exigeracer's Car Photography (Spring '10 opener)

• Thread starter exigeracer
  • 278 comments
And damn you for letting the Gallardo go, hahaha! post them anyway, lets see them.

Fiiiiiine, you convinced me :P I go to school in that weird building up in the air!

801.jpg

And seriously people, when they say don't try this at home, they really mean it. As fun as it is, a ding on that car is not something you want. I bump taxis all of the time, but when you're chasing 200,000$ cars, you can't mess up. It gets tight:

701.jpg

Last edited:
Porsche 911 GT3

I was running down to our stock room, where I get a view of the parking garage for the hospital. It costs a fortune to park there, so I'm more than surprised that in my 9 months of going down to the garage almost daily, the only nice cars that have ever been there are a modest Maserati Gran Turismo and this GT3 today. I ran back up to grab my camera and took some shots. Most frames were shooting at almost a second shutter speed, so almost all of the photos are soft as hell. They were very very orangy, so the car got lost in the white pillar and other background elements. I thought to do black and white, but then in post-production I noticed the presence of a few fluorescent lightbulbs amongst the regular incandescent lightsources so I tried playing with the colour bias to get a clearer separation between the two different types of light. Sure enough, pulling a ton of yellow out and adding green really worked well. You can clearly see the play between the two! Talk about learning experience! If anyone's in a parking garage, look for this, as it really helps the colours pop in an otherwise stock parking garage shoot.

I've been working on frontal shots. I don't know if this worked out or not, but I like the division of light and dark so I'm going to put it out there...

202-8.jpg

203-9.jpg

The ceiling also helped out, with all of the pipes and insulation :)

204-8.jpg

206-6.jpg

205-6.jpg

Last two are my favorites. Thanks for swinging by again!

All of those are really nice, I have to say I love the second to last one, the angle is perfect for that car. The colour balance in the pictures seem to be perfect, then again I don't particularly know much about my own colour balance! Great shots, check out my gallery if you have time!

Tripod'ed? Im just wondering how half a second is possible with f3.5 at iso100.

Or maybe the parking garage was brighter than i thought

Tripod'ed? Im just wondering how half a second is possible with f3.5 at iso100.

Or maybe the parking garage was brighter than i thought

Handheld and I bracketed like 15 frames at each angle in hopes of one being sharp enough. The original sizes are pretty bad, but when scaled down to 800x600 they are acceptable. Pretty dark garage too.

All of those are really nice, I have to say I love the second to last one, the angle is perfect for that car. The colour balance in the pictures seem to be perfect, then again I don't particularly know much about my own colour balance! Great shots, check out my gallery if you have time!

Second to last for me too 👍

Handheld and I bracketed like 15 frames at each angle in hopes of one being sharp enough. The original sizes are pretty bad, but when scaled down to 800x600 they are acceptable. Pretty dark garage too.

handheld? naaaaaaaah!!!! very VERY good for handheld, I could not do that with 1/50, my pulse is horrendous.

composition on most is pretty dang good, the one where the ceiling shows the most is the best for me, and the second to last... the white balance is good, you really cant get rid of those weird colours under that light conditions but they turned out pretty well; get some filters dude, some of them are pretty cheap and do their work.

handheld? naaaaaaaah!!!! very VERY good for handheld, I could not do that with 1/50, my pulse is horrendous.

composition on most is pretty dang good, the one where the ceiling shows the most is the best for me, and the second to last... the white balance is good, you really cant get rid of those weird colours under that light conditions but they turned out pretty well; get some filters dude, some of them are pretty cheap and do their work.

Yeps! In order the speeds are 1/2, 1/4, 1/6, 1/2 and 1/2, all handheld except the frontal shot which was set on the floor.

Filter-wise, I'll take a look next time I'm at the shop, there's a big bin full of filters for super cheap. They're the prostitutes of photography - cheap and you have no idea where they've been, but I'll see what I can find.

Thanks for the props! I also posted some work on another car photography forum, where hopefully I'll get grilled 'cause you guys are too kind!

Yeps! In order the speeds are 1/2, 1/4, 1/6, 1/2 and 1/2, all handheld except the frontal shot which was set on the floor.

Filter-wise, I'll take a look next time I'm at the shop, there's a big bin full of filters for super cheap. They're the prostitutes of photography - cheap and you have no idea where they've been, but I'll see what I can find.

Thanks for the props! I also posted some work on another car photography forum, where hopefully I'll get grilled 'cause you guys are too kind!

maybe, but trust me you've shot some really good stuff in the little while I've been here again.

Dude, what's the other car photo forum you're talking about? I want to post my stuff in other spaces too. Shoot me a PM with some good places you may know, because I've been wanting to investigate a little but I've seriously lacked time.

Dude, what's the other car photo forum you're talking about? I want to post my stuff in other spaces too. Shoot me a PM with some good places you may know, because I've been wanting to investigate a little but I've seriously lacked time.

Yeah could you do the same for me Exige? I keep looking for more photography forums but can't find any decent ones as a lack of replies here tempts me to look else where for more in-depth comments.

Cheers.

Yeah could you do the same for me Exige? I keep looking for more photography forums but can't find any decent ones as a lack of replies here tempts me to look else where for more in-depth comments.

Cheers.

hahaha, heck, just post them here.

www.automotivephoto.net is where I put my stuff up. It's a really professional level, they're very harsh and succinct. Speedster, you'd be better off posting more here, they would probably discard you pretty quick there. You've only put up two sets, it's hard to give you feedback when we can't see if you're improving or trying new things with the commentary that's given to you. That other one is also way less active than here...

www.automotivephoto.net is where I put my stuff up. It's a really professional level, they're very harsh and succinct. Speedster, you'd be better off posting more here, they would probably discard you pretty quick there. You've only put up two sets, it's hard to give you feedback when we can't see if you're improving or trying new things with the commentary that's given to you. That other one is also way less active than here...

haha, snat, they are really hardcore over there, some of the aficionados look like pros!!! awesome place, thanks (:

hahaha, heck, just post them here.

I'll probably end up doing that anyway.

Speedster, you'd be better off posting more here, they would probably discard you pretty quick there. You've only put up two sets, it's hard to give you feedback when we can't see if you're improving or trying new things with the commentary that's given to you. That other one is also way less active than here...

Okay, I'll steer clear for now then. I just want to try and find somewhere where people can give tips on how to improve my general photography and help me develop my knowledge of my camera and of what every button does and adjusts. It's something which I need to know but lack the knowledge to figure it out.

I'm fine with you saying that I'd be better posting stuff here, I hope I moved on a bit from those original photos I posted up some half a year ago coming up with excuses about leveling etc.

Anyway, I'll stop stealing your thread now. :dopey:

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I haven't had time to get out and shoot. I did get out on the road for a couple hours today but my copy of Adobe Lightroom expired the other day so you'll have to wait until I get m full CS3 bundle to get any processing done some time next week. I'll check to see if anything I shot today can just be resized and posted, but I doubt it. I wasn't feeling anything in person, so I doubt I'll like any of it on-screen. I did get a 996 Turbo, FD3S, an old Aston Martin V8, C6 Corvette and NSX. But like I said, I don't know which ones will work out.

Just as I found that CPL, I lost it! I think I may have knocked it off on the road, but one day it was on m lens and the next it's not. I just moved too, so I know I didn't see it in my old place, nor my new one. Meh, I'm thinking of going down to the photography store tomorrow and make some impulsive purchases though...

Okay, so some of it turned out alright but I will need to take work on them a little in PS. Sneak Peek:

301-7.jpg

302-6.jpg

Last edited:
pic of the aston is good altough the old adage read here: more space in front of the car than in the rear. get it postprodded dude. And post the other cars at least in the spot DYSAGT thread.

pic of the aston is good altough the old adage read here: more space in front of the car than in the rear. get it postprodded dude. And post the other cars at least in the spot DYSAGT thread.

There was a car infront of the Aston that I refused to include :P

As you can imagine, I end up with a lot of these:

303-4.jpg

You should have somebody take a picture of you trying to take pictures of these cars on your bike. Isn't it dangerous?

I was just thinking of that. Rush hour in downtown Toronto looks risky enough on a bicycle, but taking kickass pics while on a bicycle seems dangerous. Be careful out there and keep up the sweet pics!

I still haven't been hit or crashed, but I definitely know when I need to be watching the road and when I can give a little attention to shooting cars. I wouldn't be pulling frames if I knew it would be putting myself, my camera or others in any sort of elevated risk over normal bicycling (which is already fairly dangerous).

I've had plenty of close calls though. Yesterday after grabbing the Corvette was the second-closest yet, when a cabbie came a split second from dooring me. At any harmful speed, it doesn't matter if you're 100% focused, watching moving traffic or blindfolded, if the driver's not looking and steps out, you're getting doored. Closest time was an idiot in a Caddy turning right coming up to a set of lights from the left lane. I had just fixed my mushy brakes 10 minutes earlier. If I hadn't, I'd have absolutely sailed into him.

Last edited:
hahahaha the adventures of bikecameraman... gosh, its already dangerous trying to shoot car-to-car! the golf looked nice.

and if there was a car... a closer picture of the Aston?

hahahaha the adventures of bikecameraman... gosh, its already dangerous trying to shoot car-to-car! the golf looked nice.

and if there was a car... a closer picture of the Aston?

Waaaaaaaiiiiiit for the whole set, y'all are so impatient!

I'm gonna have to hold you off and throw you a rolling R8 shot I was saving for next week. If that's what it takes!

101-32.jpg

what it takes is you posting it all in one blow then going out and take more and more.

(:

we need shots like that but with a 69 Charger

Last edited:
Bike's got a broken axel, so I've been laying off riding her too hard.

School starts Monday, bike gets fixed Tuesday, new computer gets in Thursday.

Car is originally yellow

a110.jpg

I like the straight up Ferrari Rosso in this shot, and the exposure captured it perfectly too.

a108.jpg

Classic lines right here. I think the Z8 will go down in history with the likes of E-Type and Corvette. I took 'er easy in the post-pro to give it justice.

a106.jpg

Caught this rarer car. I don't know if it's the aura of the ultracar or the actual photography that I like about this number.

a105.jpg

a104.jpg

Exposure bang on here. I finally felt why low light is perfect for shooting cars. Check those neutral reflection tones! I'm very very happy with this shot.

a102.jpg

Classic British muscle.

502-3.jpg

a111.jpg

I'd love to remove the crap around the car, because the rest of the shot looks alright. I tried, got bored, then sloppy, so I ruined it. I'll just post the orig.

a128.jpg

a119.jpg

Elise shots from a dealer flyby.

a115.jpg

And one of my favorites from the whole summer...

a118.jpg

Awesome work once again, mate.
Loving the aperture on the Z8 and the last Elise shots, and the exposure on the 1st Maser and the 2nd 722 shot.

I have way more than half of your shots saved on my pc, so it's safe to say I like them. :D
Wish I had the chance to see great cars like that...

Back