F1 2018 General Discussion

• Thread starter khr1s
  • 344 comments
are the cars relatively equal with max upgrades? I’m still working on McLaren but this car always seems a tad ******** on the straights compared to everything else. I usually run medium - low df on most tracks too.

I have most of engine and drag upgrades.

I'm season 3 in the McLaren, And yes it's poor down the straights.....Work on aero upgrades to get it improved. I run most races with low wings to compensate, but it's tricky.

I'm season 3 in the McLaren, And yes it's poor down the straights.....Work on aero upgrades to get it improved. I run most races with low wings to compensate, but it's tricky.

Yes the McLaren is a fun drive for sure. I have to nail every corner to make up time or not lose it and use ERS HOTLAP and FUEL MIX RICH down the straights plus DRS to stay ahead. Even with all those three on I watch my mirrors nervously! I admit I always upgrade reliability and all the discount and quality control upgrades first while I am learning the car and tracks inside out and tweaking my setups. Then usually by season 3 I can start upgrading actual performance fast. .. At least when the rule change warnings start arriving I don't have to worry!

I'd just wait for the 2019 edition.
Thanks for your reply. I know that f1 2019 is behind the door, but having f1 2018 75% off, I was wondering if I can enjoy it while 2019 price decrease... Despite changes on graphics, I do not know if it worth about 50USD between both games - F1 2018: 20USD now, f1 2019 71USD.

Thanks for your reply. I know that f1 2019 is behind the door, but having f1 2018 75% off, I was wondering if I can enjoy it while 2019 price decrease... Despite changes on graphics, I do not know if it worth about 50USD between both games - F1 2018: 20USD now, f1 2019 71USD.
71 USD?

I paid like 42 USD for my pre-order, and that is legends edition too. :odd:

But thats for PC though. I know PS4 and Xbox One games are normally more expensive, at least at release. Still a huge gap.

So I'm super late to the party but I decided to pick up f1 2018 a few days ago. Saw it on the playstation store for $14 and just said why not try it. I know f1 2019 is out or about to come out but I'm no rush to have it. I'm not the biggest f1 to begin with. My motorsports go to is Nascar and IndyCar. So of course when I launch the game up and saw all the tutorial videos about DRS, ers energy or something like that, safety car rules and etc I was totally lost lol. I found a wheel setup (I got a t300gt) and once i got a good setup in I felt really comfortable. Here's the thing, the driving is not hard its just trying to digest all the information that's coming your way. Making sure you use DRS, tire compounds, trying to switch the fuel to rich, lean, or standard and all the other information. I'm familiar with mfd because games like gt sport and pcars2 has it but with f1 you are constantly messing with it. And I think that's the reason I don't have real good pace right now because I'm constantly looking and adjusting that. Once I get use to everything I'm definitely jumping into the career mode. It looks very immersive and I wish nascar games today can be like that but unfortunately it hasn't been like that since I'll say nascar total team control 2006 which is sad. But anyway the presentation looks incredible. I attempted three races and all three of them I sat through it. That shows how good it is. One last thing, I have yet to finish a race. DNF in all three lol. Just trying to find pace. I'll get the hang of it eventually though.

So I'm super late to the party but I decided to pick up f1 2018 a few days ago. Saw it on the playstation store for $14 and just said why not try it. I know f1 2019 is out or about to come out but I'm no rush to have it. I'm not the biggest f1 to begin with. My motorsports go to is Nascar and IndyCar. So of course when I launch the game up and saw all the tutorial videos about DRS, ers energy or something like that, safety car rules and etc I was totally lost lol. I found a wheel setup (I got a t300gt) and once i got a good setup in I felt really comfortable. Here's the thing, the driving is not hard its just trying to digest all the information that's coming your way. Making sure you use DRS, tire compounds, trying to switch the fuel to rich, lean, or standard and all the other information. I'm familiar with mfd because games like gt sport and pcars2 has it but with f1 you are constantly messing with it. And I think that's the reason I don't have real good pace right now because I'm constantly looking and adjusting that. Once I get use to everything I'm definitely jumping into the career mode. It looks very immersive and I wish nascar games today can be like that but unfortunately it hasn't been like that since I'll say nascar total team control 2006 which is sad. But anyway the presentation looks incredible. I attempted three races and all three of them I sat through it. That shows how good it is. One last thing, I have yet to finish a race. DNF in all three lol. Just trying to find pace. I'll get the hang of it eventually though.
Definitely a good buy! Well worth the money.

Hopefully you will give it some time to get the proper hang of it, because then you will really start to enjoy it. :cheers:

Dear friends, the last F1 game I played was the 2016 version on the X Box with a standard pad. My question is; how much better is the 2018 version over the 2016 version? Is it worth getting? It costs about £25 nowadays. Or should I just wait for the 2019 version? I am an occasional player, not hardcore or anything.
Thank you
MC

Dear friends, the last F1 game I played was the 2016 version on the X Box with a standard pad. My question is; how much better is the 2018 version over the 2016 version? Is it worth getting? It costs about £25 nowadays. Or should I just wait for the 2019 version? I am an occasional player, not hardcore or anything.
Thank you
MC
I'd wait the 3 or so days thats left (Legends Edt.) until the 2019 version.

From what i've seen, it'll be a worthy upgrade compared to the 2018 version, and most definitely a huge leap from 2016.

Bought f1 2018 back months ago on good discount, until then i had just messed around with the demo.

Finally tried the full game a little now, was pretty poor at default wheel settings, now really pretty good.

Good controls and good feel.
Looks good too, and nicest grass in a sim i ever saw hehe.
Lot to do in this, with many preset championships, challenges/events, career, custom races and championship, time trial.

One of my so many backlog good games. I could be set for the apocalypse with the backlog of games i have.
Just glad it works well on my wheel, the controller is ok but still can't compare with a wheel, being so sensitive and not much feel.
I know late on this but i dont mind at all, and mostly do singleplayer.

Edit: im trying the Brazil track, the surrounding track detail is pretty amazing, looks great and makes it look like they recreated a whole city block around the track almost. I just noticed it more on the replay in cockpit view and you can look around in replay.
Fun track too.

Sounds are pretty nice too.
Edit2: tried short Suzuka, really nicely made, with bumps you can feel well too.
Trying historic challenges, not so easy times to beat on hard, good challenge.

Edit3: I was wondering, the historic challenges list in the preset championships/events menu, are they the same that you will be given in the career?
I seem remember reading there's challenges like that when you do the career.

Cause if i do them in advance in the event list, I'll have spoiled the events in the career for myself then.
Edit4: oups i just noticed now in the menu it says at the bottom 'replay the career invitational events', oh well.. I wonder how it affects your career if you do them before the career itself. Maybe it ignores it and makes you do them still.

This game is a pleasure to play, really nice feel on a g29. Looks great with good dynamic lighting, shadows, detail, textures, on std ps4. Pleasant sounds.
Some nice options for custom races, championships.
It be nice if had slow speed on replays, unless i don't see how?
Also works well with the logitech shifter and clutch for historic f1 cars.

Cheers guys.

Last edited:
Bought f1 2018 back months ago on good discount, until then i had just messed around with the demo.

Finally tried the full game a little now, was pretty poor at default wheel settings, now really pretty good.

Good controls and good feel.
Looks good too, and nicest grass in a sim i ever saw hehe.
Lot to do in this, with many preset championships, challenges/events, career, custom races and championship, time trial.

One of my so many backlog good games. I could be set for the apocalypse with the backlog of games i have.
Just glad it works well on my wheel, the controller is ok but still can't compare with a wheel, being so sensitive and not much feel.
I know late on this but i dont mind at all, and mostly do singleplayer.

Edit: im trying the Brazil track, the surrounding track detail is pretty amazing, looks great and makes it look like they recreated a whole city block around the track almost. I just noticed it more on the replay in cockpit view and you can look around in replay.
Fun track too.

Sounds are pretty nice too.
Edit2: tried short Suzuka, really nicely made, with bumps you can feel well too.
Trying historic challenges, not so easy times to beat on hard, good challenge.

Edit3: I was wondering, the historic challenges list in the preset championships/events menu, are they the same that you will be given in the career?
I seem remember reading there's challenges like that when you do the career.

Cause if i do them in advance in the event list, I'll have spoiled the events in the career for myself then.
Edit4: oups i just noticed now in the menu it says at the bottom 'replay the career invitational events', oh well.. I wonder how it affects your career if you do them before the career itself. Maybe it ignores it and makes you do them still.

This game is a pleasure to play, really nice feel on a g29. Looks great with good dynamic lighting, shadows, detail, textures, on std ps4. Pleasant sounds.
Some nice options for custom races, championships.
It be nice if had slow speed on replays, unless i don't see how?
Also works well with the logitech shifter and clutch for historic f1 cars.

Cheers guys.

Really enjoy the F1 games for what they are. Yeah they aren’t meant to be a sim but in terms of content and fun factor they are really good. The only negative to F1 2018 over 2019 was the night races like Bahrain and Singapore. Something they greatly improved upon with 2019. In terms of content 2019 is great with everything 2018 had as well as two F2 championships as well. Excited to see what F1 2020 offers and what other improvements they might have made.

I was trying a race at the canadian track and dynamic weather, was cloudy dark day, was hard to see honestly where the track goes. But it did look nice and realistic.
Then it started to rain a little and it was undrivable almost, even with wet tires.
I was racing a McLaren 76.
Even at slow speeds, no grip.

Edit: well i just retried the same race with same conditions etc. Was ok, i don't know, maybe i had a bad day that time before.

I even stayed with slicks and was ok in the rain. It slowly lost grip over time while light rain, so that was good, it was pretty slippery at the worse of it for a little while but still manageable.

Also the track was a little hard to see but not as bad a little, maybe cause im trying now in the evening and no bright light from the window here. Also once you know the track, it's ok, it sure looks realistic and nice.

I like the track, and the game.

Cheers.

Oh is there a virtual mirror in this? I can't seem to find how to turn that on. I was using tv pod view.
Also weird they using fake names for racers, i thought it's an official f1 game lol, i don't know.

Edit2: did another race at same track, was sunny and bright this time. With same car, really fun. Maybe ai could be a little better, smoother.

Last edited:
Back