Endurance Racing in Career

• Thread starter Animera
  • 401 comments
Hi all

I am now doing some career mode in PCars and i am now arrived in the First Championship of the Clio cup and I've got a question:

Does somebody know when Invited/Career Endurance Races will pop up to drive in ?

Or make a list in which weak and year they will pop up

I really want to complete them with a friend of mine

Can somebody please help me out

Thanks

You would only get invited to do Le Mans if you get 50 podium finishes in carreer (that includes main championships and invitationals. Don't know about other events, though).

So, 15 hours to go on my first Le Mans in pCARS.

I'm getting the red tyre nonsense every time I get a new set.

But I'm managing to make them last three stints (12 laps each). The last one requires some serious threading the needle skills to not drop the pace too much, because those pesky Audis are rigth on my tail.

I'm in for a treat:

In the last month of season 5:
25 hrs Bathurst,
25 hrs Green Hell
25 hrs Le Mans ...
(all three for the second time around)

Time flies when you're having fun ... :D

Did you raced Le Mans in a LMP1?

How did you managed the tyre going red after pit stops issue?

Yes previous season. But I got DSQ for cutting track (while I was pushed wide a few times) after 6 hrs or so...

But I had the red tire issue in Dubai 6 hrs too, and at Road America, and... also with other cars. Managed to finish without problems like flats or so...

Tried to change the pressure (seems to be a workaround) but it did not help me.

I haven't raced in an endurance event yet, but are you sure that it wasn't just a graphical glitch? You could check the telemetry to see if they were actually overheating, as it may have simply been just four red tyres.

I haven't raced in an endurance event yet, but are you sure that it wasn't just a graphical glitch? You could check the telemetry to see if they were actually overheating, as it may have simply been just four red tyres.

I did check the telemetry.

Even with 10 bars more, the tyres get 45 to 60 degrees hotter than the first set.

Believe me, they get real hot. Is a known issue.

I did check the telemetry.

Even with 10 bars more, the tyres get 45 to 60 degrees hotter than the first set.

Believe me, they get real hot. Is a known issue.

Oh right, yeah just making sure! That must be a race stopping bug. Looks like I'll be waiting until the next patch before I start the WEC anyways!

Oh right, yeah just making sure! That must be a race stopping bug. Looks like I'll be waiting until the next patch before I start the WEC anyways!

I'm doing Le Mans, 12 hours to go and it's manageable.

The last stint of each set get a bit scary, specially at night, but other than that, you can race longer events without a problem.

I finished Bathurst in 6th partly thanks to Stig not telling me about incoming rain, so as I come out of the pits with dry tyres, it starts to rain. Partly because on the next 2 pit stops my crew "accidentally ;)" lost a wheel nut. had a clean race with no spins and really enjoyed driving the RUF, time flew by and I could have easily driven another 2 hours at least, but real life restricts it.

I didn't finish the Green Hell. Driving the Audi R8, 1st attempt, lap 2 I hit a ghost that turned all my tyres cold and took the FFB out of my wheel. 2nd attempt, lap 2 I get DQ for cutting the track too many times. I didn't realise getting bumped off the track and having to SLOW DOWN = cutting.

So yeah, next event is Le Mans, I'm trying to wait until the weekend when I have some time and do 12 hours.

I didn't realise getting bumped off the track and having to SLOW DOWN = cutting.
You did not read my posts about that... :D

That is exactly why I decided to disable penalties in the longest endurance races.
Just finished Bathurst in the McLaren F1. Had a win, but I had a very difficult night while both of my headlights were damaged (stupid concrete walls...):banghead:

So I followed another car to profit from its lights, which went rather well until he decided to pit...
Had to wait half a minute for another car to pass, but it was a Caterham and he was too slow. Two laps later, the McLaren in second position, passed and I followed him for more than an hour. By that time it was getting light, so I could push again.

In the end: a win, a tropy and my first endorsement... :cheers:

Last edited:
You did not read my posts about that... :D

That is exactly why I decided to dusable penalties in the longest endurance races.
Just finished Bathurst in the McLaren F1. Had a win, but I had a very difficult night while both of my headlights were damaged (stupid concrete walls...):banghead:

So I followed another car to profit from its lights, which went rather well until he decided to pit...
Had to wait half a minute for another car to pass, but it was a Caterham and he was too slow. Two laps later, the McLaren in second position, passed and I followed him for more than an hour. By that time it was getting light, si I could push again.

In the end: a win, a tropy and my first endorsement... :cheers:

I did read, but I did also forget to turn penalties off, silly really as the AI seem super aggressive @ Nordschleife. I'm sure I'll get another try at it though.

Sounds like you had an eventful race @ Bathurst, well done for the win. 👍
Until I did the endurance race it was not a track I liked driving, my opinion has changed.

I did read, but I did also forget to turn penalties off, silly really as the AI seem super aggressive @ Nordschleife. I'm sure I'll get another try at it though.

Sounds like you had an eventful race @ Bathurst, well done for the win. 👍
Until I did the endurance race it was not a track I liked driving, my opinion has changed.

You want to try a 2/3 hour endurance online at some point? Get a few people and fill with AI if needed.

I was thinking a fairly wide track though, should help mitigate the AI aggression.

You want to try a 2/3 hour endurance online at some point? Get a few people and fill with AI if needed.

I was thinking a fairly wide track though, should help mitigate the AI aggression.

Definitely! Would be up for LMP1/C1 etc, don't really want to do Silverstone though lol. maybe wait until the next car pack is released so we have even more cars to choose from.

The Project CARS Le Mans guide (patch 2.0)

There is some things you guys should know before comit to something as long as Le Mans:

- Event structure. There is a nice one hour long practice session and a ridiculously short qualifying (15 minutes in a 13 km course with 30 cars on track at the same time. 4Racers By Racers. Riiiiiiiiiight).

Be aware to the fact that these sessions are held in day time. Set some practice laps on your own at night conditions. Some curves are really hard to find at night at the first couple of laps, mainly Porsche Curves entry (stepping out of the plublic roads bit) and the first left hander in the La Chappel. They are really blind. You have sort of throw the car around, hoping that the turns are there.

- Penalty system. It doesn't work. There are corners where you can pretty much drive with four wheels off and gain time without a short cut warning (Ford Chicanes and the inside bit of Tertre Rouge). There are others where you can't put two wheels over the curb without being told to not do it again, even if you are losing time, or dodging AI nuts.

I did run Le Mans with penalties on only because I didn't let the B-Spec Bob take over. The AI driver WILL get you off the race. Pay attention to this: he WILL get you off the race by short cuts. If you plan to use it, don't set the penalties on. The same goes if you'll get tired at some point and make some mistakes, simply turn it off. I wish I did.

- Damage. Turn it off completely. The reason is simple: if you get a crash and lose the front bodywork, with your lights, that's it. Even if you tell your crew to repair it, they won't and you will wind up without lights to do the whole race.

- Red hot tyres issue. If you're lucky, it won't happen to you. But if you are like me, well, it'll. It's a known issue: when you get yourself to the pits to change tyres, no matter what you do in your strategy, as soon as you get out, the new set will get red hot.

But don't dispair. You'll be able to run two stints easily, without any lost of grip and bad handling. On my third stint with the hot tyres, I noticed a lot of vibration. I'm thinking that, for some reason, my tyres got squared, but I didn't locked up the wheels that much. Anyway, the last stint will be slower, but it's doable and if you are a regular driver, you'll be competitive. At night, it'll get a bit scary though.

- Medium tyres. Tired of the red hot issue on softs I decided to give the medium compound a go in the last 5 hours. What a difference! On my setup, It worked better than the soft ones. I could run 3min28 laps without a hitch. Plus, the three stints became really easy Try it =) (I could even do four, but I was so ahead of the AI that I couldn't be bother)

- Difficulty level. I'm used to play the career with the AI at 80% (sometimes 90%, 85% would be ideal, but...). On Le Mans I chickened out and set it to 80%. Apart from the first few laps, the bots weren't really competitive and this happens simply because they can't handle traffic as fast as you can do. So, in order to get a nice race, you should up the AI a bit. Believe me, as soon as you reach traffic, they'll lose a lot of time.

The AI seems to get strategy really wrong too. In my case, there was five LMP1 cars, including me. I was able to do 12 laps stints (13 if I wanted to). But the AI cars were doing 10 to 11 laps runs. I don't know why.

- Pit stop fuel. Make sure you have a strategy made to the race which has the maximum fuel set. The reason is if you drive to the pits without one, and try to do it manually, sometimes (frequently, really) your crew won't put the max fuel that you can carry.

======
UPDATE:

- Le Mans Pit Stop bug.
The 2.0 patch came with notes saying it had corrected the issue where, after changing the control with the AI driver, the player's car would hit an invisible object and got disqualified from the race.

There are reports on the official forums stating that this issue is not corrected at all. So, I'd strongly suggest to not use the AI driver in the Le Mans 24 Hours.

UPDATE 2

- Pit stops.
It seems the thing is broken beyond belief. As it stands now, you can experience some of the pit stop routines that have been one the most infuriating of the game's plagues. @Spooky Wooky reports some very embarassing, frustrating and racing ruining bugs while doing Le Mans.

I'd strongly suggest that you make sure that damages and penalties are set to off. Those things are random, but if they happen on your running with damage/penalty systems on, the outcome could be as disastrous.

There is no confirmation that setting everything off avoid pit stop issues. But I can confirm that on my running of the Le Mans 24H, at one stop, The Stig said to me that the gearbox was kaput. The pit stop procedure was resumed naturally and I rejoined the race without a hitch. I got the wheel nut thing a couple of times also and everything worked.

So, if you don't play the game as it was intendet to be played, it'll work better.

UPDATE 3

- Suspend mode on PS4.
It seems it is risky to use suspend mode on endurances if you have a wheel. I tested it in one round of the WEC and lost all my work (some three hours...). If you play using a DS4, it seems to work fine most of the time. It seems to work better on Xbox One.

Last edited:
^^^ I could not agree more.
Nice guide to a avoid frustration. Been there, done that ...:D
Did not use B-spec Bob up to this moment, but was planning to try. Good to know he makes mistakes...

Last edited:
Thanks for putting in the effort to do that, Wowbagger. I was racing a 50 lap race at the Le Mans track with the Audi GT3 car and set the fuel to max. It became a real handful and I'm questioning whether it would be better to fill the tank to roughly three quarters. The AI at the time did double stints (most I think anyways), and they still won by a massive margin and I finished where I'd probably usually finish (I set difficulty so that I race mid-pack).

Thanks for putting in the effort to do that, Wowbagger. I was racing a 50 lap race at the Le Mans track with the Audi GT3 car and set the fuel to max. It became a real handful and I'm questioning whether it would be better to fill the tank to roughly three quarters. The AI at the time did double stints (most I think anyways), and they still won by a massive margin and I finished where I'd probably usually finish (I set difficulty so that I race mid-pack).

Hummm, take a look at your tune, I'd suggest. Softening the suspension a bit may help.

You will lost a lot of time if you run with less fuel simply because pit stop procedures are very slow.

Hummm, take a look at your tune, I'd suggest. Softening the suspension a bit may help.

You will lost a lot of time if you run with less fuel simply because pit stop procedures are very slow.

Incidentally, I actually tuned my Audi to make it slightly more stable at the same time. It may also have been because of the race starting at around 5pm, but I raced in the exact same conditions before I changed fuel and tweaked a few things and it did feel more stable. I don't know where the fuel is located in the Audi, but I imagine it would increase oversteer/ understeer depending on where it's located. If it will always be quicker in endurance to max the fuel, I'll endure!

Edit: yeah, nevermind! I did two four lap races on Circuit de la Sarthe there. I had 45 litres in the tank on the first go and 120 litres on the second go. There wasn't much difference at all between them. However it was still slippery so I must have made a mistake with my amateur tweak of a few things lol.

Last edited:
I really want to attempt a Le Mans 24hr but I might wait a few patches , but I'd need a mid race save feature as I couldn't possibly sit 24hrs even splitting it with bob !
I know the purists will say it detracts from the 24hr experience and I understand that point of view .

@wowbaggerBR have you tried running some races with tyre wear set to OFF?? I was messing about with it the other night and i felt a lot more grip (as i assume the game automatically sets the tyre pressure to optimum), however occasionally they'd still go red. I thought no tyre wear would also mean tyre temps would remain constant, which they mostly did, but not 100%.

Even so, turning tyre wear off might be a way to find out what the game (or devs) think the best pressure is. Plus i'd like to know if i was only imagining more grip lol

I really want to attempt a Le Mans 24hr but I might wait a few patches , but I'd need a mid race save feature as I couldn't possibly sit 24hrs even splitting it with bob !
I know the purists will say it detracts from the 24hr experience and I understand that point of view .

Detracts nothing.

I've done it simply because I had the time and I'm this crazy!

But, if it was available, I would've use a mid-save feature for sure.

@wowbaggerBR have you tried running some races with tyre wear set to OFF?? I was messing about with it the other night and i felt a lot more grip (as i assume the game automatically sets the tyre pressure to optimum), however occasionally they'd still go red. I thought no tyre wear would also mean tyre temps would remain constant, which they mostly did, but not 100%.

Even so, turning tyre wear off might be a way to find out what the game (or devs) think the best pressure is. Plus i'd like to know if i was only imagining more grip lol

No, I didn't.

But do you wanna know something really weird?

The last to sets of tyres I used didn't get red hot, as the very first ones in the race.

There is something really screwed up on the physics department.

Last edited:
The last to sets of tyres I used didn't get red hot, as the very first ones in the race.

There is something really screwed up on the physics department.
Same here, first and last set were normal, in between: red hot sets...
On the other hand: they gave no big issues either, not flats, not sliding more than usual... it is - you said it - really weird.
(And I did change tire pressure, higher, as well as lower, made no difference in the "red" departement...)

I'm thinking of doing the 24hr on the weekend !
Thanks for the great tips I just got a question in regards to tyre changes !
If I understand correct you did three stints of 12 laps so 36 laps with one set of soft tyres ?
Also what car and tyre wear did you use ? Thanks bud

I'm thinking of doing the 24hr on the weekend !
Thanks for the great tips I just got a question in regards to tyre changes !
If I understand correct you did three stints of 12 laps so 36 laps with one set of soft tyres ?
Also what car and tyre wear did you use ? Thanks bud

Yep, a new set every 36 laps.

RWD P30, tyre wear on normal.

I'm considering to get help from B-spec Bob in Le Mans.
This will be the first time.

Can he be trusted for pitting (fuel, tires etc...) ?
Calling him in requires you to hit the pit request button I guess ?
I did see video's where he is called in several laps in a row, but just refuses to do so. Any known workaround if it should happen ?

Back