F1 2020 General Discussion Thread

I had this exact same problem in 2019 too. Even after they patched it, it didn’t come into effect until my second season.
Could be there's some data in the save file that can't be updated safely until a new season starts. That'd be my guess anyway.

So I've just been "trying" free practice at the infamous Hanoi circuit.

It was a frustrating evening and put a dent in my enjoyment of the game, the track is difficult enough with it's long straights
and twisty corners and risk of hitting the wall every 5 seconds but what really set my mood off was Fuel Management program!

How the **** are you supposed to purple this, I am barely making the green fuel management let alone hitting the target time
for the program and I am lifting on entry to every corner as early as I think I possibly can..

Can someone please enlighten me on the settings I should be using for Fuel Management?

Currently have it on the Balanced Pre-Set but I've tried the others which seem to make it worse

Tyres and ERS I can do no problem (not tried the others yet)

Video would be helpful but I am sure I can figure out it from any replies. I am in desperate need of resource points so I have
to try and get as many as I can from this track.

It was a frustrating evening and put a dent in my enjoyment of the game, the track is difficult enough with it's long straights
and twisty corners and risk of hitting the wall every 5 seconds but what really set my mood off was Fuel Management program!

How the **** are you supposed to purple this, I am barely making the green fuel management let alone hitting the target time
for the program and I am lifting on entry to every corner as early as I think I possibly can..

Can someone please enlighten me on the settings I should be using for Fuel Management?

Currently have it on the Balanced Pre-Set but I've tried the others which seem to make it worse

Video would be helpful but I am sure I can figure out it from any replies. I am in desperate need of resource points so I have
To be honest, your best course of action would be to just skip that one. There's diminishing returns on the amount of RP you get from practice, and if you do all the others and forget that one you'll only be losing 25 points. Your teammate should make up the difference rather easily.

I say this because Hanoi is a pretty crap track and it's really not worth beating your head against the wall for table scraps. The same goes for anywhere else though, if you're struggling too much with a practice program, just do the others and leave that one.

To be honest, your best course of action would be to just skip that one. There's diminishing returns on the amount of RP you get from practice, and if you do all the others and forget that one you'll only be losing 25 points. Your teammate should make up the difference rather easily.

I say this because Hanoi is a pretty crap track and it's really not worth beating your head against the wall for table scraps. The same goes for anywhere else though, if you're struggling too much with a practice program, just do the others and leave that one.

OK fair enough, I will keep that in mind.

I do agree about the crap track though as I beat myself up more actually learning it for doing the race itself, just frustrating in that this is the first one I've not been able to purple in all my attempts at F1 games but that probably says more about the track than anything else.

Will give it a few more goes and if I do manage it I'll upload a video guide myself.

Is the lean engine map available for the fuel management program, or are you stuck with standard? I've never done this program because I always switch between the three engine maps during a race to make sure i'm within half a lap of fuel.

Here's what I found to be a good starting point for the My Team car if you're just starting out (aka - no major upgrades on the car) and the conditions are dry. I'm still working on a wet setup. I've only had rain a couple of times in FP at Zandvoort and Barcelona. I'm on a wheel/pedal setup, so it may vary if you're on a gamepad

Aero - F: 4 R: 4
Suspension Geometry: Max out front and rear camber. Minimize toe front and rear (works great to optimize the tire wear program, plus more speed)
Suspension: front/rear springs plus anti-roll bars set to 4. Ride height: F: 4, R: 6
Tire pressures: the 6th value (it's on a 10 point scale).

I omitted the differential, fuel, and brake settings as they vary on which assist you run, and how long your stint will be.

Last edited:
Is the lean engine map available for the fuel management program, or are you stuck with standard? I've never done this program because I always switch between the three engine maps during a race to make sure i'm within half a lap of fuel.

Not available! That would make the fuel management program way too easy! :)

I will try those settings out a bit later and see how I get on with it but it seems that the fuel management program the main condition is to beat the delta time and from past experience I think if you run less fuel in the car but come a second or so ahead of the delta this determines the resulting factor (red = over time), green equals within expected lap and purple is if you go faster than the average delta time.

It also seems lower difficulty setting of the AI helps with fuel management program, some testing will be underway!

I am probably in the minority on this but I liked ERS the way it was on 2019. If you needed it charged just set it to zero for a lap or two and you're good. Seems like once my overtake gets to 20% theres no way to get it over 50 again for a good push lap. I hardly use it all because of this. The lift and coast to charge doesn't work for me either because if I do that I don't have the pace to keep in touch with the field. Personally the 5 options were much better than on/off.

I am probably in the minority on this but I liked ERS the way it was on 2019. If you needed it charged just set it to zero for a lap or two and you're good. Seems like once my overtake gets to 20% theres no way to get it over 50 again for a good push lap. I hardly use it all because of this. The lift and coast to charge doesn't work for me either because if I do that I don't have the pace to keep in touch with the field. Personally the 5 options were much better than on/off.
I had your issue at Shanghai, where I really couldn't keep it above 20-25% when keeping up with 10th place while maintaining a gap to 12th. Yet after completing the Shanghai race twice, and a full weekend and Zandvoort, here's what I've done/noticed to help speed up harvesting and keep a higher charge.
  • Don't use overtake in 8th gear (sometimes 7th if you're really low in percentages... like single digits)
  • Only use overtake while exiting low speed corners. Not during mid-to-high speed corners (unless you're trying to snag a position and have DRS activated)
  • Move the brake bias 1-2% (or more) to the rear
  • Limit use of the Rich engine map (example, only use it on the first two laps, then use it again on your entry and exit laps from the pits)
  • If you're able to maintain the gap to the car in front and behind, use the lean engine map for a lap or two.
  • Limit extended use of overtake (example - turns 12 - 14 at Shanghai, or turns 13 - 1 at Bahrain)

I have 'driver moves' option turned on in myteam - but no one moved after season 1! A bit strange.. I heard in other peoples seasons that Hamilton retires?

I have 'driver moves' option turned on in myteam - but no one moved after season 1! A bit strange.. I heard in other peoples seasons that Hamilton retires?

Haven't got very far yet but that would be an interesting one to see Hamilton retire...I will be starting another topic with video of my 1st season very soon and any driver moves/team changes etc but I want to get a few races in so you have some footage to watch while I record the next race.

Its extremely random. For me at the end of S1, Grosjean and Raikkonen retired, that triggered a few moves, Vettel went to Alfa, Verstappen to Ferrari, Ricciardo to Red Bull, Kvyat to Renault, Perez to AlphaTauri, Russell to Racing Point, Giovanazzi to Williams, De Vries to Alfa and Jordan King to Haas.

At the end of S2, Perez went to Haas, Latifi to AlphaTauri, Magnusson to Williams, Norris to My team, Aitken to Mclaren.

End of S3, Perez retired, Luca Ghiotto stepped up to Haas.

Just starting my 4th season in MyTeam, so far, Hamilton and Mercedes were S1 champions, Bottas and Mercedes were S2 champions, Norris and my team were S3 champions (Norris is my driver).

@Racing_Miku I finally did the Fuel Management program at Barcelona, and I swear I only passed because i had around 60% total power unit wear (my ICE, turbo, and MGU-H are in the 80% range. Once you hit this level Jeff won't shut up about it potentially failing).

I didn't attempt any fuel saving measures. lol. However, I can see this being an issue if you have a power unit with less wear.

@Racing_Miku I finally did the Fuel Management program at Barcelona, and I swear I only passed because i had around 60% total power unit wear (my ICE, turbo, and MGU-H are in the 80% range. Once you hit this level Jeff won't shut up about it potentially failing).

I didn't attempt any fuel saving measures. lol. However, I can see this being an issue if you have a power unit with less wear.

I think I do have less wear on the power unit, from memory I think it's about 15% worn as I've only done 2 races, will see how I get on with it at the weekend as not having much time today/tomorrow so will try on Saturday.

Last edited:
You can force it to happen by hiring away a driver from another team, but usually nothing will change unless someone decided to retire. I don't think drivers will swap seats without an opening happening somewhere.

I'm doing my career with 50% races, and actually restarted my whole race with 3 laps to go because I'd finally got the hang of the circuit and wanted another proper go... so from being sat in 16th in the 1st go I tried again and finished 8th instead...

The circuit is definitely not an instant favourite...

Patch 1.07 is out on PC, and will likely be hitting consoles Pretty Soon Now™.

Details:

• * Keep Fighting Foundation DLC pack is now available
  • * Addressed a crash when accessing mail resulting from changes within leagues
  • * Addressed a crash that could be seen when spectating a multiplayer race
  • * Splitscreen resolution has been increased
  • * In splitscreen player two will no longer change the race strategy for player ones when editing their own
  • * Player will no longer be offered an incorrect 0 stop strategy alternative during a race that requires a pit stop
  • * Jeff will now give the correct Championship Standings information during a race
  • * Brake boards are now present at turn 12 at Brazil
  • * F1 cars use the players chosen number in multiplayer
  • * Career modes will now progress correctly when Simulating races with Formation Lap turned on
  • * Fixed a performance issue when running Steam in offline mode
  • * In unranked others players will no longer be seen to be given points after failing to finish a race
  • * Purple fastest lap times are now easier to read on the race results
  • * Improvements to the item preview images so they’re higher resolution
  • * Glove textures have been improved under certain conditions on track where they were previously appearing lower resolution
  • * Players will no longer be penalised for overtaking the safety car in a pit lane entrance or exit
  • * Players can no longer overtake the safety car once it is ready to return to the pit lane
  • * F2 sprint race grid will always correctly reflect the result from the feature race
  • * Updated a number of F2 lap records
  • * F2 Races in Vietnam are now the correct number of laps
  • * If the player is eliminated in qualifying 1 parc ferme rules will now correctly apply
  • * After a formation lap time gaps will now be shown correctly
  • * Addressed an issue where all participants in a weekly event would not be awarded points
  • * Nationality flag is now correctly displayed on Mercedes race suits
  • * Various other stability and bug fixes
Regarding the DLC, here's the announcement on Steam. It's a pack of cosmetic items similar to the Schumacher DLC, with 100% of the proceeds going to the Keep Fighting Foundation.

Keep_Fighting_06.jpg

Beat me to it. :D the new DLC pack I will purchase in support of the foundation, includes livery, race suit, helmet, gloves, badge and podium emote.

Also, one of the fixes that is unlisted on the list and comes under the various bug fixes line is the engine sound changing in MyTeam when you switch suppliers. A much requested fix.

I'm doing my career with 50% races, and actually restarted my whole race with 3 laps to go because I'd finally got the hang of the circuit and wanted another proper go... so from being sat in 16th in the 1st go I tried again and finished 8th instead...

The circuit is definitely not an instant favourite...

Hanoi looks a lot like Baku isn't it ? Those narrow corners, the close walls, the unclear trajectories, the massive straights. Not a difficult track but just annoying to drive to. The first race on it in myteam mode can be tough, when you have a ****** car

Hanoi looks a lot like Baku isn't it ? Those narrow corners, the close walls, the unclear trajectories, the massive straights. Not a difficult track but just annoying to drive to. The first race on it in myteam mode can be tough, when you have a ****** car
Very true. After completing a full weekend at Baku (and Monaco... :yuck:), I now realize Hanoi wasn't that bad. It's easier to navigate than Baku, and not a battle of patience like Monaco.

Last edited:
Baku at least has some nice scenery though, and a couple of things that make for handy braking point references. Hanoi has nothing to visually distract from its poor flow and all around generic quality, and that makes it feel like so much more of a chore to drive. Though I will say, Hanoi is probably the only track where having my DRS getting stuck open felt more like a benefit than a liability.

Had a funny race in MyTeam S3, in Canada. AI 97. started on pole , won in front of my team mate Aitken. It started raining at 7/18 till the end but the AI went just nuts some guys pitted 4 times , and i took a lap to guys like Leclerc, Ocon, and 3 or 4 others. In a 18 laps racr it's uncommon to take laps!

Had a funny race in MyTeam S3, in Canada. AI 97. started on pole , won in front of my team mate Aitken. It started raining at 7/18 till the end but the AI went just nuts some guys pitted 4 times , and i took a lap to guys like Leclerc, Ocon, and 3 or 4 others. In a 18 laps racr it's uncommon to take laps!
Whenever something like that happens, it's worth pausing for a second to look at the incidents tab in the Race Director to see what's going on. I'm betting that there were a number of cars plowing into each other going in and out of the pits because the rain was messing up their braking points, which means they had to pit again to get a new front wing. Given the placement of the pit area on that track, there's a pretty good chance for the AI to have serious derp-out moments if they get caught by the weather.

I gather in the My Team with Renault power that I got Pole at Australia I have the difficulty setting too low :lol:

Codemasters recommends starting a Grand Prix weekend on a track you're familiar with, and when you finish qualifying, you should be within three tenths of a second between you and your teammate. If you're outside of three tenths, you should adjust the AI setting. This method is not bad, yet the AI setting will vary a lot depending on which car you choose to drive.

The AI setting works like this: every point is +/- one tenth of a second for the AI.

Personally, I did @MagpieRacer suggestion of picking the Red Bull (Alex Albon), and did a couple of 50% races to see if I can finish no higher than 6th. I like this method better, as puts you in position to score at least a few points during the first half of your initial season in MyTeam. Plus, it gives you a chance to finish the practice and qualifying sessions in the top 10, so it allows you to get more team/driver acclaim and questions from the media. Once I had three points finishes in a row, I bumped up the AI to keep me outside the top 10 for qualifying.

I actually like the idea of driver retirements,as long as it doesnt go OTT.

I hired Aitken to replace Schumacher,and hes actually doing worse so far in S2,despite being rated 79. I won my first race,at Zandvoort,after a very lucky safety car timing. The rest of the season though ive done pretty poorly going into Azerbaijan. Hamilton once again is leading the championship..

I hired Aitken to replace Schumacher,and hes actually doing worse so far in S2,despite being rated 79.
It's possible Aitken's driving style doesn't agree with how you've been upgrading your cars. There is more to it than just higher number = better result, when I brought in Hubert at the start of the second season he had much better overall stats than Aitken, but didn't show any kind of improvement until I started getting into the higher end chassis upgrades. Once those went into effect, he immediately began doing much better overall.

It's possible Aitken's driving style doesn't agree with how you've been upgrading your cars. There is more to it than just higher number = better result, when I brought in Hubert at the start of the second season he had much better overall stats than Aitken, but didn't show any kind of improvement until I started getting into the higher end chassis upgrades. Once those went into effect, he immediately began doing much better overall.

Well thats a nice detail if so! I might keep faith with him for S3...

Back