Euro 2008 non-qualification thread...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 290 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh
We didnt deserve to get through anyway. Why wasnt Rio or Ashley on in the first place?? Our whole team was weak but our defence was really poor.

We'll play you this summer. We're not doing anything either.

:lol:

Both injured, Rick.

Shocking performance, shocking manager, only a half fit Beckham can hold his head high (though he won't be). Crouch has no awareness of who's around him, he needs GPS for the other players, or something, maybe a moving marker like on PES (or is it FIFA?). We didn't deserve to qualify, simple.

Good that we are out im happy. I want the manager gone.

If arsene wenger was manager we'd win the world cup.

Ferdinand was suspended, not injured (unless he was injured at the same time of course)

Bollocks to Wenger though, bring in the special one. He actually admits he'd love to manage England so he'd have the passion for it...and unlike most managers at 2-0 down he'd change things long before Macca did.

Rio was just suspended, I could pick out a pretty large number of names form the squad today who underperformed but I really can't be bothered. Tbh I'm not that bothered, we wern't going to win anything, not with MCLaren in charge anyway. At least now he might get the sack. I hope.

Why he didn't start with Beckham and Defoe I'll never know, he had Crouch who for all the lack or having a football brain did put effort in today as the lone stricer. He ended up passing, knocking and crossing the ball into positions he should have been in, because there was no delivery into the box until the second half when Beckham came on.

And why when we got level McLaren didn't bring Hargreaves on to close the big hole infront of our defence the first two goals came from is beyond me. And guess what, they scored a third from that big hole. Hargreaves would have closed that space and marshalled the midfield while Gerrard and Barry could move forwards. We had Gerrard, Barrry and fat Frank all starting, not one of them can hold infront of defence. We played a 4-5-1, but even with a 5 man midfield, there were only glimpses where we controlled that area of the pitch.

To say that the performance was pathetic is possibly an understatment. But at least it possibly gets rid of McLaren.

Glad we lost. In fact as bad as this sounds, I stayed up until 6am to watch it happen. Couldn't continue to kid ourselves that the shower of overpaid, underperforming players were ever going to do anything under the inept McLaren anyway. We needed a kick up the arse (if not as a football team, as a nation too) and we certainly got it. I'm hearing McLaren is refusing to resign - so he's just as much an arrogant tosser as most of the rest of his team.

I don't tihnk the players are arrogant, we have good players, they know they're good enough to have qualified and they are good enough. But as a team we are vastly underperforming at the moment. We're like the Newcastle United of International teams. Not as good on the pitch as on paper, but knowing that we should be good on both. The players we have in our squad are among the best in the world at club level.

As for McLaren, well he won't resign because he'll get a bigger payoff if he's sacked. I agree that we needed a kick up the arse, we needed a big kick and this hopefully is it. We need a manager who doesn't make his team decisions based on the media and fear of the media, but a manager who spends time assesing the players and then picks the squad he see's the most promise in. Why he picked Lampard, Gerrard and Barry all together is beyond belief. Why Beckham didn't start and why he played a 4-5-1 with Croutch up front on his own is equally as odd.

It's pretty disgraceful that a country with the footballing infrastructure that England has cannot produce a squad of players that'll play for national pride, and give 100% in every game, but instead are each happy to walk away 150,000 quid better off even though they failed. :grumpy:

It's estimated the British economy will miss out of about a billion pounds of revenue from Euro 2008 now, so paying off a couple of million GBP sacking clause in McLaren's contract to ensure we had the tactical acumen to ensure qualification should've been a no-brainer! He never emerged from Sven's shadow, we learned at the last world cup that you can't play and England team with a lone striker, whether it be Rooney, Crouch or Owen, and McLaren was there taking notes. Lord alone knows what sort of numb-nuts scribblings he must've been making, 'cos he obviously never learned anything from them!! :dunce:

McLaren should go, and if he's holding out for more money if he's pushed, then he and all the player's 150,000 pound fees should be reinvested in the young players of England to ensure that come Euro 2012 we've got a genuinely motivated and skillful team of proud players 👍 (somewhat like the Scots have created, only hopefully a little better ;)) and a manager that will make the necessary decisions about tactics and squad selection without allowing the media circus to do it for him. ;) Someone with the bottle to chop and change as necessary and with a variety of tactics for different opponents, and not give in to some of the cry-babies in the dressing room that feel they don't have to earn the right to wear the Three Lions in every game.

McLown has been talking all along about the importance of the Croatia game at Wembley, and how it would all come down to this game. Why the 🤬 then, does he choose this game to adopt an untested formation, with an untested backline, rookie keeper and a single frontman who is great at knockdowns, as long as he's got someone to run on to them?

I feel a little sorry for Carson, but I'm sure Villa will be knocking on Liverpool's door tomorrow, going: "10 million? Are you sure? How about a tenner?" & they'll probably get themselves a cut-price bargain!

That's the beauty of making it to the top of any profession - you get paid for being there whether it turns out you are value for money or not. McClaren's reign as England boss has had few highlights and many, many low points, and Alan Hansen is right - this is the lowest by a mile. To fail to qualify in a group as easy as that is almost beyond belief. To finish with less points than Scotland when we had 3 of the 4 current World Cup semi-finalists in our group is truly beyond belief! McClaren should step down as a mark of common decency. As for the players, it is truly galling to think that they've just earned themselves the summer off next year. There is no justice.

The FA have confirmed the departure of Steve McClaren, with his reign being the shortest in the history of the England national side.

I'm hoping that Mourinho will step up to the challenge.

How about that guy at Man City, whose name escapes me, he's really been able to turn a team around 👍

How about that guy at Man City, whose name escapes me, he's really been able to turn a team around 👍

It does make you think that it's just the England players that are the problem.

Haha, funnily enough someone actually called in to 606 and said "Bring back Sven!". The trouble is, we all know those players can play well enough together, they've shown they can when they've played in their positions they're used to in formations they're used to for club and country...they just don't seem to be able to pull it out of their asses...especially when they know they'll get 150K just for not qualifying. We have the quality, but we lack the passion.

Anyway, I would like to see Mourinho, coincidently he's odds on favorite at 3/1. Martin O'Neill is 4/1 but before the game he had put the reports and links down as "nonsense"

Fabio Capello is the only guy so far to declare an actual interest in the job, and he's got some good credentials, I think the FA should seriously consider at least him and trying to get tempt Mourinho.

Martin O'Neill I dont think has the ability to remold the England team into winners.

I knew we'd go out.

The FA have confirmed the departure of Steve McClaren, with his reign being the shortest in the history of the England national side.
Oh noes! You might get someone good now.... :scared:

That's the beauty of making it to the top of any profession - you get paid for being there whether it turns out you are value for money or not. McClaren's reign as England boss has had few highlights and many, many low points, and Alan Hansen is right - this is the lowest by a mile. To fail to qualify in a group as easy as that is almost beyond belief. To finish with less points than Scotland when we had 3 of the 4 current World Cup semi-finalists in our group is truly beyond belief! McClaren should step down as a mark of common decency. As for the players, it is truly galling to think that they've just earned themselves the summer off next year. There is no justice.

I wouldn't say it's an easy group, we should have qualified, of that there's no doubt. But Croatia are a strong team, Russia away is a tough fixture. The draw at home to Macedonia hurts so much more now.

A German coaching England?! *dies laughing*

Martin O'Neill would be a terrific England coach - he has a proven track record of turning a squad of reasonable players into a team*

* For the benefit of any former England managers reading, "team" is infact an English word meaning 'a group of individuals who co-operate and act together as a single, functional unit'. Yes, a "team"... now there's a concept England would do well to get their heads around!

I wouldn't say it's an easy group, we should have qualified, of that there's no doubt. But Croatia are a strong team, Russia away is a tough fixture. The draw at home to Macedonia hurts so much more now.
I should have left in the word 'relatively' easy... for England as top (or was it 2nd) seeds, it doesn't get much easier than that I'm afraid.

Glad to see El Tel has been given the heave-ho as well... you know who the FA should have hired along since McClaren? Nigel Stepney. Atleast he has a proven track record of giving McClarens a performance advantage!

:lol: The problem with Nigel was that he was employed until recently.

I doubt we'll get Jose, I really hope we don't put Shearer in charge, he's stated his interest last week I think. Shearer is a decent guy and I'm sure he knows his stuff, but he has no managment experience. I really think the FA should resign now and a new board of people who actually know what football is come in to replace them.

Problem with Shearer = lack of management experience, though he knows probably how the players would work at their best, and during his captain career he was effective as a motivator. Could work.

Lack of management maybe, but he was number 2 to Roeder, and he certainly knows football.

Mourinho has ruled himself out.

Benitez dropped a little hint and Capello has declared his interest.

Fabio Capello? YES PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back