Endurance Racing in Career

• Thread starter Animera
  • 401 comments
The Project CARS Le Mans guide (patch 2.0)

There is some things you guys should know before comit to something as long as Le Mans:

- Event structure. There is a nice one hour long practice session and a ridiculously short qualifying (15 minutes in a 13 km course with 30 cars on track at the same time. 4Racers By Racers. Riiiiiiiiiight).

Be aware to the fact that these sessions are held in day time. Set some practice laps on your own at night conditions. Some curves are really hard to find at night at the first couple of laps, mainly Porsche Curves entry (stepping out of the plublic roads bit) and the first left hander in the La Chappel. They are really blind. You have sort of throw the car around, hoping that the turns are there.

- Penalty system. It doesn't work. There are corners where you can pretty much drive with four wheels off and gain time without a short cut warning (Ford Chicanes and the inside bit of Tertre Rouge). There are others where you can't put two wheels over the curb without being told to not do it again, even if you are losing time, or dodging AI nuts.

I did run Le Mans with penalties on only because I didn't let the B-Spec Bob take over. The AI driver WILL get you off the race. Pay attention to this: he WILL get you off the race by short cuts. If you plan to use it, don't set the penalties on. The same goes if you'll get tired at some point and make some mistakes, simply turn it off. I wish I did.

- Damage. Turn it off completely. The reason is simple: if you get a crash and lose the front bodywork, with your lights, that's it. Even if you tell your crew to repair it, they won't and you will wind up without lights to do the whole race.

- Red hot tyres issue. If you're lucky, it won't happen to you. But if you are like me, well, it'll. It's a known issue: when you get yourself to the pits to change tyres, no matter what you do in your strategy, as soon as you get out, the new set will get red hot.

But don't dispair. You'll be able to run two stints easily, without any lost of grip and bad handling. On my third stint with the hot tyres, I noticed a lot of vibration. I'm thinking that, for some reason, my tyres got squared, but I didn't locked up the wheels that much. Anyway, the last stint will be slower, but it's doable and if you are a regular driver, you'll be competitive. At night, it'll get a bit scary though.

- Medium tyres. Tired of the red hot issue on softs I decided to give the medium compound a go in the last 5 hours. What a difference! On my setup, It worked better than the soft ones. I could run 3min28 laps without a hitch. Plus, the three stints became really easy Try it =) (I could even do four, but I was so ahead of the AI that I couldn't be bother)

- Difficulty level. I'm used to play the career with the AI at 80% (sometimes 90%, 85% would be ideal, but...). On Le Mans I chickened out and set it to 80%. Apart from the first few laps, the bots weren't really competitive and this happens simply because they can't handle traffic as fast as you can do. So, in order to get a nice race, you should up the AI a bit. Believe me, as soon as you reach traffic, they'll lose a lot of time.

The AI seems to get strategy really wrong too. In my case, there was five LMP1 cars, including me. I was able to do 12 laps stints (13 if I wanted to). But the AI cars were doing 10 to 11 laps runs. I don't know why.

- Pit stop fuel. Make sure you have a strategy made to the race which has the maximum fuel set. The reason is if you drive to the pits without one, and try to do it manually, sometimes (frequently, really) your crew won't put the max fuel that you can carry.

UPDATE:

- Le Mans Pit Stop bug.
The 2.0 patch came with notes saying it had corrected the issue where, after changing the control with the AI driver, the player's car would hit an invisible object and got disqualified from the race.

There are reports on the official forums stating that this issue is not corrected at all. So, I'd strongly suggest to not use the AI driver in the Le Mans 24 Hours.

UPDATE:

- Le Mans Pit Stop bug.
The 2.0 patch came with notes saying it had corrected the issue where, after changing the control with the AI driver, the player's car would hit an invisible object and got disqualified from the race.

There are reports on the official forums stating that this issue is not corrected at all. So, I'd strongly suggest to not use the AI driver in the Le Mans 24 Hours.
What would happen when penalties are disabled ?
Because that is going to be my plan for Le Mans...

What would happen when penalties are disabled ?
Because that is going to be my plan for Le Mans...

IIRC, you won't be able to finish the race because the car will hit the invisible object and it will stay there until it run out of fuel.

But I'm not 100% on this.

Been there done that... click for more.

I ended up in the garage for "Going the Wrong Way". I intentionally turned everything off so I didn't have to worry about the bugs. I guess "OFF" isn't actually off.

I did it again but this time I played till I felt safe letting the AI finish the race without any input. The AI crossed the finish line and I got both the accolade and Day in a Life trophy. Also, you don't need to stream the race like the trophy says.

Good luck with your race.

A Day In The Life:
Completed a 24 hour race using only realtime progression (and why not stream it?!):confused:

Project CARS website Green Section, Number 6.

*Warning curse words used in comment section*
PSN Trophies (Comments ask about the streaming) Green Trophy pictures, Number 9.
Despite what the trophy description might lead you to believe, you do not need to stream any of the race.

GameFAQ Number 1

I didn't stream it and I got the trophy. They only suggest to you do it, that's all.

I saw your post, I even quoted it.

Yes you are 100% correct the object, in this case the trophy does not say stream. The text that relays the message to the reader reads: (and why not stream it?!). Why put that last bit in? It already mentions the same exact text while the game loads.

Did you click the links? Instead of quoting yourself, how about explaining your stance? Or is there no reason and you are just giving me a hard time?

The Zero to Hero trophy says nothing about starting with Tier 8. I guess you could say I took the long route since I didn't start season 1 with LMP1. My fault. Same for Defending Champ and Triple Crown.

Requesting a Flyby says: (cannot be in last place). I guess that's wrong.

There is no need to quote yourself again. Just so you know I saw what you said twice now.....

Spooky Wooky said
Trophy doesn't say you have to stream.

...and now a thrid.

Edit:
I understand wowbaggerBR. There were other people I've seen question it and thought I be helpful and mention it, a friendly reminder is all. I'm pretty sure the cannot be in last place for the Flyby trophy isn't a suggestion. That's my point here, what is and what isn't required.

With red tyres :D

The most amazing thing is that I can't reproduce this in a practice session, even with the same setup and conditions.

Something is really broken on the physics side. I'd put this on the official forums, but I'm not feeling the need to be shout at.

If 3.0 doesn't fix thigns, that's it. I'm out and I'll make sure to say to everybody I know to get away from Project DISASTER.

UPDATE:

- Le Mans Pit Stop bug.

Pre-2.0 you could use the AI driver if you didn't want to re-take control of the car at any pitstop (just let him run to the finish), I presume that still works.

Today I attempted the Le Mans career invitational. I wanted to do all 24 hours, but cut it down to 8 due to time constraints. My plan was to drive every lap myself, which I did.

However I didn't complete the race. I was driving the Marek LMP2 and everything was going well(ish) until I had to pit for fuel and tyres on lap 66 with nearly 5 and a half hours of the race complete.

During the pit stop I get a message from Stig "there's a problem with one of the wheel nuts, we're working on it." but what he didn't tell me was at the same time, all the air was being let out of my tyres. When I left the pits my FFB felt weird, really loose, almost as if there was no FFB at all. Then I notices the car wouldn't steer round the first corner, I paused the game and went into photo mode to see if I could find out what was wrong. All my tyres were flat!!!! But that wasn't the end.

I struggled on round the track getting overtaken by the guys in 2nd and 3rd place (I was winning) and limped back into the pits. Changed tyres and headed back out the pits. When control was given back to me, the car stopped and wouldn't move off the spot. Nothing worked, forward, reverse, going through the gear, nothing. So that was my race over.

To add insult to injury, I selected "simulate rest of session" and the car started moving again. :confused:

Race over and 5 and a half hours wasted, I quit the session. I will have another go at it tomorrow, but chop it down to 2 hours.

I was really looking forward to this race more than anything else in the game and was using it as a kind of warm up for when I've got time to drive all 24 hours. I think I'll wait until they fix pit stops before trying a long race again, don't want to get 23 hours in and have something like this happen.

SMS goes down further in my estimation.

Today I attempted the Le Mans career invitational. I wanted to do all 24 hours, but cut it down to 8 due to time constraints. My plan was to drive every lap myself, which I did.

However I didn't complete the race. I was driving the Marek LMP2 and everything was going well(ish) until I had to pit for fuel and tyres on lap 66 with nearly 5 and a half hours of the race complete.

During the pit stop I get a message from Stig "there's a problem with one of the wheel nuts, we're working on it." but what he didn't tell me was at the same time, all the air was being let out of my tyres. When I left the pits my FFB felt weird, really loose, almost as if there was no FFB at all. Then I notices the car wouldn't steer round the first corner, I paused the game and went into photo mode to see if I could find out what was wrong. All my tyres were flat!!!! But that wasn't the end.

I struggled on round the track getting overtaken by the guys in 2nd and 3rd place (I was winning) and limped back into the pits. Changed tyres and headed back out the pits. When control was given back to me, the car stopped and wouldn't move off the spot. Nothing worked, forward, reverse, going through the gear, nothing. So that was my race over.

To add insult to injury, I selected "simulate rest of session" and the car started moving again. :confused:

Race over and 5 and a half hours wasted, I quit the session. I will have another go at it tomorrow, but chop it down to 2 hours.

I was really looking forward to this race more than anything else in the game and was using it as a kind of warm up for when I've got time to drive all 24 hours. I think I'll wait until they fix pit stops before trying a long race again, don't want to get 23 hours in and have something like this happen.

SMS goes down further in my estimation.

Did you set failures and damage to off?

I did get the wheel nut thing and in one of my stops, the stig said my gearbox was kaput and the race was over. But since those things are off, they simply let me go out normally.

I set damage to PERFORMANCE IMPACTING as I wanted to run the race as realistic as possible without having my race wrecked.

There was nothing physically wrong with the car because the AI driver drove it away as soon as I chose to simulate.

Did you set failures and damage to off?

I did get the wheel nut thing and in one of my stops, the stig said my gearbox was kaput and the race was over. But since those things are off, they simply let me go out normally.
Must be one of the Stig's jokes. He told me the exact same thing while pitting during a endurance race with LMP1 at Road America.
I was very surprised while I had been taking really care of the car (full damage on). But they ket me out and I had no problems... :confused:

@Spooky Wooky
Bummer man... Nice of you to report.
I just started the Green Hell 25 at full length (practice and qualification). Guess I'm going to scale it down now...
And Le Mans is the next race on the calendar...

@Spooky Wooky
Bummer man... Nice of you to report.
I just started the Green Hell 25 at full length (practice and qualification). Guess I'm going to scale it down now...
And Le Mans is the next race on the calendar...

I thinks it's a roll of the dice to be honest. I am halfway through re-doing LeMans, (stopped for a tea break) cut it down to 2 hours this time. 5 laps in, last chicane I got attacked by a ghost!! It switched my lights on and filled my fuel tank up for me, but also took away my FFB and made the tyres stone cold.

I ice skated around lap 6, pitted for new tyres which solved the heat problem but... my FFB never came back. :confused:

I haven't got time to start the race again today so I'll just have to stick at it.

I thinks it's a roll of the dice to be honest. I am halfway through re-doing LeMans, (stopped for a tea break) cut it down to 2 hours this time. 5 laps in, last chicane I got attacked by a ghost!! It switched my lights on and filled my fuel tank up for me, but also took away my FFB and made the tyres stone cold.

I ice skated around lap 6, pitted for new tyres which solved the heat problem but... my FFB never came back. :confused:

I haven't got time to start the race again today so I'll just have to stick at it.

Set everything off and you should be fine.

I never read about someone who did so and got some of these 🤬 in endurances.

I may as well not bother at all if I'm switching everything off. If I mess up on a corner, or misjudge an overtake there should be a penalty (aero damage or whatever).

I also don't think switching everything off will stop the ghosts or the red tyres.

Red tyres are awesome! Always seem to do my fastest laps on them. It should be a pit strategy option - soft, hard, inters, reds. :lol:

I may as well not bother at all if I'm switching everything off. If I mess up on a corner, or misjudge an overtake there should be a penalty (aero damage or whatever).

I also don't think switching everything off will stop the ghosts or the red tyres.

Red tyres are awesome! Always seem to do my fastest laps on them. It should be a pit strategy option - soft, hard, inters, reds. :lol:

Thing is, there is no reports about ghosts with damage set to off.

Maybe, one day, you'll be able to run endurances properly. But I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

I'll look the cat out of the tree (like we say in Belgium), and wait for both the pit stop bugs with the invisible walls to be sorted, and a mid race save feature before i ever try running endurance races.

Loved doing endurance races in the old Gran Turismo's, so i hope the above is arranged for PCARS sooner than later.

Can someone give me a heads up on the weather pattern of the last round of the wec in career at Bathurst. Does it rain? Or what happens

The Project CARS Le Mans guide (patch 2.0)

There is some things you guys should know before comit to something as long as Le Mans:

- Event structure. There is a nice one hour long practice session and a ridiculously short qualifying (15 minutes in a 13 km course with 30 cars on track at the same time. 4Racers By Racers. Riiiiiiiiiight).

Be aware to the fact that these sessions are held in day time. Set some practice laps on your own at night conditions. Some curves are really hard to find at night at the first couple of laps, mainly Porsche Curves entry (stepping out of the plublic roads bit) and the first left hander in the La Chappel. They are really blind. You have sort of throw the car around, hoping that the turns are there.

- Penalty system. It doesn't work. There are corners where you can pretty much drive with four wheels off and gain time without a short cut warning (Ford Chicanes and the inside bit of Tertre Rouge). There are others where you can't put two wheels over the curb without being told to not do it again, even if you are losing time, or dodging AI nuts.

I did run Le Mans with penalties on only because I didn't let the B-Spec Bob take over. The AI driver WILL get you off the race. Pay attention to this: he WILL get you off the race by short cuts. If you plan to use it, don't set the penalties on. The same goes if you'll get tired at some point and make some mistakes, simply turn it off. I wish I did.

- Damage. Turn it off completely. The reason is simple: if you get a crash and lose the front bodywork, with your lights, that's it. Even if you tell your crew to repair it, they won't and you will wind up without lights to do the whole race.

- Red hot tyres issue. If you're lucky, it won't happen to you. But if you are like me, well, it'll. It's a known issue: when you get yourself to the pits to change tyres, no matter what you do in your strategy, as soon as you get out, the new set will get red hot.

But don't dispair. You'll be able to run two stints easily, without any lost of grip and bad handling. On my third stint with the hot tyres, I noticed a lot of vibration. I'm thinking that, for some reason, my tyres got squared, but I didn't locked up the wheels that much. Anyway, the last stint will be slower, but it's doable and if you are a regular driver, you'll be competitive. At night, it'll get a bit scary though.

- Medium tyres. Tired of the red hot issue on softs I decided to give the medium compound a go in the last 5 hours. What a difference! On my setup, It worked better than the soft ones. I could run 3min28 laps without a hitch. Plus, the three stints became really easy Try it =) (I could even do four, but I was so ahead of the AI that I couldn't be bother)

- Difficulty level. I'm used to play the career with the AI at 80% (sometimes 90%, 85% would be ideal, but...). On Le Mans I chickened out and set it to 80%. Apart from the first few laps, the bots weren't really competitive and this happens simply because they can't handle traffic as fast as you can do. So, in order to get a nice race, you should up the AI a bit. Believe me, as soon as you reach traffic, they'll lose a lot of time.

The AI seems to get strategy really wrong too. In my case, there was five LMP1 cars, including me. I was able to do 12 laps stints (13 if I wanted to). But the AI cars were doing 10 to 11 laps runs. I don't know why.

- Pit stop fuel. Make sure you have a strategy made to the race which has the maximum fuel set. The reason is if you drive to the pits without one, and try to do it manually, sometimes (frequently, really) your crew won't put the max fuel that you can carry.

======
UPDATE:

- Le Mans Pit Stop bug.

UPDATE 2

- Pit stops.
It seems the thing is broken beyond belief. As it stands now, you can experience some of the pit stop routines that have been one the most infuriating of the game's plagues. @Spooky Wooky reports some very embarassing, frustrating and racing ruining bugs while doing Le Mans.

I'd strongly suggest that you make sure that damages and penalties are set to off. Those things are random, but if they happen on your running with damage/penalty systems on, the outcome could be as disastrous.

There is no confirmation that setting everything off avoid pit stop issues. But I can confirm that on my running of the Le Mans 24H, at one stop, The Stig said to me that the gearbox was kaput. The pit stop procedure was resumed naturally and I rejoined the race without a hitch. I got the wheel nut thing a couple of times also, but didn't have flat tyres or anything like that.

Last edited:
I'd strongly suggest that you make sure that damages and penalties are set to off. Those things are random, but if they happen on your running with damage/penalty systems on, the outcome could be as disastrous.

There is no confirmation that setting everything off avoid pit stop issues. But I can confirm that on my running of the Le Mans 24H, at one stop, The Stig said to me that the gearbox was kaput. The pit stop procedure was resumed naturally and I rejoined the race without a hitch. I got the wheel nut thing a couple of times also.
5,5 hours into Green Hell 25hrs now. Damage and penalties off.
Had the Stig telling me they had gearbox problems and that I could possibly loose some gears... Pitstop was longer than normal.
Rejoined the race, no problems so far.
Just gave the wheel to B-spec Bob and watched him for a few laps. He looses about 20" each lap. Will take the wheel back later on this evening.

5,5 hours into Green Hell 25hrs now. Damage and penalties off.
Had the Stig telling me they had gearbox problems and that I could possibly loose some gears... Pitstop was longer than normal.
Rejoined the race, no problems so far.
Just gave the wheel to B-spec Bob and watched him for a few laps. He looses about 20" each lap. Will take the wheel back later on this evening.

20 seconds! That's Gran Turismo's AI slow!

Back