Engine sounds... The bad ones

United Kingdom
Nowhere special
SweetLilPoppet
SweetLilPoppet
So, forza engine sounds are 99% bliss, but what about engine sounds which are bad/ inaccurate??? Are there even any?? Curious for people's thoughts

I don't like the way the Lamborghini V12's sound.

They sound far too mechanical and raspy, gets annoying after a while.

Same with the F50 from cockpit view, sounds mechanical.
The F50 sounds really nice if you look back from 3rd person though.

The one that annoys me is the NA Miata/MX5. It's got an annoying warble at ~6000rpm, presumably as it shifts from one sample to another. Most noticeable in the higher gears as it shifts through that range slower.

It's a shame because I've got a real one. I'd drive it all the time in game, but it's just annoying to listen to.

The one that annoys me is the NA Miata/MX5. It's got an annoying warble at ~6000rpm, presumably as it shifts from one sample to another. Most noticeable in the higher gears as it shifts through that range slower.

It's a shame because I've got a real one. I'd drive it all the time in game, but it's just annoying to listen to.

Gah. Since it's my go-to car for mostly everything in the lower classes, I deal with this far too often. The wa-wa-wa'ing just drives me nuts.

All the rotaries apart from the 787b get tiring very fast.

And be prepared for the most mechanical sound in the game if you put a racing exhaust and racing cam on an 86.

And be prepared for the most mechanical sound in the game if you put a racing exhaust and racing cam on an 86.

What do you mean by "mechanical"???

I don't really know how to explain it, but you can try it for yourself.

It's kinda like there is someone banging pots and pans impossibly fast, compared to something like an ITR, which sounds like butter.

I don't really know how to explain it, but you can try it for yourself.

It's kinda like there is someone banging pots and pans impossibly fast, compared to something like an ITR, which sounds like butter.

Well surely that's how a car with race cam and exhaust would sound??

Not at the level that it sounds in game though.
Tuned 86

That's kinda what the stock 86 sounds like in game, modding it just makes it unrealistic.

Shame, the racing versions sound really nice in real life.

^ That's basically how FM4 is -- stock production cars roaring like stripped-out, straight-piped beasts. The sounds are pretty good and generally accurate, but too raspy at times. I find the 2002 Turbo a bit annoying for the same reason.
Gah. Since it's my go-to car for mostly everything in the lower classes, I deal with this far too often. The wa-wa-wa'ing just drives me nuts.
Huh, I never noticed because I always ditch the original engine for a rotary in every Forza. :lol:

I think the 787b, it sounds good but just like GT5, at high rpms its just annoying, it sounds fake and if you hit the rev limiter, your ears will start to bleed. Others, I'll nominate the AM DBR9 and the McLaren F1 GT1 car.

I think the 787b, it sounds good but just like GT5, at high rpms its just annoying, it sounds fake and if you hit the rev limiter, your ears will start to bleed. Others, I'll nominate the AM DBR9 and the McLaren F1 GT1 car.

👍 The DBR9 sounds like part of the sample is missing, we're left with a single shrill tone that is as annoying as an insect in your ear. Shame really, since I think it sounds awesome in real life. McLaren F1 GTR sounds like a bad microphone similar to a lot of the footage from a DVD I have with onboard of that car... you get the gist of how it should sound but its portrayal is weak.

Still, as the OP mentions, 99% of the cars sound awesome, and while it's debatable whether they are too raspy to be stock, I'm fine with erring on that side rather than the alternative. To me the sound is as interactive as the handling sensations (e.g. ff in the wheel), and particularly with road cars it makes a big difference in how close you can drive the car to its limit if the sound deparment did a halfway decent job.

Off the top of my head, the LFA is probably the biggest offender.

Agreed, the LFA's one of the cars that got the short end.

I don't like the way the Lamborghini V12's sound.

They sound far too mechanical and raspy, gets annoying after a while.

Same with the F50 from cockpit view, sounds mechanical.
The F50 sounds really nice if you look back from 3rd person though.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some of the V12s in the game don't sound growly enough, and the engine whine tends to get to me sometimes. This is why I deaden the mids and treble on my system a bit.. the cars sound a little closer to what they do IRL. Besides, a little highs and mids deadening is necessary in FM4, because of the way the sound has been engineered.

I miss the cam and exhaust upgrade sounds from FM2. Those were very very nice.

What do you mean by "mechanical"???

Mechanical, as in synthesized.. as if layers of samples aren't blending in properly, as opposed to sound recorded off the real thing and being presented in the game as is. Not always possible unfortunately, due to hardware limitations and how deep you can get into it with the programming and code bit.

This is something they've included in FM5 I believe, where you hear the engine sputtering between shifts... as well as positive/negative torque being clearly audible.

I think the Forza 4 sounds overall are very good, a million times better than GT5 or GT6. I can not even really complain about it. Some people seem to complain about the rotaries sounding off? I've driven rotaries many times and they sound pretty spot on!

^^ Agreed. Here's my gripe though:

Not Forza, but generally in games, particularly driving games, I think devs need to take some of the focus away from graphics and pool in resources exclusively towards sound design.

I think for well over a decade in gaming now, the focus is almost always exclusively on graphics.

It would be nice to see sound get as much attention as graphics, see a healthy balance between the marriage, so to speak.

Guess the V8 Supercars sounds a bit to low pitch and roaring , they have a more high pitched and screaming sound to them in real life .
Real Life :

Forza 4 :

What kind of sound system and console dash settings you running mate?

I felt they didn't sound high-pitched enough in FM3 coupled with the V8 roar, which they most certainly do in FM4!

The only one I've come across is the 3-rotor engine you can drop on the RX-7. In FM4 it's supposed to be the Furai's engine, in FM3 it was the 20B from the Cosmo. It still sounds the same. Like a 2-rotor. This is the only inaccurate sample I've heard so far.

Other than that, the sounds are pure sex in FM4. Samples are so accurate it hurts, and even though a bit too Hollywood-ish, as in over-the-top, the attention to detail Turn10 has achieved is very impressive. In some cases, I wish they weren't so loud though. They don't go over the limit of annoyance like in Shift (*pukes a bit on mouth), but I'm sure city cars shouldn't sound like full-blown racecars.

I am a very happy car enthusiast... Thanks Forza.

I remember loving but not loving the Mercedes DTM car... its handling was so awesome but I would get tired of the engine sound. I don't know how realistic it was, but I usually ended up switching to the Takata Dome NSX instead even though it felt a bit weird and I never put together a good tune that dialed out its little issues.

Haven't played FM4 since I got Assetto Corsa but I do miss it sometimes :)

The only one I've come across is the 3-rotor engine you can drop on the RX-7. In FM4 it's supposed to be the Furai's engine, in FM3 it was the 20B from the Cosmo. It still sounds the same. Like a 2-rotor. This is the only inaccurate sample I've heard so far.

Other than that, the sounds are pure sex in FM4. Samples are so accurate it hurts, and even though a bit too Hollywood-ish, as in over-the-top, the attention to detail Turn10 has achieved is very impressive. In some cases, I wish they weren't so loud though. They don't go over the limit of annoyance like in Shift (*pukes a bit on mouth), but I'm sure city cars shouldn't sound like full-blown racecars.

I am a very happy car enthusiast... Thanks Forza.

True: Hollywoodish. Absolutely: over the top attention to detail... I know you didn't put it like that exacly.. but still!

I just love it man.. and I mean truly love how my sound system starts breathing heavily the moment I floor that F40... the growl you get on low revs... I can feel the vibration from the floor to my chair and rear end.. in some cases it makes it up to my chest.. and as you go full throttle.. it turns shrill.. the turbo whoosh is the most erotic sound you've ever heard...and the decibals go higher begging for you to turn down the volume.. but you don't... you just... DON'T!

^^ That's just one example of how every single race has been nothing short of an orgasmic experience. FM4 has truly achieved remarkable benchmarks in terms of sound; I would not be surprised if in one day it goes down in gaming history books as having among the best car sounds ever featured in a game. And by best I don't just mean pleasing to the ear, but true to life. I just love watching Top Gear or other car review videos, and then testing out the same car in Forza. The handling characteristics are very similar and the sound is damn nearly spot on almost every time.

Enjoy Forza. Though there's a game called Dirt 3 (I'm sure you're familiar with it haha) that has nailed practically every aspect of sound to the point of perfection.

Oh and yeah, you're going to enjoy the sounds way more like this: switch sound focus to tires. This way the engine volume sounds just about right, and when the tires break lose or you're on the edge of traction... ahh...audio bliss.

I remember loving but not loving the Mercedes DTM car... its handling was so awesome but I would get tired of the engine sound. I don't know how realistic it was, but I usually ended up switching to the Takata Dome NSX instead even though it felt a bit weird and I never put together a good tune that dialed out its little issues.

Haven't played FM4 since I got Assetto Corsa but I do miss it sometimes :)

Tried out FM5 yet? I know the feeling BTW. Had gone to Dirt 3 and Horizon for a while.. but once went back to FM4.. didn't realize how much I missed it. Now I'm hooked again, and playing ONLY that! *Just like ol' times*

Tried out FM5 yet? I know the feeling BTW. Had gone to Dirt 3 and Horizon for a while.. but once went back to FM4.. didn't realize how much I missed it. Now I'm hooked again, and playing ONLY that! *Just like ol' times*

I'm afraid AC disillusioned me a little when it updated to 1.0.4 RC... the sound changes broke one of my favorite cars (Corvette Daytona Prototype). Game got a lot slower, too, like Spa looks glorious but stutters like crazy even on minimal detail. Can't race at all if there are more than 2 or 3 AI cars, it becomes undriveable with lots and lots of lag... meaning no career mode for me.

So yeah, I'm actually considering getting the 360 back out of storage and hooking up FM4 again. I'm also trying to justify buying a Fanatec Clubsport wheel :) No FM5 though, I don't have an XBone either...

To me I'll always appreciate FM4's engine sounds simply because they get the sensation of flooring it right - I mean even a street car should sound pretty angry if you give it everything and rev it up. I have a Sentra Spec V like in the game, and I almost think my car's stock sound is more aggressive than FM4 got it. And the important thing is, not all of us have high-end sound systems or the luxury of being able to turn it up loud all the time. The game has to sound good even at hushed night time volume. And FM4 does that :)

Back