Estimate GT Sport sales

• Thread starter Earth
  • 869 comments

How many copies will GT Sport sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The first (and possibly the last) GT game available for PS4? And one of the best games available on the market to showcase HDR tech in new high end tv's? I suspect a high uptake. Not all within the first few months, but I think over 2-3 years as they work on more content (they are claiming their sole focus right now is DLC). I will be a bit surprised if it hasn't hit or exceeded 10M 3 years from now.

I went with 3 million. I think they completely missed the mark in terms of content and focus. I don´t know who they are targeting with this game, casual in one front, hardcore with the e-sports... in the end it will be worst than GT6, which barely broke 5 million.

In what time frame? We don't know if there will be a next GT or if GTS will turn out as service based game.

I think it's impossible to predict how it will sell, especially with its focus on the online gameplay and the PS+ requirement.

I'd still say 5 millions until 2020.

I think 3 million during the first 3 months, the lack of content will hurt the game with among the diehard fans and sim racing niche, but I think will do better that PC2 for example,, not because PC2 quality but most of the people I know that own a PS4 even ignore (unfortunately) the existence of games like Assetto and Project Cars, even those that are petrolheads IRL, so I think most of those 3milliion will be casuals as usual

GT5's and GT6's day one sales figures will be much stronger then GTS's. Due to the fact that the games future dependes on DLC content. GTS will not reach or surpass GT5's sales figures IMO but only time will tell.

I guess 5 million in its lifetime, which I think may even be too optimistic, since there's more competition and old school GT fans have been disappointed by PD's efforts over the years.

The hardcore racers will prefer racing sims with more realistic physics (PCars 2), and the casuals will prefer a racing game with a full-blown career mode where they can collect cars and win every race (Forza 7).

So who will buy GTS? Old school GT fans, gamers who want good online racing on a console, and gamers who care more about graphics than game-play. I think PD/Sony's huge marketing budget will help GTS sell a lot more than than the features and qualities of the product itself. I can afford to buy PCars 2 and GTS, fortunately, but if I were a poor student and had to pick just 1, I'd go for PCars 2.

I'll be surprised if it does anything less than 6-7 million.
The lack of traditional SP content could harm sales as a lot of people clearly aren't happy about it but the online focus could really cause it to take off and become the platform's go-to racing game for a lot of people. I say 7 million.
A conservative 6 million. Will be a big hit but I feel the lack of content and online focus may result in either a new GT coming out soon or a lower tail in sales.

If they nail the release and have a good DLC plan it could easily outdo this number.
The game is going to sell a lot , it always does , it will be bundled with many PS consoles and very promoted by Sony , also because it's a great game.
for one year 7 million.. 👍
You guys are really optimistic! :)👍 That's another thing what I like in this site! :gtpflag::cheers:

I guess 5 million in its lifetime, which I think may even be too optimistic, since there's more competition and old school GT fans have been disappointed by PD's efforts over the years.

The hardcore racers will prefer racing sims with more realistic physics (PCars 2), and the casuals will prefer a racing game with a full-blown career mode where they can collect cars and win every race (Forza 7).

So who will buy GTS? Old school GT fans, gamers who want good online racing on a console, and gamers who care more about graphics than game-play. I think PD/Sony's huge marketing budget will help GTS sell a lot more than than the features and qualities of the product itself. I can afford to buy PCars 2 and GTS, fortunately, but if I were a poor student and had to pick just 1, I'd go for PCars 2.

Or gamers that wanted a 2P split-screen/couch co-op compatible racing sim on PS4? Neither that PC2, AC and DR/D4 had it

Racing games are a thing of the past. It's over. Even real races don't have the huge popularity. Wheter good or bad, Gtsport won't sell like Gt3. It's not even a matter of quality, Forza is seen like a good game and don't sell millions like the old GTs.

Its true the racing genre has kind of collapsed but thats mainly in the US and Japan. Still incredibly popular in EU and other parts of the world.
Forza Motorsport was never a good seller let alone near GT in popularity. The games debut very low on NPD (<200k) and the only sales goals we get is 1 or 2 million. Furthermore, with XB1 now being outsold by PS4 2:1 it may be doing even worse.

GT, as much as people like to deny it, is a massive brand thats been around for decades due to its quality and creativity. GT5 sold near 12 million, GT6 is nearing 5.5 million. The only other racing game that gets to these numbers (and more) is Mario Kart.

Racing games are a thing of the past. It's over. Even real races don't have the huge popularity. Whatever good or bad, Gtsport won't sell like Gt3. It's not even a matter of quality, Forza is seen like a good game and don't sell millions like the old GTs.
It's actually the other way around over here. Local Motorsports events are getting a bit more popular than ever, although still not that popular.
Racing/driving game wise, i would say it got less popular than the PS2/1 Era but still far more popular compared to MMORPG and games like War Thunder, Doom, bio shark...etc.

Apart from Crash Bandicoot, Call Of Duty, Minecraft, FIFA, Overwatch and GTA V, racing games are still there sitting in the middle between the average causal games everyone plays and really niche titles and such.

-----------------------------------
Despite all what i have said, i think it would reach around 1-2 million at most. I don't think people are interested in GT anymore especially since PDI went for a totally different from the usual GT.

I'd like to see Project CARS 2 be pretty much bug free & stable upon launch then go on to outsell GT Sport considerabley. Reason being is that SMS are really trying to deliver something the community actually wants, whereas Kaz & Co are just regurgitating essentially the same 20 year old concept yet again.

VBR
I'd like to see Project CARS 2 be pretty much bug free & stable upon launch then go on to outsell GT Sport considerabley. Reason being is that SMS are really trying to deliver something the community actually wants, whereas Kaz & Co are just regurgitating essentially the same 20 year old successful concept yet again.

FTFY

Some people would say, Kaz included, GTS is the start of a new era and a different direction for GT though.

PD never did what people wanted in the past. They did what they wanted and it happened that people liked it. Let's see if it works again with GTS.

They did what they wanted and it happened that people had to like it.

There were no serious racing sims before for them to compete against, people had very little option other than to like it. I'm sure they'll sell loads of off nostalgia, & the loyal fan base, but I think they have underestimated how many people like a full career mode, I think they've shot themselves in the foot with that one & will sell less as a result. SMS are innovative, dedicated, & have a great concept in WMD; I hope they knock 7 bells of 🤬 out of PD!

:P

2 million would be a reasonable guesstimate especially with no sustainable single player, low car and track lists (in GT terms) and customers who may be much more weary about what PD does now after being burned with GT6 (or burned twice if GT5 is included).

VBR
There were no serious racing sims before for them to compete against, people had very little option other than to like it. I'm sure they'll sell loads of off nostalgia, & the loyal fan base, but I think they have underestimated how many people like a full career mode, I think they've shot themselves in the foot with that one & will sell less as a result. SMS are innovative, dedicated, & have a great concept in WMD; I hope they knock 7 bells of 🤬 out of PD!

:P

So since 1997 people have been playing GT games by the millions because they're forced into buying it (no other options) and not because they like it?

I want SMS to do good too with PC2 (I'll buy the game). That's completely different than hoping for another developer to go down because they don't cater to my personal needs and wants. If you don't like GT don't buy it, as a lot of people will do. Because no one has to like a game and buy it.

Back