Exactly How Many Cars Will Forza 5 Have? All 670 Of Forza 4+120 new?

• Thread starter Macrinus
  • 112 comments
Still sticking with Forza. It's a good quality list of cars, and while tracks will most likely be DLC I can live with that.

Can't wait to get behind the wheel of the Atom V8.

First Forza game I wont be buying at launch.

Same here. I was at the door of the game store at opening on release day for every Forza title through FM4 (Blowrizon doesn't count..lol). Even after the debacle that was AWD Motorsport 3...err I mean FM3. Won't be there for this one and I doubt I'll even bother once the price comes down. To me, it seems they've fully adopted the EA playbook as to how to squeeze every single possible penny out of the army of lemmings ready to throw money at them with no questions asked. Meaning the game isn't about being the best game it can be anymore, it's all about providing a platform that will drive DLC sales and microtransactions. 200 cars/14 tracks doesn't surprise me in the least. Why put more cars/tracks on the disk when they fully know the lemmings will lap them up in DLC and get on forums and defend them from any who might question the practice. Plus all that space on the disk that was used on silly stuff like you know cars and tracks in a racing game can now be devoted to what's important...making sure the chrome on the tailpipe in autovista is shiny enough.

As of today I'm still interested in this game provided they actually release DLC tracks and integrate them into the single player career. It's an expensive option but it's this or nothing for me this gen so far.

I guess I'm just another lemming but if it were only about value for money I'd be sticking with GT6 and current-gen. It's not though.

As of today I'm still interested in this game provided they actually release DLC tracks and integrate them into the single player career. It's an expensive option but it's this or nothing for me this gen so far.

I guess I'm just another lemming but if it were only about value for money I'd be sticking with GT6 and current-gen. It's not though.

But if your purchase of any consumer product isn't about value for your money, then what is it about?

I believe brand loyalty is at the heart of most of the problems with the industry today. Games get released with devs fully knowing there's glitches in the game that only get fixed if the developer somehow feels they have to (more $$$). But they can get away with that practice because they know people are going to just take it and keep buying. Same with the declining content that release games are seeing, coupled with massive day one DLC downloads, season passes and gameplay that revolves around fake online economies that encourage purchases of coins just so casual players can drive some of the more in game credit expensive cars. But they can get away with this because again, they know people are just going to buy and not question anything. I actually read a post on another site yesterday talking about how real fans would never miss FM5 and this is their chance to show their true loyalty to the "brand". That attitude right there is what's killing gaming.

I do know it can be hard to break away from that loyalty. Until the release of FM3, I was one of those glossy-eyed fanboys that thought Forza and T10 were the greatest things to ever grace the world of gaming. I spent countless hours in debates with GT fans about which game was better. Then reality slapped me in the face and I realized how silly that attitude was. Now I'm only concerned with value for my money. If value is delivered then I'll be there with bells on to make my purchase. If value is not there, the developer can go kick rocks as far as I'm concerned.

To be honest, its not about "loyalty" to me as I am not partial to any single game company or that said company's DLC. Its all about if I'm going to enjoy it, then I will purchase it. That goes for any game on any console selling anything that I find interesting. I will draw a line a certain point if I do find that its to pricey for me(usually which isnt the case with these $5-10 dollar DLC's, in my case anyways.)

Just like if I want certain extra's on my sandwich, some of which my cost a 50 cents extra, then I'm fine with that. I ordered a chicken sub, but that bacon looks tempting, so Ima pay extra to get it, just because I know I'm going to enjoy it. I only drink water, so I'll be turning down that soda when they bug me 15 times about it.

That, or other people have different preferences/priorities.

Am I disappointed in the track/car list? Absolutely. However, it's not going to stop me from getting the game. I've been continually impressed by the Forza series, and I truly enjoy playing it. To me, the pros still far outweigh the cons.

That, or other people have different preferences/priorities.

Am I disappointed in the track/car list? Absolutely. However, it's not going to stop me from getting the game. I've been continually impressed by the Forza series, and I truly enjoy playing it. To me, the pros still far outweigh the cons.
This, this and more this. I am disappointed in the lack of cars, tracks, weather, night, support for my CSR, lack of triple monitor support (probable!)? Absolutely. Am I am going to let that spoil what should otherwise be a fantastic game that gives me months of fun? Absolutely not.

I barely use 30% of the cars in FM4 anyway and it will be fun mastering all the new tracks and physics at the same framerate i'm used to. Forza 2/3/4 are hands down the best games i've played yet. It keeps me coming back for more.

200 is plenty enough to be a good game, especially with a list thats quality from top to bottom.

Well "quality" cars in racing games will always and forever be subjective. Forza 4 Car models looked good, some really good that I would not have mind if they ported them or to FM 5. $60 is too much for a rushed DLC cash grab racing game.

Case in point, another subjective view.

Of course it is when it evolves my money. Lots of people will buy this game. I do not have and will not ever get Xbox live again. I'd only be buying a % of the game for full price. To short change the offline aspect of the game is very harsh "for me".

Of course it is when it evolves my money. Lots of people will buy this game. I do not have and will not ever get Xbox live again. I'd only be buying a % of the game for full price. To short change the offline aspect of the game is very harsh "for me".
Well put. Too many people try to hold everyone else to their own standards.

I barely use 30% of the cars in FM4 anyway and it will be fun mastering all the new tracks and physics at the same framerate i'm used to. Forza 2/3/4 are hands down the best games i've played yet. It keeps me coming back for more.
Same here, I don't collect virtual cars. I have always been able to find my small stable of cars from the Forza car pool. Quality tracks are another thing, more the better but so far the release will suffice. Forza has been been my favorite racer for some time, I must have 5, no question.

If they had just threw the old FM tracks in without any visual upgrade and still used the wrong S2000 model et al, I could understand this ill-feeling. But T10 have chosen to give you a smaller quantity to make sure the quality befits next-gen. I'm sure you'd be moaning more if they had just left stuff last-gen.

So...Dan Greenwalt responded to Jalopnik's report on the car count by saying that the game has more cars and tracks than Forza 2. Yeah. Good argument, Dan.

What was PD's explanation of why GT3 had less cars than GT2? Something like "Well, it wasn't intended to be a new game and it's on a new engine that we built from the ground up and we didn't have time to model all 600+ cars in GT2." Yeah. That's a better explanation. "IT's a new system and engine and we wanted to get the game out and we didn't have time to model all the cars ;cause we wanted everything to look pretty."

"It's got more stuff than a game two iterations ago," doesn't really work.

So...Dan Greenwalt responded to Jalopnik's report on the car count by saying that the game has more cars and tracks than Forza 2. Yeah. Good argument, Dan.

What was PD's explanation of why GT3 had less cars than GT2? Something like "Well, it wasn't intended to be a new game and it's on a new engine that we built from the ground up and we didn't have time to model all 600+ cars in GT2." Yeah. That's a better explanation. "IT's a new system and engine and we wanted to get the game out and we didn't have time to model all the cars ;cause we wanted everything to look pretty."

You're kind of twisting it a bit, FM2 didn't have interiors or the poly count that FM5 will have and it came out 6 months after Xbox 360, FM5 is in it's 3rd year according to that article and it's a launch title, 200 fully modelled ultra detailed cars and 16 laser scanned track in 3 years is a damn good achievement, how long did it take PD to release an unfinished GT5?

Oops, in your attempt to flame bait, you seemed to have missed the part where Dan said pretty much the same thing. Actually, it was a better explanation than PD's "we didn't have time".

Here's the link in case you were wondering. It really wasn't hard to find at all.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...sport-5-has-less-cars-and-tracks-than-forza-4

"Some of the tracks needed updating," said Greenawalt. "Some of them needed light updating, and some of them needed heavy updating. Silverstone, for example, was a complete recapture. Several of our tracks were just plain wrong, either because they were poorly captured and technology's moved on, or the track's changed like Silverstone.

"We're looking at laser scanning of everything moving forward - that's what it comes down to," Greenawalt said of Turn 10's approach. "We want that to be the standard for next-generation. Our goal's not to carry old content over - and even with all the cars, we did the same process. There were some inaccuracies, and some cars were old-spec that we'd updated from Forza 2 to 3 to 4. But they didn't have the poly count where we wanted it - and they weren't as easy to up-res, so we just recaptured them. Some of them, the spec was good and we could add polygons where we needed them. So it came down to this rating system - and any track or car that wasn't an A grade got either chucked or recaptured."

I think Dan may have stopped short of what would have been a more satisfactory response for some of us, something like this, we are not done yet (hope not anyway) and we expect Forza 5 to have blank amount of cars and tracks by the time we have finished releasing that SIXTY CARS of dlc.

Well, at least this proves you're a consistent selective reader. For a while, I was worried it only applied to this site.

Yes, he did say that they valued quality over quantity first. Be he still said it had more stuff than Forza 2. It's not really selective...Well...it is, but it still doesn't make any sense to say "Yeah, we just want the game to look good, and on that note, It does look better and have more things in it than Forza 2. Which was launch-window title for the 360." Isn't that kinda like Porsche saying "Yes, the new 911 uses new materials and things and what's even more impressive that this one was built this year, and is thus, newer than the 2010 model."

And Slipz, you HAVE GOT to stop reading my posts as if I'm serious. Serioulsy, if something I post seems selective, I'm usually trying to be silly and point out silliness. Like the above paragraph. I really don't care what you think about my posts at all, and all you really make me do, is explain the butt of my satire...which is boring. No one wants to read me going on about how Forza 5 looks really good, and they were actually going for quality. Likewise, no one needs me to say that Gran Turismo's standards look awful 'cause we have you to do that for us.

Seriously, though, I blame Jalopnik and I do understand why they don't have a full car list. It's fine, it looks great. However, I will probably wait until the complete edition comes out so I don't have to spend $500 on a bazillion cars and tracks. I can entertain myself just fine with GT6 and others until then.

VXR
...T10 have chosen to give you a smaller quantity to make sure the quality befits next-gen. I'm sure you'd be moaning more if they had just left stuff last-gen.
Well, there's two different crowds. One group believes everything should be as super-mega-HD and beautiful as possible, and would moan if they carried over last-gen assets. The other group (including me) believes super-mega-HD graphics are overrated and would rather see more cars/tracks from FM4 because most of the assets in that game were plenty good enough already, and more stuff = longer lasting gameplay.

The only way T10 could have pleased everyone as many people as possible would be if they had gotten FM4's entire car and track roster up to FM5-spec, plus more.

VXR
But T10 have chosen to give you a smaller quantity to make sure the quality befits next-gen. I'm sure you'd be moaning more if they had just left stuff last-gen.

That depends entirely on which last gen stuff they left in. The worse-than-GT5's C4 Corvette and NSX? Yeah, they'd stick out just as badly as the Standard cars did in GT5; and the benefits for dumping them to start from scratch are obvious.

The Ferrari 312P? The Mercedes 300 SEL? No, not so much.

Well, there's two different crowds. One group believes everything should be as super-mega-HD and beautiful as possible, and would moan if they carried over last-gen assets. The other group (including me) believes super-mega-HD graphics are overrated and would rather see more cars/tracks from FM4 because most of the assets in that game were plenty good enough already, and more stuff = longer lasting gameplay.

The only way T10 could have pleased everyone as many people as possible would be if they had gotten FM4's entire car and track roster up to FM5-spec, plus more.

I wonder if these 2 groups = same crowds for standards/premium for GT6.
PD chooses to port/update and add new assets, T10 is choosing to start anew, nothing ported over, everything new and 'premium'.

I appreciate both approaches.

The divide between Forza 4 and Forza 5 cars wouldn't be nearly as large as the one between GT5's standards and premiums, especially not if Turn 10 only ported the higher quality of the models. I personally like that they chose to cut anything that was below the line they were aiming for because I'm more than happy with 200 cars with this kind of detail at launch. But it's not comparable to the standards/premiums of GT5, so I can completely understand people disagreeing.

You're kind of twisting it a bit, FM2 didn't have interiors or the poly count that FM5 will have and it came out 6 months after Xbox 360, FM5 is in it's 3rd year according to that article and it's a launch title, 200 fully modelled ultra detailed cars and 16 laser scanned track in 3 years is a damn good achievement, how long did it take PD to release an unfinished GT5?

Yea, FM2 didn't have interiors and the poly count wasn't as high, but amazingly, those cars still got around the track. Sad that racing games have been so taken over by the graphics people that it's ALL anyone cares about anymore.

And I don't know about this place. But in my reading at the official site I had to laugh at the people defending the 200 cars, some even saying they prefer it.....knowing full well that in 6 months the same defenders will have that list of 200 wittled down to a couple dozen cars that are acceptable to race online. The rest will be hated LB cars that will get you automatically kicked from the lobby.

But funny that goof compared FM5 to FM2 content. Should have compared the game itself, most racers (not graphics people, or painters, or pokecar collectors or blind fanboys) will tell you FM2 was the pinnacle of the Forza series and it's been a downhill slide since then. I'm half expecting a future forza to just dump racing all together. Since it's clear that's something they care zero for.

...most racers (not graphics people, or painters, or pokecar collectors or blind fanboys) will tell you FM2 was the pinnacle of the Forza series...
Is it really that black and white for you? There can't be people that just enjoy the game and have liked what it's progressed to?

I didn't enjoy FM2 much, solely for its physics. Everything else about it was great and I enjoyed customizing and fiddling with cars in the garage, but driving them wasn't fun. FM4 easily provides the most realistic and enjoyable driving experience of the series thus far.

In any case, I agree with @TRC GeorgiaDawg that FM5 appears to be a case of graphics > gameplay. Which is only to be expected of a launch title on a system touting beefed-up graphical power, but it's still unfortunate. It's also ironic that they decided the better models from FM4 weren't up to snuff, considering their explanation for focusing on orange peel and other tiny imperfections was that the cars in FM4 were "too perfect." :rolleyes:

Yea, FM2 didn't have interiors and the poly count wasn't as high, but amazingly, those cars still got around the track. Sad that racing games have been so taken over by the graphics people that it's ALL anyone cares about anymore.
+1 Graphics should always be secondary. Sure, it's nice to have good graphics, but that doesn't inherently make a game better. The gameplay and design do that.

And I don't know about this place. But in my reading at the official site I had to laugh at the people defending the 200 cars, some even saying they prefer it.....knowing full well that in 6 months the same defenders will have that list of 200 wittled down to a couple dozen cars that are acceptable to race online. The rest will be hated LB cars that will get you automatically kicked from the lobby.
Which is like....every other Forza ever. I barely ever race in open lobbies, but when I do I always see about the same 8 cars in a given class. Not the LB car, but the 5-8 other cars that are 99% as good. The other 75-150 cars that you can build in that class hardly see the light of day. So how exactly is this really any different? It's been this way since there's been online racing; people use the best cars. The LBs have made it so people don't use the absolute best car, but they use the next best thing. You don't see people giving it an honest go in A class in say, a Country Squire very often in FM4 do you?

But funny that goof compared FM5 to FM2 content. Should have compared the game itself, most racers (not graphics people, or painters, or pokecar collectors or blind fanboys) will tell you FM2 was the pinnacle of the Forza series and it's been a downhill slide since then. I'm half expecting a future forza to just dump racing all together. Since it's clear that's something they care zero for.
So, first of all, you have at least two terrible fallacies here (no true scotsman & argumentum ad populum) which really makes it hard for me to take this statement seriously. Add on the ridiculous hyperbole at the end and it really detracts from your message. Having said that, I am very curious as to why you feel that way, and would be interested in hearing your reasoning.

I consider myself a very serious racer. I could care less about car collecting, and while painting is cool and a nice feature, I could live without it. For me, the fun is in having a close, clean race with a good competitive group of people. That's a big part of why I don't play open lobbies; there's no racing there, just bash-to-pass and hotlapping once you're ahead. That said, while I think that FM2 was a great game, saying it was the pinnacle of racing in the Forza series is a bit of a stretch for me.

It can be easy to look back with rose tinted specs, and I know I'm guilty of that at times too. FM2 had a lot of problems: Terribly unrealistic setups that made cars super easy to drive, woeful PI balancing (which led to a LB wipe at one point), Bullet cars (which were fun but point back to the balance issues), bad class separation, bad collision physics, only 8 player online, bad/nonexistent multiclass options... That's not to say it didn't have its high points too, the track list in FM2 was pretty good even though there were only 12 environments (less than FM5 will have) before DLC, and it did have a great car list at the time, plus it had the ability to tune in race lobbies.

The biggest problems for me in FM2 was the terrible PI scale and the unrealistic setups. The cars that were good in every class (if you didn't drive bullets) were stupidly easy to drive quickly, and the unigear setup was not only waaaay too good (the fact that it worked at all on low-power cars was an issue in itself) but it made driving boring. Generally, I feel like FM4 has a much better racing experience: the drivetrains are more balanced (even if AWD is a bit poor it can still be competitive), the collision physics are better, the setups are more realistic, the track list is bigger, the multiclass options are very good (could be better) and the PI balancing, while still not great, is miles better than in previous iterations of the game.

As I said though, I would be very interested to hear your reasoning behind saying that FM2 was the high point, because you're the first person I've heard say that.

Considering Forza has already nailed decent driving physics, what else should they go for in the first release on a new generation console? Porting over everything from FM4 would have been so simple, but T10 didn't want to do that. They wanted to give you something visually impressive to make you feel like it was £430 well spent.

But if your purchase of any consumer product isn't about value for your money, then what is it about?
I didn't say it wasn't about value for money. I said it wasn't my primary concern. I'd rather have less cars but ones I can actually drive than the everything but the kitchen sink model in other games coupled with a driving model I just don't get on with. And I'm prepared to put up with DLC if the overall experience is as enjoyable as the one I've had with Forza.

That's not blind fanboy loyalty. That's simply knowing what you like.

Back