Engine Compatibility

• Thread starter Lucas1228
  • 10 comments
It's a K-family engine, so any of the other K engines should theoretically be "compatible", depending on what exactly you mean by that, including the tiny K8, the miller cycle KJ-ZEM, and the sonorous KL-ZE.

It's a K-family engine, so any of the other K engines should theoretically be "compatible", depending on what exactly you mean by that, including the tiny K8, the miller cycle KJ-ZEM, and the sonorous KL-ZE.
The Millenia came with the 2.0 KF, 2.5 KL and 2.3 KJ as standard, depending on market and badge (Eunos 800, Xedos 9). However, despite sharing the 2.5's block, the KJ has one different engine mount to all the others which you'd need to account for.

As for K8...

MX3Miller008.JPG

... that'll definitely go in the same space a KJ fits into, and vice versa.

It's worth highlighting how absolutely awesome the KL-ZE can sound when tuned to the max (and with ITBs):

K-series motors sound great, but they're no Busso.

:P

I know someone with a KL in an NB and it sounds phenomenal without being obnoxious like they can be in the hands of "enthusiasts".

K-series motors sound great, but they're no Busso.

:P

I know someone with a KL in an NB and it sounds phenomenal without being obnoxious like they can be in the hands of "enthusiasts".

TWR V6 >>>>> Ferrari V6 > Honda VTEC V6 > KL-ZE / Busso > The rest

Busso sounds good, but not as good as the old Dino V6 and not as good as the NSX V6 (or anywhere near the 6R4's apocalyptic V6). I'd rate the KL and Busso about on par. Busso has more depth & bass but the KL has more melody, to my ears.

I take it you've never heard a VR6 with ITBs?

Personally, I put the VR6 in "The Rest" category, though probably near the top of that stack. Too warbly for me. I've heard some pretty aggressive ones, but none I've actually liked.

Last edited:
TWR V6 >>>>> Ferrari V6 > Honda VTEC V6 > KL-ZE / Busso > The rest

Busso sounds good, but not as good as the old Dino V6 and not as good as the NSX V6 (or anywhere near the 6R4's apocalyptic V6). I'd rate the KL and Busso about on par. Busso has more depth & bass but the KL has more melody, to my ears.
I mean...I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you (well, I am regarding the TWR as used in the 6R4*; re: obnoxious**), but there's something to be said for availability. The Busso was made for a quarter century (and sure, some sound better than others) and the Ks saw use in a wide array of cars with significant production figures...but you should be prepared to offer up your first-born to get your hands on the others.

*Which is only slightly better in the XJ220.

**Of course I acknowledge that this is my own position and others are entitled to their own.

Back