Error NE-21009009 - Disconnecting from FIA races before matchmaking

• Thread starter Rangeraus
  • 79 comments
Australia
Australia
At the risk of repeating myself, this is actually ruining my season. Been disconnected from Nations twice tonight in addition to:

Supra Cup Round 1
Nations Cup Round 2 - once
Manufacturers Round 2 - once

Nations Cup Round 3 Slot 1 + Top 16 Superstars

Manufacturers Top 16 Superstars

You get the idea.

I have done the following:

- Reset Modem
- Wired connection (NAT Type 2)
- Static IP address
- Reset DNS address to OpenDNS and Google (tried both)
- Enabled UpNp on Router
- Forwarded Ports as follows: https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/nw_test.html
- Assigned PS4 to DMZ
- Reset modem several times since then
- Cleared cache in-game
- Deleted and re-installed the game (!)
- Rebuilt PS4 database

…and the issue is still happening for FIA races.

Download and Uploads speed is 40/20MBps, Ping is 6 in-game

Please help - I was hoping to score 330+ points in Manufacturers tomorrow but my season will be effectively over if I score nothing.

That's a pretty exhaustive list. I think you've done everything you can from your side mate.

When you check network in Sport Mode, do you get full bars in all 5 points of the pentagon?

One last suggestion is to call your ISP and make sure you're opted out of CG NAT. If that doesn't work, then you might have to change ISP as a last resort.

Another factor is if you live in a high density building like apartments, depending on your cabling, all your internet could be shared through one cable (which might not even be fibre) so it's inevitable that you'll get dropouts during times like these when everyone's staying home a lot more than usual.

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/...ections-national-broadband-network-explained/

Was wondering if anyone could help me?? I keep disconnecting from fia races while trying to match. I tried today (Australia) at 8pm, got disconnected while trying to match fair enough. While waiting for next slot i Did a couple daily races no problem with matching but as soon as i went to do the final slot i got disconnected while matching again. It also did it on Saturdays FIA races and also last weeks nations in the gr4s. Its hit and miss when i decides to work but when you completely miss out because it does it multiple times its frustrating.

The message i get is the following:

Disconnected from network. (NE-21009009)

My connection is wired. And according to the Gt sport connection test i have a good environment with 14 ping. When im actually in the lobby i dont experience lag and also have 5 bars (when i actually get into an FIA race) and regularly host a weekly league division without any issues.
Also play other games online without issue and low ping; rocket league & rainbow six siege as examples.
Hope someone has some clue whats going on. TIA.

Further notes:
- This is not an issue in daily races, or lobbies (that I have experienced)
- I have not observed issues with any other internet usage, or any other games

That's a pretty exhaustive list. I think you've done everything you can from your side mate.

When you check network in Sport Mode, do you get full bars in all 5 points of the pentagon?

Yes - hits all sides of the pentagon with a ping of 6.

One last suggestion is to call your ISP and make sure you're opted out of CG NAT. If that doesn't work, then you might have to change ISP as a last resort.

I did call them and ask, but didn't get an extremely clear answer. Am with one of the country's largest ISPs and have been before this issue started happening, so I don't think I am on CGNAT?

Another factor is if you live in a high density building like apartments, depending on your cabling, all your internet could be shared through one cable (which might not even be fibre) so it's inevitable that you'll get dropouts during times like these when everyone's staying home a lot more than usual.

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/...ections-national-broadband-network-explained/

Not living in an apartment but do have FTTC, so overall not a terribly bad connection as far as I can tell.

There are two things I can narrow it down to:
1. I had to transition to NBN recently (same ISP as previous, when I had no issues), had to upgrade to new hardware as a result of this.
2. This issue has only been happening since the most recent game update - so it might be game related. Can't confirm as PD are not contactable.

I looked at the Top 16 races of all regions and most do not have 16 starters - this suggests to me there might be a server issue on PD's end, unless everyone is having this same unrelated issue.

Ask your ISP if you're on "Dual Stack lite" (DSlite). This caused high packet loss
You can check it here: https://packetlosstest.com/

Hope it helps

Thanks - I will call them tomorrow and ask. I tried the Overwatch/Fortnite settings on that site and am getting some fairly big packet loss (I never tried this before so I don't know if this has changed). Some other presets are not an issue and seem completely normal.

Last edited:
I may be mistaken but do I remember something about daily races being run more so through peer to peer and not PD's servers?
If so maybe it could point to the problem being on the PD server end.
Also, how is this seemingly recurring issue playing out on a region by region basis across different servers?

I may be mistaken but do I remember something about daily races being run more so through peer to peer and not PD's servers?
This is correct as far as I know.

Also, how is this seemingly recurring issue playing out on a region by region basis across different servers?

Not sure if it is the same error code, but for the recent Top 16 races, only 1 of 8 broadcasted races had a full grid. Which means that one or more people disconnected before/during matchmaking in 7 of these races.

EMEA Region:
Nations: 14 starters
Manufacturers: 16 starters

CSA Region:
Nations: 13 starters
Manufacturers: 14 starters

NA Region:
Nations: 15 starters
Manufacturers: 15 starters

OCE Region

Asia: Don't know, this hasn't been broadcasted.

As I mentioned in the FIAthread last night, we had a full 20 person lobby, when it went to track we were dropped to 10 through the disconnects. Something is seriously wrong with the servers if they have different stuff set aside for these and it isnt able to keep people online. Players that were in my lobby had done slots 1 and 2, but this was now slot 3 and they were now getting dumped.

This is correct as far as I know.

Not sure if it is the same error code, but for the recent Top 16 races, only 1 of 8 broadcasted races had a full grid. Which means that one or more people disconnected before/during matchmaking in 7 of these races.

EMEA Region:
Manufacturers: 16 starters

CSA Region:
Nations: 13 starters
Manufacturers: 14 starters

NA Region:
Nations: 15 starters

OCE Region

Asia: Don't know, this hasn't been broadcasted.
Exactly what you describe is what’s happening to me also. No other issues with my internet connection.
An in-game message popped up today and says there’s server maintenance due tomorrow. Hope it fixes the problem because the same thing is happening to me today. Frustrating.

I also was not able to participate yesterday evening and got disconnected when trying to complete matchmaking for the lobby.

Hopefully the maintenance does address the issue, will see how I get on tonight with Manufactures race.

I did call them and ask, but didn't get an extremely clear answer. Am with one of the country's largest ISPs and have been before this issue started happening, so I don't think I am on CGNAT?

Not living in an apartment but do have FTTC, so overall not a terribly bad connection as far as I can tell.

There are two things I can narrow it down to:
1. I had to transition to NBN recently (same ISP as previous, when I had no issues), had to upgrade to new hardware as a result of this.
2. This issue has only been happening since the most recent game update - so it might be game related. Can't confirm as PD are not contactable.

I looked at the Top 16 races of all regions and most do not have 16 starters - this suggests to me there might be a server issue on PD's end, unless everyone is having this same unrelated issue.

Worth chasing down the CG NAT issue. Explain to them that you need this for online gaming and you've done all the various things to no avail. That was what solved the problem for me. Even if you have been using the same ISP for a while, they could have only just migrated you to CG NAT recently.

With ISPs, it's tempting to think the bigger they are the better the quality but often this is not the case. Yes they have more bandwidth quota but they also have a lot more users so the bandwidth per user is actually less. A small ISP could provide better performance but you need to do a bit of digging to know which ones are good for your area (plus their customer service is usually much better and quicker!).

I wager the problem is with server load due to quarantine +/- a bottleneck between your area and wherever the server is. Hopefully the maintenance tomorrow makes things better for you. Otherwise if PD can't keep up with their servers they should just make this whole year exhibition for fairness.

Worth chasing down the CG NAT issue. Explain to them that you need this for online gaming and you've done all the various things to no avail. That was what solved the problem for me. Even if you have been using the same ISP for a while, they could have only just migrated you to CG NAT recently.

With ISPs, it's tempting to think the bigger they are the better the quality but often this is not the case. Yes they have more bandwidth quota but they also have a lot more users so the bandwidth per user is actually less. A small ISP could provide better performance but you need to do a bit of digging to know which ones are good for your area (plus their customer service is usually much better and quicker!).

I wager the problem is with server load due to quarantine +/- a bottleneck between your area and wherever the server is. Hopefully the maintenance tomorrow makes things better for you. Otherwise if PD can't keep up with their servers they should just make this whole year exhibition for fairness.

I will call again later this week and try to get a clearer answer, but from other preliminary checks I have read/done, I am not on CGNAT.

https://help.edovia.com/hc/en-us/ar...er-Grade-NAT-Large-Scale-NAT?mobile_site=true
You can check whether you’re on a CGN network by visiting a Web site such as ipaddress.com or whatsmyip.com and comparing the IP address listed to the public/WAN IP address assigned to your Internet gateway. To find your gateway’s public IP address, check the status page in the administrative interface. If the two IP addresses differ, you’re likely on a CGN network. If so, you will have trouble establishing Screens connections to the network in question, but it may be possible to request a static IP address from your ISP to avoid connectivity issues.
I compared both addresses and they match.

Likewise the IP address is outside the range prescribed here:

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/aussie_broadband_cgnat
How can I tell if I'm on CGNAT?
If you are in a CGNAT your IP address on your router will be in the 100.64.0.0/10 range (100.64.x.x – 100.127.x.x).
In any case I hope the maintenance tomorrow fixes the issue. But without any direct contact to PD available, it is very hard to diagnose which end the issue is on, which is probably the most frustrating part.

I will call again later this week and try to get a clearer answer, but from other preliminary checks I have read/done, I am not on CGNAT.

https://help.edovia.com/hc/en-us/ar...er-Grade-NAT-Large-Scale-NAT?mobile_site=true

I compared both addresses and they match.

Likewise the IP address is outside the range prescribed here:

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/aussie_broadband_cgnat

In any case I hope the maintenance tomorrow fixes the issue. But without any direct contact to PD available, it is very hard to diagnose which end the issue is on, which is probably the most frustrating part.
Good luck. It sucks when people who have chances to do really well and represent the top levels in a region are not even getting a chance to race due to constant disconnects. If it happens to me it isnt a big deal,but for you and lots of other top 16 level players should be a sign of more issues to deal with as no matter what causes it the end result is a bad look for PD and a frustrated player base.

If I am tuning in to see the top players face off I don't expect to have several missing due to technical glitches. Like having an F1 race without one of the drivers because their name is misspelled on their paddock pass.

Good luck. It sucks when people who have chances to do really well and represent the top levels in a region are not even getting a chance to race due to constant disconnects. If it happens to me it isnt a big deal,but for you and lots of other top 16 level players should be a sign of more issues to deal with as no matter what causes it the end result is a bad look for PD and a frustrated player base.

If I am tuning in to see the top players face off I don't expect to have several missing due to technical glitches. Like having an F1 race without one of the drivers because their name is misspelled on their paddock pass.

Thanks - but I am not special nor deserve special treatment.

To me it is fairly simple, if there is a problem with the game or servers that is preventing people from entering these races for whatever reason, then it should be fixed.

I say 'if' because it is possible that the issue could somehow be on my end. If I knew what the cause was, then I would do everything I can to fix it.

The problem is that unlike other game developers, there is no way to contact Polyphony Digital for support to figure out what the exact cause is. The Support page of the GT website redirects to Sony, where typing that error code gives no results, and searching for the game title in said support page also gives zero results.:banghead:

Thanks - but I am not special nor deserve special treatment.

To me it is fairly simple, if there is a problem with the game or servers that is preventing people from entering these races for whatever reason, then it should be fixed.

I say 'if' because it is possible that the issue could somehow be on my end. If I knew what the cause was, then I would do everything I can to fix it.

The problem is that unlike other game developers, there is no way to contact Polyphony Digital for support to figure out what the exact cause is. The Support page of the GT website redirects to Sony, where typing that error code gives no results, and searching for the game title in said support page also gives zero results.:banghead:
Not trying to necessarily claim you guys closer to the top deserve special treatment, but that usually things get looked at and adjusted more once they start causing more problems at top split level. For instance the odd penalties that were 'adjusted' once they started causing problems on the official streams. Also, as I was saying about tuning in for top 16, at least we want full fields. Hoping this thread will get PD's attention about it and if there is an issue on their end they will look seriously at it now.

I have only been disconnected 4 times over my 14 to 15 months playing. Twice on a daily and both of the first times I thought about trying an FIA. So it seems like there is an issue related more to FIA events than dailies, and as these are run through a slightly different structure over the network it is at least worth getting them to examine whether it is related to their stuff or just general network overload worldwide.

They could at least try to bother responding or acknowledging that it exists for whatever reason, known or unknown.

Was wondering if anyone could help me?? I keep disconnecting from fia races while trying to match. I tried today (Australia) at 8pm, got disconnected while trying to match fair enough. While waiting for next slot i Did a couple daily races no problem with matching but as soon as i went to do the final slot i got disconnected while matching again. It also did it on Saturdays FIA races and also last weeks nations in the gr4s. Its hit and miss when i decides to work but when you completely miss out because it does it multiple times its frustrating.

The message i get is the following:

Disconnected from network. (NE-21009009)

My connection is wired. And according to the Gt sport connection test i have a good environment with 14 ping. When im actually in the lobby i dont experience lag and also have 5 bars (when i actually get into an FIA race) and regularly host a weekly league division without any issues.
Also play other games online without issue and low ping; rocket league & rainbow six siege as examples.
Hope someone has some clue whats going on. TIA.

Further adding on to my troubles...

Tried round4 nations last 2 slots disconnected from both.
Tried round 4 manufacturers first slot got disconnected. Was pretty de motivated after that so wasnt planning to try again but my friend convinced me to enter the last slot, which i had no issues and everything went smooth.

Just tried to enter round 5 for nations first slot and back to the disconnects. Obviously that maintenance didnt fix anything to do with this issue

First Manufacturers slot in Oceania today:

2x disconnects in Top split
5x disconnects in 2nd split

What is going on?? Wasn't there server maintenance on Thursday?

Yes lots of disconnects in Manu today. The matching itself took close to 4 minutes. Absolutely ridiculous.

Nations on the other hand was silky smooth. I'm convinced that PD's FIA servers are not coping with the extra number of users due to quarantine. They probably sized the servers according to the number of users, and Oceania probably had the smallest server capacity to begin with. Nations isn't so bad because it's a ghost town here, but Manu is always loaded so it's more of a problem. Unfortunately, unless they invest in more hardware I don't think this is something that can be fixed by software or "maintenance" alone. The consolation is that the events this year mean nothing, no world tours and no prizes, so you're not missing much 👍

BTW, with regards to contacting PD, best method would probably be tweeting straight to Kaz (but unless he knows you personally from WT I doubt he would properly address it). Alternatively, that suggestion box when you sign up for Star Player every season is the closest thing we've got. I've asked for a lot of things there and most of them seem to come true (e.g. points system, tyre wear, slipstream, penalty), but again a large proportion of the WT drivers have also been vocal about this so it could be them instead of me :lol:

Yes lots of disconnects in Manu today. The matching itself took close to 4 minutes. Absolutely ridiculous.

Nations on the other hand was silky smooth.

I was hoping for a good result in Nations, having got a Top 10 practice time, but got disconnected from both slots I entered and scored 0.

Manufacturers slot 1 (16:20) - Disconnected
Nations slot 2 (17:40) - Disconnected
Manufacturers slot 3 (19:00) - Connected, bottled it and finished P5 :banghead:
Nations slot 3 (20:20) - Disconnected

A much more balanced and logical person than myself would simply not bother with this **** anymore... but here I am.

I'm convinced that PD's FIA servers are not coping with the extra number of users due to quarantine. They probably sized the servers according to the number of users, and Oceania probably had the smallest server capacity to begin with. Nations isn't so bad because it's a ghost town here, but Manu is always loaded so it's more of a problem. Unfortunately, unless they invest in more hardware I don't think this is something that can be fixed by software or "maintenance" alone.

I am inclined to agree with most of what you said.

By the way, confirmed with my ISP that I am not on CGNAT. I am not going to get a new ISP if I don't know if it will fix the issue, which is nearly impossible to determine.

The consolation is that the events this year mean nothing, no world tours and no prizes, so you're not missing much 👍

There are still Top 16 races which will continue to be broadcasted. They are great to be a part of, if you can connect to them or score enough points to qualify (see disconnects).

This is still an official season so who knows what PD will announce at some later point - they can amend their T+Cs anytime.

BTW, with regards to contacting PD, best method would probably be tweeting straight to Kaz (but unless he knows you personally from WT I doubt he would properly address it). Alternatively, that suggestion box when you sign up for Star Player every season is the closest thing we've got. I've asked for a lot of things there and most of them seem to come true (e.g. points system, tyre wear, slipstream, penalty), but again a large proportion of the WT drivers have also been vocal about this so it could be them instead of me :lol:

I have made enough of a nuisance of myself tagging GT's official account on Twitter, and would rather not have to tag Kaz to get something done.

But what other avenues are there?

First Manufacturers slot in Oceania today:

2x disconnects in Top split
5x disconnects in 2nd split

What is going on?? Wasn't there server maintenance on Thursday?
And disc
I was hoping for a good result in Nations, having got a Top 10 practice time, but got disconnected from both slots I entered and scored 0.

Manufacturers slot 1 (16:20) - Disconnected
Nations slot 2 (17:40) - Disconnected
Manufacturers slot 3 (19:00) - Connected, bottled it and finished P5 :banghead:
Nations slot 3 (20:20) - Disconnected

A much more balanced and logical person than myself would simply not bother with this **** anymore... but here I am.

I am inclined to agree with most of what you said.

By the way, confirmed with my ISP that I am not on CGNAT. I am not going to get a new ISP if I don't know if it will fix the issue, which is nearly impossible to determine.

There are still Top 16 races which will continue to be broadcasted. They are great to be a part of, if you can connect to them or score enough points to qualify (see disconnects).

This is still an official season so who knows what PD will announce at some later point - they can amend their T+Cs anytime.

I have made enough of a nuisance of myself tagging GT's official account on Twitter, and would rather not have to tag Kaz to get something done.

But what other avenues are there?
Ridiculous. Disconnected twice when matching in manufacturers cup - again. Total waste of time having the series if this is going to keep happening. Understand there’s a lot of demand/participation at the moment, but isn’t that what they want?

And disc

Ridiculous. Disconnected twice when matching in manufacturers cup - again. Total waste of time having the series if this is going to keep happening. Understand there’s a lot of demand/participation at the moment, but isn’t that what they want?

I also got disconnected from Manufacturers slot 3. So that is 4 disconnects (from 5 attempts) over a 6 hour window.

People want to race despite no World Tours, but why should they bother if they only connect 20% of the time.

Its not just the influx of players, Sony along with the streaming giants like Nflix and others have of course been trying to cut back and scale down on the amount of bandwidth they use to accommodate the new interwebs massive demands resulting from so many trying to work from home as well as children trying to do remote learning from home school stuff.
I would assume connection issues for daily and FIA events will be around for some time now.
God I hate quoting myself, it makes splitwindow feel like one of those people who talks about themselves in the third person.
I'm sorry but I'm super lazy and can't be bothered looking for a source to quote, but it was pretty widely reported in the major news feeds a couple of months ago.

God I hate quoting myself, it makes splitwindow feel like one of those people who talks about themselves in the third person.
I'm sorry but I'm super lazy and can't be bothered looking for a source to quote, but it was pretty widely reported in the major news feeds a couple of months ago.
Yeah, but most of us in the lower ranks are having little to no issue while top level are having increased issues. Something seems off.

Yeah, but most of us in the lower ranks are having little to no issue while top level are having increased issues. Something seems off.
Hmmm, that observation is indeed a most perplexing caveat then.
Other than pointing to the problem being solely on PD's (or Sonys) end of things I guess we're just screwed then, unless there's someone somewhere who has a contact with PD or Kaz himself...

Edit- just spitballing a stupid idea here, but "maybe" increased server load somehow related to broadcasting or showcasing the top split stuff might be the straw that's causing some sort of overload or something?
Maybe the guys having trouble could try running an alt account to test this out to try and hone in on the cause?

Last edited:

Are you sure it isn't just lower splits consisting of more people who aren't as invested in the races, and therefore less likely to report drops? Disconnect % being skewed towards elite drivers just seems too bizarre even by PDs standards

Last edited:
Are you sure it isn't just lower splits consisting of more people who aren't as invested in the races, and therefore less likely to report drops? Disconnect % being skewed towards elite drivers just seems too bizarre even by PDs standards
Yeah, it seems bizarre, but even amongst those of us on here down in B and C ranks that report back we aren't hearing of lots of disconnects. Last nights final oceania split had only 15 players.

I did have a split drop 10 people just tuesday, so it happens to us too.

Yeah, it seems bizarre, but even amongst those of us on here down in B and C ranks that report back we aren't hearing of lots of disconnects. Last nights final oceania split had only 15 players.

I did have a split drop 10 people just tuesday, so it happens to us too.
Is it only Australians experiencing this? And/or is it only Oceania?

In CSA mass disconnections are happening a lot, too. Today again I disconnected at FIA, this time at Nations around lap 10, to later know I was together with a good amount of players... like last weekend. It happened in both championships.

I posted this at the FIA thread, but around 40 out of the manufacturers top 300 had 0 points last weekend, not counting those who didn't race, and not going into the rest of the ranking...
After three years of playing, I've never been disconnected so many times like now.

Let’s hope someone at PD is reading this.

Agree.

Last edited:
Back