F1 2020 General Discussion Thread

Silverstone is a bit off for sure. At 92 AI I've dominated almost every track but Silverstone I could only qualify 5th and in the wet race I was holding up the entire pack having to defend left, right and center with the few AI runners ahead of me disappearing into the distance. I just crashed my car to move onto the next race.

Suzuka and Catalunya also seems a bit harder AI-wise compared to Belgium, Monza and the rest. Canada and Austria on the other hand seems easier.

Silverstone is a bit off for sure. At 92 AI I've dominated almost every track but Silverstone I could only qualify 5th and in the wet race I was holding up the entire pack having to defend left, right and center with the few AI runners ahead of me disappearing into the distance. I just crashed my car to move onto the next race.

Suzuka and Catalunya also seems a bit harder AI-wise compared to Belgium, Monza and the rest. Canada and Austria on the other hand seems easier.
Odd I found Silverstone to be easier than most (but to be fair I had hammered it to death in ACC a few days before racing it in F1), the Hungary however I struggled like hell at despite also putting serious time into it in ACC.

I love being able to customize the OSD. Why can't PD do this?

DFFMdB9.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out the alternate pit strategy thing because yesterday the default was start on mediums and do 2 stops for softs which I approved. But both Mercedes pitted about 3 laps in front of me and put on hard tires to go the rest of the way with. Which I still thought was ok since I would be on quicker softs later in the race. The call comes closer to the second stop that an alternative strategy was available. I just hit "X" to look at it and it was going to mediums instead of softs. I definitely didn't want to do that so I thought I just let it time out and disappear. But when the call came to pit engineer said I would be going on mediums. Did I approve that by just looking at it?

Nah, you have to approve the alternative strategy to use it. If you try to hold down "X" to make the menu go away, it confirms it (at least from my experience. It doesn't go away like the other MFD menus... or at least not as fast.). When I made this mistake, I ignored Jeff and came in on my originally scheduled lap.

If you do open this menu and don't want to use it, just highlight your original strat and hit "X".

I love being able to customize the OSD. Why can't PD do this?

DFFMdB9.jpg

Hmm.. I like the timer being up there but I still like having the standings on the left hand side and I don't think I would want that rear view on the halo but I've never used it to see if I like it. I've almost got myself trained to look at the wheel for shifting and gear info so I could lose that from the right side. Sure would make for a cleaner view. I might have to play around a little with the setup now that I've seen this.

Nah, you have to approve the alternative strategy to use it. If you try to hold down "X" to make the menu go away, it confirms it (at least from my experience. It doesn't go away like the other MFD menus... or at least not as fast.). When I made this mistake, I ignored Jeff and came in on my originally scheduled lap.

If you do open this menu and don't want to use it, just highlight your original strat and hit "X".

That's what was confusing me in that I just let it time out. I didn't push any other button once I saw it was not what I wanted.

I still hear the audio bug where i cant hear an AI car if it overtakes me or im really close to them? But i cant hear them from far away - anyone else notice it? I miss the sound of the other engines next to me

I still hear the audio bug where i cant hear an AI car if it overtakes me or im really close to them? But i cant hear them from far away - anyone else notice it? I miss the sound of the other engines next to me

I notice it from time-to-time, however I'm hell bent on listening for the upshift beep. So I might be ignoring the other sounds. lol.

Can anyone tell me if the DLC cars (Jordan, Benetton Etc.)are included on the Career mode special events?

This guy has nailed a Toyota livery and badge.

I hope he took the Honda PU? :P

I myself am on Race 6 in MyTeam – I brought back the Brabham team with a Merc PU. Teammate is Jack Aitken, AI is at 104. but I‘ll probably have to scale that up to 105 or 106 soon. The car is right in the midfield mix – my aggressive upgrade strategy has paid off, I think the only part that failed was an aero upgrade for Australia. So far, as a result, I‘ve scored points in every race – lower positions until China, I believe, and then a shocking win at Zandvoort thanks to weather shenanigans. It started to rain soon after the start, and we all went for a set of Inters at the first stop. I was lying in P6 behind the usual suspects – Top 6 minus Albon – for the whole race, when everyone came in for another set of Inters twelve or 13 laps from the end despite the fact the rain was scheduled to end shortly. I stayed out and pitted for Softs with eight laps to go and voila – a free pitstop and the first win for my resurrected team.

Shows that it‘s still way too easy to outsmart the AI once the opportunity presents itself, which is something that has annoyed me for years.

Something else I‘ve noticed – the AI seem to have a much higher threshold as to how long they can boost with Overtake vs. how long I can boost. Not something I have concrete evidence for, just something I‘ve come across anecdotally while fighting with other cars.

I hope he took the Honda PU? :P
Something else I‘ve noticed – the AI seem to have a much higher threshold as to how long they can boost with Overtake vs. how long I can boost. Not something I have concrete evidence for, just something I‘ve come across anecdotally while fighting with other cars.

After season 2, I find I have more ERS than others, thanks to upgrades. I also find they use it in odd places, like short straights after a corner which doesnt help a lot in my opinion, when I usually save it for long straights up to 7th gear.

In MyTeam I really don't like the negociation of drivers contracts. End of the season, a few days before I get my 26m$ rewards, I make a clumsy 5m$ upgrade of the Marketing team, and I'm short of 0.5m to renew Alesi for a 3rd season... The game wants me to appoint someone immediately. I take Aitken who, benefits instantly from my fully developped Training stuff, he goes from 71 to 91 !!! Alesi never had this level. So, I just saved 4m$ and got a much better driver... And Alesi got Max' slot at RB after he moves to Ferrari!

Last edited by a moderator:
In MyTeam I really don't like the negociation of drivers contracts. End of the season, a few days before I get my 26m$ rewards, I make a clumsy 5m$ upgrade of the Marketing team, and I'm short of 0.5m to renew Alesi for a 3rd season... The game wants me to appoint someone immediately. I take Aitken who, benefits instantly from my fully developped Training stuff, he goes from 71 to 91 !!! Alesi never had this level. So, I just saved 4m$ and got a much better driver... And Alesi got Max' slot at RB after he moves to Ferrari!
It is awkward that you have to do contracts before the end of the year, but at the same time they did it that way to prevent people from just waiting till they got their constructor's bonus money at the end of the first season and then hiring away a driver that's realistically way too good for their team.

At least they didn't make it possible for drivers to choose to leave your team without giving you the chance to re-sign them.... at least, not that I'm aware of.

It is awkward that you have to do contracts before the end of the year, but at the same time they did it that way to prevent people from just waiting till they got their constructor's bonus money at the end of the first season and then hiring away a driver that's realistically way too good for their team.

At least they didn't make it possible for drivers to choose to leave your team without giving you the chance to re-sign them.... at least, not that I'm aware of.

This 100%. Having 10m sitting in the bank plus a 15m bonus and you could have your pick of the grid which would be a bit pointless. Forces you to balance the funds which is good.

This 100%. Having 10m sitting in the bank plus a 15m bonus and you could have your pick of the grid which would be a bit pointless. Forces you to balance the funds which is good.
It should be noted that there is a limiting factor, in that certain drivers will require your team to have facilities at a certain level or be above a certain point in the constructor's standings to even allow you to try to buy out their contract. So in that sense the top guys are still unattainable right off, but you could still steal away a very strong upper midfield driver without much effort. The current setup does require you think a bit more tactically about your money and consider your second driver as an investment, instead of "you're only here for six months because I wanted a Ferrari engine".

It should be noted that there is a limiting factor, in that certain drivers will require your team to have facilities at a certain level or be above a certain point in the constructor's standings to even allow you to try to buy out their contract. So in that sense the top guys are still unattainable right off, but you could still steal away a very strong upper midfield driver without much effort. The current setup does require you think a bit more tactically about your money and consider your second driver as an investment, instead of "you're only here for six months because I wanted a Ferrari engine".

yeah, top drivers straight out the box will want Spec 3 facilities usually. Luckily for me Lando only wanted spec 2. :D

seems the pitcoin issues have been fixed for Xbox. Woke up today to find 2 codes gor pitcoin in my Xbox messages. One for the initial 15000 and one for an additional 5000.

Still in season 1, currently at Suzuka. Despite upgrades, my gearbox still only lasts 2 or 3 races. I’m currently on my 8th gearbox. It’s getting annoying taking a 5 place penalty every other race. It’s not my driving.

Still in season 1, currently at Suzuka. Despite upgrades, my gearbox still only lasts 2 or 3 races. I’m currently on my 8th gearbox. It’s getting annoying taking a 5 place penalty every other race. It’s not my driving.
At what wear percentage are you switching them out? You won't really have a noticable risk of problems cropping up until they're above 75% wear. Also, if you haven't done so it's worth investing in the driver perk for reduced engine wear, as I'm pretty sure that applies to the gearbox as well.

How much wear are you getting on the practice and event gearboxes? Also, what is your damage set to? Finally, are you simulating practice or the race?

After simulating these events at Hanoi (not a fan of the track, that's why I simulated) I noticed the wear was more than usual.

I'm on a G29 as well and I'm putting on approximately 10-11% wear on the event gearbox after qualifying+race (50% races at full damage).

Finally, are you simulating practice or the race?

After simulating these events at Hanoi (not a fan of the track, that's why I simulated) I noticed the wear was more than usual.
Ah yeah, that's something I'd forgotten about. If you simulate a session then the game presumes you would have been running the maximum amount of laps possible and calculates wear based on that. And since you use your event gearbox in P3, that would account for a lot of extra usage.

Last edited:
I use full damage with 25% races, I don’t simulate any sessions and do all practice programs at every race. I have 51% wear after Singapore and Russia. The wear rate depends on the track, Monza in particular was really hard on the gearbox and brought me over 60% after only two races.

On my 5th practice gb and 8th event gb. If I use it for a 3 races in a row then I’m guaranteed to have problems.

Last edited:
I use full damage with 25% races, I don’t simulate any sessions and do all practice programs at every race. I have 51% wear after Singapore and Russia. The wear rate depends on the track, Monza in particular was really hard on the gearbox and brought me up to 60% after only two races.

On my 5th practice gb and 8th event gb. If I use it for a 3 races in a row then I’m guaranteed to have problems.
I honestly have no idea what the problem is then. I've been doing 50% races with full damage as well, and even before I invested in wear reduction I certainly wasn't burning up gearboxes at a rate like what you're seeing.

Just out of idle curiosity, which engine supplier did you go with? I'm starting to wonder if that has an effect, given that each one has a different durability rating.

I honestly have no idea what the problem is then. I've been doing 50% races with full damage as well, and even before I invested in wear reduction I certainly wasn't burning up gearboxes at a rate like what you're seeing.

Just out of idle curiosity, which engine supplier did you go with? I'm starting to wonder if that has an effect, given that each one has a different durability rating.

I went with Mercedes.

I went with Mercedes.
Hmm, when I have the time I'll have to scope out the R&D maps for each engine supplier. I do know the factory upgrade schedules are different for each in driver career, if they're different in MyTeam as well that could be a factor.

Ahh, okay. So it's apparently an issue with the console versions and they have a patch in the works for it. Shoulda figured it was a platform thing.

I had this exact same problem in 2019 too. Even after they patched it, it didn’t come into effect until my second season.

Back