stops on soft tyres. The fast AI stopped on lap 24 and I needed to go to lap 27 but my tyres were flat spotted (No ABS) and my wheel was shaking like crazy when I got to 6th gear, so I was losing 3s a lap.

I pitted on lap 27 and came out behind the AI. I decided to run slightly slower, smoother laps to preserve my tyres and made my 2nd pit stop on lap 54, now about 20s behind the leader. He had stopped on lap 48. Doing some math I figured he would stop again on lap 72, while I could go to the end of the race, so I just had to keep it smooth and look after the tyres.

The AI pitted on lap 72 as I had calculated and I went into 1st place, with a 43s lead. The AI was catching me, but only at about 1s a lap so I figured I could bring it home easily. But then, with 6 laps to go, I spin and hit the wall, causing suspension and aero damage! The AI is now 32s behind so I can't afford a pit stop and soldier on with a steering wheel that is now 30 deg off centre and a car that is trying to kill me when turning.

The AI is catching me at 3s a lap and I pass the finish with a 13s lead!

Awesome race!

5,5 hours into Green Hell 25hrs now. Damage and penalties off.
Had the Stig telling me they had gearbox problems and that I could possibly loose some gears... Pitstop was longer than normal.
Rejoined the race, no problems so far.
Just gave the wheel to B-spec Bob and watched him for a few laps. He looses about 20" each lap. Will take the wheel back later on this evening.
OK, finished Green Hell 25hrs in first place (which gave me a gold accolade and the "Day in the Life" trophy).
I was a little bit afraid about how B-spec Bob would perform, especially since I watched his first laps, where he was significantly slower than I expected/hoped for.
But Bob did pretty well and managed to loose only a minute over night. We switched drivers again and I noticed some remarkable points: after 16 hrs into the race:

- the McLaren could now easily reach a whopping 347km/h at the end of the long straight (barely managed 326km/h before)
- there were no more warnings when going off track !
- the oil temp gauge did not work any more.
- the digital clock inside the car was a little off and resulted in a 18' difference at the end of the race,

In general:
- I HAD NO ISSUES AT ALL,
- when called in, Bob responded without fault,
- he always pitted with enough fuel left to do two more laps,
- he is extremely careful when overtaking other AI, and on the other hand, he sometimes uses the grass to do so,
- it did not rain (unless Bob had his share during the night),
- I will have to go buy some quality wheelnuts for my team, because what they are using is clearly not up to standard,
-Ii was told by the Stig I was going to loose some gears, that there was an electrical problem. Obviously without further problems since I had disabled damage, but I wonder what would have happened otherwise.
- Sunset, sundown, fog, night sky, the moon (a bit overdimensioned I think) are all very beautiful,
- track is clearly more slippery in the early morning,

When I took the wheel back this morning (was clearly not complete awake) I did hit the brake for something I saw as a speed camera...:dunce:
Great immersion, clearly...

I had AI set at 70%, not knowing how Bob would do, but next race I'm going for 80 (or 90).
We had a two lap advance over #2.
192 laps done, fastest lap was 07:18,444

In all, great fun. Up to Le Mans now...:D

Last edited:
Has anyone pointed out how there are 2 Le mans 24 hours? I'm wondering which one will give me the achievement; the WEC one or the stand alone one?

The Tri Nations 1000 GT Endurance race at Silverstone is the toughest endurance race I've done so far. It transitions from day to night and it rains for 130 of the 170 laps!

I gave Bob the final stint and he brought the car home for a 14s win after 170 laps and 8 hours of racing!

Le Mans 24 / RWD P30 LMP1 / AI 80% / penalties disabled.

The game randomly pauses, sometimes 3 to 4 times/lap at different places, mostly in corners. It also happened within a few hundred meters...
The standings sheet appears and hitting resume gets you back racing (as far as you are not off track by then) but the HUD is gone and you have to scroll to find your setting back. You also need to scroll the timing screen.

B-spec BOB did the late night shift (and he did a rather good job - we were still leading the race by 1'23"). This morning I let him pit (did not call him in) and hit the swap driver button. Got fuel and tires and was released.

Halfway the pit lane the wheel slammed left and right and I got a message: DISQUALIFIED - WRONG WAY !!!???

That's it... race finished with 3,5 hours left ... last place...

Great fun... NOT !
tickyes.png

I was surprised to see the results of the race were not saved, practice and qualification were.
Started again, scaled down to two hours (because I was a little bit fed up now...).

In the first lap I had the game pause 13 (THIRTEEN) times.
I lost count afterwards, but I could not do one single lap without the game pausing several times.
And always the HUD is either completely gone, or the telemetry HUD shows (very handy at night with the four uplighting "ballons" on the screen...)
mad.png

But I finished te race and the result was saved this time.

This will keep me from endurance racing for some time...

This will keep me from endurance racing for some time...

Sadly, this:

OK, it's not only endurance races...

While my season ended I got some contract offers and decided to try some of the cars, before signing.

At Zolder, the Ginetta Junior and the McLaren GT3 encountered the same problems: free driving, outlap: the game pauses (the first time in the (Terlamenbocht #7).
Hit resume and immediately pauses again...three-four times in a row.

I gave up for now...
mad.png

Any tips ? Am I the only one having these issues ?

IIRC I saw this reported 2-3 times before, but certainly not as frequent as you have it. I guess its a random button pressing issue with your controller/wheel but I m not sure. Probably worth reporting in the official forum.

IIRC I saw this reported 2-3 times before, but certainly not as frequent as you have it. I guess its a random button pressing issue with your controller/wheel but I m not sure. Probably worth reporting in the official forum.
Thanks, I did report it on the PCars forum allready.
Not sure what you mean by the random button pressing issue ?
An issue with one of the buttons on the wheel ?
I run TM T500RS, no controller.
It all started on this seasons endurance races, no issues during the races inbetween, until now...

Le Mans 24 / RWD P30 LMP1 / AI 80% / penalties disabled.

The game randomly pauses, sometimes 3 to 4 times/lap at different places, mostly in corners. It also happened within a few hundred meters...
The standings sheet appears and hitting resume gets you back racing (as far as you are not off track by then) but the HUD is gone and you have to scroll to find your setting back. You also need to scroll the timing screen.

B-spec BOB did the late night shift (and he did a rather good job - we were still leading the race by 1'23"). This morning I let him pit (did not call him in) and hit the swap driver button. Got fuel and tires and was released.

Halfway the pit lane the wheel slammed left and right and I got a message: DISQUALIFIED - WRONG WAY !!!???

That's it... race finished with 3,5 hours left ... last place...

Great fun... NOT !
tickyes.png

I never heard of this issue before. The game is amazing, never stops to surprise you with even more crazy random bugs.

About the b-spec Bob, sorry, but I told you so: don't use it, he'll get you out of the race somehow.

I'm useless online, otherwise I'd be interested.

I never heard of this issue before. The game is amazing, never stops to surprise you with even more crazy random bugs.

About the b-spec Bob, sorry, but I told you so: don't use it, he'll get you out of the race somehow.

It was not BOB's fault I think.
He helped me out fine during the Green Hell 25hrs.

But i DID disable penalties, just to be sure and then a DSQ for wrong way ??

But i DID disable penalties, just to be sure and then a DSQ for wrong way ??

Hence the somehow.

Bugs on endurance racing on pCARS is the stuff of internet legends. Such a shame that so few people commit to do it, otherwise would be tons of memes to laugh about.

:bowdown: THANK YOU :bowdown:

Made me think.
I removed the wheel from the base and gave it a thorough clean with a compressor, especially around the buttons, tightened some screws a bit and afterwards I managed to do 7 laps at Zolder without having the pause issue.
So you probably solved my problem here ! 👍

The Tri Nations 1000 GT Endurance race at Silverstone is the toughest endurance race I've done so far. It transitions from day to night and it rains for 130 of the 170 laps!
Just curious, is this on PC ?
Because on (my) PS4 the lights of AI can only be seen in the back view mirror for a very short period. In the video they can be seen the whole time.

You've been drinking at the wheel again haven't you? Sticky!

If particulates are in your wheel! Your pedals must be fluff city!
Yes, but I clean it up on a regular base... I drive better when I drink :lol:

TBH, the pedal set gets a visit from the vacuum cleaner every week. Probably better not to forget the wheel in the future... 💡

I've been playing 100% distance through career this far. The 24 Hours of Le Mans is up now. I did practice and qualified on pole. Now it's a matter of doing the race. I kinda don't feel like sinking so much time into one event, especially as I'm lucky to find time for two normal race weekends per day. However, part of me wants to tackle the full twenty-four hours.

I don't see me driving it all myself. That's already a given. Real endurance drivers don't even do it solo. I'd surely have the AI take over some, though I do want to do a good bit of it myself.

My concern is that I don't see me leaving my console running for that long. It's safest at night when the wife and two babies are in bed, but I'm concerned of someone bumping into it or stumbling over a cord (huge mess of cords and power strips since I've got a dozen consoles in one spot.) My wife has accidentally tapped the power button to my 360 at least once, and I've accidentally tapped the power button to my One before while in a game.

I've turned on my One and resumed a game as though I never turned it off. That time I accidentally turned my One off while playing Far Cry 4, I was so angry but turned it on and was standing where I left off. This doesn't always work, though. Sometimes I find myself on the title screen. What I'd like to do is drive for a couple runs (pitting after each) and swap to AI for a couple hours, then shut off and resume later.

Does anybody know if this would actually work or how to ensure I don't find myself booting up on the title screen? If I can make this work (playing in several sessions) does it screw up the Achievement?

@IceMan PJN
Don't know about the XBox, but I tried pausing the game and putting PS4 in slee mode. When I woke it up, I found the game in title screen and all progression lost.

Your main concern would be letting AI drive. He does his job pretty good, but whenever you take over from him there is the famous pitstop bug lurking: before getting control of the car you run into something and you end up being disqualified (Wrong Way)...
Just that you know.
I had it happen with only a few hours to go, and a lot of others with me...

I did just shy of three hours last night and went to resume today. I resumed just fine, though my wheel went nuts and steered me into a wall. I backed out to the dashboard and back in and my wheel was fine, and I had slight steering damage but nothing I couldn't deal with.

Then I got disqualified a few laps later. The AI just doesn't give a crap no matter how many times I lap them, and some GT cars were many laps down, yet they keep weaving in my way and sometimes I have to make evasive maneuvers to avoid a nasty crash. A little over three hours in, I came upon a shuffling pack of three cars at the end of the lap. I got by two on approach to the final chicane, the third ran me off. Upon cutting through the very last corner I got disqualified altogether.

Now I'm starting over.
:banghead:

Then I got disqualified a few laps later. The AI just doesn't give a crap no matter how many times I lap them, and some GT cars were many laps down, yet they keep weaving in my way and sometimes I have to make evasive maneuvers to avoid a nasty crash. A little over three hours in, I came upon a shuffling pack of three cars at the end of the lap. I got by two on approach to the final chicane, the third ran me off. Upon cutting through the very last corner I got disqualified altogether.

Now I'm starting over.
:banghead:
One could see it as "cheating" but that is why I disable penalties in the endurance races.
I got a little fed up with AI behaviour, though I would not care too much, if the penalty system would be better = more honest...

Did the 2nd race of my EEC season in the RWD @ Nurburgring GP today. The race should have been 3 hours, but I had to cut it in half due to time constraints. I used to really like this track, but after 90 mins today I was bored.

Started the race, shortly after I span and kissed the wall, didn't look like I'd taken any damage but another 20mins later I get the black square with the orange circle pop up on my screen, just after I pass pit entry - ENGINE!!
I thought that was the end, but I managed to crawl round the rest of the lap without dying, pit in and eventually win the race by 5 or so seconds.

Things to note - this track seems quite hash on tyres, especially with no ABS on the LMP1 cars. The AI seemed to really struggle with overtaking on this track for some reason.

When I pitted for tyres, I got RED ones, this seems to happen all the time.

Back