Everything GT5 could learn from iRacing

• Thread starter WedgeX
  • 106 comments
i like the car selection in GT5 MUCH better, iRacing seems heavily focused on domestics aside from Mazda, and most of the cars are downright boring (solstice, legends, street stock, mustang, etc) would be nice to see more Japanese representation (LFA, GT-R, NSX, S2000, RX7/8, Supra etc). I really like the consequences of iRacing though, people drive with a bit more caution, and for the most part make clean passes, although last week i passed someone for 1st with 8 laps to go only to get rear-ended into the following turn (suffered damage and finished 8th)

It's called licensing, not every car game out there is going to be like Forza or Gt. Also iRacing isn't going to have normal cars, if you look at the cars you named they are SCCA cars or lower class cars of a similar discipline. Rfactor 2 is suppose to have some supergt cars. The point is these games are to teach you what real racing is or at least get you into a feel that you are simulating a real race. I'm sure down the road they may try to get japanese and or european race cars but right now since they're small and American they're just doing what they can and maxing out the localization.

It's the the old adage of comparing the two different fruits. And there's a reason why you're paying subscription to play one while the other one you can play even if you're not connected (to the internet).

Personally, I can live with the fact that these two games (and yes, iRacing for all its intent and purposes is still a game or at best a racing sim but still far from being a full blown simulator- that belongs to rFactor Pro and a slew of engineers' collected datas) are different enough. Sure PD could learn a thing or two from iRacing when it comes to online racing and it will probably happen one day especially if Sony decides to follow the same road as Microsoft and start charging for online/multiplayer gaming.

For me GT has always been about cars- racing is not quite its MO. Now excuse me while I go and drive (and not race) my car in GT5.

Great post WedgeX, I joined iRacing last May and I love it. GT5 was a lot of fun, I got level 40 in both A and B Spec, got all the cars. Online was fun when I met the right people to race with. When they were not racing it was a crap shoot to find good folks to race with.

I have all the Sim bin racers and F1 2011 for the PC and rFactor and Ferrari Virtual Academy, C.A.R.S., Dirt 1,2,3. Forza 1,2,3,4 for the Xbox and console titles going back to the 80's and 90's. iRacing stands above all of them IMO. GT5 is fun but it ain't no iRacing:)

i like the car selection in GT5 MUCH better, iRacing seems heavily focused on domestics aside from Mazda, and most of the cars are downright boring (solstice, legends, street stock, mustang, etc) would be nice to see more Japanese representation (LFA, GT-R, NSX, S2000, RX7/8, Supra etc). I really like the consequences of iRacing though, people drive with a bit more caution, and for the most part make clean passes, although last week i passed someone for 1st with 8 laps to go only to get rear-ended into the following turn (suffered damage and finished 8th)

GT5 might have hundreds of cars, but they all share many of the same handling characteristics. The thing about iRacing is that each car handles so much differently so you really do get a truly unique experience with each car.

As far as price goes, I think it's quite a good bargain if you do it right. People always quote the price for buying everything, which I would imagine is probably approaching $1k. But I don't want ANY oval cars or tracks, and I don't even want half of the road race cars. I spend a good 3 or 4 months with each car anyways. Just look out for deals, like the 1yr for $49 deal they have going for Black Friday, you also earn $40 yearly just by entering races. So for this year, I will essentially pay $9 for my subscription.

Don't get me wrong I love GT5, but the OP is right, it could learn so much from iRacing, I would gladly pay a few bucks a month for a much better online system.

every car in GT5 feels different to me (premiums that is) it's very noticeable on tracks like the Ring, etc. whether they're accurate is a different story, probably not.

They all feel somewhat different, you are correct, but the little subtleties are what's missing from GT5's lineup, but that is understandable as they can't spend hundreds of hours on each car. I mean look at the new iRacing Lotus 49. They are going to spend well over a year just developing that one car, which ensures an accurate and unique driving experience.

Car choice is obviously where iRacing can't compete with 'video games' with the likes of GT5 and even Forza4.... since the focus is strictly competition and not car collecting as is a big aspect of those games ....

but since the important thing is choosing which car(s) you want to compete with and not to collect, tune and drive/test every car known to man, its a lot different

I don't think the Car lineup in iRacing is bad though.... I honestly don't think anyone should really be buying All the cars in iRacing because nobody is going to enjoy them all equally much less have time to compete in 15 different racing series ...... ....right now I've narrowed my focus to about 3 series ... the Mustang, Skip Barber and a little nascar truck racing ... none of them can be driven the same way and the road-feel is very unique between all 3.

I think in terms of multiplayer, GT5 should implement Safety Rating and Licenses - makes everyone more cautious about their actions.

Online Lobby
Ranked - With SF and License (work your way up the ladder)
UnRanked - No SF and License (just for funsees)

...and as for the incentives of aforementioned: permanent hosted Online Championships/Tournaments/Leagues like iRacing? Where you need to have a certain License and Safety Rating to join.

With a once a year GT Academy Series? Should be a better way to search for a potential real-life race driver since you race with other people, not just hot-lapping all the time.

Well, pretty much everything iRacing does, Polyphony should follow. At least in the multiplayer aspect of it.

I am completely in agreement with you guys. I'm sold on iRacing though. They really are doing it right, so I'm gonna get set-up to play it in the new year :D

I also see huge potential in GT5. It has great physics, amazing graphics, superb attention to detail, great tracks. It is, however, flawed in all the ways you've described.

I'm done 'believing' in GT and it's potential. I've wasted a lot of time searching for good racing there, and it's hard work finding it. Perhaps I will buy a PS4 one day if they fix the mountain of things they need to fix, but I'm not gonna hold my breath for that.

I have taken some time to read most of the posts in here including the OP, and wow, is iRacing really that much superior compared to GT5? I saw iRacing before and I knew right from the first minute I saw it that it blows GT5 out of the water. However, once I learned of all the fees that come with it, the requirements to run it, it just put me off. The PC I own can run it(i think), it just isnt in a good place to put a wheel. The desk will break if I put my G25 there. :D

Now, I haven't bothered to get a new desk or move the PC to a wheel-friendly place because of all the trouble I have to go through to set up iRacing(fees, requirements, tweak the wheel) whereas the PS3 is just plug and play basically. Is it really worth all the trouble? Is iRacing really THAT much superior? Its a lot of money for it, specially if you plan to play it for years and own most or all the content. After a year, I could purchase another PS3. :lol: I have considered many times just forget GT5 and move on to PC sims but there is always something that stops me from doing such thing.

I have a lot of fun with GT5, but I dont think its enough. I want to learn as well, and GT5 doesnt provide that, unless the physics engine gets a huge overhaul, starting with a proper tire model. Basically, how much would I have to invest to get started with iRacing? And how much work do I have to go through with it?

Yes Nepalli it really is that good. You can minimize your spending by planing where you would like to race. For the first month or two you don't need to spend anything since all the content required is included with your subscription. This is an excellent time to join in with the black Friday special wich is a full year for 50 bucks.
Plus you should set up your PC anyways, rFactor2 is right arround the corner!

Gotta convince the parents to allow me to take the PC from them to get some iRacing, which I dont think will be easy :lol:. Thanks for the tip Jav, will try my best to see if I can get started with it. 👍

If you don't try to play iRacing the same way you do GT5, it's really not THAT expensive. You can play the first three months with the special they have going for about $10. But if you are a content junky, and you buy every car and every track then you will spend some serious cash.

Personally I don't touch any of the oval racing content. In the 6 months I've been a member I've only bought two extra cars and three tracks for a total investment of about $100 including membership fees. I researched each car on the forums, and have only purchased the tracks I needed to run each series I participate in. Just by racing you can earn about a $40 credit each year towards member fees or new content. I race the Mazda Cup, the Skip Barber series, as well as the the Spec Racer Ford. As I feel my skills progress I will buy new cars, but you will be absolutely amazed how much fun you can have wwith only a few cars.

Some people (like me) have spent a decent amount of money on a big setup including full cockpit, expensive wheels/pedals, triple screens' and other peripherals. But I only do that because I feel that it increases my enjoyment level. Practice and patience will make you faster, not more expensive gear, I'm sure I get my ass kicked regularly by guying using old style wheels/pedals they they have attached to a desk while sitting in an office chair, so don't feel like you have to spend more money to be competitive.

Just don't try to rush through the game to get the faster cars, treat it sorta like real life, don't move on until you are consistently quick and SAFE while driving each car. I still go back and race the MX5 just as much as the other cars, it's fun!

Good luck!

Jav
Yes Nepalli it really is that good. You can minimize your spending by planing where you would like to race. For the first month or two you don't need to spend anything since all the content required is included with your subscription. This is an excellent time to join in with the black Friday special wich is a full year for 50 bucks.
Plus you should set up your PC anyways, rFactor2 is right arround the corner!

the 'black friday' promo ended, but iRacing has been running the $49/year special for new members since at least June which is when I signed up using this offer.

http://www.iracing.com/leagues/pricing.php

A great deal for new members!
👍

One thing I really love about iRacing that I haven't been able to quite get from any other game is the matching system. The iRating system works great for making sure you get into races with "mostly" people on your same level. Of course it's not perfect, but it works well enough to keep the competition fun and challenging 90% of the time.

I hope the next GT/Forza installments can come even close to the online system iRacing uses.

I just want to put a few lines in here to say that even though i haven't played a lot of iRacing, and not as much GT5 as i would have liked to do, i agree 100% that the sense of accomplishment and reward for racing in iRacing is the best I've ever felt in any game whatsoever.

GT5 feels like a silly game in comparison. Ive enjoyed GT5 but still the online feels simplistic and there is no continuity to it, no persistency.

If there came a console racer that featured a similar online system that iRacing uses, it would probably become the most popular console racer no matter if the actual driving was good or not.
People like to be rewarded, and to see their progress act out in an persistent online environment. And iRacing does this mostly to perfection.

I just want to put a few lines in here to say that even though i haven't played a lot of iRacing, and not as much GT5 as i would have liked to do, i agree 100% that the sense of accomplishment and reward for racing in iRacing is the best I've ever felt in any game whatsoever.

GT5 feels like a silly game in comparison. Ive enjoyed GT5 but still the online feels simplistic and there is no continuity to it, no persistency.

If there came a console racer that featured a similar online system that iRacing uses, it would probably become the most popular console racer no matter if the actual driving was good or not.
People like to be rewarded, and to see their progress act out in an persistent online environment. And iRacing does this mostly to perfection.

Well said. I would not call GT5 'silly' but I think I know what you mean.

What I have also noticed about the racing is the lack of penalty in GT5 for going off-track into the grass or kitty litter. It seems the car does not slow down at all. This keeps the racing in GT5 close, but not realistic since all areas are merely tarmac runoff areas. In iRacing if I get my car into the grass or kitty litter I definitely lose time so this makes me strive to keep it clean to stay on the track

Yeah iRacing just simply kills off everything else. The problem lies with other racing titles is the lack of a consistent online play experience. The only way you can get something similar is by playing in hosted sessions in GT5. But even still you are missing the huge grids which is truly amazing. Unfortunately this is something one has to experience for themselves.

But really it's a no-brainer. Watch TV races. Notice the huge grids at ALMS, Rolex, and just bout anything almost. To replicate that experience you're looking at PC right there atm.

I wish console racing titles would get dedicated servers and huge grids. Of course, for casual pickup races you'll have a miserable time getting wrecked by noobs. So you'll need iRacing's enforced Safety ratings, etc as well I'm afraid.

For now console games are wise to go with small grids due to the massive nobbery you can encounter online. But for hosted it would be awesome

Now rFactor can be serious fun and other PC sims though. My only qualm is having to d/l all the mods & maps it can be work getting on a server. And still you are missing the stats

iRacing puts it all together. It's years ahead of it's time.

I definately need to give it ago in the future just need to get a decent enough laptop maybe

I always read these kinds of comments when GT is being given a bit of a bashing, and to be fair you all kind of have grounds to do so. As a solitary competitor venturing out into the online world of children and arcade racers, it is down right impossible to stumble on a decent lobby. More often that not in any case.

The thing with GT though, is that it isnt a game focused on racing alone. Car enthusiasts love it for its vast amount of content with a single purchase. Car modifiers love it because they can take photos of their blinged creations. Arcade racers love it because it has numerous aids and really grippy tyres for flat out cut the corners racing.

iRacing is very focused on one thing. And it does it brilliantly. Just as GT does everything all at once to a ridiculously high standard.

Anyway.. my point was,. :lol: :rolleyes: That you guys are on one of the largest GT communities out there! If you are failing to find competitive and clean online racing the fault is your own. Check out the clubs and race event sections. There is a race series out there for ANY type of car, with restrictions and adjudicating to boot. My own club runs with all aids off, penalties off and damage to heavy. Any other settings I forget are set to give as realistic and experience as GT can give. AND,.. it may have taken a while to get right, but there is a registration process in place to weed out disrespectful racers too! We all drive with a zero contact policy and honestly, the racing couldnt be better. With the difference of advanced physics in iRacing I dont feel like I'm missing out at all.

So wether its my own club, or the countless other race series out there, dont write off GT as a simplistic online experience. Yes you can one click to find competetive lobbies in iRacing, for those of you with lazy bones :P But put a little effort in with GT and you cant go wrong :)

Just my two cents anyway. And I'm not singling you out soulless, its just yours was the most recent comment of this nature ;)

Dammit! Kind of tree'd by SBG! :ouch:

But even still you are missing the huge grids which is truly amazing. Unfortunately this is something one has to experience for themselves.

I agree with this definetely.

Although when you have 16 in a grid of tightly packed and courteous racers, I guess you wouldnt notice....

I dont ;)

WOW nice write up... but i play for fun.... even though i have plans on going IRACING.... i doubt i will give up GT5....

Nice writeup.

My thoughts on the class issue though were that GT5 should have a more in-depth tuning system and a more varied car list which would allow players to invent lifelike racing classes on their own. I had a massive class structure written up before GT5 even came out but I doubt I could find the post now since the "find all posts by [username]" link only finds your 100 most recent posts, and I was well on the other side of 500 when I wrote that. Basically the classes were Stock, Prepared, Touring, probably something I can't remeber the name of, and Unlimited, with increasing levels of modification permitted. The only modifications allowed in Stock would be better oil, engine balancing (and other modifications that aren't technically modifications), and a roll cage. Also, the cars would have to run on street legal tires.

Prepared would be a "daily driver" class of sorts, allowing a tuned ECU, intake/exhaust upgrades, moderate weight reduction, small aero upgrades, racing seats, and aftermarket wheels (with a tire size limit). The car would have to retain its rear seat (if it had one), catalytic converter (though a less restrictive converter could be used), muffler (though upgrades would again be permitted), stock cams, heads, pistons, rods, crank, etc. The transmission would have to be stock, although a shift-quickening device could be used. Street-legal tires would again be required, but with no restrictions on tread life or pattern beyond that.

Touring would allow more weight reduction/parts removal and mildly modified internals. Removal of the converter and/or muffler could also possibly be permitted. Aftermarket transmissions could be used, but ratio restrictions could be put in place. Full-on racing tires would be allowed from this level upwards.

The nameless class (it can't share its first letter with any of the others, because that could require a longer abbreviation to avoid confusion) would allow specifications similar to those of an LMGT car, but based on a road car instead of bought from the dealership in racing spec.

Unlimited is just what it says: no restrictions on engine or aero modifications, so you can go whole hog and tune the car to the very limits of its chassis and engine capabilities. Nitrous, if included in GT6 or whatever, would not be off limits here.

To retain fairness, the cars would be further split according to displacement (or outright performance in the less-modified classes) and market segment (so a Mustang and a Focus RS would never be competing against each other, for example). Distinctions based on age could also be used to give older cars viable Stock and Prepared class options.

Such a structure would hopefully allow fair racing while avoiding the monotony of every car being/looking the same.

I always read these kinds of comments when GT is being given a bit of a bashing, and to be fair you all kind of have grounds to do so. As a solitary competitor venturing out into the online world of children and arcade racers, it is down right impossible to stumble on a decent lobby. More often that not in any case.

The thing with GT though, is that it isnt a game focused on racing alone. Car enthusiasts love it for its vast amount of content with a single purchase. Car modifiers love it because they can take photos of their blinged creations. Arcade racers love it because it has numerous aids and really grippy tyres for flat out cut the corners racing.

iRacing is very focused on one thing. And it does it brilliantly. Just as GT does everything all at once to a ridiculously high standard.

Anyway.. my point was,. :lol: :rolleyes: That you guys are on one of the largest GT communities out there! If you are failing to find competitive and clean online racing the fault is your own. Check out the clubs and race event sections. There is a race series out there for ANY type of car, with restrictions and adjudicating to boot. My own club runs with all aids off, penalties off and damage to heavy. Any other settings I forget are set to give as realistic and experience as GT can give. AND,.. it may have taken a while to get right, but there is a registration process in place to weed out disrespectful racers too! We all drive with a zero contact policy and honestly, the racing couldnt be better. With the difference of advanced physics in iRacing I dont feel like I'm missing out at all.

So wether its my own club, or the countless other race series out there, dont write off GT as a simplistic online experience. Yes you can one click to find competetive lobbies in iRacing, for those of you with lazy bones :P But put a little effort in with GT and you cant go wrong :)

Just my two cents anyway. And I'm not singling you out soulless, its just yours was the most recent comment of this nature ;)

Although when you have 16 in a grid of tightly packed and courteous racers, I guess you wouldnt notice....

I dont ;)

No problem man, you said nothing to be insulted by and more then that i appreciate good replies no matter what :)

I understand your point, i really do, but my main point was not just finding clean racers to race with but more to be rewarded by doing a clean/good race. And maybe even more important (as others mentions aswell) to be punished for racing badly.

I know there are leagues and series to be joined, but there should really be some kind of leagye/cup/series system within the game. Where you could see your progress, good or bad, and how it/you evolve.
Where i know that if i do badly or race ugly it will show and it will punish me.

To be honest, i dont demand much in form of persistency to keep me happy for a long time, time trials WRC-style with points accumulating until the chamionship is over and a winner is crowned would keep my mouth shut and my playseat unfolded for a long time. Add multicar multiplayer races in championships aswell and id be searching out and deliver five across the eyes to whoever badmouths GT5 ever again.

So there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that if i just want clean racing i will find lads to race with on these forums! But thats not the issue for me, but the (lack of) persistency and the feeling that all racing that GT5 can offer is single oneshot events without risk or reward. I can either just restart until i win (SP) or find another room (MP).

I know GT5 will never become this thing i wished for, but discussions is all good, and iRacing (tho a bit on the extreme side) proves that clean competitions can be forced by fairly simple means.

Yeah finding a few dudes to race with isnt very hard. But racing on a full grid with 30+ is just pure joygasms. Laser scanned tracks adds so much depth too cause it forces you to really learn the course and every bump. I really don't want to settle for anything less I am so spoiled. The console games do have a few features here & there tho that makes it worth checking them out on an extremely casual basis. for instance I play GT5 only when new content comes out then its back to iRacing :)

Relax, Cap'n Rohh and do not take anything so personal. What I wanted in GT5 is excellent game physics and online racing. iRacing is better than GT5 in both of these so that is why I stopped playing the latter.

I cannot speak for others, but I have said this many times here that I am too busy with real-life, hobbies, work, family, etc. to partake in regular/scheduled events in clubs and leagues for online racing. If you have the time to be in a GT5-focused racing league then GFY! :)

Unfortunately, I only have time for pickup racing and online pickup racing is the best in iRacing. I had more clean pickup races in iRacing in my first month of iRacing than in 5 years of all of my other racing games combined!

If GT5 still floats your boat then go for it and keep playing the game.
:)

I dont ;)

sandboxgod
Yeah finding a few dudes to race with isnt very hard. But racing on a full grid with 30+ is just pure joygasms. Laser scanned tracks adds so much depth too cause it forces you to really learn the course and every bump. I really don't want to settle for anything less I am so spoiled. The console games do have a few features here & there tho that makes it worth checking them out on an extremely casual basis. for instance I play GT5 only when new content comes out then its back to iRacing :)

I feel the same. Those 60 car mixed class fields in the last 13th week events were awesome. Pure joy and craziness.

I think my biggest drawback with gt5 is that its not a full fledged racing sim. Its made for the masses so that many can enjoy it. That alone is probably its greatest feature. Unfortunately for me, I wanted more and that can only be iRacing(some simbin titles too). iRacing makes no bones about it, it is a flat out racing sim and not trying to cater to all. This is what makes iRacing so intriguing to me. There's a reason gt5 has sold 7 mil plus and iRacing is a scant 30,000 members in comparison. OK, some of that is most likely due to cost factor(maybe alot), but some is also due to the time and effort needed to become competitive in iRacing. In which, Iracing's greatest feature(for me at least), is the satisfaction and feeling of achievement that I get from iRacing. I know technically iRacing is a game, but I don't consider it nor play it like a game. It really truly is something to try out if you have that racer's mentality inside or wanting to challenge your abilities in the world of sim racing. In my short time in iRacing(6 months), I've had the chance to go door to door with some dwc drivers(the best of iRacing), Matt Martin(Mark Martin's son), and about a month ago was is some practice sessions with Scott Speed(very good in the silverado and a great guy to chat with). It's really neat to occasionally stumble across some of guys you see on TV racing for a living and virtually race them in iRacing.

I tried some gt5 leagues here on GTP and while they are good fun, the drafting ruined it for me. I think its been tweaked(don't know, haven't played it that much lately), but I got really frustrated with it. Its really hard to pull away in gt5 only running a few tenths faster than your competition. A few tenths faster consistently in Iracing means 2 or 3 seconds ahead after a couple handfuls of laps later. In gt5 your struggling to stay in front or even get passed to be slowed down till you pass back. Then might get passed again. To pass then be passed. Aaaargh!:lol:

Another thing iRacing has done nicely is have a diverse lineup of cars. Gt5 also has a fair mix of cars and trucks, but they all feel kind of(for lack if better terms) bland or basic. More or less I can drive the same in any car in gt5, but iRacing requires some very different techniques to get the car around the track competitively.

Meh, enough with my mumbo jumbo. Neither sim is right nor wrong, just different crowds with different expectations of what a sim is in their eyes. I know I leaned heavily on iRacing in this write-up, but it fits me better than gt5. You really can't go wrong with gt5 if you're looking for alot of content and a casual experience for a rather small amount of money. It is true iRacing can become pricey, but it is well worth the money. That money is not being sat on either. It is continuing to being put back into sim with more cars, tracks, and features.

Last edited:
Great post OP. I haven't played Iracing yet but it totally reminds me of Grand Prix Legends, incidently produced by the same creator. The buzz of winning a race must be on the same level as a drug high. The learning curve is huge but the rewards are way more than worth it. It becomes an addiction.

In fairness GT5 is just a simulator at the other end of the spectrum of realism compered to iRacing and shouldn't really be compered. I wouldn't have compered GPL to anything else because of this.

Back