F1 2021 General Discussion Thread

So what happens when you maxed out the department upgrades for each facility ? What do you spend the money on apart from a better driver ? Do you just accumulate cash with no way to spend it ?

Last edited:
Well I guess the KPH vs. MPH issue solved itself. Played again last night and glanced down at the wheel and it was showing MPH now. I'm still a little puzzled with the steering and the brakes.

I started the steering settings just as I had them in F1 2020. 360 DOR in game and on the wheel. But that didn't feel right and the in game wheel was rotating a lot more than my actual input. Looked at Fanatec's recommended settings and it said to put the SEN on the wheel to AUTO. Plus I did the calibration in game and got my input to more closely match what was showing on screen. That helped some but it still feels like the car doesn't want to turn sharply enough in low speed tight turns. I've turned down the wheel's FFB to very low to see if that will help me to be able to flick the car around better. It seemed higher FFB just made the steering problem worse.

This wheel was originally a Fanatec CSL V2 but when they repaired it they upgraded it to a V2.5. I think there are some additional settings I wasn't aware of because scrolling through the LCD there were these odd abbreviations I've never seen before.

I tried to adjust the brake pressure up some from 050 again where F1 2020 was. On the V2 the BRF went from 0-100. So I was going to try to put it on 100 and adjust down from there. But this "V2.5" goes from 0-99 then MAX. So I put it on MAX. But instead of making the brakes super sensitive it was like I had no brakes at all. Went down the front stretch at Monza. Hit the brakes at about the 100 board, and just kept sailing right on through the chicane. I think it finally came to a stop about 2/3 of the way to the 2nd chicane.

Can you go full speed through yellow flag zones? The only rule under yellow flags is no passing?

Also if anyone is using a Fanatec V2.5 base with the Formula V2 rim I would appreciate it if you could tell me what the settings on the wheel mean because I can't find any sort of manual anywhere.

Anyone have any info on the two player career ghosting bug? ( Cars ghost even when settings have ghosting switched off) Think this bug was introduced with the last patch.

I had my first ever safety car incident the other night in a F2 race in Austria. I never had one in F1 2020.

I was leading when it happened as I was just entering turn 3. The instructions said to maintain "delta pace". What does that mean? I backed off to about half speed and the field caught me and we went around and the safety car picked us up about halfway between turn 2 and 3.

When we were going back to green it said not to pass the safety car until it entered pitlane. At least that's what I thought it said. Are you allowed to pass as it first enters the pitlane? I waited until it was completely in the pitlane before I accelerated.

Last edited:
I had my first ever safety car incident the other night in a F2 race in Austria. I never one in F1 2020.

I was leading when it happened as I was just entering turn 3. The instructions said to maintain "delta pace". What does that mean? I backed off to about half speed and the field caught me and we went around and the safety car picked us up about halfway between turn 2 and 3.

When we were going back to green it said not to pass the safety car until it entered pitlane. At least that's what I thought it said. Are you allowed to pass as it first enters the pitlane? I waited until it was completely in the pitlane before I accelerated.
The delta should pop up on the upper right if similar to previous years like a virtual safety car. If you don't use the hud maybe it doesn't show up 🤷 I do know in 2020 if you already told Jeff to shut up he won't let you know about it lol

Edit- just came across a local yellow in 2020 and set a fast sector time without penalty so only overtaking is not allowed.

Last edited:
What wheel rotation setting are you guys using? I’m using currently using 320. I heard a lot of the pros use 300, so I may try that out.

The delta should pop up on the upper right if similar to previous years like a virtual safety car. If you don't use the hud maybe it doesn't show up 🤷 I do know in 2020 if you already told Jeff to shut up he won't let you know about it lol

Edit- just came across a local yellow in 2020 and set a fast sector time without penalty so only overtaking is not allowed.
Apparently in 2021 the default is no HUD because that's the way it was when I first tried the game and I've just left it that way.

At the start of the race I wanted to change to the alternate pit strategy. But at the lap I was supposed to come in they didn't call me in. What happened was it went back to the original pit stop strategy. This is the second time it's ignored my pit stop choice. Has this happened to anyone else?

Okay so i want to get back into f1 again and the best game out there for it honestly is the cm series games. I don’t want to go back to sim level AC type racing but just go out and have fun in career mode and online. I’d like to pick up 2021 but I’m worried 2022 will come out soon and multiplayer is just going to die.

I’d be playing on PC so I’m not sure how many lobbies are typically open… anyone have insight?

And can you use TrackIR on the pc version?

Best entry level whele/pedal setup? Don’t wanna blow too much on it tbh because it’s only going to be for weekend playing.

Last edited:
Okay so i want to get back into f1 again and the best game out there for it honestly is the cm series games. I don’t want to go back to sim level AC type racing but just go out and have fun in career mode and online. I’d like to pick up 2021 but I’m worried 2022 will come out soon and multiplayer is just going to die.

I’d be playing on PC so I’m not sure how many lobbies are typically open… anyone have insight?

And can you use TrackIR on the pc version?

Best entry level whele/pedal setup? Don’t wanna blow too much on it tbh because it’s only going to be for weekend playing.
F1 2022 probably will not come out until July 2022. June at the earliest I think. So you still got 8-9 good months ahead.

Lobbies are pretty much open 24/7. Of course not all lobbies will suit your taste, but then you can make your own. Or do ranked lobbies and try get into the A/S safety ranks. Pretty good racing there.

Logitech G27/G29/G923 or the likes, or like a Thrustmaster T150/T300 are probably your best entry wheels and pedals for a decent price.

As for TrackIR, I think you can use the Tobii Eye tracker thingy, but don't quote me on it. I've never used it myself, and probably never will. :rolleyes:

At the start of the race I wanted to change to the alternate pit strategy. But at the lap I was supposed to come in they didn't call me in. What happened was it went back to the original pit stop strategy. This is the second time it's ignored my pit stop choice. Has this happened to anyone else?
Yeah it has happened to me a few times, but I mostly just adjust my pit strat on the fly if that happens.

F1 2022 probably will not come out until July 2022. June at the earliest I think. So you still got 8-9 good months ahead.

Lobbies are pretty much open 24/7. Of course not all lobbies will suit your taste, but then you can make your own. Or do ranked lobbies and try get into the A/S safety ranks. Pretty good racing there.

Logitech G27/G29/G923 or the likes, or like a Thrustmaster T150/T300 are probably your best entry wheels and pedals for a decent price.

As for TrackIR, I think you can use the Tobii Eye tracker thingy, but don't quote me on it. I've never used it myself, and probably never will. :rolleyes:

Yeah it has happened to me a few times, but I mostly just adjust my pit strat on the fly if that happens.
The first time it happened I did make the manual call to pit but couldn't figure out how to choose the tire I wanted and ended up getting put on the hards and ended up getting smoked by the other front runners that were on softs. Do you have the option within that pop up menu to choose compounds?

The first time it happened I did make the manual call to pit but couldn't figure out how to choose the tire I wanted and ended up getting put on the hards and ended up getting smoked by the other front runners that were on softs. Do you have the option within that pop up menu to choose compounds?
Yeah, you press whatever button you use to get the fuel menu, then press to the next one. There you can see tire choice and choose whichever you want.

However, I prefer the voice command with the race engineer. "Set mediums" or "Set softs". Works fine for me. I know voice commands doesnt always work for everyone.

And from absolutely nowhere. Imola is live now, along with the new Red Bull tribute livery. There’s also a mass of fixed for multiplayer and single player along with other livery updates and tweaks.

Last edited:
It's a shame the livery is only available until the 15th November.

I don't quite understand the reasoning for that unless Red Bull asked for it to be limited time, since I don't own the game I'll just have to save off some pics of it from the web for wallpaper purposes.

Red Bull's special Honda tribute livery is coming to F1 2021 next week.

Yeah. Just caught it on GTPlanet news and I'm a bit disappointed:"Interestingly, this livery is “time-limited” in F1 2021. It’s available now, in this update, but a subsequent update will remove it, so be sure to get all of your photomode shots of the car done in short order."
I thought we already reached the peak of stupidity but no, they always surprise us. What's the point of removing it in a subsequent update???!!!

And from absolutely nowhere. Imola is live now, along with the new Red Bull tribute livery. There’s also a mass of fixed for multiplayer and single player along with other livery updates and tweaks.

Watch me fishtail that AlphaTauri on the final turn :D

What's the point of removing it in a subsequent update???!!!
There's lots of reasons (which I won't go into here), you can have a guess at some of them if you like.
Bear in mind that in the real-world it was a one-off.

Last edited:
I was able to change pit strategies before a race this time. They might have fixed that issue in this update.

EDIT I think something is still wrong with the pit strategies. At the start of each race I always look at the strategy just to know what lap I'm coming in on and if I'm sticking with the suggested one. Yesterday I looked at it and the primary was a one stop which was ok with me. But I got the call to pit a couple of laps earlier. What it did was it switched over to the alternate pit strategy instead of going with the primary.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had trouble with a lot of false downshifts in F2? It's really making it hard to drive these cars.
Yup. I was complaining about it since day 1 and saying they don’t behave the same as they did in F1 2019 or F1 2020 but was ignored and told it was “by-design” due to the over-rev protection. Not sure if it’s true or not but it made them horrendous to drive in the game compared to before. Gave up complaining in the end and stopped using the F2 cars in this years game.

Yup. I was complaining about it since day 1 and saying they don’t behave the same as they did in F1 2019 or F1 2020 but was ignored and told it was “by-design” due to the over-rev protection. Not sure if it’s true or not but it made them horrendous to drive in the game compared to before. Gave up complaining in the end and stopped using the F2 cars in this years game.
I tried not downshifting until the revs were lower but it doesn't help. Yeah I think I will just let the F2 cars go until I see an update that addresses the issue which probably will never come anyway.

I'm also struggling with tire strategy. If I'm using a team other than Mercedes or Red Bull, to have a shot at Q3 I have to use softs. But Mercedes and or Red Bull will use mediums. Then in the race they will just go medium to soft and run away from me because I'm going from softs to the hard compound. I'm running the AI at 60 the same as I did in F1 2020. In F1 2020 I could hold them off even if they were on softs. Maybe it's an issue that the AI is a little stronger than last year and the performance gap between the compounds is greater than last year.

Last edited:
Still not enough of a 'deal' for me but F1 2021 is 40% off this week on PSN ending on 10/11/2021 and I am sure may be on other consoles too...

Last edited:
My Myteam update : Hamilton won the first season,and then Bottas took the 2nd season. Into the 3rd Season,Bottas leads again and Hamilton seems to be fading. I hired Latifi after firing Zhou,who only managed 2 points for me in Season 2 haha. I finished 8th,just beating Sainz.

I lost out on a bidding war for Tsunoda - and he looks to have great pace this season for Alpha Tauri! He just took his first race win at Azerbaijan - he looks like he could be a top driver soon. Surely i need to hire him next season if he keeps this up.

I took my maiden win in the first race of the season at Bahrain,and ive just took my 2nd win at Austria. Im hoping to break into maybe the top 6 this season.

Ive never seen the AI do this before - just ran a fully wet British GP and Perez made NO pitstops to cling on to win!! Verstappen did the same but he spun out with 2 laps to go hehe. I take it thats within the regulations?!

Ive never seen the AI do this before - just ran a fully wet British GP and Perez made NO pitstops to cling on to win!! Verstappen did the same but he spun out with 2 laps to go hehe. I take it thats within the regulations?!
Yes, if the race starts with the Intermediates or Wets and you can go the full distance, you do not have to make a pit stop.

Basically, wet race = no mandatory pit stop.

Back