F1 2017 Game General Discussion

United Kingdom
Southampton
RacingAtHome
Seeing as we've got this again, I think it's a good time to start a new thread. We'll probably have not much for a while but could be interesting this year.

Car List:
2017 (10)

2017 Haas F1 Ferrari VF-17
2017 Mclaren Honda MCL32
2017 Mercedes AMG Petronas W08
2017 Red Bull Racing Renault RB13
2017 Renault Sport F1 R.S.17
2017 Sahara Force India Mercedes VJM10
2017 Sauber-Ferrari C36
2017 Scuderia Ferrari SF70H
2017 Scuderia Toro Rosso-Renault STR12
2017 Williams Martini Racing Mercedes FW40

Classics (12)
2010 Red Bull RB6
2008 Mclaren MP4-23
2007 Ferrari F2007
2006 Renault R26
2004 Ferrari F2004
2002 Ferrari F2002
1998 Mclaren MP4-13
1995 Ferrari 415 T2
1992 Williams FW14B
1991 Mclaren MP4/6
1988 Mclaren MP4/4 Pre-Order Bonus

Track Additions

Bahrain Paddock Circuit
Silverstone International
COTA National
Suzuka National

Last edited:
Found this information on CM forums based on what has been said.

1) More detailed tracks?
Ben (a.k.a. Tiametmarduk) mentions multiple times that the track surfaces are more detailed in F1 2017. Russia is smooth as it should be as a rather-new track but tracks like Spain and Brazil have more bumps on them. This has been a big issue in earlier F1 games because tracks didn't have a characteristic feel to them. Tracks were smooth whether it was a new track or a old track which hasn't got a new surface in years. It would be a welcoming detail in F1 2017.

2) More mechanical failures
Ben talks that you can switch down the gears a lot faster than in F1 2016 (10:20 in the video). I was worried at this point but then Ben mentions that "there are methods in which it discourages you of doing that and I can't talk about those yet". Only thing that comes to my mind is mechanical failures. If any of you have other possible options, please mention them. And before anyone comments, yes, mechanical failures were there in F1 2016. Did they make a huge impact? Not so much.

3) Heavier force feedback
As the grip is higher and the cars are going more of the time full-throttle, this should be a thing and it seems like it is. Hard to go to detail but one of the things that I was missing in F1 2016 was that you couldn't always feel that you were losing the back-end which made driving more cautious.

4) Slipstream has been reduced
Yep, that's pretty much it. Really welcoming change because slipstream certainly was (and is) OP in F1 2016.

5) Assists vs. assists OFF have been mixed up
Codemasters themselves have mentioned that assists were too easy which generated a scenario where "decent" pad-players were too good compared to a player with a wheel. This has been redefined with making F1 2017. It will probably be a big topic in the beta later this year.

6) Tyre wear has more impact
You'll be struggling with oversteer more at the end of stints. I personally think this is a good change because as for my online league, fewer stops is most of the time the faster way. And that's mainly because the lap time doesn't change enough at the end of the stint. Hards are probably the best example because more often than not you could do your best lap time of the race in the last lap with 50-60% worn hard tyres.

I dont want to see massive changes as a lot of things they had spot on in 2016. Id just like to see more detail in the races,AI incidents etc.

One thing they do need to sort out is the objectives in career - i won the 3rd season in the Manor,then moved to Force India,had some decent results and was in the title race - but got sacked after Baku!!

It ruined my career and was totally unrealistic - my only available choice was to drive for bottom team Sauber - as the reigning chanpion.

Plus,after season 4 McLaren were fully developed again and wouldve been unbeatable in the following seasons.

I liked the aspect of the team development but it just needs to be tweaked.

I dont want to see massive changes as a lot of things they had spot on in 2016. Id just like to see more detail in the races,AI incidents etc.

One thing they do need to sort out is the objectives in career - i won the 3rd season in the Manor,then moved to Force India,had some decent results and was in the title race - but got sacked after Baku!!

It ruined my career and was totally unrealistic - my only available choice was to drive for bottom team Sauber - as the reigning chanpion.

Plus,after season 4 McLaren were fully developed again and wouldve been unbeatable in the following seasons.

I liked the aspect of the team development but it just needs to be tweaked.
I agree. When you get to your max, that is your max forever. That really turned me off career. I wanted to take Manor to the top then do it again with the smallest team again and again and again.

I agree. When you get to your max, that is your max forever. That really turned me off career. I wanted to take Manor to the top then do it again with the smallest team again and again and again.

I think give Codies credit for implementing the whole progression thing,it did work in some aspects,i enjoyed the practice pace tasks - but they just need to refine it more now. I agree if you keep winning with someone like Manor then your level should keep rising and not reach a 'max' - so you could overtake Mercedes and other teams can aswell.

In my career i did like the fact that in seasons 2 & 3 Ferrari and Red Bull were nowhere,they just developed very slowly - it gave teams such as Force India & McLaren places in the top 5 frequently. Its just that when Mercedes got near their max they were dominant - but thats like real life atm hehe!

In fact ive just started a new career in the Torro,see how the teams develop this time.

*checks date*
Not April Fools.

Just give us a car/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11 from the 2007/08 seasons. Those haven't appeared in a game officially at all. (Bar the F1.07 in rFactor)

I wasn't that interested in 2017 since I don't really like games with such limited car lists such as F1 but if they're going to include historic cars like in 2013 (my most played F1 game solely because of the 80's F1 cars) then I am definitely getting this on release.

Edit: Slightly annoyed the MP4/4 is a preorder bonus but at least they'll let us buy it separately after release.

Also, this tweet might be related.

Would be truly awesome if we got the support series as well. Would be absolutely epic if we ever got an F1 game with every support series that had you start in Formula 3 or even Formula Ford/Renault before progressing up to F1 and starting out with a team based on your earlier performances.

Would be truly awesome if we got the support series as well. Would be absolutely epic if we ever got an F1 game with every support series that had you start in Formula 3 or even Formula Ford/Renault before progressing up to F1 and starting out with a team based on your earlier performances.
I think they'd just leave it to the F1 Support races meaning the F2/GP3 series.

Sweet. Hopefully this time classic cars will be here to stay from year to year.

When the say "deeper career mode", I hope that means they've also beefed up the car development system, and it doesn't just refer to putting classic content invitationals into it.

Lee Mather
We’re also adding to the variety in F1 2017 with the inclusion of four alternative circuit layouts

Could be wrong but that wording suggests to me there won't be any new tracks, just older versions of existing-calendar tracks to fit in with the classic content. If so then Silverstone would be an obvious one, but not sure what the other 3 would be. Austria, Canada, Hungary?

Sweet. Hopefully this time classic cars will be here to stay from year to year.

When the say "deeper career mode", I hope that means they've also beefed up the car development system, and it doesn't just refer to putting classic content invitationals into it.

Could be wrong but that wording suggests to me there won't be any new tracks, just older versions of existing-calendar tracks to fit in with the classic content. If so then Silverstone would be an obvious one, but not sure what the other 3 would be. Austria, Canada, Hungary?
Silverstone, Barcelona(?), Spa(?), Monza(?), Monaco(?)

Found this on Reddit earlier, related to the game.

(In spoiler warning due to commenter's username)

All of the yes.

Just hope they don't mess up the classic f1 car sounds like 2013, but given codies' recent efforts I'd consider it unlikely

All of the yes.

Just hope they don't mess up the classic f1 car sounds like 2013, but given codies' recent efforts I'd consider it unlikely
Ever since Steve Hood left the series has been great.

Just pre ordered on steam.

Last edited:
Oooooh, was he one of THOSE devs?

Yes. And no.

To a certain degree I understand the attitude — constantly being berated over a product would eventually result in any one who takes pride in what they do to become defensive, perhaps overly so.

Here's where the 'Yes' comes in: understanding why the product was critiqued as it were and then seeing the way he responds to normal users just offering critiques because they genuinely appreciate the game, but are pointing out issues that have persisted since the first game under their direction.

It isn't a case of 'he should never talk to customers that way' because given the right circumstances I think that's absolutely ridiculous, however, given the way he did it results in what you're seeing now:

"Stephen Hood is gone."
"So? That's a great thing!"

Also, this tweet might be related.

Those Tweet tweats were an highlights video and digital magazine, don't think F2 will make it into the game this year. Can see it coming soon though with Liberty in charge and the FIA aiming to streamline the feeder series.

Back