Euro 2008 non-qualification thread...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 290 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring back Sven!!

I think England had an OK run when he was in charge... they certainly qualified for everything (world cup and euro) when he was there.... which is one better than mclaren managed!

Robin

Capello would be a god choice. Mourinho is now looking unlikely.

I saw that Ladbrokes had Klinsmann at 16/1.

Bring back Sven!!

I think England had an OK run when he was in charge... they certainly qualified for everything (world cup and euro) when he was there.... which is one better than mclaren managed!

Robin

No chance of that happening.

Capello would be a god choice.
The guy hardly speaks any English. Definitely not. He has a good track record at club level mind, but the fact he speaks very little English would straight away make his motivational skills practically zero.

Theres been quite alot of support for Klinsmann.
As an Englishman ill say no,i dont want him, but as a football fan i'd love him to take it. He speaks very good English, hes got a good coaching record and he would take it.

I don't see why him being German has any impact, Scotland had a German coach (albeit **** one). Nationality means squat, a language barrier could pose a problem though. Mind you he has 10 months until our next competitve game...

Do you guys really thought that Mourinho would be interested in training the English National Team??? Ah ah ah, what a joke.
I remember a Interview were he demonstrated interest in training the Portuguese National Team. He also said that it would be the only National team he would like to train. And who knows, maybe after the Euro Cup (when we can finally say bye bye to Scolari (end of contract)), he (Mourinho) could be invited to couch the Portuguese National Team (a job I think and hope) he won’t refuse.

But I still can’t believe that England didn’t pass to the next stage. It is my 2nd Favorite (after Portugal, of course) and it has very good players. :indiff:

This is my pennies worth - The issue is not so much with the manager as with the players. When I watched them line up the other night they looked like they didn't care. An England player should wear the shirt with pride and want to do his bit for the country. There was not one player who exhibited the will to win mentality that we England supporters want to see.
You can argue about the lack of opportunities that English players get in the Premier League but that is no excuse for the lack of passion.
May I draw your attention to Stuart Pearce - There was a player who had the passion every time he put on an England shirt. He wanted to win for his country. But now it seems that playing fo your country comes second best to playing in Europe for your club team or winning the Premier League!
What England needs is a Manager that can put the pride and motivation into players playing for the country. We may not possess the same skill levels as players from Spain, Italy and dare I say, Croatia but atleast show some pride and a will to win.
The next Manager................................Stuart Pearce, for the reasons mentioned above.

nige

We have players who compare to the best in the world, to say we don't have players with the skill of thoes from Spain or Italy is just wrong, we do. The problem isn't the players individually, it's the team. You see players like Lampard, Rooney, Ferdinand and they all play better for club than country. I think half the problem is mentality and motivation, the other half is being played in the right formation. Both of these are issues the coach should be capable of dealing with. McLAren couldn't get either sorted, hence the reason I'm more happy that he's gone than sad we didn't qualify for a tournament we wouldn't havee been in that long.

We have the ability in the players, but that seems to get jumbled up in the squad. We need someone who will work out who plays best with who rather than pick the 11 most skillfull individuals. And that person then needs to be able to keep these players motivated.

This is my pennies worth - The issue is not so much with the manager as with the players. When I watched them line up the other night they looked like they didn't care. An England player should wear the shirt with pride and want to do his bit for the country. There was not one player who exhibited the will to win mentality that we England supporters want to see.
You can argue about the lack of opportunities that English players get in the Premier League but that is no excuse for the lack of passion.
May I draw your attention to Stuart Pearce - There was a player who had the passion every time he put on an England shirt. He wanted to win for his country. But now it seems that playing fo your country comes second best to playing in Europe for your club team or winning the Premier League!
What England needs is a Manager that can put the pride and motivation into players playing for the country. We may not possess the same skill levels as players from Spain, Italy and dare I say, Croatia but atleast show some pride and a will to win.
The next Manager................................Stuart Pearce, for the reasons mentioned above.

nige

If you want someone who is going to inject them with passion (not on Rio), then that'd be the man for the job. What's more important in international management, tactical prowess or the ability to motivate the players? I'd have to say the latter.

I'd say the team won't compete for any trophies let alone win any without both. We want to be competeing for trophies, not scrapping for qualification.

Part of Russia is in Europe, infact I believe the European part of Russia is more populated than the Asia part of Russia. Probably has a lot to do with Moscow being in Europe.

I was just wondering, why is Russia in the European league when they are not a part of Europe??

A nation can can apply to join any footballing federation they like. Australia have just moved from the Oceana federation to the Asian one.

I don't like Capello. His style is succesful, but absolutely not attractive. I rather watch curling than any football match with a team Capello is coaching.

Mourinho is the best choice, Klinsmann an interesting one. Klinsmann lives in the USA. The adopted many training methods from NFL teams including a special coach just for fitness. Also Klinsmann's style is very offensive/attractive.

I don't like Capello. His style is succesful, but absolutely not attractive. I rather watch curling than any football match with a team Capello is coaching.

I liked Reading manager, Steve Coppell's comment that he was always reading about how he was favourite for the England manager's job, but they kept miss-spelling his name and were always putting an O on the end!

Klinsmann an interesting one. Klinsmann lives in the USA. The adopted many training methods from NFL teams including a special coach just for fitness. Also Klinsmann's style is very offensive/attractive.

I like what he did even though he lives in the USA he got all the German leauge games via Tv and got his team of coaches to do the work.

The Euro Group drawing will take place this sunday.

There is a possibilty of a killer group with

Italy
France
The Netherlands and
Germany

This would be the most awesome group ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back