Euro-Muscle: Ford Mustang Review

Can't speak for the rest of Europe, but I know the #1 reason this car is not selling in The Netherlands: emissions tax. The car that you can buy in the UK for 40k GBP costs a whopping EUR 112k (auto) to 118k (manual) in The Netherlands.

In that same bracket you can get the following cars in the Netherlands:

- Porsche 911 (base)
- Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe
- Lexus LC 500h
- Jaguar F-Type
- Chevrolette Corvette Coupe
- BMW M3 (with 8k to spare)

Just a few examples. That's some pretty tough competition because the emissions tax pushes it way outside of its intended price-bracket.

I thought the same was true in the UK - that CO2 taxes would push this to M3 level out-the-door cost.

Also watch out for Mustangs

Funny-Mustang-Meme-7.jpg

As a Life long Ford man my plan was to buy one of these when it came to the UK, but after viewing a couple and a test ride it is a great car and a good all rounder but it wasn't for me. So the Choice for a Coupe petrol V8 or V6 was then narrowed down to the new F Type S/R coupe, Nissan 370z Nismo, Lexus RCF, BMW M3, Porsche Cayman, Audi RS5, Mercedes E/C63 AMG or an older Maserati Gran Turismo, Aston DB9 or Jaguar XK ...The Older Jaguar won my heart and I went for a Used Classic Jaguar XKR 5.0 V8 with the Supercharger 510BHP 👍

Last edited:
Pretty much agree with your comments, but the brakes on the manual V8 I drove were shocking... 90% of the braking force happens in the 1st 1% of pedal travel... made toe n heel impossible, and ruined the car for me.

I thought the same was true in the UK - that CO2 taxes would push this to M3 level out-the-door cost.
Nah. You pay the sticker price, which includes the first year of VED at £2,000. Subsequent years are £140, unless you add enough options to take it above £40,000, which would make it cost £450 a year.

Pretty much agree with your comments, but the brakes on the manual V8 I drove were shocking... 90% of the braking force happens in the 1st 1% of pedal travel... made toe n heel impossible, and ruined the car for me.
Yup, same for all RHD Mustangs. LHD cars feel completely different. Suspect they've half-assed the setup for RHD cars, which is a real shame.

The Mustang, at least to me, seems like such a strange car to sell in Europe that I'm wondering why Ford even bothered. It's almost always going to be compared to other contemporaries in the category in the US, and most European and probably Australian buyers as well are going to be looking at better options considering the never dying stigma of the American muscle car.

probably Australian buyers as well

Mustang is by far Australia's number one selling sports car and the second biggest seller for Ford behind the Ranger ute.

In fact *shock horror* GM has now suddenly decided to bring over the Camaro and Corvette...though the catch with those is that they require a RHD conversion so a new Camaro SS is going to be in the AU$90k range. Ouch.

Back