Engine Braking in GT Academy

• Thread starter hankolerd
  • 171 comments
It's depressing tbh personally. I'm using these insane times to better myself and I'm improving everyday 1 hour to 2 hours of seat time a day. But when I attempt to try to mimic the arcade driving I screw up a lot more because I'm struggling to tell my brain to do something ludacris...I feel trapped lol but that's my problem onward to more seat time.

Apologies - what I meant was the people doing it in the game won't be able to replicate it IRL, so will suffer compared to the 'true' drivers out there. Whether that's accurate or not, I have no idea. But I wish PD could tinker it towards real-life physics so we'd get a true reflection.

However, as others have said, it is what it is.

Assuming that the 'true' drivers are able to qualify. The condition of the competition is simply to be the fastest drivers within the game and everything that the game allows is at your disposal. So anyone who wants to qualify better adapt this technique as well, in case it becomes useful in the last round.

Just remember not to do it in a real car :P

Arcade loopholes in a global competition is where the buck stops though....

There's nothing arcade about it. It's merely an exception raised to prevent the engine from over-revving. That exception can be exploited in a way that's not intended.

I'll just leave this here...

image.jpg

There's nothing arcade about it. It's merely an exception raised to prevent the engine from over-revving. That exception can be exploited in a way that's not intended.

I've explained it already. It's arcade rev-bouncing because it's not actually feasible to do it In a car in real life.... Only works in game vause the trans isnt watching wheelspeed vs engine speed thus it's arcade.

I've explained it already. It's arcade rev-bouncing because it's not actually feasible to do it In a car in real life.... Only works in game vause the trans isnt watching wheelspeed vs engine speed thus it's arcade.

Then call it arcade, don't call it cheating for it is really disrespectful towards those who have actually took the time to master this game.

This whole thread is just... No words...

ODB
Then call it arcade, don't call it cheating for it is really disrespectful towards those who have actually took the time to master this game.

This whole thread is just... No words...

To be fair, I don't see where he called it cheating anywhere in this thread. He's always referred to it as "arcade tactics" or such. I don't think he has been disrespectful at all in giving his opinion of things here. I think you are jumping on him for no reason.

That makes it unrealistic, not arcade.

It works in the game because the clutch is used to limit the engine speed so that it doesn't go above a certain treshold. It's not caused by the transmission.

To be fair, I don't see where he called it cheating anywhere in this thread. He's always referred to it as "arcade tactics" or such. I don't think he has been disrespectful at all in giving his opinion of things here. I think you are jumping on him for no reason.

Ok, not my intention to jump on anyone I'm sorry... I just find this whole conversation rather futile and also rather disrespectful that is all.

So yeah, sorry if I was bit sharp not meant to be, just felt the need to give my point of view on this also, but yeah, no intention to jump on anyone be sure of that 👍

ODB
Ok, not my intention to jump on anyone I'm sorry... I just find this whole conversation rather futile and also rather disrespectful that is all.

So yeah, sorry if I was bit sharp not meant to be, just felt the need to give my point of view on this also, but yeah, no intention to jump on anyone be sure of that 👍

Yes, it is rather futile but I don't see it being disrespectful at all. Just people voicing their opinions here is all I see.

Hi all , just wanted to know how much time I'm losing by using a 200* wheel , and can I mod it to make it better , would like a better one ,but funds are low :( ????
cheers
(g force wheel (...26.013 so far )

Last edited:
I mean absolutely no judgement in one's character....I've never called it cheating,

It's no doubt impressive and INCREDIBLY FAST and maybe it is futile or maybe I ramble cordially enough to have a good point and someone comes across it and listens and makes changes. peaceful protests...on the real tracks protests happen all the time and it's how the rules get amended, changed and improved (sometimes yes ruined too) so unless you know for a fact that PD or someone won't see this and it slips the chain 100% it's not futile....I guess it's called hope?? lmao....

So what's a fast time in round 1 WITHOUT rev-bouncing anyone know? figured this thread should at least get that data in here too...for future reference/searches

No no what I mean here is in real life the dual clutch transmission has an TCU that reads off the speed sensor in the transmission, the wheel speed/vehicle speed, engine speed and current gear position. It then does math like at a computers pace to solve for the maximum enginespeed in which you drive the ratios and that result let's the TCU know what gears it's allowed to move between via.....a preset transmissions ratio table It refers to so it knows if it can drop a gear or not. So it has everything to do with the transmission and it's TCU and the Lack there of....in GT.....it's why we would do canbus hacks on transmissions on newer cars to get more power out of them and more rpm because on certain newer cars the TCU would forcibly shift up or down and disrupt the power band and also why on the dybo you have to lock the trans out on newer cars to force it not to shift at all...

Proof reading this on my phone .....I'm starting to realize the reason I am against the technique is cause I understand too well how it really works and less about the people using it! So drive on folks...good luck!

I mean absolutely no judgement in one's character....I've never called it cheating,

It's no doubt impressive and INCREDIBLY FAST and maybe it is futile or maybe I ramble cordially enough to have a good point and someone comes across it and listens and makes changes. peaceful protests...on the real tracks protests happen all the time and it's how the rules get amended, changed and improved (sometimes yes ruined too) so unless you know for a fact that PD or someone won't see this and it slips the chain 100% it's not futile....I guess it's called hope?? lmao....

So what's a fast time in round 1 WITHOUT rev-bouncing anyone know? figured this thread should at least get that data in here too...for future reference/searches

Understood my friend and yes, I know you didn't call it cheating, it was just someone else's misinterpretation of your post. That's why I stood in your corner and tried to explain things from my point of view. 👍

As far as a good time without using the unrealistic game techniques, try watching @IMMORTALPILOT 's lap as I'm pretty sure he doesn't use such techniques.

Understood my friend and yes, I know you didn't call it cheating, it was just someone else's misinterpretation of your post. That's why I stood in your corner and tried to explain things from my point of view. 👍

As far as a good time without using the unrealistic game techniques, try watching @IMMORTALPILOT 's lap as I'm pretty sure he doesn't use such techniques.
He does.. not as crazy as some but he uses this method. Check out his rank 1 round 2 time. 👍

He does.. not as crazy as some but he uses this method. Check out his rank 1 round 2 time. 👍

Just watched his replay and he is not even coming close to using the extreme engine braking that was going on in rd. 1. A few times he very momentarily bounced the redline, but nothing out of the unordinary and certainly nothing that would go against real life driving techniques. His lap looks pretty close to how you would do it in real life, no using of the games gimmicky physics to achieve a top time from what I see.

Just watched his replay and he is not even coming close to using the extreme engine braking that was going on in rd. 1. A few times he very momentarily bounced the redline, but nothing out of the unordinary and certainly nothing that would go against real life driving techniques. His lap looks pretty close to how you would do it in real life, no using of the games gimmicky physics to achieve a top time from what I see.
ok thats all i mean just a bit (not as crazy) a mild virsion.

Haven't watched any replays, but have been testing this out a bit. Quickly downshifting 2 gears at a time for each corner and having success. (unfortunately) The second turn,, the tight right hander, I accidentally shifted into 1st and thought I was screwed... but low and behold it's the best I've ever gotten through the corner. I now consistently slam the car into 1st gear going into the corner, apply the gas, which is enough to let the weight even out across the left front and right rear, you can then shift to second and begin accelerating forward without the weight shift that would break the rear end loose and cause the snap oversteer issue I assume many like me fight in that corner. 1st gear also allows me to stay lower in that turn than any other method I've attempted. It's frustrating that this works.

P.S. Cargo, I'm coming for you, down to 24 flat, and was completely sideways off the 2nd to last turn. Without improving my driving, I'm confident I can get to 23.5 just by removing the 2 hiccups in my current best lap. I've beat the 24.0 a few times, but I keep slowing down in the last corner so I don't lose my 24.0 ghost which has an amazing 1st sector for me, which is a really nice rabbit to have for myself.

I might try and get a video up if people are interested in the 2nd corner I'm discussing.

Very mild, to nonexistent I would say. Shouldn't have even been brought up in the same conversation as the others imo.
Would have to disagree it is being used

Turn 1, 4, 5, 8 - its just less noticeable because of how the car hits its redline max so quickly and violently.

Haven't watched any replays, but have been testing this out a bit. Quickly downshifting 2 gears at a time for each corner and having success. (unfortunately) The second turn,, the tight right hander, I accidentally shifted into 1st and thought I was screwed... but low and behold it's the best I've ever gotten through the corner. I now consistently slam the car into 1st gear going into the corner, apply the gas, which is enough to let the weight even out across the left front and right rear, you can then shift to second and begin accelerating forward without the weight shift that would break the rear end loose and cause the snap oversteer issue I assume many like me fight in that corner. 1st gear also allows me to stay lower in that turn than any other method I've attempted. It's frustrating that this works.

P.S. Cargo, I'm coming for you, down to 24 flat, and was completely sideways off the 2nd to last turn. Without improving my driving, I'm confident I can get to 23.5 just by removing the 2 hiccups in my current best lap. I've beat the 24.0 a few times, but I keep slowing down in the last corner so I don't lose my 24.0 ghost which has an amazing 1st sector for me, which is a really nice rabbit to have for myself.

I might try and get a video up if people are interested in the 2nd corner I'm discussing.
That's pretty much what I do every lap.

^^ me too.. And if I don't do that in Druids, I restart. There simply isn't a way to go faster.. I'd love to see a vid of someone matching or beating my 16.8 first sectors by down shifting slowly, and keeping the cars back end planted all the way through the corner..

Would have to disagree it is being used

Turn 1, 4, 5, 8 - its just less noticeable because of how the car hits its redline max so quickly and violently.

What he is doing is pretty much normal as far as I'm concerned. Its pretty much online with what most everyone else is doing as far as "normal" driving goes. I mean, you are going to have at least a slight bouncing off of the redline which is what I'm seeing in his lap. The point I'm trying to make is, he does not appear to be intentionally trying to take advantage of the less than real life physics here as opposed to others who obviously are. You are splitting hairs here when you are including what he is doing as compared to some of the others. At any rate, I respect your opinion so we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I mean, no real need to keep hashing this out. Either way and as far as my opinion goes, each person is going to adapt and find a way to turn the quickest lap possible and I'm perfectly fine with that so long as they aren't cheating. Its been nice chatting with you and the others about this, its just time to move on and give it a rest, at least for me. Good luck and hope you reach all your Academy goals, stay fast. :cheers:

Unrealistic = arcade.

Wrong.

Arcade racers simplify the driving physics so that the car will be easier to drive. They may also add other unrealistic features in order to make the game more fun to play. The driving technique we're talking about here has nothing to do with that.

It's a flaw and it's unrealistic, but it's not arcade.

Latest Posts

Back