Engine Braking in GT Academy

• Thread starter hankolerd
  • 171 comments
No, what's the irony?

What's truly ironic here is that you don't seem to see the difference between the following two statements:

All eagles are birds.

All birds are eagles.

And neither do you.
Birds of a feather flock together.

All arcade games are unrealistic games.

All unrealistic games are arcade games.

There's not enough bits to program reality.

All video games are arcade.

image.jpg

Engine braking is well known in any motorsport. However I don't believe that the engine will last long if you engine brake the same way in real life as some of the top guys does in GT6.

All arcade games are unrealistic games.

All unrealistic games are arcade games.

All games are arcade games then. So why call them arcade games when we can simply call them games?

It's pretty funny that according to your definition, Beetle Adventure Racing belongs to the same category of games as iRacing.

Cb
Engine braking is well known in any motorsport. However I don't believe that the engine will last long if you engine brake the same way in real life as some of the top guys does in GT6.

They don't engine brake, the thread title is misleading.

Last edited:
All games are arcade games then. So why call them arcade games when we can simply call them games?

Yeah exactly, calling things by their own names usually makes things a lot easier :D I mean I know PD calls the game "real driving simulator" but I guess it sells better than "we tried to make it as realistic as we can and ended up with this" :D

It's pretty funny that according to your definition, Beetle Adventure Racing belongs to the same category of games as iRacing.

They don't engine brake, the thread title is misleading.

If doing something that isslowing or stopping a moving object or preventing its motion is not braking then what is braking??

ODB
Yeah exactly, calling things by their own names usually makes things a lot easier :D I mean I know PD calls the game "real driving simulator" but I guess it sells better than "we tried to make it as realistic as we can and ended up with this" :D

What's a simulator and what isn't is down to intent (just like what's drama and what's a thriller is down to intent as well). Just like there are good dramas and bad dramas, good thrillers and bad thrillers, there are good simulators and bad simulators.

Arcade is a genre as well, it's not just merely "unrealistic games", or the games that didn't qualify for the "simulator" title. Arcade games typically focus on being easy to play (but where the levels get more and more challenging), and often add unrealistic elements in order to enhance the gameplay, such as in the Beetle video: lava and dinosaurs. They may allow you to add guns, to deploy oil barrels, collect coins and power-ups etc. Having a number of "lives" and the "game over" screen is also typical for arcade games.

A simulator that's not entirely realistic in all aspects is not an arcade game. It's a simulator with flaws.

Cb
If doing something that isslowing or stopping a moving object or preventing its motion is not braking then what is braking??

But that's not what they're doing. The rev-bouncing is actually cancelling out the engine braking, it's effectively as if you disengaged the clutch.

What's a simulator and what isn't is down to intent (just like what's drama and what's a thriller is down to intent as well). Just like there are good dramas and bad dramas, good thrillers and bad thrillers, there are good simulators and bad simulators.

Arcade is a genre as well, it's not just merely "unrealistic games", or the games that didn't qualify for the "simulator" title. Arcade games typically focus on being easy to play (but where the levels get more and more challenging), and often add unrealistic elements in order to enhance the gameplay, such as in the Beetle video: lava and dinosaurs. They may allow you to add guns, to deploy oil barrels, collect coins and power-ups etc. Having a number of "lives" and the "game over" screen is also typical for arcade games.

A simulator that's not entirely realistic in all aspects is not an arcade game. It's a simulator with flaws.

Yeah, doing sims they have to cut corners that is obvious, so it's just up to the game developers to decide what matters in their vision of realism and what doesn't matter that much...

But yeah, we have VGT in GT witch I'd say is closer to science fiction than reality so what should we make of that?? :D

Don't you guys just love the smell of splitting hairs in the morning :D

ODB
Yeah, doing sims they have to cut corners that is obvious, so it's just up to the game developers to decide what matters in their vision of realism and what doesn't matter that much...

But yeah, we have VGT in GT witch I'd say is closer to science fiction than reality so what should we make of that?? :D

Don't you guys just love the smell of splitting hairs in the morning :D

You can simulate science fiction, there's no contradiction there.

You can simulate science fiction, there's no contradiction there.

Yeah... But that just takes it step further from reality, first they make a game based on their idea of what reality of driving should feel like, next they look at the crystal ball and then they bring us their vision of what future cars should feel and look like...

I mean when trying to simulate reality, don't you think that reality they are trying to achieve should already exist before they can make a serious attemtp to simulate it?

I mean predicting future in itself is unrealistic as far as I'm concerned...

ODB
Yeah... But that just takes it step further from reality, first they make a game based on their idea of what reality of driving should feel like, next they look at the crystal ball and then they bring us their vision of what future cars should feel and look like...

I mean when trying to simulate reality, don't you think that reality they are trying to achieve should already exist before they can make a serious attemtp to simulate it?

I mean predicting future in itself is unrealistic as far as I'm concerned...

It's not unrealistic to predict the future when the prediction is governed by the laws of physics. If you drop a ball from a window we can predict that it will accelerate towards the ground at a certain rate and hit the ground after so many seconds. You can even imagine a ball that does not exist in real life, and still be able predict how it will behave when it's dropped. And that is what a physics engine does, you feed it with information about the simulated object and the physics engine will do the calculations and tell what will happen next.

It's not unrealistic to predict the future when the prediction is governed by the laws of physics. If you drop a ball from a window we can predict that it will accelerate towards the ground at a certain rate and hit the ground after so many seconds. You can even imagine a ball that does not exist in real life, and still be able predict how it will behave when it's dropped. And that is what a physics engine does, you feed it with information about the simulated object and the physics engine will do the calculations and tell what will happen next.
Ok now you're just messing with the concept, you can predict the motion of moving objects using Newton's laws, but it is totally different thing than predicting what is going to happen to car industry for years ahead :D I mean I hope you see what I mean or else I'm going to predict myself out from this thread altogether :D

ODB
Ok now you're just messing with the concept, you can predict the motion of moving objects using Newton's laws, but it is totally different thing than predicting what is going to happen to car industry for years ahead :D I mean I hope you see what I mean or else I'm going to predict myself out from this thread altogether :D

The VGT cars are visions of the future, not predictions. When Chaparral attaches a laser beam to their car it's not because they predict that in 2025, cars will actually be propulsed by laser. Instead it's an idea, a "what if".

The VGT cars are visions of the future, not predictions. When Chaparral attaches a laser beam to their car it's not because they predict that in 2025, cars will actually be propulsed by laser. Instead it's an idea, a "what if".

So you would say that VGT's are most likely quite unrealistic?

ODB
So you would say that VGT's are most likely quite unrealistic?

No, because even the laser car works within the laws of physics so even though the technology isn't there yet I'd say that it's a plausible concept. The theory behind it is certainly realistic.

No, because even the laser car works within the laws of physics so even though the technology isn't there yet I'd say that it's a plausible concept. The theory behind it is certainly realistic.

Heh you're absolutely right, but still we're in the realm of science fiction with that stuff and words like fiction and reality simply just doesn't match... But yeah, for me it's just no wonder that engine won't explode for making "wrong" moves with gearbox when we have cars to drive from future :D Maybe they should have concentrated giving the game hint more actual reality instead of their visions :crazy: heheh, naah, it's a great game and I love it very dearly don't get me wrong, but I have to admit that I have lost the point of this conversation a while a go already, so all I can say is have a great weekend mate :cheers:

Anyway if you don't like the engine braking because it is unrealistic then don't use it. You don't need handbrake or unrealistic engine braking to get P1

Back