Enthusia final build impressions (Japanese version) *updated*

• Thread starter SaintKamus
  • 106 comments
***update***

This update is regarding the cars, the simulation of the driving experience is defenetly much better than in GT4 after some comparassions i've done, first off, in GT4 the brakes work too well, (even with N tyres) in enthusia the braking is perfect, if you miss your brake point, the car will either understeer or oversteer, resulting in you going off the track, i was surprised on how well this is done, in tsukuba, you have to brake a lot earlier in the last corner with most cars. Tsukuba is the only track i'm using as comparassion, because i think they are about the same in both games, but the last corner before the long straight has a bit more angle than the GT4 one, oh, and i just checked and this is also in the real track, so the Enthusia version is more accurate, but in nurburgring i think the GT4 version stomps the Enthusia one, (not to say their version is bad, it does have most of the bumps, but if you look at a video comparassion you'll see that it's missing some) so i won't use nurburgring to compare in any future updates.
Anyway, back to the cars... the drive train layouts are MUCH better done. specially FF, i think FF is all wrong in GT4, the cars understeer a tad too much, in enthusia the underteer feels very accurate, and only when you push a car to it's limit will you see it. (used an integra for this comparassion)
then there's the transmitions... one of my main complains in GT4 is the fact that you can drive ANY car as if it was a manual transmision, even when the car doesn't have MT as an option in real life... well, in enthusia this is done right, in automatic cars you are able to choose "semi automatic" (so far i've seen this on the atenza, haven't checked other cars for "auto only" option). and let me tell you, it's totally different from a Manual tranny, the shifts feel smoother, just like in a real automatic transimsion. all in all, Konami seems to have gotten just about EVRY aspect of the cars right, you will realize this the more cars you try.

I allready mentioned the sounds do exeed the ones in GT4... this game would be PERFECT if it had more real circuits and at least LAN support (online would be great...)

I saw the scores Famitsu gave to this game... and i can see why they scored it kinda low, having 2 real circuits only is really a bummer.. plus, no LAN or online support... BUT, it's very obvious to me that they didn't spend enough time trying to have fun with the game, the driving experience is truly the best in ANY ps2 game so far, it exeeds GT4 easily in this regard, the steering wheel feels just like the one in your real car, i'm even thinking about modding my wheel and putting a bigger one because you actually use the 900 degrees a lot more than in GT4.

All i can say is that if GT4 had this level of simulation acuracy it would be the perfect game.. even with no damage modeling.

I kinda feel sorry that this game is not selling well, it's really on a class of it's own when it comes to the pure driving experience, but it's a bummer Konami didn't include more real circuits and at least LAN support like GT4, that would've made it a LOT more appealing, you feel like this game has tons of wasted potential just because those omitions.

i really hope PD goes to this lengths on their next GT sim, it would then be perfect...

The AI is ok, nothing spectacular, but it WILL give you room if you are next to a car (it won't drive you of the track by staying on the perfect line like the "AI" in GT4).

***end update***

Well, got to play it today, must say i'm quite pleased. here are my initial impressions:

-Tracks, they are very good... just not as good as the tracks in GT4, Tsukuba looks about the same, and i've checked out a few others which are ok... Nurburgring is pretty well done, but... the GT4 version got even the slightests bumps done right, in enthusia the track is very well done, but it lacks some of the bumps, the color palette seems better in enthusia though, in GT4 the track is a lighter green than the real track has, in enthusia it's fine.

-Driving experience. Defenetly a step avobe GT4, not to say that they are badly done in GT4.. but this is better in some ways.
First off, you have a better sense of space somehow, and you can feel when you lose control of the car more than you do in GT4, GT4 with "N" tyres is close to this, but i defenetly have to say that this will be the benchmark when it comes to driving realisim, i'll have more on this as soon as my GF is off the TV... i only played with the subaru rally car and did about 8'05.xxx with it (you get to start from still position on time attacks, not rolling start.)
the cars not only handle better, but the shifting timingfeels very real too.

-Sounds, defenetly better than in GT4, but with room for imrpovement.. the tyre sound seems just "ok". The "transmision" sound on modified cars sounds a LOT better than in GT4, nice backfire effects too on the rally car.

-Visuals.. no widescreen (bummer) no progressive scan (expected) other than that, very good graphics, allthough GT4 is better.

anyway, i have to stop right there because i have to go out, but i'll give more impressions when i get more done in the game.

I'll just post my message here instead of the other thread since you started a new one :)

I played Enthusia Life mode for a bit and your car will earn points from racing to "level up" to a maximum of Lv. 10. The driver (you) will also level up. Think of the HP (health) and Leveling Up like a basic RPG game. In this mode you start off racing in the "RN" section and work your way up the ranks. There's RN - RIV - RIII - RII - RI - RS and I'm currently on RII. You win and earn points to raise your ranking, which I believe will unlock each of those "Rx" sections depending on the rank you've achieved. I didn't pay much attention to it in the beginning but once I was above 500th place it opened "RII". (You start at 1000th place and eventually work your way to the top).

The tracks I've played were mainly street courses where some looked similiar to the highway tracks from Ridge Racer games :) I haven't tried Nurburgring because it's not available in Enthusia Life mode yet.

This game might be frustrating for people who are used to riding walls, cutting corners, and hitting other cars to overtake. Doing these things in Enthusia will make you lose points meaning you and your car won't be able to level up. And unlocking cars through the roulette thing was pissing me off. For 4-5 races in a row it wouldn't unlock any car for me......:( it would be better if I can pick the car to unlock for winning the race while keeping the random roulette for losing. This way would make winning more rewarding.

Just played it, the physics are up there with GT4. There is a clutch button also. Played it with TCS off and a DFP wheel, and it's very fun. Unlike GT4, you can actually do donuts and it leaves skid marks. It's a lot easier to drift in this game than GT4. After messing with this game for 30 min, I was able to drift the Tsukuba Circuit with a stock 180SX.

But I totally agree with SaintKamus... engine sounds are good, BGmusic is terrible, graphics are decent compared to GT4.

tksxe_10
Just played it, the physics are up there with GT4. There is a clutch button also. Played it with TCS off and a DFP wheel, and it's very fun. Unlike GT4, you can actually do donuts and it leaves skid marks. It's a lot easier to drift in this game than GT4. After messing with this game for 30 min, I was able to drift the Tsukuba Circuit with a stock 180SX.

But I totally agree with SaintKamus... engine sounds are good, BGmusic is terrible, graphics are decent compared to GT4.

oh, the music sucks? that's the first thing i turn off in all the sims i have, so no worries for me :P

And the default setting for music is a bit loud compared to in-game engine and tires sounds, so it's better to turn it down a bit .. or turn it off completely :)

SaintKamus
-Visuals.. no widescreen (bummer) no progressive scan (expected) other than that, very good graphics, allthough GT4 is better.

I know things can change between the japanese and american games, but i don't hold out to much hope of them adding widescreen support, which is a major bummer to more and more people.

I ran too fast and hit a big rock once in rally (sort of out of the course)
and I got stuck and I had to restart the race ...
there is something never happen in GT4 ... :)

edit> I tried to drive the toyota minivan, it was funny as hell
btw, the game keeps remind me GT4 ...
although the gameplay is quite different, the track locations and the cars are quite similar to GT4

Wow, I hope that my copy arrives in early next week, can't wait...
here some pictures ....
enthusia-professional-racing-20050315094459192.jpg

enthusia-professional-racing-20050315094457536.jpg

enthusia-professional-racing-20050315094459802.jpg

enthusia-professional-racing-20050315094455458.jpg

I find it even better than GT4, but I am pissed at the mods here....I posted a review yesterday and it was not accepted as a new thread.

mods/admins, considering what has been already said about Enthusia and realizing that - finally - there is a PS2 racing game out there that can be compared to GT4, could you create a specific forum for this game (like you did for the GTA and NfS games) ?

If we stick to one/two/three threads in this forum, with lots of pages to browse it will become difficult and annoying to get to all the infos that will soon be posted about this game.

Now, to the guys that have Enthusia (or the Enthusia demo) already and have been kind enough to post here their reviews, I have some questions:

1. Are there only six cars in each race? A long time ago, somewhere on this thread, I remeber to read that in a video there were 8 cars in the track (not much difference, but still that gave me some hope)

2. How real is the night driving, if you have tried it?

3. Does this game have endurance races?

4. How does the "random desert track generator" work? And how long are the desert stages? (If they are "Dakar-like" they should be hundreds of kms long)

5. How is the AI?

6. When you say that there is "clutch", do you mean that you have to press the "clutch" button before you press the gear up/down button/paddle?

7. Can the weather change during a race?

8. Do you have to pass "license tests" in order to enter some races or championships?

9. Is the game a big game like the GT ones are (meaning, do you reckon you'll spend months to unlock all things, get all cars, race all races)?

10. Can you enter a race with an overpowered car (against Lupos and Miatas) or are there limitations to the cars you can use in each race or championship?

I think 10 questions are enough and if you are kind enough to answer them all I'll promiss I won't ... stop asking more and more questions :D

I´m in a hurry now, just wanna sugest to the mods to make this thread a sticky, so we can use it to talk about the game.

And I must be getting the game by this weekend. :D

I´ll read this thread later.

Hun200kmh
1. Are there only six cars in each race? A long time ago, somewhere on this thread, I remeber to read that in a video there were 8 cars in the track (not much difference, but still that gave me some hope)

2. How real is the night driving, if you have tried it?

3. Does this game have endurance races?

4. How does the "random desert track generator" work? And how long are the desert stages? (If they are "Dakar-like" they should be hundreds of kms long)

5. How is the AI?

6. When you say that there is "clutch", do you mean that you have to press the "clutch" button before you press the gear up/down button/paddle?

7. Can the weather change during a race?

8. Do you have to pass "license tests" in order to enter some races or championships?

9. Is the game a big game like the GT ones are (meaning, do you reckon you'll spend months to unlock all things, get all cars, race all races)?

10. Can you enter a race with an overpowered car (against Lupos and Miatas) or are there limitations to the cars you can use in each race or championship?

1. 6 cars only, but for example in a race on a mountain track(Dragon rage) there are only 2 cars(You and AI)

2. Well, to me it's real ;) LOL, funny question, but i know what you mean, headlights are working and on dragon rage you can see reflections on guardrails from your lights, looks cool.

3. I don't know yet.

4. I don't know yet either.

5. Hmm, it seems to be pretty good, sometimes there are some collisions, but its not bad :).

6. Nope, you don't need to press clutch when changing gears, but its usefull when drifting - clutch kicks and clutch lock.

7. I don't think so, but miracles happen ;)

8. No, but some races are limited, for example: fr cars only

9. I do';t know how long it will take to unlock everything, but I believe that enthusia won't get me bored too fast.

10. It depends on a race.

Hun200kmh
mods/admins, considering what has been already said about Enthusia and realizing that - finally - there is a PS2 racing game out there that can be compared to GT4, could you create a specific forum for this game (like you did for the GTA and NfS games) ?

If we stick to one/two/three threads in this forum, with lots of pages to browse it will become difficult and annoying to get to all the infos that will soon be posted about this game.
Ok, now I have read the thread. :)

And I agree with Hun200kmh, Enthusia seems to be good enough to deserve it´s own forum, otherwise the Playstation2 forum will soon be filled with Enthusia threads.

I can´t wait to play this game now. :nervous:

Thx for your reply, Kamkor 👍

If any kind soul could make a "Enthusia Car list" that would be much apreciated :)

And, pleeeeaaasseee, if you find in the game a Fiat 131 Abarth (the rally car, not the road version), post a picture of it (or a link to it). I really want to drive that car and pretend I'm Markku Alen or Walter Rohrl !!!! :D

Hun200kmh
Thx for your reply, Kamkor 👍

If any kind soul could make a "Enthusia Car list" that would be much apreciated :)

And, pleeeeaaasseee, if you find in the game a Fiat 131 Abarth (the rally car, not the road version), post a picture of it (or a link to it). I really want to drive that car and pretend I'm Markku Alen or Walter Rohrl !!!! :D

lisbon???
hum...I´m almost playng the game...
(hun200km/h tens uma pic la em cima do fiat...

FatAssBR
Ok, now I have read the thread. :)

And I agree with Hun200kmh, Enthusia seems to be good enough to deserve it´s own forum, otherwise the Playstation2 forum will soon be filled with Enthusia threads.

I can´t wait to play this game now. :nervous:

I agree If need For Speed has its own forun with barely 57 posts, Enthusia with a better track record should squat NFS space :)

skiter
lisbon???
hum...I´m almost playng the game...
(hun200km/h tens uma pic la em cima do fiat...

Hi, skiter, the fiat pictured in this thread is the 600 Abarth, not the 131 :)

Biased turkey, I've just read the "GT4 vs. Enthusia vs. GTR" thread in the GT4 forum, so there are more threads enthusia-related than the ones just in this PS2 forum. Maybe the admins will hear us.

btw, and about that thread, I'm getting a litle confused. luchi and someone else are saying that the driving feel is very "arcadish" ... I know that what is "arcadish" to some isn't for others, but if we're all sort-of racing gamers, it puzzles me that the reviews are so different.

There's one thing, however, where all the reviews agree. The AI is better then GT4. But, then again, that isn't too hard to achieve, considering how bad the AI cars are in GT4 ...

I finally got my copy! I love the handle, i use a Silvia S15 Spec R, the feeling is different than GT4, i fell the lightweight of the S15. I really like the Sounds! Better than GT4. I can make videos if you guys want.

YEAH! I made 1 lap tsukuba circuit Video, so i'll upload the video right now... So watch my post (i will edit and post the video)

So if the stick can't be selected does that mean that the Madcaz wheel is uncompatible..? Or I think the gaz brake is on the left analogue..

Back