Engine sounds... The bad ones

I'm afraid AC disillusioned me a little when it updated to 1.0.4 RC... the sound changes broke one of my favorite cars (Corvette Daytona Prototype). Game got a lot slower, too, like Spa looks glorious but stutters like crazy even on minimal detail. Can't race at all if there are more than 2 or 3 AI cars, it becomes undriveable with lots and lots of lag... meaning no career mode for me.

So yeah, I'm actually considering getting the 360 back out of storage and hooking up FM4 again. I'm also trying to justify buying a Fanatec Clubsport wheel :) No FM5 though, I don't have an XBone either...

To me I'll always appreciate FM4's engine sounds simply because they get the sensation of flooring it right - I mean even a street car should sound pretty angry if you give it everything and rev it up. I have a Sentra Spec V like in the game, and I almost think my car's stock sound is more aggressive than FM4 got it. And the important thing is, not all of us have high-end sound systems or the luxury of being able to turn it up loud all the time. The game has to sound good even at hushed night time volume. And FM4 does that :)

Yes, YES it does! Odd thing to say, but I enjoy the game at low volume as much as I do at higher decibels.

I think PGR4 is still the best sounding game of last generation.

It had potential. The turbo sounds were insane. The on-throttle sounds were okay - good. Off-throttle sounds...nightmare. Horribly synthesized.

Like I said, the game has tremendous potential. I'm sure they'll bring it back on current gen. Though it's going to be arcadey as heck most likely.

It had potential. The turbo sounds were insane. The on-throttle sounds were okay - good. Off-throttle sounds...nightmare. Horribly synthesized.

Like I said, the game has tremendous potential. I'm sure they'll bring it back on current gen. Though it's going to be arcadey as heck most likely.

It had more than potential. Turbo sounds were insane, yes, but I'm focusing on the accuracy of the sounds, which was very impressive. Forza has actually used samples from pgr4 and still does.

^^ Correct. They borrowed expertise from one of the PGR4 sound guys. I believe he had a lot to do with FM4's sound design. I forget the gentleman's name.

No wonder the difference between F3 and 4 is practically apples and oranges.

Muscle cars don't sound anything remotely close to their IRL counterparts.

Not true. While there are a few details missing, and some of them do sound rather similar to each other.. they have done a good job all in all. Thank God they don't sound loopy or synthesized like they do in most games. I've read a tonne of feedback from muscle car owners on various forums, praising FM4 on nailing the sound, but then again, that's their opinion.

Muscled up beauties sound just fine, including the modern ones. Oh.. the Vettes... :bowdown:

Thought I'd love to hear unique and authentic sounds for both on and off throttle.

@Slash Out of curiosity, what kind of sound system are you on and how do you have it set up in the game? I know it may not be a major deciding factor, but it does have somewhat of an impact.

Typical TV speakers. I Han out at tracks a lot and trust me they don't sound anything remotely similar like real life.

Typical TV speakers. I Han out at tracks a lot and trust me they don't sound anything remotely similar like real life.
Oh, where cars are usually modified, and not stock. Probably resulting in them not sounding how they typically would?

:P

Let me say I think that Forza does an awesome job on the vehicle sounds, however; I was using the Integra-R last night and noticed that the intake sound before hitting the infamous VTEC switchover has been toned down from F4. Anything above 5-6k rpm sounds awesome but anything before sounds muted. Hmmm..I know the S2000 sounds dead on ( I used to own an AP1, fairly tuned up and the F5 sounds are insane). I miss the FXX though. That nearly woke the dead with my home theater.

@Havok_ _
Oh gosh.. some of the Ferrari's sound eerily close to the real thing. You just HAVE to wake up the neighbors while racing those!

As far as some the Honda/Acura sound goes... yes they are a bit funny... below the VTEC range, they go half-mute. It's not like that at all IRL.

Don't know why they haven't fixed that. This was somewhat of a bug in FM4 as well.. the Viper SRT-10 for instance or the Ferrari F430 has NO engine sound up til 2000 revs! There's idle sound.. then there's no sound.. and then the sound just pops up after 2000 revs... :lol:

Same with the VTEC sounds... it's a weak growl that without warning turns into a shrill VTEC sound which they nailed perfectly.. but the transition isn't so sharp in contrast, compared to real life. Horizon 1 actually had better sounds in a way that they were mixed and blended better. A more clean, natural and smooth sound so to speak.

Heck.. I love sound designs of both. Can't tell you how much I'm itching to buy FM5 and X1. Unfortunately, can only buy one console ATM.

Man.. please.. get a proper sound system. THEN compare them to real life/track sounds.

:D
I have hooked it up to a good spun system and it still sounds like garbage.

Oh, where cars are usually modified, and not stock. Probably resulting in them not sounding how they typically would?

:P
Actually quite a few of them are stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Havok_ _
Oh gosh.. some of the Ferrari's sound eerily close to the real thing. You just HAVE to wake up the neighbors while racing those!

As far as some the Honda/Acura sound goes... yes they are a bit funny... below the VTEC range, they go half-mute. It's not like that at all IRL.

Don't know why they haven't fixed that. This was somewhat of a bug in FM4 as well.. the Viper SRT-10 for instance or the Ferrari F430 has NO engine sound up til 2000 revs! There's idle sound.. then there's no sound.. and then the sound just pops up after 2000 revs... :lol:

Same with the VTEC sounds... it's a weak growl that without warning turns into a shrill VTEC sound which they nailed perfectly.. but the transition isn't so sharp in contrast, compared to real life. Horizon 1 actually had better sounds in a way that they were mixed and blended better. A more clean, natural and smooth sound so to speak.

Heck.. I love sound designs of both. Can't tell you how much I'm itching to buy FM5 and X1. Unfortunately, can only buy one console ATM.
You'll see that in F5 with the B16's and 18's as well as the K series the VTEC is pretty much the only thing you hear, especially in stock form. Those cars are the only one's I have actually noticed sounding slightly off.

If you love sounds, please, please take the FD RX or the Supra out for a spin when the XB1 arrives at your home, the turbo's sounds are a revelation in comparison to F4 which says alot!

Back