Explore the World in Style With This Off-Road Bentley Continental GT

Well we already saw the Continental GT's off road prowess in the Top Gear episode where they went to Australia, and in the episode where they took it around a rally stage in Wales. So makes sense I guess!

- Spend 40-60K on getting used Bentley
- Put more $$$ into off-the-shelf modifications
- Spend more $$$ on labor for producing custom parts
- Then some extra $$$ for dress-up bits on custom bits
- Only get 40K out of the sale
incredulous.gif

This thing could've pulled some kind of profit or something (plenty of Russian/Chinese/whatever millionaires), but only 40K? That's a loss either way you look at it. Just get a Rover fully-loaded. :lol:

Cars from TV shows rarely make any money since most people know that these reality show cars can be a bit cobbled together. I mean would you want anything from Gas Monkey Garage when they build everything on a 5-day time frame and say dude every other word? Or something from the Diesel Brothers who build the shoddiest trucks in existence (shameful they're from Utah)?

@Joey D, my point was why put all that money into it, when less-expensive options exist in the first place?

The 'owner' wanted 'something', had it built, and probably realized my point, which would explain why it went to eBay instead of his garage.

- Spend 40-60K on getting used Bentley

I highly doubt he paid anywhere in that range for the car as a quick look on Autotrader shows 1 2004 Bentley Continental in the UK and they are only asking £27,000 with 48,000 miles on it.

- Put more $$$ into off-the-shelf modifications
- Spend more $$$ on labor for producing custom parts
- Then some extra $$$ for dress-up bits on custom bits
- Only get 40K out of the sale
View attachment 671958

Considering the modifications were done by a TV show, I doubt he paid for much if anything at all.

I highly doubt he paid anywhere in that range for the car as a quick look on Autotrader shows 1 2004 Bentley Continental in the UK and they are only asking £27,000 with 48,000 miles on it.

I just did a quick google-search for a price range on Autotrader earlier and I had a list of like 20, so my mistake for not doing it based on location, a quick currency-conversion however switches that earlier price-range to 30-45K GBP, so while mostly excessive on my part, it was still in the ballpark at the low-end.

Considering the modifications were done by a TV show, I doubt he paid for much if anything at all.

£25,000 is listed for modifications on the eBay listing, adding that to a estimated purchase-price of £27,000 gives a estimated total build cost of about £52,000 for whoever ultimately fronted the bill, not considering other miscellaneous fees.

With that in-mind, a sale price of £40,800 for a car that cost at least £52,000 based on various estimates, still leaves a loss of £11,200 - And that goes back to my original point, why spend the money when other options exist?, why take a loss?, etc.

£25,000 is listed for modifications on the eBay listing,

That's just the listed value, it doesn't mean that's what they actually paid.

And that goes back to my original point, why spend the money when other options exist?, why take a loss?, etc.

Because they wanted to?

Also, chances are whenever you build something with this much custom work you are going to take a loss no matter what it's based on.

That's just the listed value, it doesn't mean that's what they actually paid.

True, but I see two-sides to that, the actual price could be lower or higher - and as someone who's gone through the "joys" of building something (Project Racecar in my sig, severely out-dated), I'd wager it's higher as the 'little things' in a project can add up quickly.

Because they wanted to?

Also, chances are whenever you build something with this much custom work you are going to take a loss no matter what it's based on.

"More money than sense" then I suppose.

I do have an idea they could've pursued to raise it's value though, let TopGear have another crack at Bentley-ing their way across (insert country here) with it, and then after sell it as "The TopGear Bentley" rather than "Custom Off-Road Bentley", it'll have the Porsche/Ferrari-effect where mere words raise the value of something. :lol:

I'm waiting until i see one of these Bentley dune bashing along with the likes of Patrol's and Land Cruiser's over here.

Why i wouldn't be surprised if that happened?

Looks like this thing is appearing in the newest episode of The Grand Tour. I hope they don't try to convince the viewer that Clarkson built this, like the trailer suggests.

Back