Everything GT5 could learn from iRacing

• Thread starter WedgeX
  • 106 comments
SR has nothing to do with your splits. He needs to raise his iRating. iRating determines splitting.

Not directly, but indirectly in rookie classes. People with lower splits tend to be slower in the rookie classes and more prone to going off track, crashing out, etc.
:)

edit - this was mentioined in the iracing forum, but I cannot find the data graph. Oh, and I should mention that iirc the guy said it is a correlation in the rookie class, not a cause-and-effect which would require more in-depth studies (if anyone cares to provide funding I am available! :) )

Last edited:
I'm always put into the lower splits due to my low iRating (hovers around 1200-1250 these days) but these guys are super clean. I race with the Europeans mostly on Sundays at 8pm Central time... A lot of us have pretty good SR but our iRating just happens to be low

However, when I get put in races with the higher splits my car is in grave danger. Guys with high iRating tend to be super competitive and will smash anyone that gets in their way. If they lose a little iR no big deal cause they have tons to spare! :scared:

I would have to go with gt5. Iracing does alot of things great. Cars feel great as do the tracks. The points and safety rating is nice, but there is no just pick up the game and race. What and when you can race is very limited. The most disappointing thing in iracing for me is the clean racing. I havent had one race where Ive not been booted off the track or pushed into a wall or hit by someone coming back on track sideways. Ive only had one race where I didnt have to pit for repairs. Iracing isnt any cleaner than a gt5 room that says clean drivers only. I went from rookie to class d only, but still its not as clean as I was lead to beleave. If your looking for good offical racing with points iracing is your game. If your looking for clean racing stick with what your playing and race your friends. Iracing isnt any cleaner racing than other games. The first corner is still a nightmare. I was told start from the pits to avoid the accidents and it does help, but who the hell wants to start a race from the pits. Im here to race. If your joining iracing for cleaner racing you probably wont find it. Just my 1 month take on iracing.

I am always skeptical when people say they get ran off the road every race. No way should your luck be that bad. I've only started from the pits once myself but that was for other's safety (not mine) when I didnt practice the track at all.

Last edited:
I wish the iRacing interface was more usable. I just logged back in after a year+ hiatus, and i forgot how 1990's the website is. :yuck:

I wish the iRacing interface was more usable. I just logged back in after a year+ hiatus, and i forgot how 1990's the website is. :yuck:

their needs to be a complete overhaul of how to select your series. that is my only gripe.

it would be much better if the drop down was like this

class a
BLAH
BLAH
BLAH
class b
BLAH
BLAH

etc. etc.

I kind of wish the ui was ingame "sometimes"

Seems like they have to take down the web server at times. They could have an optional ingame simple ui you can use to pick the desired track and car so the sim can still be played

Last edited:
Not directly, but indirectly in rookie classes. People with lower splits tend to be slower in the rookie classes and more prone to going off track, crashing out, etc.
:)

edit - this was mentioined in the iracing forum, but I cannot find the data graph. Oh, and I should mention that iirc the guy said it is a correlation in the rookie class, not a cause-and-effect which would require more in-depth studies (if anyone cares to provide funding I am available! :) )

Of course there's a correlation.

It's nigh impossible for a rookie to have a high iRating, because if they were winning that much they wouldn't be rookies any more. It's almost impossible to consistently win races AND consistently lose SR at the rookie level unless you take every available opportunity to sideswipe people and pick up off-track incidents. And people who would do that would never have gotten fast in the first place.

On the other hand, if you've gotten out of rookie you've been playing long enough to possibly build up your iRating if you're good.

So we see that rookies are stuck with iRatings below about 1700 because of logic. Non-rookies can be anything. Therefore, you will see a higher proportion of rookies in the lower splits.

It's nigh impossible for a rookie to have a high iRating, because if they were winning that much they wouldn't be rookies any more. It's almost impossible to consistently win races AND consistently lose SR at the rookie level unless you take every available opportunity to sideswipe people and pick up off-track incidents. And people who would do that would never have gotten fast in the first place.

On the other hand, if you've gotten out of rookie you've been playing long enough to possibly build up your iRating if you're good.

So we see that rookies are stuck with iRatings below about 1700 because of logic. Non-rookies can be anything. Therefore, you will see a higher proportion of rookies in the lower splits.

Watch out for the outliers! :)
I have encountered many lads who stay in rookie class and rookie license and only run the Mazda Cup. these guys are good clean and very fast pilots. I have two that I put on my "study" list because that are fast and always get on the podium but they are reckless and get 10+ incidents! I know because I have been taken out by them on their way to finish line. shameful.
:cool:

I could have have had a high iRating and stayed in rookie. But I might be banned.

Last edited:
What if you could choose only one. What would it be, GT5 or Iracing?

I would only choose GT5 if It was a contest of OFFLINE play... clearly offline with no internet connection ... playing by yourself I guess... I would easily choose GT5... its a much better single player game than Multiplayer

but for racing online with other people - GT5 isn't even in the same ball park as iRacing ... but if by some miracle Sony saw the light and released GT5 on PC...added dedicated servers, fixed all unrealistic crashes and damage, added a race ranking system, ...got rid of all the hand holding and let you drive in the pits etc....and about a couple dozen other changes.....etc etc etc....

I vote that we get Kaz an annual subscription to iRacing so he can understand the brilliance of the stats and points systems.

With that being said I love the whole GT series, but iRacing is all I've used in the past few weeks. I've been going to GT5 to goof off and put wheels on standard cars usually after a hot race in iRacing. I have trouble sleeping after any serious sim race, I need time to chill out. :)

The two sims/games are 100% different, but I love them both. Since starting the Mustang Championship iRacing has been awesome. It's my first championship, and I'm having a blast with it.

Cheers! :)

Yes. I do like being able to see my stats and where I rank.
I guess i t would cost them too much of there precious money to have TB's worth of storage for all that data.

Yes. I do like being able to see my stats and where I rank.
I guess i t would cost them too much of there precious money to have TB's worth of storage for all that data.

Precious money? They are a company trying to earn money to increase the wealth of their shareholders. Economics 101.

I joined iRacing and I am never looking back to GT5 haha. There probably not doing there shareholders any favors because many like me who have been eyeing iRacing decided enough is enough and to see what is going on here in iRacing.

This issue is just like anything else in life, if you pay attention to it the worse it seems to get.

if you purposely crash your car then your outlining the damage and it's going to bug you.

yeah there's many problems with Gran Turismo 5 but if you just forget about them then you will enjoy the many positive's about the game.

I vote that we get Kaz an annual subscription to iRacing so he can understand the brilliance of the stats and points systems.
Cheers! :)

Hahaha !

yea I think we should, Kaz is a proud man and I'm sure works very very hard to make GT the best it can be ... I also really appreciate how PD is listening to the fans wishes more and more everyday

but I have felt since my first few races in iRacing that GT5 is lacking in 1 area ...and that's racing and competition. (beyond just seasonal events)

I just ran 2 amazing races in iRacing in the last few weeks... one was 2.4 hours of Daytona (a road course race) .. the other was the Daytona 500 ...both of them were the among the best mulitplayer experiences I've ever had one after the other .... last Saturday 1600 people raced the iRacing Daytona 500 simultaneously in different races in splits of 40+ cars ... in my Race there was virtually No lag and 42 cars and the race lasted almost 4 hours long.

by contrast GT5's 24 Hour Nurbergring race only allowed what 26 people? .... what about the other 4 million players??? and the video streams were almost unwatchable .... the iRacing World Championship streams are Live events with cometary and the stream is 720p with a solid frame rate

It is really sad because I love Gran Turismo, and it is what introduced me to sim racing, but there is no turning back once you go to Iracing. I mostly only focus on the Inracing News Challenge, and the Mazda cup, and now I am starting to run in the top split for the mazda cup and the competition is amazing.

The force feedback is leaps and bounds above Gran Turismo, or any other game in my opinion. The one complaint I have about Iracing is that it is a bit oval-centric coming from the makers of nascar 2k3. There are so many beautiful classic tracks that need to be in iracing. I'm glad they have recently got spa because it is lovely and one of my favorite tracks.

Back