EXCLUSIVE GT5:P Spec II - NINTH update (NEW DFGT Wheel Hands-On, April 18)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 2,456 comments
Nice review of the DFGT, amar! 👍

I loved that you compared it with the DFP and G25.

I am definitely purchasing a G25, but I want a second wheel for 2 player battles (LAN, etc...) and another "type" of wheel seemed like a good idea so people can use what is most comfortable for them. Looks like the second wheel will be the DFGT.

Thanks again.

;)

@amar,thanks for the update for the DFGT!!...am going to buy this wheel and am now for the full 100% confinced thanks to your review:tup:👍
my dfp is now dead and i can only race with a "lifeless" wheel:ill:

i have a strong feeling though that ,when gt5 finally comes out,a new g25 wheel(or major update)will be released with hopefully a more resistant, and less plastic sounding(click clack:yuck:)gear changer....

do you have any info on this??...:)

i am still waiting on the best wheel ever...and this DFGT will do fine untill g25 will get pefect:sly:

spyrrari

good stuff man... ill be picking up the new US version in a few weeks after i get home from iraq.

i have had the JP version since August no stop play man.

Nice review of the new wheel. I saw the wheel available for purchase when I picked up my US copy at Gamestop on April 17th. Looked real nice, but I already have too many wheels.

I was tempted...I would like to compare.
Thanks for your review.

Those zany Dutch.

Not a bad interview, albeit not much info about GT5 was garnered. Yet, it was interesting to hear Omega Boost 2 may be in the future, as well as Kaz wanting to do an RPG. May not ever happen, but it's something fun to think about, for sure.

;)

need to buy this wheel as soon as it comes out!!(my old dfp is quitting on me bit by bit..)
does anyone reading this and lives in holland/amsterdam knows when this wheel is coming out here and where to buy it??
called some shops and getting no's for answers...!!
spyrrari.

Hey guys, I don't know if these have been posted before but have a look at these screens. They are from the Spainish Grand Prix and show GT5P spec II. You can see the Ferrari F2007 with the barcode instead of all red that they have now. Also you can see Kimi and Felipe modelled in one of the screens.

They compare a full game with an extended "demo":indiff:

Even if GT5:P is only a demo, I doubt we'd see any of the effects they detailed, like the weather for instance. Check out the effects at 2:48, GT5 needs that kind of stuff, will we see it though?

GT5:P to me just feels like a higher resolution/higher fidelity GT4, there is nothing really ground breaking in the game. Don't get me wrong, the cars and the tracks look great (and the game plays like a dream), but I expect that. I've not seen anything new that has not existed in a previous incarnation of the series though, and nothing has got me wetting myself with anticipation. I want GT5 as much as the next guy, but I'm a little more sedate about it now that I've played GT5:P.

Also, a demo is a demonstration of something that will appear at some point in the future. GT5:P demonstrates that there is some new content, but also that it will probably be business as usual in respect to its features. GT4:P wasn't THAT different to GT4, so why would GT5:P be that much different to GT5?

GT5P has passed 2million unit sales according to an SCE press release!

The seventh installment of the world’s best-selling racing franchise, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue introduces entirely new entertainment modes by taking advantage of the broadband network, such as online head-to head racing for up to 16 players, “GRAN TURISMO-TV”; a new in-game online channel that delivers automotive video contents from around the globe, and downloadable additional contents including new cars and courses, only possible on PS3. Gran Turismo 5 Prologue has recorded strong sales since the first launch in Japan in December, 2007, followed by North America and Europe in Spring of 2008, with more than 2 million units of cumulative shipment worldwide and contributing to the further expansion of the PS3 platform.

The release also states that the Gran Turismo series as a whole has now passed 50 million unit sales!

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4556&NewsAreaID=2

Congratulations to PD for producing what can only be described as a truly legendary driving franchise!

Nice review Amar, here are some of the findings I got when I did my review.

------------------------------------

Wheel is the same size as G25, with the same "thin" grip - moulded to give better grip than DFP. Wheel is moulded from quality-plastic (rubber), while I had a feel that base is not metal (as in G25), but also made of plastic. However, when driving, you have a better feel than with DFP due to better plastic used. Plastic "flappers" are the same as on DFP, with two big buttons on the rear side of the wheel.

The 11" diameter wheel is specificlly picked by PD. The TPE durometer formulation on the DFGT was change from DFP.

Wheelbase is exactly the same as in DFP - I have a feeling they've even used the same mould. Side gearstick is also the same and works the same. However, since it was well done in DFP, it's also good on DFGT.

The steering unit casing is identical to DFP, except for some material changes like the 2 screw down knob.

Pedals are almost the same as on DFP, while brake-pedal gives slightly better resistance.....

Pedals are identical with the DFP except for the major fact that the potentiometer is changed from DFP.

PS button is also there, but it only does basic function of "PS menu".

Now works with XMB since 2.41

As for steering feel, it's better than DFP, but not as good as G25's. However, that's understandable, because this DFGT is evolution of DFP - not made to compete with superb G25's built.

IMO, it had more to do with G25's dual motor vs the single motor in DFGT and DFP.

Force feedback strength is something that needs to be explained. DFP users could say that FF is not as strong as on DFP, but one have to take into consideration that overall FF effect was also pretty much changed from GT4 game. DFGT's force feedback is good, precise and very informative. You get the same "level" of information as you get with G25, and steering is very fast and smooth. However, since the wheel is not made of metal, overall FF feel is somewhat weaker than on G25 - but adjusting FF-effect in option solves the problem.

DFP users should notice that even G25 does not provide extreme amount of FF effect that DFP has - but the reason is different technology and FF software used in GT5:P game.

IMO, the perception of the stronger FFB effect existed with the DFP are mostly due to the DFP's smaller 10" (9.75" measured) diameter steering than both the G25 and DFGT's 11" (10.75" measured). As in the case in real life steering strength (in a conventional steering assembly), a smaller wheel always equals to a stronger steering feel, since [Torque = Force x Distance]. In addition the perception of the DFP wheel "feels" quicker is also due to the smaller diameter steering.

---------------------------------

You can read my full review HERE.

Back