F1 Game Development License Rumors

• Thread starter icelt
  • 62 comments
It would be epic if the F1C was included in GT5. I doubt it will unfortunatly. But all this on the fly TC and BB adjustment just adds to the hints.

Imagine Monaco on GT5...wow..

I think PD coud add the Honda RA107 and the TF107, but i wonder how the private teams will be in the game.

double salary of every PD employee and ask them to put all the F1 in GT5... easy!

:D

I mean, surely PD dont need the FIA F1 license to recreate the cars, because if the cars belong to the manufacturers, like the Ferrari, surely they could just go to each team and say please. Same with the tracks, they dont need the FIA license to get Silverstone and so on, obviously as Suzuka and Fuji are already present in the game, I think its only Melbourne they wouldnt be able to get..

Then in game create a fictional Super GP championship or something:P

All I'll say is "please...someone else step up and make one..."

Sick of F1 games where the AI seems programmed to specifically fail to acknowledge there's 22 cars on the track, not 21. And some crash equality would be nice...I'd quite like to know that other cars can get damaged if we collide rather than I have to retire and they drive off scot-free.

The only problem with PD doing it as an ingame thing such as on GT is it just wouldn't be realistic enough...sure the AI and driving would probably be better... But drivers...damage or lack of...various other more complicated parts of F1...

Sick of F1 games where the AI seems programmed to specifically fail to acknowledge there's 22 cars on the track, not 21. And some crash equality would be nice...I'd quite like to know that other cars can get damaged if we collide rather than I have to retire and they drive off scot-free.

Have you actually played F1:CE?

No, I just post here for the fun of it.
[/sarcasm]

I own it and I've played it. The whole AI thing is mostly backed up in my last 18 races... 3 finishes and 15 DNFs. 4 component failures, 2 crashes that were my fault and 9 because the AI seem to think I'm invisible and that the "crash equality" sent me into a spin and a barrier and they drove off without even the slightest change in direction or speed.

Although its far to early the say GT5 wont have damage so that one can be on hold. And if sony have the rights and PD put it into GT5, then it will definately have the drivers.

Just imagine the pit scenes, would look soooo good:P

I own it and I've played it. The whole AI thing is mostly backed up in my last 18 races... 3 finishes and 15 DNFs. 4 component failures, 2 crashes that were my fault and 9 because the AI seem to think I'm invisible and that the "crash equality" sent me into a spin and a barrier and they drove off without even the slightest change in direction or speed.

Yes, it happens to all of us: it probably means you're driving too aggressively in heavy traffic. In that sense, I think F1:CE is quite realistic - pushing recklessly through corners IRL would result in many crashes & DNFs. IMO the AI seems very aware that you're there: AI cars actively move out of your way when you're coming through in most cases, - often unrealistically so. Crashes are usually the result of pushing it just too far.

Damage from contact seems fairly "equal". One of the parties always emerges "amazingly" with minor damage, while the other one is totalled. Sometimes this is me, sometimes it is the AI. I would agree that the AI cars do often seem to recover course from contact & spins too easily.

IMO one of the great things about F1:CE is that if you choose to play Career mode with no restarts, you have a very realistic & punishing damage model, which forces you to drive conservatively, unlike most racing games which allow you to race through the field like a maniac in a way that is totally unrealistic.

gutted that studio liverpool arent doin F1 anymore. I heard about this first from my mate who works there. Its basically due to Mr Eccelstone!!!

He wants way to much £££££££ to run the licence and doesnt seem to care about the way the game is to the fans.

Personally for F1 games GP4 (Geoff C) was the best ever for PC, F1CE was the best console version. And Nascar 2003 by Sierra was the best Nascar game made, EA dont have a clue how to make a decent racing sim. :(

Posted this a couple days ago in the PS3 general discussion thread, but JIC the F1:CE watchers missed it. Basically late last week IGN hinted that their interview with Kaz of PD may have produced some tangible insight as to the future of the F1 license on the console, turned out to be a big CT naturally:

Meh, nothing new revealed :grumpy:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/864/864502p1.html

IGN: You've got the F2007 in Prologue, and a lot of people would love to see Polyphony work on a Formula 1 title in the future. Is that something you'd be interested in?

Kazunori Yamauchi: The F2007 is currently I think the most precise simulation of an F1 car in existence, and I think it's something that everyone should try out. We've had to implement a lot of new physics into the game, and a lot of mechanisms that we had left out before that we had to add to simulate the car properly, and it's something we're looking forward to having everyone experience. As for F1, of course we've always wanted to add more F1 cars, and to make an F1 game, but we haven't made any movement to acquiring the license, so there's no set timeline for it yet, but it's something we're looking at.

He says it is something they are looking into so thats a positive sign.

Although I think there is no real indication that EA have the licence so I think the name of this thread should be changed so as not to confuse guests and new members.

He says it is something they are looking into so thats a positive sign.

Although I think there is no real indication that EA have the licence so I think the name of this thread should be changed so as not to confuse guests and new members.

Against the year+ of mostly speculation and almost zero hard facts, yeah that is relatively positive I guess.

Good point on the thread title, it's now been fixord.

Awright, MORE speculation for those of us who just can't get enough :rolleyes:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=34508[/COLOR]
Is Bernie doing the maths?

14/04/2008

Fanatical followers of F1 will have noticed that the sport is missing one of its marketing tools this year – the official videogame which last graced Sony's PlayStation 3 games console in 2007 with the teams from the previous season. Usually the F1 games come out every year but with no new edition this year we went undercover to find out what was going on.

According to sources close to Sony, the Japanese electronics giant is locked in negotiations with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone who is said to be “playing hardball” over the fee for renewing the contract. In other words, he seems to be looking for more money but this didn't seem to make much sense.

Sony's previous contract was a five-year deal which expired in 2007 and cost the company $15 million per year. It takes Sony's 45-strong development team around 10 months to produce the game so with no deal on the horizon it looks very unlikely it would be able to get a new version out for the start of the 2009 season.

If the previous videogame deal had rolled over, the F1 Group would have got $15 million per year for 2008 and 2009 whereas in fact it stands to pocket nothing. Just to make up that combined $30 million Bernie would have to add an extra $6 million per year to a new five-year deal. It seems that Bernie is setting the bar higher for himself but in the meantime the sport is losing out.

With no comic strip, cartoon or cuddly toy drivers, the videogame has been F1's flagship when it comes to reaching out to children. With the Mosley scandal making F1 an even tougher marketing proposition for kids this is the last thing it needed.

After all, the kids of today are the fans of tomorrow...

This is quite amusing. Sony had a five year deal to produce the official F1 game. The license fee was $15 million per year and the deal ran out with the 2007 version. But it has not been renewed yet so there is no 2008 version and with game development lead times there is unlikely to be a 2009 version.

The reason is that Bernie Ecclestome wants more for the license. He feels that $15 million per year is not enough, whilst Sony think that it is quite sufficient. Now maybe Bernie thinks that he can play Sony off against Microsoft. But Microsoft is an American company and Americans don’t have F1 as part of their culture, they prefer the rather crude NASCAR racing. Whereas Sony is a Japanese company and F1 is massive in Japan.

bernie-ecclestone.jpg

The funny thing about this is that Bernie has now lost $30 million by not having the game for two years. Not a lot to him, maybe, but he will have to sign a new five year deal at $6 million more per year just to recoup this loss. So that means he has to get $21 million a year just to be back to where he was before. Good luck to him.

In the meantime F1 suffers. The F1 game was an impressive marketing tool for the sport. Every year it got the message of F1 over to many millions of people. Some of those will be children who may well become lifetime F1 followers as a result of playing this game.

When I worked at Codemasters, Jim Darling, the chairman, always resented paying license fees to use brands in our games. He always thought that they should be paying us for the advertising they were getting. Now with in game product placement and in game advertising this is starting to come true. But I doubt if Bernie is going to pay Sony to make a game any time soon.

source

Now this sucks:grumpy:

Bernie let us have a F1 game !
Hopefully sony get the license, maybe they can combine it with Gran Turismo staff to improve it! but if not hopefully a all platformer will get the license but no EA! :(

Does anyone know who made the 1999 version for the PS1. I use to play that a lot and it was brilliant considering it was PS1. It had weather forecasts, safety cars and pretty good physics and is to this day my favorite version, which I no longer have :(.

Is this DEFINITE? We seem to have gone around in circles for so long with this.

Hopes of some kind of collaboration between PD & Studio Liverpool to produce the ultimate F1 game are dashed... :(

On the other hand: IT WILL HAVE LEWIS HAMILTON (or at least a tiny bobbing helmet enclosing the imaginary head of Lewis Hamilton) IN IT! :rolleyes:

Back