F1 2020 General Discussion Thread

NVM, your setup is good. Do you have the same issue at Singapore or Hungaroring by any chance?

I haven't ran Singapore yet but no problems with Hungaroring. Turn 7 as Yas Marina, the tight hairpin, is no problem either. I should have time tonight to run Singapore.

I haven't ran Singapore yet but no problems with Hungaroring. Turn 7 as Yas Marina, the tight hairpin, is no problem either. I should have time tonight to run Singapore.
Sounds good. If you're not having the same issue on other tight corners, and it's strictly Monaco, I would try the following.
  • Soften the suspension (anything level 4 and below)
  • Stagger the suspension stiffness (e.g. Front = 3, rear = 5)
  • Soften the anti-roll bars (anything below level 4)
  • Add (more) positive rake into the suspension, until the car becomes unstable at high speed turns (e.g. Front = 4, Rear = 7)
  • Lower your tire pressures all around
  • Set negative camber to -2.5 and keep the rear at -2.
  • Add toe-out to the front
  • Minimize toe in the rear
  • Don't stagger the downforce levels (e.g. Front = 8 and Rear = 8 or higher for Monaco)
  • Set the decel on the differential to 50% (the higher you set this number, the more resistant the car will rotate off throttle)

Well ive created a monster in my TM Jack Aitken - who leads the championship going into Singapore on Season 4! We have the best developed car,ahead of Mercedes - Bottas won season 3,finally beating Hamilton. But the Finn is in a real battle with Aitken this season! Ive struggled,currently in 6th but just won at Monza - no chance i can win the championship now with Red Bull looking strong aswell. I didnt plan my TM to win the Championship before me in Myteam haha!!

Well end of Season 4 - and the guy i hired from F2 - Aitken - has WON the championship!! We have also won the constructors,although im lying in 5th place in the championship,but i can jump the two Red Bulls in the final race with a good result. Quite embarrassing that Aitken wins it before me haha!!

Bottas is about to retire,so will be interesting who comes into Mercedes to be Hamiltons TM (who still hasnt retired!).

Well end of Season 4 - and the guy i hired from F2 - Aitken - has WON the championship!! We have also won the constructors,although im lying in 5th place in the championship,but i can jump the two Red Bulls in the final race with a good result. Quite embarrassing that Aitken wins it before me haha!!

Bottas is about to retire,so will be interesting who comes into Mercedes to be Hamiltons TM (who still hasnt retired!).

Well I did mention the AI becoming a monster earlier in the discussion thread in later seasons! :cheers:

Good going though I would say, I haven't played any F1 for a long while now due to way too much other stuff going on and Genshin Impact happened so maybe I might actually get through the career/my team mode in a game sometime!

Usually posting over in the GT Sport forum but dived into F1 for this and it was a lot of fun! F1 2020 has much more depth than I thought:

Go hold of this a few days ago. For the most part it feels a bit rushed. A lot of it is virtually identical to F1 2019, not that that's necessarily a bad thing; before I got a new laptop this year I was still entertaining myself with F1 2012! I fear though that Codemasters are falling into the same trap that EA did of recycling the same basic game each year and just updating the drivers and tracks.

It's disappointing that they've decided to remove the C3 class classic cars, I like driving the ground effect cars especially. But I have the Schumacher Edition so I get his four cars which is a nice touch.

I've only done FP1 at Melbourne and a couple of single-player races so far, but I think they need to update the pace of the teams, as Ferrari are much faster than they should be. I like the whole create your own team and drive for them idea. There's a lot going on but I'll get the hang of it. F2 is also back which is good, but for some reason it's still last year's roster and cars.

The handling and physics feel possibly less realistic than F1 2019. It took me a bit of work to get used to that game as I was used to play the early games where the cars are on rails and you have to throw them into each corner. In F1 2020 the cars are much more stable and responsive in cornering, it feels less like the back end is constantly trying to spin out on the exit of the corner.

I'm not sure what to make of Hanoi. It doesn't feel like a new circuit and instead the first thing that comes to mind when I drive it is the Surfer's Paradise Street Circuit from TOCA World Touring Cars! It's really more of a Formula E circuit, though it looks like we may never race there anyway. Zandvoort is fantastic. Admittedly, it may not be great for wheel-to-wheel racing, but the fast corners and extreme cambers and banking make it feel more like a rollercoaster than a track.

They've updated the car liveries but it may be a while before they revise the calendar, assuming they ever do. It would be nice to have some kind of "COVID Career Mode" that follows what has happened in real life, but until then the game can be treated as a hypothetical of a regular 2020 season.

1. How do I adjust the AI skill level? (think i found answer here https://www.gamepur.com/guides/how-to-change-ai-difficulty-in-f1-2020) race weekend? I guess I will see if I have that on mine, sure dont remember that.

2. How do I add a statistic similar to Grand Turismo where it shows you at any given time if you are ahead or behind your previous lap, if it exists?

3. is there an Arcade mode? I dont see it, time trial I see...

thanks

(GT as I recall had your time in green if you were faster or yellow if slower, constantly running, really great thing, this might be Forza actually, dont remember now)

Last edited:
1. How do I adjust the AI skill level? (think i found answer here https://www.gamepur.com/guides/how-to-change-ai-difficulty-in-f1-2020) race weekend? I guess I will see if I have that on mine, sure dont remember that.

2. How do I add a statistic similar to Grand Turismo where it shows you at any given time if you are ahead or behind your previous lap, if it exists?

3. is there an Arcade mode? I dont see it, time trial I see...

thanks

(GT as I recall had your time in green if you were faster or yellow if slower, constantly running, really great thing, this might be Forza actually, dont remember now)
1. You can adjust the AI skill level on every loading between practice 1-3, qualifying and race.

2. If you race with cockpit cam, you can see it on the screen on the wheel. I "never" use anything else, so cannot comment on other camera angles.

3. There is Grand Prix mode (which might be the closest to arcade), Championships, Time Trial and the 2 career modes: Driver Career and My Team.

1. You can adjust the AI skill level on every loading between practice 1-3, qualifying and race.

2. If you race with cockpit cam, you can see it on the screen on the wheel. I "never" use anything else, so cannot comment on other camera angles.

3. There is Grand Prix mode (which might be the closest to arcade), Championships, Time Trial and the 2 career modes: Driver Career and My Team.
Thank you!

Where on the wheel exactly? I see the speed and below that some stuff, not sure what is what. Stuff to the right of it also. I guess I dont know what any of it is.

I see it now...so that is the difference vs the previous lap? Cool

Problem is I dont use cockpit all the time, prefer the view WING...dont see it there

If I load a tune before the race or time trial, the car goes back to some other tune after I do that race, right? That is what I am seeing, do you have to load the same tune for the qualifying and race when online? If you want the same tune? Does the tune stay on the car after you qualify for unranked online so you dont have to load it again in between q and race?

Oh crap, now I have done something wrong. When going into unranked races I am not getting the option to load a car setup...frustrating. What in the world am I doing wrong now, it worked for a while, now I only get one choice on the screen which is a preset setup.

Yep AAGGHH each time I can t LOAD a set up now...is there a version of racing where you cant?

Is there a more active board where folks discuss this game? I seem to need lots of help LOL

Last edited:
I've been trying to run long races in the team mode, but I had to leave before I could run the race. I tried twice before the update and got to lap 20 before the game crashed each time, then tried yesterday and didn't even make a lap before it crashed. I've tried the initializing fix and it changed nothing, and I'm using a baseline PS4, is there a glitch in stopping between sessions or is this solely a hardware issue?

Go hold of this a few days ago. For the most part it feels a bit rushed. A lot of it is virtually identical to F1 2019, not that that's necessarily a bad thing; before I got a new laptop this year I was still entertaining myself with F1 2012! I fear though that Codemasters are falling into the same trap that EA did of recycling the same basic game each year and just updating the drivers and tracks.

'Myteam' in career mode is a massive new addition and the best thing theyve done in years,the game is certainly not rushed at all.

'Myteam' in career mode is a massive new addition and the best thing theyve done in years,the game is certainly not rushed at all.

That's new but the rest of the game is more or less the same.

I've started a regular career mode as well. I decided to do a full F2 season first. Your performance has no effect on the team you eventually drive for, so you could be worse than Lord Mahaveer and win the championship the following year with Mercedes. One thing I preferred about the older games was that you were forced to start with a backmarker team and work your way up. It's also set with damage off, and there appears to be no options for changing that.

I'm convinced Ferrari being OP is the result of some egotistical contract shenanigans.

Are the F2 cars supposed to handle like absolute trash? I thought F2 cars should handle almost as good as F1 cars but just not as fast. But they are so sluggish, and that's with either 2019 or 2020 cars. Massive understeer, can't change directions very quickly at chicanes.

That's new but the rest of the game is more or less the same.

I've started a regular career mode as well. I decided to do a full F2 season first. Your performance has no effect on the team you eventually drive for, so you could be worse than Lord Mahaveer and win the championship the following year with Mercedes. One thing I preferred about the older games was that you were forced to start with a backmarker team and work your way up. It's also set with damage off, and there appears to be no options for changing that.

Of course theres options for changing that and of course you can start with a back marker team,you make it as hard as you want. I cant see why anyone wouldnt start with Myteam anyway,its really immersive managing your own team and teammate - massive improvement over previous games.

Does it take anyone else two or three attempts to get the game fired up without crashing?

Does it take anyone else two or three attempts to get the game fired up without crashing?

It doesn't exactly crash but it's been doing something strange since this F2 2020 update. I start the game, it starts loading but then it's like the Xbox isn't on or the tv is in a different input source because I get a notice to check the power on the Xbox that it might not be on even though it clearly is. It will sit in that mode for maybe 10 to 15 seconds then the game opening screen comes on. After I select my Xbox name it does the same thing. ACC doesn't do this, Forza 7 doesn't do this, only F1 2020. Very strange.

I had an incident in a race today that I don't understand what happened. At Mexico with about 12 or so laps left, I was leading with Verstappen only about 2 seconds back. We were coming up on a back marker but there was a quick yellow flag. The back marker really slows up like they sometimes do but then I have to jam on the brakes to keep from passing him in the yellow flag zone. But the green light is on at the next marker. Verstappen flies past the both of us and it appears he's in front before we get to that green light.

It takes me probably 4 or 5 laps to pass Verstappen again to regain the lead. With maybe 3 to 4 laps left I see on the leaderboard that Verstappen has a 5 second penalty but I haven't seen a notice what it's for.

Race ends and I beat Verstappen on track by 1.5 seconds which turns into 6.5 with the penalty.

I have to wonder if that 5 second was for passing under yellow? What determines when you are allowed to pass coming out of a yellow flag zone, just seeing the green light or do you have to pass the green light first?

Does the game notify you when other driver's have penalties and what they are for?

It doesn't exactly crash but it's been doing something strange since this F2 2020 update. I start the game, it starts loading but then it's like the Xbox isn't on or the tv is in a different input source because I get a notice to check the power on the Xbox that it might not be on even though it clearly is. It will sit in that mode for maybe 10 to 15 seconds then the game opening screen comes on. After I select my Xbox name it does the same thing. ACC doesn't do this, Forza 7 doesn't do this, only F1 2020. Very strange.

Well I'm playing it on PC via Steam. The crashing usually happens either just before the intro movie or on the loading screen before the main menu.

Are the F2 cars supposed to handle like absolute trash? I thought F2 cars should handle almost as good as F1 cars but just not as fast. But they are so sluggish, and that's with either 2019 or 2020 cars. Massive understeer, can't change directions very quickly at chicanes.
I think you generally get what you can see on TV. That’s what limited downforce and no power steering does for you. Personally, I really like it – the F2 cars feel a lot more “old school” compared to the modern F1 cars, and I love the look and sound – though that’s obviously subjective.

I’d recommend giving them a good thrashing about in Time Trial – I can often pick up seconds of lap time just by getting familiar with the car/track combo, and once you find the sweet spot you can actually do very consistent lap times. If you want to go racing, short shifting out of slower corners is your friend, especially as the race wears on and the tyres degrade.

So how is this on Ps5? I have just received mine. I am coming from a base ps4. And I was amazed at how F1 2017 looks with the upgraded visuals! So how is 2020? Is it worth the buy if I already have 2017?

Is ERS the same as DRS?

Is there a difference?

I'm struggling because I mapped the DRS button to the r3 button on my new wheel when I press it I don't get any indication that anything happened.

Thank you for your help

Is ERS the same as DRS?

Is there a difference?

I'm struggling because I mapped the DRS button to the r3 button on my new wheel when I press it I don't get any indication that anything happened.

Thank you for your help
ERS is Energy Recovery System and DRS is Drag Reduction System.

ERS is basically an electronic boost in power for a limited duration, which can be "refilled" by braking.
DRS is a setting to open the cars backwing to reduce downforce down the straights, which can be opened in certain areas on different tracks when being less then a second behind the car infront in races.

Not sure about your button mapping problem.
Maybe if you could add some more info about your wheel, platform (Playstation, Xbox, PC?), and if you use any other software, we can help you more.

ERS is Energy Recovery System and DRS is Drag Reduction System.

ERS is basically an electronic boost in power for a limited duration, which can be "refilled" by braking.
DRS is a setting to open the cars backwing to reduce downforce down the straights, which can be opened in certain areas on different tracks when being less then a second behind the car infront in races.

Not sure about your button mapping problem.
Maybe if you could add some more info about your wheel, platform (Playstation, Xbox, PC?), and if you use any other software, we can help you more.
Thank you for the explanation.

I'm on PS5 with a Fanatec Mclaren GT3 V2 wheel. I've mapped DRS to the R3 button and I don't think anything happens when I press it because the DRS indicator is still bright green as if it's still available.

As Pheonix said, there are only a couple places on each track where DRS can be used. There is a sign at the side of the tracks that says "DRS" at the line where it can be activated in practice, qualifying, or time trial. In a race it only works if you are within 1 second of the car in front of you.

One way to tell if your button is working is to have another button to look behind. Try activating DRS and then look behind. If there is a big gap in your rear wing, it is working.

Back