F1 2019 General Discussion Thread

I hear ya. I'm up to (embarrassed) 45 now. Probably could be 46 or 47, 48 on some tracks, but I want to win races too. I'm just up to 2nd on the development chart for Haas, so winning has been a little easier. I'm also in the stretch of tracks I'm better at soo....

Edit: I'm second in development to Racing Point by kind of a lot. Mercedes is struggling and Ferrari are bad midfielders this season.

I hear ya. I'm up to (embarrassed) 45 now. Probably could be 46 or 47, 48 on some tracks, but I want to win races too. I'm just up to 2nd on the development chart for Haas, so winning has been a little easier. I'm also in the stretch of tracks I'm better at soo....

Edit: I'm second in development to Racing Point by kind of a lot. Mercedes is struggling and Ferrari are bad midfielders this season.
I'm at 70 difficulty atm, we're about equal in development with the red bull, so I'd ideally like to tune the difficulty so I can easily hang with the Red Bulls on the more power-friendly tracks but might have more trouble catching them on the downforce tracks.

That said, my next upgrade projects to put the car level with the Mercedes. I haven't tried any other teams but Racing Point seem really strong in the career mode. It only took a couple upgrades to match the Red Bull on the chart.

It might help that Racing Point now has Vettel and Bottas for my 2nd season. Its me and Weber at Haas. Weird pairings at a few, HAM-GAS at Mercedes VER-LEC at Red Bull. Ferrari has Stroll and my boy K-Mag just got some points at Britain. They're bad, like 7th in constructors bad. Every other team is the same as they started, Butler in Hulks seat.

I should point out that I upped the difficulty after googling and finding setups to use for career mode. Not sure if I can say it here but I found another forum with a lot of good info. They had Haas setups for 17 of the 21 tracks, and I just used the Hungary setup for Britain (one of the missing) and it worked well. I know very little on my own to set up and tune, so it really helped me.

I should point out that I upped the difficulty after googling and finding setups to use for career mode. Not sure if I can say it here but I found another forum with a lot of good info. They had Haas setups for 17 of the 21 tracks, and I just used the Hungary setup for Britain (one of the missing) and it worked well. I know very little on my own to set up and tune, so it really helped me.
I'm still using the basic setups, haven't dipped my toes into that at all, though I made some tweaks to the low drag setup for Baku, I don't really know that it had much impact. Once I up the difficulty I'll probably need to go setup shopping but I'd prefer to use setups as a rough guide to make my own.

You could PM me a link to that forum, then you wouldn't be advertising here, however as quiet as the F1 section here is, a good setup thread would probably generate some interest.

Having the F2 cars available has made tuning the AI difficulty much easier in F1 2019. I used to spend the first few weeks trying races in a range of cars, hoping to get a range of results (should be able to win with a Mercedes, but shouldn't get podiums with a Renault, for example.

I joined McLaren for my career and they are now the top team in season 2. Leclerc and Norris swapped seats but largely the field doesn't look too dissimilar. Austria S1 was my first win (but I tend to run better than normal there) and by the end of S1, it was me Vs. Hamilton pretty much every race. In S2, I won the first 5 races and Leclerc stole the Monaco win due to my dodgy gearbox... It made me think I needed to up the difficulty (I think it is at 100 now). But lately I've been doing a 2019 F2 Championship and 100 is perfect for me, the racing is absolutely incredible! F2 is easily the best thing about F1 2019 ironically...

Been any better with setups? I've bumped my AI up to 52. Weber is gonna cost me the Constructors unless he steps it up in the last 3 races.

I really like having this Samsung CRG9 Monitor. Saves some space over triples, but still have a wide view to see my mirrors! The race itself was pretty uneventful for me. Just trying not to mess up in the wet.

Hi, new to the game, Yes indeed this the best codemaster F1 game so far, really underrated
I love the way the engine and the mechanical parts wears in the beginning of the season, the retro cars, the AI, clean, precise and agressive when you have find your correct setup
This will be the first F1 game where I will run a fun carrer and even more !

The ffb is just great too

Hi, new to the game, Yes indeed this the best codemaster F1 game so far, really underrated
I love the way the engine and the mechanical parts wears in the beginning of the season, the retro cars, the AI, clean, precise and agressive when you have find your correct setup
This will be the first F1 game where I will run a fun carrer and even more !

The ffb is just great too
Is the ai better than in 2018? Im having fun in 2018, just started, been ok for now.

Is the ai better than in 2018? Im having fun in 2018, just started, been ok for now.

I haven't have the 2018, the last have have was F12016, but so far the AI is great in 2019, love it
Agression, pressure, intelligence but without the flaws we have in the older F1 games

I've boot the 2016 ed again just to check the gap, FFB is way better, AI way better, physics seems more realistic (less grip) and the classic s F1 cars !!

I haven't have the 2018, the last have have was F12016, but so far the AI is great in 2019, love it
Agression, pressure, intelligence but without the flaws we have in the older F1 games

I've boot the 2016 ed again just to check the gap, FFB is way better, AI way better, physics seems more realistic (less grip) and the classic s F1 cars !!
Hehe yeah i like the older f1s in 18 too.
Just been doing quick races with them.
Tks.

Would love 66 full grid with eagles, coopers, ferraris, lotus... from gpl.
As long as i can setup custom races and championships. Same for 70s,80s, even 50s could be fun.

One thing i noticed in f1 2018 is the ai falls back just after passing them.

I have been able to test back to back to back to back the 4 following games on my PS4 Pro on a 75in Sony LED:
View media item 61788

In order of my testing:
GTS, Project Cars 2, F1 2019 and Grid.

This is my quick conclusion about each game:
GTS : the Golden Standard, strikes the right balance between relatively easy to approach and yet keep things relatively realistic at the level of quality that nothing else can compare to.

Project Cars 2 : so much good options to play with, I can't believe this game came out years ago, it easily can still be played to this day without much complains, but I can easily see why PC3 will revolutionize everything out there when it comes out.

F1 2019 : I surprised myself at how much I enjoyed playing this for the very first time, despite doing lousy and being last with an AI at around 40, but this game is really intense if you are as competitive as me... This is a keeper!

Grid : I dont understand how anyone playing Gran Turismo be taking this game Grid seriously, or even play it on regular basis? I just started it and barely have I tried a few minutes that I realized how much a waste of time this is, and what an insult this is to the little intelligence that I might have...
Grid should be thrown into the trash, what a piece of garbage this is. I wasted $24, I wouldn't even buy it for $10 had I know it.... Grid is worth $3 at best. Sorry to those of you who like it, but damn I don't understand. Don't you see that you are in no control at all?! Grid is a joke!!!

Last edited:
So: is it worth picking up F12019? I'm pretty much an AC lover. I gather that the gameplay & the AI in F12019 is good, are the physics good enough to make it immersive? As always, there seem to be some quite contradictory opinions out there!

So: is it worth picking up F12019? I'm pretty much an AC lover. I gather that the gameplay & the AI in F12019 is good, are the physics good enough to make it immersive? As always, there seem to be some quite contradictory opinions out there!

The physics aren’t anything too realistic but the game makes up for it with great AI, an immersive atmosphere and some really cool features in the career mode.

Take the new driver transfers they added in 2019 for instance. The first season was a pretty accurate mirror of the real life 2019 season, with me at Alfa Romeo not making much of an impact and Lewis/Mercedes dominating the championship. Then the next year I sign with Ferrari, replacing Vettel, who goes back to Red Bull since I replaced him. The first half of the championship was a serious scramble between me and Vettel for points, but the Red Bull team began to drop off halfway through the season and it became a neck-and-neck title fight going into the final few races between me and Leclerc.

Then in the next season there were even wackier transfers, with Lewis going to Red Bull and tag-teaming with Vettel, while Lance Stroll moved up to Mercedes with Verstappen. If you chose the F2 story mode at the start of the career, then sometimes a driver will retire and be replaced by another driver who was booted by one of the fictional characters from the F2 arc.

The career mode is great fun, but at this point I’d honesty advise you to just wait for F1 2020 to come out. It will probably be the same game but with more tracks and the additional feature of becoming the 11th team (which is that game’s selling point and a feature I’ve wanted since the earlier F1 games.)

Hi guys quick question. What are the different driving views F1 2019 offers? Can I race from the hood view? Bumper view? How does the bumper view compare to the one in Gt Sport?

Finally, for the PC version of F1 2019, are there any mods that allow you to remove both the halo and the steering wheel from cockpit view?

Hi guys quick question. What are the different driving views F1 2019 offers? Can I race from the hood view? Bumper view? How does the bumper view compare to the one in Gt Sport?

Finally, for the PC version of F1 2019, are there any mods that allow you to remove both the halo and the steering wheel from cockpit view?

For camera views there's front wing which as the name says is on the front of the front wing and is quite close to the road, the nose cam which is the same place as the ones they use for TV, cockpit cam aka what the driver sees, then there's camera mount (not actual name) which is above the air intake, kind of like a roof cam, and the camera mount offset which is the same but a bit off centre, and two chase cameras

For the halo there is a setting that turns it off (but only the bit right Infront of the driver) and another setting which turns off in game wheel animations, the screen on the wheel will still function.

The physics aren’t anything too realistic but the game makes up for it with great AI, an immersive atmosphere and some really cool features in the career mode.

Take the new driver transfers they added in 2019 for instance. The first season was a pretty accurate mirror of the real life 2019 season, with me at Alfa Romeo not making much of an impact and Lewis/Mercedes dominating the championship. Then the next year I sign with Ferrari, replacing Vettel, who goes back to Red Bull since I replaced him. The first half of the championship was a serious scramble between me and Vettel for points, but the Red Bull team began to drop off halfway through the season and it became a neck-and-neck title fight going into the final few races between me and Leclerc.

Then in the next season there were even wackier transfers, with Lewis going to Red Bull and tag-teaming with Vettel, while Lance Stroll moved up to Mercedes with Verstappen. If you chose the F2 story mode at the start of the career, then sometimes a driver will retire and be replaced by another driver who was booted by one of the fictional characters from the F2 arc.

The career mode is great fun, but at this point I’d honesty advise you to just wait for F1 2020 to come out. It will probably be the same game but with more tracks and the additional feature of becoming the 11th team (which is that game’s selling point and a feature I’ve wanted since the earlier F1 games.)

Just downloaded the trial. It's terrible - which is to say I'm in F2 with the racing line on, automatic shift on & (presumably) all kinds of driver aids, as the car is basically driving itself. Although there are game options, they only seem to relate to setting up the wheel etc. I don't see anywhere to adjust driving aids, which seems a bit odd.

Just downloaded the trial. It's terrible - which is to say I'm in F2 with the racing line on, automatic shift on & (presumably) all kinds of driver aids, as the car is basically driving itself. Although there are game options, they only seem to relate to setting up the wheel etc. I don't see anywhere to adjust driving aids, which seems a bit odd.

I’m not sure about the demo but in the full game there’s an assists page in the menu that allows you to change ABS, traction control, racing line, automatic pit stops, ERS deployment and all that stuff. In 2020 they said there will be a further degree of user customization available too. What they mean by that fully though has not been revealed yet.

I’m not sure about the demo but in the full game there’s an assists page in the menu that allows you to change ABS, traction control, racing line, automatic pit stops, ERS deployment and all that stuff. In 2020 they said there will be a further degree of user customization available too. What they mean by that fully though has not been revealed yet.

Yeah - I don't know. As far as I can tell the demo just has a short career in F2 which is supposed to give you a taste for the game, I suppose. Unfortunately, that "taste" seems heavily focused on the RPG aspect of the game rather than the driving, so it's not very helpful in figuring out how satisfying it is to actually drive.

For camera views there's front wing which as the name says is on the front of the front wing and is quite close to the road, the nose cam which is the same place as the ones they use for TV, cockpit cam aka what the driver sees, then there's camera mount (not actual name) which is above the air intake, kind of like a roof cam, and the camera mount offset which is the same but a bit off centre, and two chase cameras

For the halo there is a setting that turns it off (but only the bit right Infront of the driver) and another setting which turns off in game wheel animations, the screen on the wheel will still function.
Thanks r0-har :)

Yeah - I don't know. As far as I can tell the demo just has a short career in F2 which is supposed to give you a taste for the game, I suppose. Unfortunately, that "taste" seems heavily focused on the RPG aspect of the game rather than the driving, so it's not very helpful in figuring out how satisfying it is to actually drive.

You could try the f1 2018 demo if you just want an f1 game, but probably is similar feel too to 2019.
If i remember, you can try in it most options and do a full f1 race.
I liked it enough to get it, did try with a g29 wheel set and a ps4 controller.
I did have to tinker with the ffb and sensitivity wheel settings to make it acceptable.

Back