F1 '23 - General Discussion

I do really like the 35% length race. I spoke too soon about the low speed spinouts being a thing of the past because, they're baaaaccck. I also really can't understand how the car just cannot make the very low speed hairpin type turns. I ran Canada tonight and the hairpin and turn 2 were a nightmare. The car wants to keep pushing to the left regardless of how slow I'm trying to turn. It's so bizarre.

Anyway, I need help:

I finished the race 10th but was credited for a 6th place finish. I looked under race incidents and didn't see that anybody was penalized for anything so I'm not sure what happened.

How did I jump 4 spots? Is that a bug? Did something strange happen during the red flags that I missed? There was nothing listed under race incidents 🤷
Yes the Red Flags are bugged currently:

"The race then restarts from the grid in the order that it was when the red flag dropped. That's great. However, it seems like the game doesn't recognise the rest of the race as having happened.

Once you cross the finish line, whatever happened from the restart to then is forgotten, and standings revert to what they were when the red flag occured."

It will apparently be fixed in the first update.

Yes the Red Flags are bugged currently:

"The race then restarts from the grid in the order that it was when the red flag dropped. That's great. However, it seems like the game doesn't recognise the rest of the race as having happened.

Once you cross the finish line, whatever happened from the restart to then is forgotten, and standings revert to what they were when the red flag occured."

It will apparently be fixed in the first update.
Thank you for the quick reply. It was driving me nuts. I can't believe I didn't know about this bug.

That makes perfect sense because I was definitely in 6th place when the red flag dropped.

Anyone been able to get their results saved in this weekends Canadian GP multiplayer event? Done it 3 times and get an error saving results screen each time.

Small thing I noticed is that after the race is over, the driver of the day will show but in post race commentary the commentator will name someone else. In F1 22 they always matched.

Tested a little bit yesterday. The handling is way better than last year. I can now drive with no TC again without spinning out. So that's good.

The UI is still inexplicably bad. I don't understand why everything must be buried under a gazillion levels of menus. They should have a much flatter structure and put more options on the same screen.
Also, no mouse support. Though that doesn't come as a big surprise at this point.

Small thing I noticed is that after the race is over, the driver of the day will show but in post race commentary the commentator will name someone else. In F1 22 they always matched.
It's kind of weird. "Hey, you won the race after starting in 5th and we'll show your driver's picture, but Ant thinks the guy who started 18th and finished 18th drove a steady race to be our Driver Of The Day!"

Been enjoying the game so far and been working my way through the F2 season before starting the main F1 driver career - thought I’d go back as the past 2 games I’d gone the MyTeam route.

One weird thing I noticed, not sure if anyone else can confirm if I’m wrong, but for me the F2 calendar seems out of sequence. For me Imola and Spain were races 6 and 7, coming after the British GP? Pretty sure they should have been earlier in the calendar and between Jeddah and Monaco, very weird.

Been enjoying the game so far and been working my way through the F2 season before starting the main F1 driver career - thought I’d go back as the past 2 games I’d gone the MyTeam route.

One weird thing I noticed, not sure if anyone else can confirm if I’m wrong, but for me the F2 calendar seems out of sequence. For me Imola and Spain were races 6 and 7, coming after the British GP? Pretty sure they should have been earlier in the calendar and between Jeddah and

One weird thing I noticed, not sure if anyone else can confirm if I’m wrong, but for me the F2 calendar seems out of sequence. For me Imola and Spain were races 6 and 7, coming after the British GP? Pretty sure they should have been earlier in the calendar and between Jeddah and Monaco, very weird.
2023 calendar? Are the F2 cars last year's or this year's?

Is there no way to do a ride along with an AI driver on full screen? The game only gives you the right half of the screen, and not even that.

It's hard to see everything and I'd like to learn from their laps

Last edited:
2023 calendar? Are the F2 cars last year's or this year's?
Usually you have the prior years F2 season which leads into the current years F1. They usually add this years F2 drivers and cars in a later patch a few months after release, pretty sure they’ve been doing this since they introduced them in F1 2019.

I know some of the earlier seasons were affected by covid, resulting in 3 races at the same track and shorter calendar, but swear somethings off with the order of races for what would have been the 2022 F2 season. Not a major deal but Imola and Spain do appear to be out of sequence from the order they were raced last year from what I can tell. Not a big deal but just seems odd. The wet tyre being the default tyre in practice sessions is a bit more of an annoyance, as you have to set it to the dry compound and only one available.

Currently half way through the F2 championship at the moment but despite having safety car and red flags turned on I haven’t had a since one of either, had the odd yellow flag but nothing more. Mind you, I played through a full season of MyTeam on last years game and didn’t get a single safety car despite being turned on. Maybe I should set them both to ‘increased’, but would have thought standard would have been a bit more realistic. Has anyone else had this?

I haven’t seen anything about Codies running the 22 F2 on release with 23 F2 to be added later in the year like previous games, that’s why I’m wondering if this is the 23 F2 season right from the get go.

Last edited:
Nah it's not, I imagine it'll be the same as usual with 2023 coming later.

What would have been really nice this year (especially with it being in Braking Point) is if they included the 2022 F1 season in championship/single race etc, so you could play through two seasons of it. With the new handling and physics it would have been good to be able to have both seasons. They did that last in 2015 and the MotoGP games used to do it as well.

I haven’t seen anything about Codies running the 22 F2 on release with 23 F2 to be added later in the year like previous games, that’s why I’m wondering if this is the 23 F2 season right from the get go.
22 cars are in there now.

23 cars will come eventually.

Reason: Getting all the reference data for the teams and drivers takes a bit longer than it does for F1 as there are more cars/drivers and they don’t have a “reveal season” in February like the F1 teams do.

22 cars are in there now.

23 cars will come eventually.

Reason: Getting all the reference data for the teams and drivers takes a bit longer than it does for F1 as there are more cars/drivers and they don’t have a “reveal season” in February like the F1 teams do.
Thanks for your reply and for clearing that up. Are the 22 F2 cars doing the 23 F2 calendar? Another poster mentioned they are doing the F2 season in F1 23 but the calendar is incorrect for 22 F2.

There's something really weird going on with the OSD menu. When I went into my first practice I could see and select the OSD customization menu item. But now it's not there anymore under practice. It's not even there when I go out to the main menu and select Settings. It was present under another race category (Career, F1 World, Grand Prix, can't remember where exactly) but there it was greyed out and couldn't be selected. I had to go into a race to be able to both see and select that menu item.
Surely this must be a bug? There's no logical reason why it shouldn't be accessible anywhere and at any time?

There's something really weird going on with the OSD menu. When I went into my first practice I could see and select the OSD customization menu item. But now it's not there anymore under practice. It's not even there when I go out to the main menu and select Settings. It was present under another race category (Career, F1 World, Grand Prix, can't remember where exactly) but there it was greyed out and couldn't be selected. I had to go into a race to be able to both see and select that menu item.
Surely this must be a bug? There's no logical reason why it shouldn't be accessible anywhere and at any time?
It's not a bug it's been like that since the feature was added.

You can select it while on track as then it can display the options on the track for you. Whereas in main settings etc. it can't.

The ai need a little buff for race starts, it’s way to easy right now.
I use assisted starts but this is too assisted right now. I flew up to the lead from 4th on one race start, that shouldn't happen. F1 22 had the best assisted start. I could still screw it up if I wasn't careful but I didn't fly by the other cars.

I use assisted starts but this is too assisted right now. I flew up to the lead from 4th on one race start, that shouldn't happen. F1 22 had the best assisted start. I could still screw it up if I wasn't careful but I didn't fly by the other cars.
I’m playing at 90 ai with no assists and I’m blowing by the 2 cars ahead of me in 1st gear most of the time. If I use the overtake button then I can get a huge run on most of the other ones too.

The AI have really slow starts sometimes and a bunch of cars will get checked up behind them as well. Watching the replays the ai seem reluctant to pass slow starters.

Last edited:
It's not a bug it's been like that since the feature was added.

You can select it while on track as then it can display the options on the track for you. Whereas in main settings etc. it can't.
Ah so you can only see it when on track. I tried it from the pits but that didn't work.
Thanks!

Am I wrong in remembering that on 20 and 21 you could get customisation stuff just by completing the free podium pass? I've seen nothing on this new one but 'parts' and other upgrade stuff, all the customisation seems locked in the pay areas.

I know I skipped last year and didn't play much 21 so maybe I missed the gradual build up but man it feels really in your face this year.

Am I wrong in remembering that on 20 and 21 you could get customisation stuff just by completing the free podium pass? I've seen nothing on this new one but 'parts' and other upgrade stuff, all the customisation seems locked in the pay areas.

I know I skipped last year and didn't play much 21 so maybe I missed the gradual build up but man it feels really in your face this year.
For Series 1 all the F1 World content is in the free tier. This is to ensure the Podium Pass isn’t “pay to win”.

That’s why the VIP tier is all customisation items instead.

Sometimes there’s individual F1 World events that give you special customisation items. Last week there was one to give the McLaren Triple Crown livery.

Last edited:
For Series 1 all the F1 World content is in the free tier. This is to ensure the Podium Pass isn’t “pay to win”.

That’s why the VIP tier is all customisation items instead.
They could have done this while also including some cosmetic items could they not?

It’s cool that the AI seem much more fallible than in previous games
I did my first race on MyTeam career mode and on the third lap Charles Leclerc spun out at turn 8, was stuck in the middle of the track with oncoming cars and then got collected by Oscar Piastri who failed to consider even the notion of using the ****ing brakes
My first Safety Car after a grand total of two full laps completed

Last edited:
When you ride on board with an AI driver there are two problems:

1. It's less than half the screen so it's not that easy to see the begin with

2. I think there's something wrong with the lighting because it always looks dark

I mentioned it earlier but I'm bringing it up again hoping somebody new might see it and a half an answer to how to fix it.

Is there any chance when we do an onboard with an AI driver that EA can make it full screen?

When you ride on board with an AI driver there are two problems:

1. It's less than half the screen so it's not that easy to see the begin with

2. I think there's something wrong with the lighting because it always looks dark

I mentioned it earlier but I'm bringing it up again hoping somebody new might see it and a half an answer to how to fix it.

Is there any chance when we do an onboard with an AI driver that EA can make it full screen?
I don’t know if you can during the sessions themselves. But usually during the race replay you can toggle between yourself and the other drivers onboards and views to get the full screen view of their races and incidents.

Been playing the game for years but never seen any other way of seeing what the AI are doing during the live session, eg practice or quali, when watching them on track through the main screen when you’re in the garage.

Back