exigeracer's Car Photography (Spring '10 opener)

• Thread starter exigeracer
  • 278 comments
why, at last I can see these.

My favorite is the lone Elise with houses in the Bg, but nothing beats the 722 shot from above, the reflections on the hood, got damn dude, you really have an eye for that kinda stuff, you're pretty image-sensitive!!

The old Aston is cool, but I think the shot of the Maserti bellow is a little yellow?

The top down SLR 722 and the three pictures of the two Lotus are some of the best automotive photography I've seen in a really long time 👍!

I'll go with the others and say that you're delivering some marvelous work here 👍

The composition is excellent (too bad about that ugly dog-like thing behind the SLR), lots of colours, everything just seems to come together. Especially in that Aston shot, now there's a great shot right there man! 👍

On that, what lenses do you use? Some of 'em seem a bit wide angle, you're not using a KIT lens are you? (Whatever it is you're using, excellent stuff 👍)

Thanks again guys.

I'm using my stock lens. 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 and I'm hurting. I'm never getting the depth I need and in the evening it just doesn't quite cut it. I won't complain too much, as it still takes photos, but I think I'm going to have to upgrade in the spring, when I have a little extra cash.

I'm looking at getting a 10-20 ultrawide, 50 f/1.4 or a 200 f/2.8. All would be great with automotive photography, but I'm leaning towards the 50mm as it's a good all-rounder for non-car picture-taking too.

My first shoot ever? Maybe technically as it was the first time I had control over the car. Too bad I didn't have control over anything else. The sun was high and harsh, the car was black and dirty, I was hungover (well, I guess I could've had a little control over that) and the two of us had to get going to cook a turkey.

This is our driveway, being dreary-eyed and not quite knowing what I was doing, I forgot that my camera was on ISO1600 from the night before where I was taking party photos. These could've been decent on ISO100, but I think that the shadows were just too much for this particular shot. Perhaps with a lens that could pull better than f/5.6 at 70mm I could've gotten some isolation. I don't think I should've bothered with this one at all.

104-21.jpg

105-17.jpg

Moving on, I had some real throwaways because of the ISO1600. Luckily I caught it with about 15 minutes left and I could snag at least a couple a short drive away. As you can see, I had to get some serious recovery going on to flatten the levels a little. Very strong sunlight. The fully-zoomed out one is my favorite, the most ambitious but I think it worked out the best.

103-30.jpg

102-34.jpg

101-37.jpg

There is something about the shots that is bugging me. I think it might be the overall colours... but it could just be the car itself... i think the first one had some great potential, i like the whole looking through the bushes feel it has but the car is just a little too dark (which can't really be helped). 3rd shot is good but if you where of gotten just a little closer to the floor it would have been ace.

Yeah, I checked the photos on some big iMacs and the colour on those monitors came out really puky in the Corrado shots. It's alright, my brother will probably drive that car into the ground so I'll get some more chances to shoot it some time soon.

--

It was super warm today, and it appears as if people haven't locked up their cars yet, despite the impeding winter (it snowed on Tuesday!). I was out for a walk and found this CL63, which are still rather rare in these parts. First couple are meat and potatoes, and then I decided to explore why I never liked overly tilted photographs. I didn't find out, but some of the photos came out fairly pleasant. Go figure.

102-35.jpg

101-38.jpg

104-22.jpg

103-31.jpg

105-18.jpg

The composition in the second last one is great. The sky is overexposed but still decent.

The last one is really :crazy: I guess the angle didnt make the CL look very good. The only bad angle of such a nice car.

I was going for the colours in the last one. I was up against the wall so I couldn't do much more with the composition. Any farther away and I think the car would've looked worse.

Thanks for the feedbackz though.

weirdo, I think if you would have pushed the composition more in the first one it may have looked better, alas for the two last ones, would have been better if taken a bit firther front and back.

I was going for the colours in the last one. .

I really love the colours with the green/yellow/red in the back. But i think the CL looks really ugly from that angle. Makes it look tall, narrow, and the lights look fat. Maybe its just me

Sooooo this was a perfect setup. Modernist house, post-war mobile out front, perfect fall colours, low sun, nice neutral paint colours. I could've been there for hours. Too bad the owner had somewhere to go (fellow in his late 20s, from the cool house, obviously). Any ID on the car? I'm thinking Olds, but what do I know. The house is a 1998 :P

Playing with long lens and wide lens

or-2-2.jpg

or-7.jpg

Sorry for the hit-and-miss post-pro. I'm in a rush and have a million things on my mind.

101-40.jpg

102-37.jpg

Not a bad set. The car looks wicked. I have a feeling the first shot would probably look pretty cool in b&w. In the last two the sky looks a little blown out but it's not too bad.

Sooooo this was a perfect setup. Modernist house, post-war mobile out front, perfect fall colours, low sun, nice neutral paint colours. I could've been there for hours. Too bad the owner had somewhere to go (fellow in his late 20s, from the cool house, obviously). Any ID on the car? I'm thinking Olds, but what do I know. The house is a 1998 :P

Playing with long lens and wide lens

or-2-2.jpg

or-7.jpg

Sorry for the hit-and-miss post-pro. I'm in a rush and have a million things on my mind.

101-40.jpg

102-37.jpg

Now lets comment on the photographic aspects where it belongs, as I already blew my mind in the DYSAGT thread.

For not having a damn of control over conditions, these are amazingly good, the wide angle shot worked better with the bulbous shape of the car, you should have tried that one from the rear too because even the background with houses is beautiful, I wouldn’t find a street like that over here in a million years, at least not nearby. If only you had a wider lens… I think this car in particular would respond amazingly well with a really wide one. Bulbous!!

I’m seeing them at the crap monitor in work but I’ll take another look @ home (I‘ll also be waiting for the spanking big ones), the last one seems a bit to dark here, but I’m sure it’s the screen. Awesome yellows everywhere, its really like you set up the entire scene.

Man, I’ll say it again, you have to take the guy’s word and get back to him, and convince him to make a photoshoot of his car in that exact same spot, you don’t even have to look for locations, just bring your tripod and you’re set; I tell you, the guy will like your work and you’ll have a hell of a time. Details, engine bay, we need everything about this car. And you’ll enjoy yourself a DAMN lot, because this car has endless details, believe me, you’ll spend at least four hours in static pics, convince him to do some car to car fun or some panning, and you’ll faint from pleasure. When you shoot a really interesting car the fun never wears out, and I’d be hard pressed to think about a more interesting car to shoot there than that. daily driver. Oh my.

So I did return today, no old car in sight. He must've been out.

Did catch an STi sitting pretty next to a building. I didn't want to move all the trash considering I'd be wasting time on just back-end shots, that concrete barrier ruined any front shots. They're pretty similar, yet somehow different. I like the portrait shot as well as the last one.

102-38.jpg

103-33.jpg

104-24.jpg

Here are some bigger Packard shots.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/Quiet-Noises/301-8.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/Quiet-Noises/302-7.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/Quiet-Noises/303-5.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/Quiet-Noises/304-5.jpg

Last one is the best one. Yellow garbage bag should have been removed though. And crop out the car to the right (rx8?)

return again and get his phone, then arrange a shoot at weekend. come on, you know you want to.

And I did not ask for BIGGER pictures, I asked for original size (: so GIVE MEEEEEEEEEEE

and indeed, the last picture of the Subaru is the best one. the environment really helps, I'd even shoot something there. pity on the trash bags.

nobody's tagged the Oldie yet?

the grille shape gives it away as a Packard. the top hump is packard's design signature. the split windsheild places it as prewar, as do the tacked on turn signals. the hood screams to me "super Eight", probably 80-90 HP

the composition of the pics leaves something to be desired, to me. that's personal opinion, of course. you wanted to include the house.

I DONT BELIEVE ALL THOSE EXOTICS EXIST IN TORONTO......

I NEVER SEE ONE WHY!?

Now im not afraid of buying an Elise, because it's too common in Toronto

But i live in 'Sauga :lol: and no one owns an Elise here, yet..:sly:

edit: Oh HEY that's Gentry Lane! the only dealershipin TOR that has any Lotus cars :drool:, i feel sorry for the people who live across from that place.. seeing them sexy cars so much that they've grown accustom to them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips folks. I hate to be pompous and not reveal my tricks, but this one I picked up on GTP's old photography thread. It's a fun little transformation, but you've gotta underexpose quite a bit to make it work.

Nobody buys Elises in Toronto. I see the same few fairly rarely. A silver one DDs to the financial district, FLYBYEU just upgraded to an SC, and then there's a Brit car guy (who also has a 7) which is the Chrome Orange car. I rarely ever see any other than that, not to mention never having seen an Exige here (there's quite the confession!).

Thanks for the props everyone. Keeps me going!

Thanks for the tips folks. I hate to be pompous and not reveal my tricks, but this one I picked up on GTP's old photography thread. It's a fun little transformation, but you've gotta underexpose quite a bit to make it work.

Haha that's cool. Having looked at it a little more, It actually reminds me of tait's shots a bit.

This is my new favourite (favorite) thread. Can never get tired of the photos in these pages... and I'm try very hard not to request any more photos than I already have... keep it up!

Oh I can do that anyway. :P

But yes, more shots like that. Just love shots that have a xprocessed/vintage look.

Back