F1 2020 General Discussion Thread

Well with thanks to @alx42 I am now settled with the Mercedes-Benz AMG F1 Team and my R&D points have been collected from Australian GP practice programs.

I have one last question for those of you that have the current podium pass, I am doing five lap races/one shot qualifying and 30 min practice session, is it possible for me to reach Tier 30 by the end of Round 22 before the current podium pass finishes in 3 days?

Just started Season 7 of MyTeam. I do find after Season 4/5 everything is fully upgraded so the money and R&D points become a bit futile. Even when theres a regulation change, I had 62k R&D points to fully convert 2 departments and still had 45k left. Also have $250million in the bank with nothjng to spend it on.

Its good fun though, the racing is still fresh and fun so that makes up for it. Have a very interesting looking grid in S7 as well..

Ferrari: Verstappen-Leclerc
Mercedes: Russell-Bottas
Red Bull: Norris-Albon
Mclaren: Aitken-Gasly
Renault: Ocon-Kvyat
AlphaTauri: Latifi-Matsushiita
Alfa Romeo: De Vries-Zhou
Williams: Magnusson-Giovanazzi
Racing Point: Stroll-Sette Camara
Haas: King-Ghiotto
MyTeam: Me-Vettel

Champions:
S1: Hamilton - Mercedes
S2: Bottas - Mercedes
S3: Norris - MyTeam (ABR1 M-Sport Renault)
S4: Verstappen - Ferrari
S5: Me - MyTeam (Mugen Power F1 Racing Honda)
S6: Sainz - Mercedes

Hamilton retired end of S4 and Ricciardo went to Mercedes, he then retired end of S5 and was replaced by Sainz who won the title and then retired end of S6. Mercedes turning into a retirement home.

For those that have been through a regulation change, what exactly happens? I got an email from Jeff saying there's a possibility it might happen in season 2 for me. He wasn't aware if it'll affect certain areas or all areas. My facilities are spec 1, and I'm at round 17 on the calendar (Russia).

For those that have been through a regulation change, what exactly happens? I got an email from Jeff saying there's a possibility it might happen in season 2 for me. He wasn't aware if it'll affect certain areas or all areas. My facilities are spec 1, and I'm at round 17 on the calendar (Russia).

It randomly selects so you should see on R&D development which area's you need to redevelop for me it was chassis and aerodynamics department.

It randomly selects so you should see on R&D development which area's you need to redevelop for me it was chassis and aerodynamics department.
Thanks. If it happens, I hope it doesn't affect both my aero and chassis departments (all spec 1 car upgrades are complete). Otherwise, I won't be losing much. lol.

Trying ranked lobbies here and there but the races are just pure chaos. It's so bad that it's difficult to even find the motivation to rank up, 2 consecutive 5 lap races is enough for me today.

It would also be nice if ranked mode had no assists lobbies so everyone is on equal footing too. It's kind of annoying when you start a wet race and everyone around you using TC pretty much has launch control.

Last edited:
Bug with the Challenges in the Podium Pass at the moment?

Was trying the daily challenges for first time tonight and had the following:

Win a Race at GB as Hamilton.
Win wet race at Brazil with wet tyres
Win wet race at Abu Dhabi with wet tyres
Win a race driving for Alfa Romeo

All done, objectives apparently not met!

I also checked the series challenges and one was drive for all ten teams in GP well I did four teams but again nothing on the objectives.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks. If it happens, I hope it doesn't affect both my aero and chassis departments (all spec 1 car upgrades are complete). Otherwise, I won't be losing much. lol.
You'll have the opportunity to invest points in updating the affected upgrades to keep them into next season. The upside it can give you a pretty big advantage as not every team will do that, the downside is you more or less have to freeze development for a while until you get caught up.

Also be aware that the amount of time you have to do this isn't a fixed amount. The first reg change I got, I had from Singapore on to take care of it, and the next one in season 3 wasn't announced until Japan.

I haven't played F1 in a few years, but was on the Xbox store and saw the game on sale for 30% off this weekend (Games with Gold discount) . I might just need to pick it up!

Last edited:
That XP thing has maxed out already for me in season 2 - will it just stay like that for the rest of career lol? i dont need to see the screen everytime now haha.

I pretty much play the series yearly but just got this on the ps4 sale. My team mode is neat, but I’m noticing tons of blurry graphics and slow loading though.

like car liveries, helmets, pit crew, driver outfits, even driver pictures in the race intro all load very slowly and it looks like ****. I was just playing 2019 last week and it was fine.

My team mode is neat, but I’m noticing tons of blurry graphics and slow loading though.

like car liveries, helmets, pit crew, driver outfits, even driver pictures in the race intro all load very slowly and it looks like ****.

I noticed that as well, mostly after the latest patch... hopefully they'll fix it

After around 100 laps I got to grips with the Vietnam track. Still hate the 2 270 degrees corners. But once I got the hang of, it can be satisfying to put down a good lap. The 3rd section of the track is my favorite. Zigzagging in 5th or 4th gear is a joy in the 2020 high downforce cars :)

I also had virtual VC and a real one. That is sooooo nicely done in this game.

And I mapped the rotation funky switch from my CSW2.5 to the fuel map function. Should have done that sooner really.

After around 100 laps I got to grips with the Vietnam track. Still hate the 2 270 degrees corners. But once I got the hang of, it can be satisfying to put down a good lap. The 3rd section of the track is my favorite. Zigzagging in 5th or 4th gear is a joy in the 2020 high downforce cars :)

I also had virtual VC and a real one. That is sooooo nicely done in this game.

And I mapped the rotation funky switch from my CSW2.5 to the fuel map function. Should have done that sooner really.

I only played the new tracks in my team with my horrible low rated car, but Vietnam was okay for a street circuit. I should give it a spin in a Mercedes.

F1 2020 The Loading screen simulator, jumping in at the deep end that's all i'm ever seeing as keep wrecking my car in the 1st lap or 2 on expert mode lol but boy the loading screen too loading screen, just load the flaming track.

Last edited:

Not the best race director in the world but ended up spectating this race and couldn't stop laughing. Great fun when you're not in the midst.

Not the best race director in the world but ended up spectating this race and couldn't stop laughing. Great fun when you're not in the midst.

Jeez, with all the time penalties, could just chill behind the pack and still maybe grab a podium.

What's up with today's re-release of this game in the PS Store? Did it get some major update or what?

Is Hamiltons outfit black or silver? They did an update to their cover on twitter yesterday and that was the only change I could find.

Here's the actual in game description of when you're notified of a regulation change (and what needs to be done). Thankfully, it only affected two of my departments.

This was taken before I started the weekend at Austin. I now have ~3200 resource points. I only need ~4200 to keep all of my current aero parts. To hell with durability. It doesn't make my car faster. lol

Last edited:
Here's the actual in game description of when you're notified of a regulation change (and what needs to be done). Thankfully, it only affected two of my departments.

This was taken before I started the weekend at Austin. I now have ~3200 resource points. I only need ~4200 to keep all of my current aero parts.
Lucky you, I have to adapt all aero and chassis upgrades. Gonna be expensive. :lol:
The notice came in during Suzuka race weekend.

Lucky you, I have to adapt all aero and chassis upgrades. Gonna be expensive. :lol:
The notice came in during Suzuka race weekend.
True. I can imagine this being horrible if you have an extensive amount of development on the car.

True. I can imagine this being horrible if you have an extensive amount of development on the car.
Yeah indeed.

Just upgraded 2 new parts in both departments. Now I gotta adapt them all. :lol:

Luckily I have some spare R&D points to spend.

Just finished my first season. Regulation change hit my Reliability Department, so most of my points went to adapting to the new rule set. The last three races, I've been rotating the engines around, and I guess I had 1 lap left in this engine, when the race got done.

bN0Pfxa.png

So I may be wrong in saying this but does anyone think that wears levels on the top tier teams seems to happen more frequently than in the lower level teams?

My first season with Racing Point I managed to do the following

I had to replace the engine at Race 7, 14 and then took a third engine with penalty at Race 22 and with Red Bull the engine died at Race 5, 10 and 15

The other components were yellow wear after 6 races but this meant that I failed the Fuel/Tyre/ERS management program delta's target times which I understand given the parts are worn but I don't want to have to keep adding new parts and incur more penalties for my driver.

What triggers the wear in components, I know one is not discharging the battery during the battery (using Overtake) and I presume that another one is using Standard/Rich Mix rather than Lean setting etc.

Anyone any guidelines on how I can manage to make worn parts last longer as ideally I want about 85-90% wear before I swap components.

So I may be wrong in saying this but does anyone think that wears levels on the top tier teams seems to happen more frequently than in the lower level teams?

My first season with Racing Point I managed to do the following

I had to replace the engine at Race 7, 14 and then took a third engine with penalty at Race 22 and with Red Bull the engine died at Race 5, 10 and 15

The other components were yellow wear after 6 races but this meant that I failed the Fuel/Tyre/ERS management program delta's target times which I understand given the parts are worn but I don't want to have to keep adding new parts and incur more penalties for my driver.

What triggers the wear in components, I know one is not discharging the battery during the battery (using Overtake) and I presume that another one is using Standard/Rich Mix rather than Lean setting etc.

Anyone any guidelines on how I can manage to make worn parts last longer as ideally I want about 85-90% wear before I swap components.
Yes. I've noticed the top 3-5 teams tend to replace more parts and take a grid penalty. This is probably why they're so much faster. lol.

As for keeping wear low, you hit most of it. In addition, what I do is I only use FP1/2/3 to do the practice programs and to not nail down the setup with the remaining time. This is to prevent unnecessary laps on components. If I fail a program, I restart the entire session and make my setup adjustments before I start the program again. Same with qualifying. If I can't go 1s faster than my time from the qualifying practice program, I restart the session and adjust the setup.

Last edited:
Yes. I've noticed the top 3-5 teams tend to replace more parts and take a grid penalty. This is probably why they're so much faster. lol.

As for keeping wear low, you hit most of it. In addition, what I do is I only use FP1/2/3 to do the practice programs and to not nail down the setup. This is to prevent unnecessary laps on components. If I fail a program, I restart the entire session and make my setup adjustments before I start the program again. Same with qualifying. If I can't go 1s faster than my time from the qualifying practice program, I restart the session and adjust the setup.

Thanks!

I almost always try to do all the practice programs in FP1 if I can to make sure the car is not having excess outings on track and just put in an appearance for FP2/3 because usually I've nailed everything by end of FP1.

Either way I think I'll take a move back down the pecking order after the British GP no offence to the top tier teams but I'd rather beat them in the lower tier teams!

My new project I think is gonna be to see if I can get Williams up the grid order in terms of R&D and have a chance of winning championshiop/
constructors. More on that soon!

Back