Everything GT5 could learn from iRacing

• Thread starter WedgeX
  • 106 comments
Canada
Canada
WedgeAB
So its been almost a year since I've played both GT and iRacing, I got both my copy of GT5 and my iRacing subscription in the same month last year... so this is a years worth of my observations, bare with me. lol.

I don't want to come off like I hate GT5 this isn't even about that, but these are largly the reasons why I only play GT5 a few times a month and play iRacing virtually every day.... I see so much potential in GT5, the game is oozing potential but at the same time there are so many things that bother me about it. I continue to play it mostly as a casual or social game, I've given up seeing it as any kind of competative avenue, but I hope some day that will change as the game no doubt will improve.

GT5 was pretty easy to settle into after xmas but I didn't really feel a huge urgency to play it because I had recently played alot of gt4 ... so doing all the liscensing over was tedious....but I was impressed by the networking options and the game seemed to have a bright future online. I did a little rally, drove around the ring etc. I was happy to be finally playing it but at the same time wasn't really overwhelming me with any kind of excitement.

As I got more into with gt5 I also spent more time getting into iRacing.

Why GT5 Needs Consequences

iRacing really kicked my ass.... as a begginner just finishing your first race without incidents is an accomplishment in itself. If you play with a clutch you really are in for a challenge as you are forced to learn proper footwork, smooth shifting, heel toe etc. hell toe Wrong and you spin the car out - pop it into the wrong gear and you blow the enging out and your race is done... on the spot - But because of these 'consequences' the sense of reward when you accomplish anything in that game is amazing, your first few clean overtakes, your first clean race, and eventually when you finally win one... the sense of reward from this game is second to none. Especially when you race online, because crashing and car contact matters ... you could easily get taken out of a race at any moment when in proximity to other drivers.... This puts you in the mindset of bringing your A-game or don't bother showing up. ..it raises the stakes to a level that 'most' console racers just have no concept of as yet. At first most of my races ended shortly in crashes.... but soon I adopted the strategy of driving safe - attempting to approach situations as if If I was using my own real world driving judgement (instead of my previous attempts at 1st lap heroics and retard strength dive bombing) to try to stay away from pile ups, aggressive drivers and my own slip ups... eventually as I got better I started to pressure the other drivers to see who'd choke and messup, only then I would pass if there was a clear opportunity - and further beyond that I would actually take the inside of corners and pray they'd race clean.

In GT5 however I really feel like there is way too much hand holding (Especially for a game that calls it self a SIMULATOR) - you can't drive out of the pits yourself - when you rally you get held back by invisible barriers ... its virtually impossible to break your car or the engine, the invisible walls on the Top Gear test track for me is especially bizare, not the mention the cones... why?.. you can't put snow tires on certain cars..... I know for a fact and have seen videos on youtube of people racing Karts in snow.. even F1 drivers have done it so wtf? ... but worst of all is probably the collisions. GT5 claims to be a simulation but in something like Richard burns rally when you drive your rally car off a cliff you've just driven your car off a cliff... in gt5 you literally can't make that mistake, so the consequence of that happening is never there.... thus the thrill of driving on those amazingly beautiful rally courses we have in gt5 is deminished.

GT5 needs better collisions, consequences AND Demerits

... the cars are virtually indestructable sure But where I really have a problem is in the crash physics ... not the actual damage but what happens when to 2 objects colide during a race. In gt5 the only way I can describe car contact is like 2 high speed bars of soap knocking into eachother, sometimes you even get that rubber band effect where there is a serious bounce off of eachother... but it all just seems wrong and its one of the biggest issues that I feel needs work

the collisions in iRacing however are very convincing, the cars generally react in a realistic manner to crashes and when there is contact its almost always bad or atleast very risky for both parties, you also get demerits for bad driving ... can you imagine how nice it would be in GT5 if aggressive bully drivers made less or even no money from racing dirty and you got bonuses for clean racing? ... there is no reward for good clean driving in GT5 and often I feel that people get more rewards from bad driving and forcing their way past you than actually racing properly ..... There is also no reason why GT5 can't adopt a similar Clean Driver Ranking, iRacers fret quite a bit about their safety rating ... good drivers take pride in racing clean and when iRacers have a string of bad races they end up at the bottom of the barrel keeping out of traffic, letting people pass and just trying to get that safety rating up ... how does that compair to GT5 where people just don't give a flying !@#$ and smash you out of the way from behind with no regard.

I know there is a penalty system in gt5, I just don't think it works very well... although I will admit the one in iRacing isn't perfect either.

Probably the first change I would make the GT5 or the next GT game would be to bring back Simulation Mode but this time when you buy a car its Break it and you buy it.... or if you crash it you fix it.... out of your own pocket with race earnings... if you want to race the same car all the time you have to race it clean and keep up repairs ... basically not use AI cars and online opponents as brakes... It would totally raise the level of play of every driver in GT5l.... it would be a huge incentive for people to race clean as they wouldn't want to risk smashing up their favorite cars. And if you don't like the sound of any of this there would always be Arcade Mode... hell I thought thats what it was for...

GT5 Needs More Fixed Class (Single Make Online Racing)

Back to GT5 ... as I discovered more and more how amazing and heated the races in iRacing could be.. I went back to GT5, maybe looking to see if I could apply some of my newly aquire racing skill to another game, maybe just because GT5 has more variety or just the fact that more people play it and its easier to get to know new people in GT5.... I had a hard time finding good races though, online races weren't very competative and often quite laggy or just a bunch of people screwing around..... so I found myself in Time Trials.... at first I was really getting into it but the Tuning aspect really turned me off, its not who can Time Trial the fastest with X car ... its who can find the fastest car out of 1000 and tune it... I found myself spending more time tuning and reading the forums for setups and such than I actually spent playing - On one occasion I spent a whole Saturday working on a Time Trial .. only to download a few of the fastest ghost cars to discover they were bouncing off the walls to get a better time.... I was like !@#$ this.

The exception was maybe the Nissan Challenge that was just that car - with that Time Trial I had alot of fun - but those are pretty rare.

But for me the Tuning issue is huge because I don't have the time or the patience for it, in iRacing I usually just download a setup for a car and I'm done..that takes about 5 mins at most .... but in GT5 90 percent of the time (just joining different servers) I had a slower car than alot of people, I was looking for online races where my skill level would be the defining factor, but I generally COULD LITERALLY NOT FIND THIS.... so I didn't have a fair chance most of the time and those races where it was fair were very difficult to find - nobody wants to race the recommended category and its just not happening .... even Nascar .. you buy a Nascar, join a Nascar server and a minute later someone online tells you you have no chance on their server and your better off leaving... its rediculous - by contrast in iRacing Everyone pretty much always has the same car because its fixed class racing (so its about bloody driving skill) the fact that there is virtually no fixed class racing in GT5 is a real shame - the races are rarely fair - even shuffle racing leaves much to be desired. And I'm not saying I'm always going to win with the same car but the results when I'm in a room where the host suddenly switches to All Karts ... or all whatever .. whenver everyone has the same car my results are drastically a different story.... I'm in the race usually in the lead pack or infront of the middle pack and sometimes even win a few... on the few occasions this occured it felt vindicating.

NET Code / Lag / Playability

And this ofcourse brings up the issue of league play, Ofcourse there are people out there like me who want this kind of fair racing, But in GT5 everything is up to the players to organize... you have to get on a forum like this, get talking to people and together work out when most people can get together to play etc. to sum it up its alot of work and showing up at a specific time gets tricky - by contrast iRacing is basically this 24/7 ... as the races start every hour on the hour or between and its all organized with no effort required by anyone.... sure there have been a few races where we only had a few people and some series are unfortunately less popular but its still a world of difference from GT5 where finding these kinds of races with like minded people is just alot more damn work

Maybe with this I'm asking too much - but I know the Online PS3 game MAG must have had some kind of dedicated servers because com'on 256 players and the game runs flawlessly?...... but something like Left for Dead (even on the PC) can only run 4 player coop smoothly without it... Dedicated server support is huge - its the reason PC games can easily run 32 even 64 players well... while the exact same titles on Console are running servers with 6 on 6... 8 on 8 .... lol

I don't know how much console gamers are aware of the tremendous difference dedicated server support makes to a game. GT5 obviously has a decent net code or it wouldn't work at all..... but lag is common enough to make me wonder if any result I get online is a fair one.

but iRacing's is virtually flawless - when you have 18 cars on a Nascar track running a tight draft bumper to bumper and just how smooth it runs. GT5 gets very twitchy, sometimes even with only a handful of players.... the worst I've seen iRacing is when one or maybe 2 cars were flashing ...but this isn't even common enough to consider common.... gt5 however lag is very common for alot of people and its amazing how bad it can get - the worst I've seen GT5 is racing behind a dust cloud of laggy cars as they snake around the track as if they aren't even remotely connected to the road at all... at the end of the day Servers are the reason iRacing can run a world championship for actual Cash Money and be legit while GT5 or any other game would have to run that thing live in person to have any credibility and fairness.

And to be honest I can't pick on GT5 as being alone with this lag problem, this is an issue with every online racing game I've ever seen that didn't have server support... Dirt Series, F12010 ... NFS Shift... hell everything..

What would be amazing if they somehow made an ap that could run on a windows server that would run/host the game from a PC ...and everyone would just connect to it. What this also does is literally provide a virtual place where people can meet... I know there are some great hosts out there in GT5 online, but with a Server you don't have to worry about someone Up and leaving everyone high and dry because he's missing the game or having a family crisis in the middle of a race meet.

Technology is amazing, there are solutions to everything.... Portal 2 is a cross platform game where supposedly ppl from ps3 and pc can play together... I think dedicated servers for GT5 running off a PC is actually less amazing than that.

Just to be fair there are probably a few things iRacing could learn from GT5 as well and I could nit pick iRacing about as harshly as I could GT5, especially on their pricing structure and a few limitations with car purchases that are down right bad business practice, lol ... but to be honest for competition iRacing really has no equal.

Last edited:
I've been on Iracing now for about 4 months and tried to go back to GT5 online the other night, but it wasn't good. Lots of door riding and bumping, pushing. I guess I have been molded into the Iracing way of things cause I don't plan to go back to GT5 online.

I think your ideas are really good. I like the consequences, better collisions/damage, and fixed racing. The online servers you speak of would probably cause PD/Sony to start charging a monthly fee though. While not a bad idea by any means if the online would be similiar to that of Iracing, the GT world would probably be pissed. Just basing that off of all the negativity in the GT forum anymore.

I think as a whole, GT5 is meant to be played casually. I try to remember that when playing it, but having exposed myself to Iracing has to a extent ruined GT5 online for me. I know most of the time I will have a clean and competitive race in Iracing so I race there. And we should, we pay good money to play it.

I haven't lost hope yet for GT5. PD keeps rolling out the updates and now more content on the horizon, so maybe some good things will come of it.

Last edited:
Excellent first post mate 👍 And, welcome to the forums... :)

I feel the same way entirely; I haven't been back to GT5 since I started iRacing (about 3 months ago) for all the reasons you stated above. I haven't even been out and bought Forza 4 yet either, mainly as I enjoy iRacing so much.

Hope to see you on the track! :)

Great post WedgeX! 👍

In some ways I'm in a similar situation. I bought my PS3 just about 3 years ago to the day, along with a Logitech G25 and a copy of F1:CE, Ferrari Challenge and GT5:Prologue. At the time, in a side by side comparison, it was cheaper to buy the PS3 AND a playseat than it was a 1/2 way decent gaming PC on it's own. So it was basically a financial decision for me.

It was a decision I don't regret because over the years, and much to my initial surprise, I've met a lot of great people on the PSN, many of them dedicated racing fans, who like me, aren't really hard core gamers per se, but motor sport enthusiasts, who approached online racing a bit more seriously than the average player. And over the years, through my first three games, and in the ensuing time with Superstars of V8 Racing, NFS:Shift (OK, maybe not this one), Supercar Challenge, V8 Racing II and GT5, and others, my PSN friend list grew.

It took me only a year to learn that if you race in public lobbies, more often than not, you were entering a free for all that included people from all walks of the gaming spectrum: Casual gamers who maybe liked cars, hard-core gamers simply trophy seeking, young kids weened on Mario Kart, perhaps even stone drunk or simply stoned trouble makers just looking to make an ass of themselves, and you along with them. Few of them really have a clue about rules and racing etiquette. From time to time, at least for a few months after it's initial release, I used to browse the GT5 lobbies just to spectate. But to this day, I've never once raced online in a public lobby. But I've spent countless hours online in both impromptu and organized online races and even full blown championships, with those on my friend list.

In the spring of this year, the seeds of disenchantment started to grow. The ridiculously over-boosted slip stream, a tire model that simply wore out too quickly, the flakey net code, etc, all made me realize that I was looking for more out of racing game and I was unlikely to ever find it on the PS3. So I finally bit the bullet bought a decent PC and ran through the gauntlet: RFactor, Live for Speed, Race 07/GTR Evo, etc. There were pros and cons with all of them. But one of the things that kept me away from PC gaming was all the hassles of PC gaming. And I found, for example, with RFactor in particular, I spent far more time tweaking and adjusting and downloading and patching and adjusting again, than I ever did racing. I longed for the simplicity of the console world.

I left iRacing for last because I'm not a big fan of the pay to play model. And I'm still not. But after making an earnest attempt to enter the PC sim racing world with an open mind, and keeping one eye closed to preconceived notions and to the myriad of rabid RFactor or Simbin or iRacing fanboys, I came to the opinion that for what I wanted and what I was looking for, iRacing was better than anything else out there. It's like this for ALL of the reasons you mentioned in your post. I've been a member for a little over 2 months and I just signed up for year's subscription.

Now when I go back to GT5, I find myself truly at odds, even racing with my friends in private lobbies. Even after the improvements of the 2.0 update, an update that gave me nearly everything I was asking for, I still hate the unnatural way the cars sort of 'jump' around the track, the way even with damage on, the cars can still (lightly) bounce off walls and each other without consequences, the somewhat unnatural way the tires lose grip and the arcade like way the cars regain traction. I could sit here now and literally write a dissertation on all the things that really annoy me about GT5, since I've gotten used to the goodness of iRacing. But the fact of the matter is, in my opinion, GT5 is the best console racer out there by far. And if you accept the limitations of the PSN, the hardware limitations of the PS3 and most importantly, the fact that it's a console game, designed to be enjoyed and played by a very broad demographic of people, including hard core entusiasts with a 3 screen setup and T500RS and a bunch of 10 year olds sitting on the couch with a bag of chips and a sixaxis, one simply has to forgive it of it's limitations and see it for what it is. I would guess, less than 5% of those who play GT5 would find iRacing's Safety Points & iRating system in any way endearing. And that's being generous. For what it's worth, every single racing game I ever played on the PS3 has suffered lag, dropped connections and funky behavior. I've spent far too many hours of my life trying to analyze it and understand it. And I've finally come to the conclusion that it's a combination of the PSN itself an that some people simply have 'noisy' networks or very limiting internet pathways between themselves and the PSN.

GT5 is the perfect game to unwind with friends for a semi-realistic driving experience, enjoying, one could easily argue, the best visuals in the sim-racing world. It has a lot of merits. But to compare it with iRacing, a hard-core simulation for those who want the ultimate sim-racing experience, is simply futile. iRacing is all-serious, all the time. And I love it. But sometimes I ask myself, when I'm fretting over my SR, if I'm really doing this for 'fun'. So GT5 and iRacing for me, sort of from a balance. And I try to take both for what they are, and enjoy both for what they can offer. GT5 is NEVER going to be a full blown sim racer. And iRacing will never have an SR free, every lobby open, grab your sixaxis, join the party race for free day.

Last edited:
Hi Wedge X, I agree with a lot of what you are saying. For someone like myself who played a lot of Prologue I find the lack of online matchmaking and time trial leaderboards (which prologue had) in GT5 a huge dissapointment.

To be honest I hardly ever play GT5 anymore, in my opinion we live in the age of online gaming and I find GT5 online severely lacking. I found I was spending all night going in and out of lobbies trying to find one that I liked but to no avail. Like yourself I just want to be able to go online anytime and be able to compete in some fair/competetive racing.
Prologue was better in this respect with races organised every 15 to 30 mins here on the forum, they were pp based so still involved tuning but it seemed to work better.

I actually find GT5 a lot better to race side by side in as it allows slight contact (a bit of rubbing lol) without over reacting. Prologue could be a bit of a nightmare in this respect with even the smallest contact whilst racing side by side could launch you right off the track.

I would love to try iracing and some of the other PC games but as jjaisli also mentioned I like the simplicity of a games console compared whats involved with a PC.

Wedge has alot of good points, mostly about the insanity of GT5 (invisible walls, concrete brake markers, lack of repairs, damage, etc.)

However in real life results are mostly about the car. In real racing the guy with the fastest (or nearly the fastest) car is going to win 90% of the time. Sometimes in a rainy race a slower car can win with a great team that won the car setup lottery for those specific conditions so to speak.

Real racing is not really about driving skill. You need a certain level of driving skill (far above and beyond the normal person), but in real life car racing; every driver in a pro field is pretty darn skilled. It really comes down to the team's budget, how much mechanical grip they can get and having a decent engine.

Obviously the driver can NOT be a screw up either, but its almost all down to the car. Look at how up and down a professional racing car driver's results are from year to year.

Real racing is not really about driving skill. You need a certain level of driving skill (far above and beyond the normal person), but in real life car racing; every driver in a pro field is pretty darn skilled. It really comes down to the team's budget, how much mechanical grip they can get and having a decent engine.

Obviously the driver can NOT be a screw up either, but its almost all down to the car. Look at how up and down a professional racing car driver's results are from year to year.

Hi Rich. On this point I have to (slightly) disagree. Yes, with professional races, come professional drivers. And take any driver from a mid to top tier series (ILMS, DTM, BTCC, ALMS, Indycar, GP2, etc) and they're faster than 99.9% of the people out there in the same car. That's why they're professionals. Most people who play GT5, or even iRacing for that matter, are not professional drivers. Nor are they even "professional" Sim-racers (a somewhat unique skill unto itself). Those who are are the "professional" sim racers are the 'aliens'. They guys who set TT times that just leave you shaking your head. The guys who somehow always make it to the lead. The guys who make you shake your head and wonder, why the heck you can't seem follow the same lines and achieve the same times.

Sure, maybe (in iRacing) if you enter a lobby with a bunch of class A or pro guys with iRatings all above 5000 you might have a similar situation that you have in professional racing--a lobby or race with guys who all posses trully exceptional skill. And there the guy with the faster car or better setup will likely claim victory.

But I don't have alien skills. And (so long as there are enough splits) I usually get put into lobbies with others of similar iRating points. So in sim racing, it is indeed about skill. And being a bit better or faster than the next guy really does make a difference. Although, one could argue that guys who have a LOT of time on their hands and continually run laps over and over again can manage amazing times simply by repetition.

Hi Rich. On this point I have to (slightly) disagree. Yes, with professional races, come professional drivers. And take any driver from a mid to top tier series (ILMS, DTM, BTCC, ALMS, Indycar, GP2, etc) and they're faster than 99.9% of the people out there in the same car. That's why they're professionals. Most people who play GT5, or even iRacing for that matter, are not professional drivers. Nor are they even "professional" Sim-racers (a somewhat unique skill unto itself). Those who are are the "professional" sim racers are the 'aliens'. They guys who set TT times that just leave you shaking your head. The guys who somehow always make it to the lead. The guys who make you shake your head and wonder, why the heck you can't seem follow the same lines and achieve the same times.

Sure, maybe (in iRacing) if you enter a lobby with a bunch of class A or pro guys with iRatings all above 5000 you might have a similar situation that you have in professional racing--a lobby or race with guys who all posses trully exceptional skill. And there the guy with the faster car or better setup will likely claim victory.

But I don't have alien skills. And (so long as there are enough splits) I usually get put into lobbies with others of similar iRating points. So in sim racing, it is indeed about skill. And being a bit better or faster than the next guy really does make a difference. Although, one could argue that guys who have a LOT of time on their hands and continually run laps over and over again can manage amazing times simply by repetition.
Well my point was that a faster car will have an advantage in real life (therefore games should create differences amongst cars.) I have a suspicion that the car makes a huge diff..... (5 seconds+ on a 1:30 lap). You generally dont see this amongst one make races in sim games. The fastest alien in the world would be beaten by an average driver! LOL :sly:

Although it is true that great drivers are hired by great teams. A system where there's a sort of "car lottery" who gets lucky and has the fastest car, would be more realistic and interesting.

Last edited:

The thing with reality vs iRacing is that in the real world you can buy a seat in any series (even F1)
In iRacing it´s your iRating that does the talking and money won´t help there :)

Should say i agree with the OP in the "bringing your A-game". That, for me atleast is very true.

If i don´t feel 100% focused to do a race i won´t do it. Every time i´ve felt a little so so and decided to do a race anyway, bad **** happens :)

If i don´t feel 100% focused to do a race i won´t do it. Every time i´ve felt a little so so and decided to do a race anyway, bad **** happens :)

This is true for me also. Trouble is, I still tend to enter the race anyway! :dunce:

This is true for me also. Trouble is, I still tend to enter the race anyway! :dunce:

Next time, don´t :)

Do this instead,

1. check for the most populated practice server of your choice
2. write PIT PARTY!!!!
3. watch as everyone piles up in the pits
4. head out and just gun it :)

Man what i blast i had on SPA when it was released ;)
I hosted probably around 20 servers in total if not more and sometimes we were 40+ mazdas in the pits then headed out for some insane draft-racing :)

Should say i agree with the OP in the "bringing your A-game". That, for me atleast is very true.

So true!

Pit Party!!!
partypeople.gif

I'm gonna try that :) lol

I would love to try iracing ..........

just try and you will see after that GT will looks like a kindergarden. :sly:

i know you. if you are looking for pure racing, then do iRacing. if you want more like nice pics, helmets, tuning etc, play GT or Forza. ;)

pit party huh that sounds like fun.

Good thread. Hard to go back to console games due to reasons pointed out. No safety rating to punish nobbery. Plus no organized 'seasons'. No fixed racing, etc. Thread is spot on.

Granted I think GT5 gets better if you do the organized seasons run by a host. Still wont have iRacing's fancy stat tracking, etc though

The thing with reality vs iRacing is that in the real world you can buy a seat in any series (even F1)
So true.....more so in F1 maybe since its so expensive. :sly:

Well if Justin Wilson, Alex Gurney, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Marcos Ambrose, Martin Truex Jr., AJ Allmendinger, Scott Speed, Shane Van Gisbergen, and Jacques Villeneuve's opinions mean anything the game is excellent for training. :dopey:

I have to wonder though if its worth the $$$$ (beg my pardon). :sly:One positive is the high number of tracks (looking at the website their constantly adding new places). Racing cars around & around though gets boring after a while especially if your poor (not in the skills department, just $$$ dept.) you have no hope of racing in real life.

Rich, the best suggestion I can make, is sign up for the 3 month trial. It's $12. And for that price it comes with a couple of cars and tracks so it's enough to get your feet wet in several different Rookie series, both oval and road racing.

You'll probably know after just a few days if it's worth pursuing.

At 1st after my 3 month trial maybe I would say the prices might be a bit much. But after returning I now understand how this sim works. No offense to other titles such as GT5, Forza, etc but those are all 'games'. They are meant to entertain and sprinkle in very nice physics to a reasonable extent. iRacing is a different beast. It's not meant to entertain per se. You'll see your license plummet if you drive poorly and you'll be held accountable for your actions

The cars are not meant for you to collect in your garage per se. You'll find that most likely you do not have lots of time to dedicate to multiple series. I purchased a couple of content but it turns out I could get by just fine sticking with the free rookie content.

Now if you're naturally talented and find yourself earning iRating fast then sure that's when the prices kick in. But you'll quickly find iRacing has no competitor in what it offers atm.

I should add they run promos all the time. I've amassed bout $40 in iRacing credit alone. Plus you can earn bout $40 iracing credit from completing seasons. If you want to save money to fast track you do not have to buy a bunch of tracks. I purchased most of the tracks for this Skippy season and didnt even need them. I'm going to get promoted shortly off of racing just a tiny bit on 1 or 2 tracks. So much to do. The free content alone can occupy one for many months. Just remember you don't have to purchase all the tracks for a 'season' unless you plan on showing up every week. In my opinion that might be a LOT to learn if you've never seen them before

Also, you'll be surprised a lot of experienced drivers still do rookie! They are so much fun. I have no plans to stop racing rookie. As my iRacing increases I'll be tossed into the upper splits with people with similar skill anyways.

I know it's tough if you're just branching out from console games. You might be thinking, "I must collect all these tracks & cars!!!!" But its not like that. You'll spread yourself too thin most likely. Just take your time and only purchase what ya need to reach your goal. I have a hard time figuring out what to spend my credits on because I really dont need much to reach my goals.

Last edited:
if you want to drive a proper driver's car then buy the Riley Daytona, not pretty little thing but she knows how to put a smile on your face every corner :)

especially now with the orig tire model which allows sime slip angles without loosing much speed.

just try and you will see after that GT will looks like a kindergarden. :sly:

i know you. if you are looking for pure racing, then do iRacing. if you want more like nice pics, helmets, tuning etc, play GT or Forza. ;)

Hi Rudi, so that's where you have been hiding lol.

Nice pics, helmets etc. I couldn't really give a 🤬 about. Fair online racing based on driver skill is what I am looking for so maybe I will see you soon...:)

Can anyone tell me the basic PC requirements to run the game? I'm a bit clueless in that department, all I know is mine is made by Packard Bell and has an Intel i3 core thingy inside it :dunce:

Also can I use my DFGT wheel?

EDIT: I just clicked the link in the other thread to see if my PC meets the requirements, apparently all I need is a videocard to run the recommended settings.

It recommends these 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800+ / ATI Radeon 2900 Pro+), which one is better and where is the best place to get one (UK)

Sorry for the OT :guilty:

Last edited:
You won't regret it Enigma, I have been iRacing for years and it is truly awesome. As you know though, I still play GT5 for ***** and giggles.

I'd always go for Nvidia but thats just personal preference

Good replies... I waited to long to reply to them individually so I thought I would just post an update

Glad to see some people feel the same way... and for any doubters Don't get my wrong about how I feel about GT5.....I like almost everything else about the game except for its failure to provide a competitive venue. I notice a few people mentioned physics - but to me the physics are at least comparable to iracing - I ran Spa with the Mustang gt with as close as I could figure out setup to how I run it in iRacing and the experience of driving it is almost exactly the same (so long as i'm on the track alone) I couldn't get the car perfectly the same but the manner I had to drive it was eerily similar to how I drove it in iRacing ... same breaking points, throttle imputes and steering.

To the person who said ... Just play the game, I have and that's what I've been doing all this week after work, but I seem to enjoy the game most when I'm just by myself on the track running against my own ghost car .... but I did feel a little better about playing GT5 this week since its been week 13 in iRacing.... which I don't normally bother with because I can't even get safety points from most of the events. Ironically its gives me the same feeling as the one that motivated me to make this post about GT5..... no consequence racing and an empty feeling about competition.

I guess what motivated me to post this was in part because when GT5 first came out GT Academy was just starting... But what offended me was the fact that they were presenting GT5 as a competitive game, when in reality its not at that tier yet. But because of this a part of me was hoping to use some of the skills I was learning in iRacing to test myself against the other drivers in GT5....but like I said this just wasn't happening.... and I know GT Academy is a great contest but what about the other 95 percent of the GT community who isn't in it? ... or doesn't qualify? ...where's our contest? ... by contrast in iRacing the contest goes all year around you can go at your own pace, there isn't really any hurry to be good right this minute because there is no deadline..... and its generally racing not time trials... GT Academy to me is like that lottery in the Movie 'the Island' where all those cogs are all hoping to win and go on a tropical vacation and get out of the rat race.

Someone mentioned pay to play for Dedicated servers... frankly I'd be down with that if a) collisions were fixed and b) there was some form of online ranking to keep score - If you have a league of 10-15 people and the cost is shared its not really a big issue, there are plenty of FPS clans on PC who gladly pay for servers ...it might be a hard sell for many casual console players because a large majority of them don't even know what dedicated severs do, lol. But your right for bringing this issue up because on a some games its free of charge .... I think BF3 will have a form of dedserver because they are running 24 players.... you can't do that with a host. Either way, the option of running them for those serious enough is win win, if your just casual your provided what's already out there - let's not kid ourselves most GT5 players are fine with what they have already ... whether have no interest in competition (or think they're already competing) or just have no clue what else is out there it really doesn't matter. The point is leagues and such are only going to be for more hard core players....

I resent the comment about 90% of racing being about the car.... I'm not saying your wrong but it really speaks to everything I dislike about motor-sports and have no interest in.... 90% should be about the driver... I'm not saying it ever will be but there are plenty of racing series that were solely invented to provide fair racing, there are many fixed class race series as well ... just because a few of the premier series don't fallow this ideology doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people out there who feel this way. Can you honestly say you feel as satisfied winning with a faster car?.... this is honestly my biggest problem with GT5... even against the Ai ... if you tune your car too much its so easy to beat the AI, there is virtually no satisfaction in it, its just procedural and you go through the motions till its done - but you feel deep down like you cheated the game - but on the other hand if you don't tune the car enough even jump in with any stock model and then can't catch up to the lead car you feel like the game cheated you . And its all gray area in this department.

And when it comes to online play Yea, sure most people just like to mess around and crash into each-other and don't 'really care who wins - But that's not everybody.... there are guys I've met who will spend half the time helping ppl setup thier car - This one guy I played with was willing to spend 5 minutes helping me setup a single car to race with the others in a fixed class race... but that's 5 minutes (for every new person to join his server while everyone has to wait)...(and the racing wasn't really fixed because he had to argue the merits of fair racing with a few of the new people who joined the race late) it would just be nice if they made this part easier for online races.

Last edited:
I resent the comment about 90% of racing being about the car.... I'm not saying your wrong but it really speaks to everything I dislike about motor-sports and have no interest in.... 90% should be about the driver... I'm not saying it ever will be but there are plenty of racing series that were solely invented to provide fair racing, there are many fixed class race series as well ... just because a few of the premier series don't fallow this ideology doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people out there who feel this way. Can you honestly say you feel as satisfied winning with a faster car?

I feel the exact same way. I credit drivers with their accomplishments. The BMW M3 didn't win every ALMS race. Drivers like Jorg Bergmeister and Jaime Melo (when his car was running), along with the Faulken guys etc. didn't just give up, and often won races in their class. They didn't give up, they fought HARD and it often paid off.

I know Le Mans fans that scoff at challenge classes, but to me they're some of the closest racing in the series. I get tired of watching diesel prototypes crap all over the petrol cars and stealing all the camera time.

I don't have a superiority complex so no, I don't like winning by just destroying everything without challenge. Racing isn't normally set up with one overpowered car and everyone else not able to drive worth a damn.

That's why iRacing works so well, though. It's mostly all spec racing.

I have a friend at work who joined a racing league

The race organizer did a good job sending out e-mails and updating his webpage to keep people in the know - at first they did shuffle.... i even joined in on a race one weekend.

but it became apparent to us after that even on shuffle its not really a fair race... whenever myself or my friend got a car that hit the rev limiter too soon we'd get passed easily on the straights... I wasn't really that impressed but my friend stayed with the league for a few more weeks but because of the unfair racing the league host decided they'd have to switch to a fixed-class race which meant a ton of work writing up and sending out e-mails to tell people which cars to buy and how to tune them exactly the way he wanted - my friend quit the league because it was just getting so complicated and time consuming .....

does anyone else have a problem with this? ...... the league host should be able to give everyone the car he wants without restrictions.... why does the simple activity of a fixed-class race online have to be this complicated for everyone involved is beyond me.

i like the car selection in GT5 MUCH better, iRacing seems heavily focused on domestics aside from Mazda, and most of the cars are downright boring (solstice, legends, street stock, mustang, etc) would be nice to see more Japanese representation (LFA, GT-R, NSX, S2000, RX7/8, Supra etc). I really like the consequences of iRacing though, people drive with a bit more caution, and for the most part make clean passes, although last week i passed someone for 1st with 8 laps to go only to get rear-ended into the following turn (suffered damage and finished 8th)

i like the car selection in GT5 MUCH better, iRacing seems heavily focused on domestics aside from Mazda, and most of the cars are downright boring (solstice, legends, street stock, mustang, etc) would be nice to see more Japanese representation (LFA, GT-R, NSX, S2000, RX7/8, Supra etc). I really like the consequences of iRacing though, people drive with a bit more caution, and for the most part make clean passes, although last week i passed someone for 1st with 8 laps to go only to get rear-ended into the following turn (suffered damage and finished 8th)

For me, the car selection of GT5 is highly overrated. Because I only race gtplanet online league races, in the last eight-ish months I have only raced three different cars.

To me there is no need to switch cars often. The real challenge, and therefore the real fun, is mastering tracks - not individual cars that only vary slightly in behavior. Give me a diverse handful of cars and a bunch of great tracks and I'll by busy for months trying to master each track. Iracing certainly has gt5 beat in this respect, having many more real world tracks.

If you want to drive street cars then I can see that iracing isn't for you, but if you like racing race cars then iracing is hard to beat.

Also, the cars in iracing seem to be modeled much more accurately than in gt5 - and I don't just mean aesthetically. Quality over quantity applies here.

For these reasons I am greatly looking forward to switching over to iracing when I can afford a new pc. I fear than I'll never want to touch gt5 again once I get a taste of iracing. :(

Latest Posts

Back