F1 22 Trailer Reveals First Look at Miami International Circuit, Teases Supercars

• Thread starter Famine
  • 64 comments
Will be waiting for others opinions and game footage after launch on this one.

Big year for this title, and I'm not expecting them to deliver.

Hearing this game was running on the '21's engine w/ just the new cars & some updates here and there is a bit of a turn off but I might've also gotten a little too hyped reading comments elsewhere. Think I'll wait for the reviews & possibly a sale before buying.

I haven't played nor purchased an F1 game since 2018. Have I missed much? Are things mostly still the same or has it improved ever so slightly?

I'd imagine there's still no official graphical overlays in the officially licensed Formula One game, huh?

They showed the McLaren at the end, not sure what model.
1651601541084.jpeg

1651601607403.jpeg

At the Grand Prix events. Thought Codemasters were reintroducing the franchise.
1651601688202.jpeg

1651601769558.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven't played nor purchased an F1 game since 2018. Have I missed much? Are things mostly still the same or has it improved ever so slightly?

I'd imagine there's still no official graphical overlays in the officially licensed Formula One game, huh?
2020 is probably the most polished of the PS4 / XB1 era, solid handling, good stable graphics, classic cars, working multiplayer and the introduction of MyTeam the team management mode that is much loved.

All the old problems are still there and no, no official broadcast overlay but if you're looking for the best F1 experience, that's going to be it.

2021 was a mess in comparison, walked back improvements to graphics, game when playing can feel unstable, multiplayer was broken on launch and never fixed, classic cars were removed entirely, as were quality of life features such as running multiple championships at once (with a championship mode itself gutted of its features) and felt like it was made by a completely different team.

It did have co-op career which a few people did enjoy, though.

22 is not looking like we're getting anything beyond what we've seen already minus some pointless supercars that we can play in better games.

Last edited:
It looks okay. If I buy it , it will probably be when it is on sale. I do like Champions version pic with drivers though

2020 is probably the most polished of the PS4 / XB1 era, solid handling, good stable graphics, classic cars, working multiplayer and the introduction of MyTeam the team management mode that is much loved.

All the old problems are still there and no, no official broadcast overlay but if you're looking for the best F1 experience, that's going to be it.

2021 was a mess in comparison, walked back improvements to graphics, game when playing can feel unstable, multiplayer was broken on launch and never fixed, classic cars were removed entirely, as were quality of life features such as running multiple championships at once (with a championship mode itself gutted of its features) and felt like it was made by a completely different team.

It did have co-op career which a few people did enjoy, though.

22 is not looking like we're getting anything beyond what we've seen already minus some pointless supercars that we can play in better games.
This pretty much sums it up. I put some 400 hours into 2020 and barely scratched up 50 with 2021. 2020 was excellent, especially with My team, 2021, aside from what was mentioned above, just didn't push this forward enough, felt like too much of a rehash. Also not having all the circuits from the start somewhat blunted the experience.
View attachment 1146024
View attachment 1146026

At the Grand Prix events. Thought Codemasters were reintroducing the franchise.
View attachment 1146031
View attachment 1146033
Ok, not the first thing that'll come to the mind of many. Is that what you were actually expecting? Honest question.

"Live the life of an F1 driver, by racing V8 Supercars in a totally unrelated to F1 way".

I know this doesn't make sense because you'd rather "new things" get added over the same game, but it's like borderline offensive they took the time to build in supercars that you drive (in time trial) on an F1 track instead of improving the, you know, F1 part of the game.

Really hoping I'm wrong.

This pretty much sums it up. I put some 400 hours into 2020 and barely scratched up 50 with 2021. 2020 was excellent, especially with My team, 2021, aside from what was mentioned above, just didn't push this forward enough, felt like too much of a rehash. Also not having all the circuits from the start somewhat blunted the experience.

Ok, not the first thing that'll come to the mind of many. Is that what you were actually expecting? Honest question.

"Live the life of an F1 driver, by racing V8 Supercars in a totally unrelated to F1 way".
(V8)Supercars have been a support category to F1 for many years and at some overseas events with F1. Same as Carrera Cup. Seeing how Codemasters made past V8 Supercars games and the rebranding of V8 Supercars to just plain Supercars, it’s not without merit.

The title didn’t read “Supercars“ Championship, but piecing those two series together isn’t illogical. However, why add road cars and not link official support categories to this game?

(V8)Supercars have been a support category to F1 for many years and at some overseas events with F1. Same as Carrera Cup. Seeing how Codemasters made past V8 Supercars games and the rebranding of V8 Supercars to just plain Supercars, it’s not without merit.

The title didn’t read “Supercars“ Championship, but piecing those two series together isn’t illogical. However, why add road cars and not link official support categories to this game?
Support category being used in the very thinnest possible term here. The odd race here and there does not a support category make. The Porsche Supercup, exclusively races on F1 weekends, V8 Supercars does not. Not even 1 a season and when it does go alongside F1 at Melbourne, it isn't even a championship event.

So no, I and many others would not associate the Australian Supercars Championship with F1.

Support category being used in the very thinnest possible term here. The odd race here and there does not a support category make. The Porsche Supercup, exclusively races on F1 weekends, V8 Supercars does not. Not even 1 a season and when it does go alongside F1 at Melbourne, it isn't even a championship event.

So no, I and many others would not associate the Australian Supercars Championship with F1.
Umm, Supercars at the Melbourne GP IS a points paying championship event. It’s been for a few years since 2018.

Try not so hard to refute my opinion. Just because you and many others don’t pay attention to the Supercars Championship.

I see no reason why they'd make a game about the Supercars Championship or feature those cars in an F1 game. It's an extremely niche championship that's only relevant in 1 country. And no, they never made a V8 Supercars game. They made a multi-discipline game that they rebranded for certain markets (same with DTM in Germany). That was a marketing exercise that required a minisc investment, especially compared to making a whole separate game mode with unique physics and all the licensing.

I see no reason why they'd make a game about the Supercars Championship or feature those cars in an F1 game. It's an extremely niche championship that's only relevant in 1 country. And no, they never made a V8 Supercars game. They made a multi-discipline game that they rebranded for certain markets (same with DTM in Germany). That was a marketing exercise that required a minisc investment, especially compared to making a whole separate game mode with unique physics and all the licensing.
Despite whatever markets. Then, what’s this say on the cover? I think I see “Codemasters” at the bottom. Did they make it or not?
1651614762162.jpeg

Seriously, why coming so hard on something I had a thought about. Why so hard to try and Delete what I’m saying?

Why the road cars then? Is it because Zak Brown wanted his McLarens in the game? Famine may have more answers when more info becomes available. Jimini Cricket. It ain’t a big deal. For real.

Despite whatever markets. Then, what’s this say on the cover? I think I see “Codemasters” at the bottom. Did they make it or not?
View attachment 1146094
Ummm, that's exactly what they were talking about. That's TOCA Race Driver 1, which has multi-discipline racing in it, and isn't just focused on the V8s. The name changed depending on the region; we got it as just "Pro Race Driver" in the US, "DTM Race Driver" in Germany, and ^ for Australia.

Anyways, In regards to the trailer, I'm...curious, I guess? I usually don't go for licensed racing titles, but I tend to keep an eye on how things are leading up to the release. The supercar "mode" is probably a gimmick more for the sake of marketing than anything else. I imagine that Ferrari, McLaren, Aston and Mercedes are going to be incredibly keen on how their production cars are portrayed here (assuming cars from each brand are present), so I have a feeling it won't be a particularly deep addition. Also, I'm pretty sure there was a NASCAR game in the 2000s that had you partake in street races with supercars you earned in your career?

So.. I guess there's no shift to Unreal Engine.. and it continues to look meh
Was there any mention of Codies moving to Unreal for the F1 games? I have a hard time seeing how they'd be able to keep up the yearly F1 schedule if they switched to a completely new engine.

Last edited:
So.. I guess there's no shift to Unreal Engine.. and it continues to look meh
I still remember the studio heads being interviewed for F1 2015 to be released on the (then) brand new PS4. How they were hyping up that it was such a huge step-up, almost photorealistic & defining all the incredible improvements we'd see.

Then it released & it was a barely noticeable difference to 2014 & has since only had very minor improvements each year.

We could have something far, far better. They just can't let go of the yearly release system (no wonder EA bought Codemasters) to instead, take a year or two off & build a long needed new engine. Say what you want about Forza, but they're taking the time to build a new Motorsport engine.

View attachment 1146094
Seriously, why coming so hard on something I had a thought about. Why so hard to try and Delete what I’m saying?

Why the road cars then? Is it because Zak Brown wanted his McLarens in the game? Famine may have more answers when more info becomes available. Jimini Cricket. It ain’t a big deal. For real.

It’s literally Toca Race Driver rebranded for the Australian market. Same content inside, just different packaging. Again, minimal investment and effort compared to introducing a whole new car category to an F1 game. The series was already in, whether you bought it as Toca, DTM, or V8SC.

As to why they introduced road cars? I’m not entirely sure myself, but supercar road cars at least have a worldwide appeal, so I guess that investment made sense to them.

Last edited:
It’s literally Toca Race Driver rebranded for the Australian market. Same content inside, just different packaging. Again, minimal investment and effort compared to introducing a whole new car category to an F1 game. The series was already in, whether you bought it as Toca, DTM, or V8SC.

As to why they introduced road cars? I’m not entirely sure myself, but supercar road cars at least have a worldwide appeal, so I guess that investment made sense to them.
I just said that and acknowledged the markets. I bought all the Toca Games since the first. My point is Codemasters made the game. And to add to the point, this F1 game is adding cars that are not F1. So, it’s the same as they’ve done in the past with the TOCA games… again, adding cars that are not F1.
Besides, (V8)Supercars has worldwide appeal. Just because everyone doesn’t watch it, just as well many don’t watch F1. Regardless of how many watch each series. That’s not what this whole argument thing was about. But if we’re going to bring out measuring tapes, it’s got enough appeal for an F1 owner to be a part owner of a current Supercars team and for the term it was, Penske was involved as well. If that ain’t worldwide enough, not sure how much bigger you can get than that.

Also, I'm pretty sure there was a NASCAR game in the 2000s that had you partake in street races with supercars you earned in your career?
That would be correct. It was NASCAR 2005, but the cars drove exactly like the Cup cars so it didn't change things too much. I don't think the team at EA Tiburon bothered much with it rather than it being licensing issues.

Was there any mention of Codies moving to Unreal for the F1 games? I have a hard time seeing how they'd be able to keep up the yearly F1 schedule if they switched to a completely new engine.
I haven't seen anything about it but it might have been in the rumor mill. If going to Unreal is planned, I don't think it will happen until the PS4 and XB1 versions are dropped, so next year at the earliest but I think 2024 is more plausible.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back