F1 Returns to USA - COTA - Bring on 2013!!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 575 comments
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!

Only two and a half hours away instead like 20 to Indianapolis!

Austin really is an amazing city, I never even thought about any race series going there, but it makes a lot of sense.

So they're making a new track?

Hopefully it isn't as vanilla as most of the new tracks have been.

I wouldn't mind it being there, it would only be a 2 day road trip just like Montreal(which I hope to go to in the coming years).

Oh it's great to hear that the F1 race's to be held in USA again like it had once been done there, it would be nice to watch the race at a different place in America :)

Last edited:
Coming from europe, I enjoy Formula One! So this is great news... especially for Austin, i would love to visit this city i keep on hearing about... and to show my girlfriend what motorsport really means... now that's coming to America...

But one bad thing for me is: Austin is where my girlfriend's Ex is living...

what a dilemna... :ill: :S

Also confirmed on the official site:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/5/10824.html

Quite an unexpected location, but I happily support a new track being built when there is no suitable existing venue apart from Indy. 👍
Shame its not a street circuit though, the US was always good for those. Hopefully they can come up with a decent layout like Malaysia, I like the idea of the US GP being a fast track rather than being especially twisty, though its difficult to make it fast and good for overtaking without resorting to straights and hairpins.

DUDE!!! Wa Wa Wa Wut!!!! MY BACKYARD!!!!!!!!!👍👍👍

*crawls out from under rock*

How ON EARTH did they keep this under wraps? :dunce::crazy:

(I just cried alittle....)

Coming from europe, I enjoy Formula One! So this is great news... especially for Austin, i would love to visit this city i keep on hearing about... and to show my girlfriend what motorsport really means... now that's coming to America...

But one bad thing for me is: Austin is where my girlfriend's Ex is living...

what a dilemna... :ill: :S

So you are thinking about dropping the F1 race because your girlfriend might visit her ex for 5 minutes?!

Dude! :lol:

Great news!!! Austin is close to Jamaica compared to anything else, so maybe, just maybe, if i'm a good boy, I might travel up there for the weekend.

mhh f1 back in usa ? :guilty: ?
i live in europe (where you find awesome race tracks,and not Oval circuits like in usa :) )
and iam not sure if they realy make a race track or a new Oval circuit with a infield ...
dont be angry ,i know here are much people from usa but i want that f1 get a new nice race track (any pictures?)

Watkins Glen was awesome (still is, at least from playing it in GTR) and it was in the USA. I agree that anything is better than an infield section - mostly because infields are 100% FLAT - but I guess this new track can be awesome.

Oh, and Ardius, why do you like city circuits? I dislike them mainly for two reasons: a) 90º corners; b) apart from the cars all you see is concrete walls and fences.

So Herman Tilke will be designing this one again, i'm prety sure. He has designed pretty much every new circuit that has joined F1 for the past few years, so why wouldn't he. So, I guess it will be another Valencia, aka boring as hell.

mhh f1 back in usa ? :guilty: ?
i live in europe (where you find awesome race tracks,and not Oval circuits like in usa :) )
and iam not sure if they realy make a race track or a new Oval circuit with a infield ...

It will be a purpose built race track so there won't be any ovals.

dont be angry ,i know here are much people from usa but i want that f1 get a new nice race track (any pictures?)

Sounds like it's still in the beginning phases, a plan will probably be finalized in the coming months followed shortly by construction.

Also, if you exclude all the 1/4 mile dirt tracks, the US by far has more road courses than ovals.

The US also has some awesome race tracks (Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Road America etc) and Germany has an oval, so lets not bring any stereotypes in here until we know what the track will be like.

What happened to it being in New York? Did they scrap that completely then yeah?

New York is too busy all the time to really have a large portion of the streets shut down for a weekend, it would be catastrophic with traffic.

What happened to it being in New York? Did they scrap that completely then yeah?

I'm guessing the prospect of a permanent purpose built course was probably more appealing than a street course.

Well I've always wanted to go to Texas, so it's perfect. It's good news that F1 is back though, hopefully they'll see that there are a lot of fans in the US and maybe have another track. Although I doubt it.

Well I've always wanted to go to Texas, so it's perfect. It's good news that F1 is back though, hopefully they'll see that there are a lot of fans in the US and maybe have another track. Although I doubt it.

I thought they had a limit of 1 race per country with the exception on the European GP?

Unless I'm just not understanding you.

I thought they had a limit of 1 race per country with the exception on the European GP?

Unless I'm just not understanding you.

There isn't really a limit, its just there can only be one "Grand Prix". I.e. there can only be one Italian Grand Prix, so if you wanted to hold a second race in Italy, you would have to call it something else..hence San Marino.

It could always be like the old "US Grand Prix East" and "US Grand Prix West" style naming, or call the one in Texas the "Central American Grand Prix" or "Texan Grand Prix".

Could always alternate too. But I doubt there will be another track to alternate with - the reason we are getting a brand new track is because Indianapolis is the only other option bar a street course. Its interesting to note that several states have willing investors though, so its always a possibility. I think sponsors would probably like the idea of alternating the race between locations to maximise the exposure, one year people in the east can go, then the west, etc.

It's too bad that an entirely new track must be built for an F1 race in USA while there are so many good tracks that could simply use some minor, to serious upgrades to their facilities (Laguna Seca, Barber Motorsports Park, or Watkins Glen). But, somebody must seriously have some dumb money in Texas. It is really risky to build an entire circuit just to appease Bernie Ecclestone and then to make money thereafter with an F1 event. Take for example Hockenheim, Sepang, Fuji, and Shanghai which are all strapped-for-cash now after having unsuccessful Formula 1 races. I am glad to see the series return to the States though and I wish promoters in Austin, Texas the best of luck with their event!

There isn't really a limit, its just there can only be one "Grand Prix". I.e. there can only be one Italian Grand Prix, so if you wanted to hold a second race in Italy, you would have to call it something else..hence San Marino.

It could always be like the old "US Grand Prix East" and "US Grand Prix West" style naming, or call the one in Texas the "Central American Grand Prix" or "Texan Grand Prix".

Could always alternate too. But I doubt there will be another track to alternate with - the reason we are getting a brand new track is because Indianapolis is the only other option bar a street course. Its interesting to note that several states have willing investors though, so its always a possibility. I think sponsors would probably like the idea of alternating the race between locations to maximise the exposure, one year people in the east can go, then the west, etc.

thanks for the clarification.

It's too bad that an entirely new track must be built for an F1 race in USA while there are so many good tracks that could simply use some minor, to serious upgrades to their facilities (Laguna Seca, Barber Motorsports Park, or Watkins Glen). But, somebody must seriously have some dumb money in Texas. It is really risky to build an entire circuit just to appease Bernie Ecclestone and then to make money thereafter with an F1 event. Take for example Hockenheim, Sepang, Fuji, and Shanghai which are all strapped-for-cash now after having unsuccessful Formula 1 races. I am glad to see the series return to the States though and I wish promoters in Austin, Texas the best of luck with their event!

It is a rather big risk indeed, but if it pays off it will pay off big.

Another thing going for the track owners is that there is a good amount of national/regional series that could put the track to use while not in use by F1 cars.

^Indeed. The state is ripe for a true all-purpose track of this scale. If layed out properly it could cater to many forms of racing that are STARVED for a decent track in the state (and the surrounding states). And remember Texas is larger than many COUNTRIES in Europe, so I think it will get its use, year-round.

I am soooooo happy right now. :)

Back