Enzo successor spotted

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 675 comments
I thin both the LaF and 918 will age well, but not the P1.

I don't think the LaFerrari will age well either. McLaren and Ferrari focused too much on the speed, which isn't what's important for these cars. Technology is why these cars are memorable and the 918 is the only one that really used the hybrid system to the best of its potential.

I don't think the LaFerrari will age well either. McLaren and Ferrari focused too much on the speed, which isn't what's important for these cars. Technology is why these cars are memorable and the 918 is the only one that really used the hybrid system to the best of its potential.
I agree, the 918 is the most futuristic in its use of technology and the more conservative styling will pay off. The P1 is perfect for today, but it will age. The F70 already seems dated to me. It's overstyled and ugly IMHO, and the fact that it's only essntially a "mild hybrid" where the combustion engine works all the time. The hybrid system itself seems somewhat like Honda's IMA, which is 15 years old. I see the F70 being by far the least desirable in a few years, and downright antiquated in a decade.

Here is a fun little fact I picked up about the LaFerrari:

If all 499 of them were to start from a standstill with launch control at the same time, in the same direction, they would be able to cause a tectonic shift.... :eek:

What is the math behind this? That sounds highly unlikely.

Actually I'm just going to call BS.

Nothing to read here, just ignore

Torque of a LaFerrari: 663 lb ft approx.

Torque of all at the same time: 330837 lb ft of torque (448555 Nm) which is a fair amount

With all due respect to you @Zenith, despite things sounding highly unlikely, calling BS is hardly called for. If you really want to do the mathematics, I suggest you do a study of tectonic plates. Perhaps you'll prove that the fact is wrong. Or maybe you will find that it is right. Either way you'll be a little more educated. To give you a head start I suggest you learn about the relation of the gravity of the sun and the moon on the Earth, the Coriolis effect, the stresses and strains on a spherical body in compression, principals of equatorial shifting and a some engineering principals with regards to torque and overcoming inertia.

I don't really have time to sit here proving a fact that I have found. I've got a fair amount of experience in Engineering, and from my perspective it seems certainly possible, even though the likelihood of it happening is non existent. But it isn't very nice to just call BS on a fact because you do not understand it.

Last edited:
Torque of a LaFerrari: 663 lb ft approx.

Torque of all at the same time: 330837 lb ft of torque (448555 Nm) which is a fair amount

With all due respect to you @Zenith, despite things sounding highly unlikely, calling BS is hardly called for. If you really want to do the mathematics, I suggest you do a study of tectonic plates. Perhaps you'll prove that the fact is wrong. Or maybe you will find that it is right. Either way you'll be a little more educated. To give you a head start I suggest you learn about the relation of the gravity of the sun and the moon on the Earth, the Coriolis effect, the stresses and strains on a spherical body in compression, principals of equatorial shifting and a some engineering principals with regards to torque and overcoming inertia.

I don't really have time to sit here proving a fact that I have found. I've got a fair amount of experience in Engineering, and from my perspective it seems certainly possible, even though the likelihood of it happening is non existent. But it isn't very nice to just call BS on a fact because you do not understand it.

Did you take into account that the LaFerrari doesn't produce 663 lb ft starting from rest, but actually 8562 lb ft due to gearing? I'm assuming an Enzo-like ratio set with a 3:1 first gear reduction and 4:1 final drive because LaFerrari ratios are as of yet unpublished. Therefore, in actuality, the torque is 4,272,759 lb ft, about an order of magnitude more than the engine(s) without gearing. About plate tectonics and all that, I've got no idea. I would think that because the car is very light and the earth is very heavy, the car(s) would, as expected, move, and the earth to be unaffected.

Did you take into account that the LaFerrari doesn't produce 663 lb ft starting from rest, but actually 8562 lb ft due to gearing? I'm assuming an Enzo-like ratio set with a 3:1 first gear reduction and 4:1 final drive because LaFerrari ratios are as of yet unpublished. Therefore, in actuality, the torque is 4,272,759 lb ft, about an order of magnitude more than the engine(s) without gearing. About plate tectonics and all that, I've got no idea. I would think that because the car is very light and the earth is very heavy, the car(s) would, as expected, move, and the earth to be unaffected.

Yes it would, but when the fact said potentially move a plate, I took this as the power of all 499 cars in one point and it being a small plate, Which of course would require some very interesting methods! I for one wouldn't like to be there if they tried it! And no, I didn't think about the gearing reduction, but I do not know if the people who stated this fact took that into consideration 👍

If you really want to do the mathematics, I suggest you do a study of tectonic plates. Perhaps you'll prove that the fact is wrong.

That's not how proof works. If you want to claim that cars can move tectonic plates, it is your responsibility to prove your claim. You have not done anything to prove your point, you just posted a ludicrous claim with no backing.

Or maybe you will find that it is right. Either way you'll be a little more educated. To give you a head start I suggest you learn about the relation of the gravity of the sun and the moon on the Earth, the Coriolis effect, the stresses and strains on a spherical body in compression, principals of equatorial shifting and a some engineering principals with regards to torque and overcoming inertia.

You might want to go do some further research into the Coriolis effect. The Coriolis effect has nothing to do with whether or not Ferraris can move a tectonic plates, it has to do with relative motion along rotating reference frames. I took a university level class on this subject, you obviously have not.

I don't really have time to sit here proving a fact that I have found.

:lol:

Then at least go and fetch a link to this "fact" so we can evaluate this claim from someone who might know what they're talking about.

I've got a fair amount of experience in Engineering, and from my perspective it seems certainly possible, even though the likelihood of it happening is non existent. But it isn't very nice to just call BS on a fact because you do not understand it.

You claim to have a good understanding of engineering yet you think that statements are true until proven wrong. Awesome.

Your comment on the Coriolis effect makes me want to draw the BS card again. You have not demonstrated that you are familiar with the application of the subject. Of course everybody on the internet is a PhD Mechanical Engineer and Navy SEAL, so I'll spare you the trouble of trying to prove that somebody with a "fair amount" of engineering experience could think that the Coriolis effect and the gravity of the moon would have anything to do with this case. A for effort but puh-leeze.

Yes it would, but when the fact said potentially move a plate, I took this as the power of all 499 cars in one point and it being a small plate, Which of course would require some very interesting methods! I for one wouldn't like to be there if they tried it! And no, I didn't think about the gearing reduction, but I do not know if the people who stated this fact took that into consideration 👍

That's the point. Could 5,000,000 ft-lbs of torque move a tectonic plate? Probably not. Plate tectonics occur on huge scales with pressure forces of thousands of pounds per inch over several hundred miles.

What can be said for certain is that even if you lined up all the LaFerraris next to each other or somehow managed to consolidate all of that torque into a single car, you would not be able to shift plates. The Ferrari is impressive enough, it doesn't need asinine fairy tales to enhance itself.

Last edited:

Please give me more insight into your engineering wizardy because I have yet to understand how the torque applied by the 499 LaF would not be absorbed by the earth crust.

Thank god the real world does not work like this or my local motorway would cause earthquakes every morning when thousands of man and women drive to work...

Please give me more insight into your engineering wizardy because I have yet to understand how the torque applied by the 499 LaF would not be absorbed by the earth crust.

Thank god the real world does not work like this or my local motorway would cause earthquakes every morning when thousands of man and women drive to work...

at a single point, all the cars on a motorway are at different points, not occupying the same point in space.

I wish I hadn't bothered posting this fact now.

as for where I found it, it was a feature in the latest Top Gear magazine on the LaFerrari, and the different Ferraris that have helped hone it.

I'm done here. Sorry for the offense to anyone. And @Zenith, just for your information I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering, so I DO know what I am talking about when saying the Coriolis effect has an effect on tectonic plates even if it is a small one. Not on Ferraris moving it no, but on the movement of the plates themselves. Anyway, I'll just shut up, since apparently on the interwebs you have to prove every fact you find.

Last edited:
Top Gear is hardly a beacon of scientific inquiry.

I know, but it isn't the show, it's actually the magazine, and this was a special feature on Ferrari. Believe me, if I didn't think it was interesting or remotely possible, I would not have posted it at all! :nervous:

at a single point, all the cars on a motorway are at different points, not occupying the same point in space.

I wish I hadn't bothered posting this fact now.

as for where I found it, it was a feature in the latest Top Gear magazine on the LaFerrari, and the different Ferraris that have helped hone it.

I'm done here. Sorry for the offense to anyone. And @Zenith, just for your information I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering, so I DO know what I am talking about when saying the Coriolis effect has an effect on tectonic plates even if it is a small one. Not on Ferraris moving it no, but on the movement of the plates themselves. Anyway, I'll just shut up, since apparently on the interwebs you have to prove every fact you find.

Please stop throwing around the word fact around you and stop bragging with your Aerospace Engineer when you are so obviously wrong.

First of all, the earth crust ist not made of one solid material and is pretty thick. All your 499 LaFs would do is damaging the asphalt, cause the earth around the area to rumble a bit (ever been to a motor race?) and then throw up some mud until they loose traction. I guess you could cause near buildings to collapse (you have 499 LaF launching at once after all), but not more.

Second, the tectonic plate we are doing our little experiment is consistently under pressure from the earth and other plates. You really think that your 499 LaF are enough to overcome the other forces, friction etc?

If you praise yourself for finding such a doubtful "fact" you should atleast expect people to question your maths. Also, you might have a Aerospace degree (which still not gives you the background needed to do such bold claims), but you know... other people on the evil interwebs might have engineering degrees themselves?

Scienece just doesnt work in reality sometimes, What would happen if you had all 499 LaFa's on teh beach? Would they still be able to move the plates?

Science is perfectly capable of working in reality, its people who don't know what they are doing and misapplying the mechanics which leads to errors results.

It's a garbage in garbage out process.

I'm sorry, but if you think that 500 Ferraris could move the tectonic plates you clearly have a very poor knowledge of plate tectonics and probably a shaky knowledge of real world physics.

Read this.

Little boy, the nuclear bomb, contained 67TJ of energy, equivalent to 49,416,665,763,000 lbs*ft of energy. fifty trillion foot pounds. No tectonic plates were moved.

Still love the Enzo better :) not to say this car isn't pretty :dopey: just not as pretty as the Enzo.Plus the enzo has something about it that's just makes it special. While Laferrari just looks likes a soulless and lifeless car.(My Opinion)

GTspirit-laferrari-enzo-mc-RBelly-Duo-640x426.jpg

Never like the LaFerrari from the start anyway, and that name isn't Ferrari-ish imo. Worst Hybrid-Hypercar of the three cars (918-P1-LaFerrari).

Still love the Enzo better :) not to say this car isn't pretty :dopey: just not as pretty as the Enzo.Plus the enzo has something about it that's just makes it special. While Laferrari just looks likes a soulless and lifeless car.(My Opinion)

Front end of the LaFerrari is pretty interesting in my opinion, but the back end has to go to the Enzo... wonder what a combi of the two would look like?

Funny thing is I've been saying exactly that about every anniversary car since the F40!

I know a swiss dude with a Silver Enzo, must be a pretty good chance it's him. Definitely the colour I'd take an Enzo in for sure. I think the La Ferrari has to be in black to hide the ridiculous front splitter. The Enzo does look a little dated there but I think it'll become a classic design, much unlike the F50.

I know a swiss dude with a Silver Enzo, must be a pretty good chance it's him. Definitely the colour I'd take an Enzo in for sure. I think the La Ferrari has to be in black to hide the ridiculous front splitter. The Enzo does look a little dated there but I think it'll become a classic design, much unlike the F50.

It's funny how polemic these 4 cars are. The F50 has always been, and will always be my favorite. Stressed, F1 derived V12, and a 6 speed gated manual? 520hp and 2700lbs? I always find it funny when people claim the F50 was overweight, considering it was 300lbs lighter than the NSX, or only slightly heavier than an EK Civic. I'll take a screaming F50 please.

It's funny how polemic these 4 cars are. The F50 has always been, and will always be my favorite. Stressed, F1 derived V12, and a 6 speed gated manual? 520hp and 2700lbs? I always find it funny when people claim the F50 was overweight, considering it was 300lbs lighter than the NSX, or only slightly heavier than an EK Civic. I'll take a screaming F50 please.
I think people give the F50 a hard time such as comments about the weight, just because of the fact that yes, the F40 was a faster car overall so the F50 looked like a step back. But, I'd still take the F50 for its stats you noted alone; it was a brute of a car that was barely legal for the road & a nightmare for anyone not under the term, "Experienced/Expert Driver" to have fun with on a track. I love the rawness of it & ultimately, still think it's the best looking out of the halo models.

I saw one today at the local dealer, they already sold a silver one and another one is on its way.

Very impressive car.

I love the rawness of it & ultimately, still think it's the best looking out of the halo models.

I feel time is finally starting to be kinder to the F50. I know EVO rated it above both the F40 and Enzo, calling it the best of the anniversary cars, and for all the things you and @Eunos_Cosmo mentioned, I've no reason to doubt them. I've always liked the looks - and there's some obvious nods to it in the theFerrari - and it still sounds incredible.

Meanwhile, I've never liked the Enzo, and it still hasn't grown on me after over a decade. I'll admit it hasn't actually aged all that much, much like an E60 BMW still looks "new", but it's always felt like a heavy-handed design to me, completely lacking in grace. There are parts of the new car's design that have been resolved very well, but overall - and especially in the above shot with it parked next to the Enzo - it still feels more than a little Pagani-influenced.

Back