F1 Returns to USA - COTA - Bring on 2013!!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 575 comments
It's too bad that an entirely new track must be built for an F1 race in USA while there are so many good tracks that could simply use some minor, to serious upgrades to their facilities (Laguna Seca, Barber Motorsports Park, or Watkins Glen).

F1 at Laguna Seca = WIN. Seriously, that would be an awesome race.

F1 at Laguna Seca = WIN. Seriously, that would be an awesome race.

Problem is a lap around that track (which is awesome and I agree is a SERIOUS win) takes just over 1'00". I've been to two MotoGP events there and they were awesome, Nicky Hadyen was doing those in 1'19+" and I think Casey Stoner has topped that. (The Wiki is silent on this??)

But the track record, in 2000 with a Honda CART spec open wheel racer was 1'.07"xxx. The unofficial record for the track is 1'05"xxx (according to the Wiki).

I would only wonder what a modern F1 rig would do????:crazy:

Plus the pits would need alot of work again to support the F1 teams. They are barely big enough for the MotoGP boys.

All that said: Laguna is my favorite track in the US. And it's close behind the Nurb and Spa of all time tracks. IMHO :)

I thought they had a limit of 1 race per country with the exception on the European GP?

Unless I'm just not understanding you.

I had no idea they had a setup like that. Nevermind then, I guess Texas is good. Or like Ardius said, just have the State name before the Grand Prix and we got 50 more races :lol:.

I think can lap the F2007 around in under a minute. I can also do Monaco in under 13 seconds. But that's just GTPSP, not sure how realistic it may be compared to real life handling of an F1 car.

I had no idea they had a setup like that. Nevermind then, I guess Texas is good. Or like Ardius said, just have the State name before the Grand Prix and we got 50 more races :lol:.

Nah...

US GP
Canadian GP
North American GP

There we go :)

I think can lap the F2007 around in under a minute. I can also do Monaco in under 13 seconds. But that's just GTPSP, not sure how realistic it may be compared to real life handling of an F1 car.

:confused::confused::confused:

Wrong thread (I'm assuming) :D

Oh, and Ardius, why do you like city circuits? I dislike them mainly for two reasons: a) 90º corners; b) apart from the cars all you see is concrete walls and fences.

I quite liked the few US ones because they were rapid, and very extreme on reliability and endurance. The poor maintenance of the US street circuits also provided loads of bumps and uneven surfaces, which is in my opinion the best recipe for a good race track.
They pretty much summed up F1 to me.

I don't see why you think they were all 90 degree corners though, only Phoenix was like that, Dallas, Detroit and Long Beach were all great circuits.
Can't argue with the concrete walls comment, and of course I wouldn't like to see an entire season of street circuits. But I do think they have a place in F1 and I feel Valencia and Singapore just don't do the name "street circuit" justice.
Melbourne and Montreal are technically street circuits and feature many of the charateristics of street circuits. The origins of racing were on streets too, the greatest race circuits in the world are mostly built on old roadways.

Of course, overtaking was difficult, but not impossible. Watson at Long Beach 1983? Senna and Alesi at Phoneix 1990?

Full blown race circuits can be good with their freedom, but they can be a bit too perfect with their surfaces and acres of run off. Especially nowadays when we get places like Abu Dhabi. Its a bit silly how we still have circuits like Suzuka which still use grass and gravel (so its clearly not such a safety problem) yet all the new circuits are choosing to use tarmac run offs. I can only agree with tarmac run offs with respect to bikers, but otherwise I would rather see cars taken out and punished for mistakes rather than have effectively car parks. Not only does it look grey and dull, but it doesn't provide any better racing anyway.
Its a controversial question, but does anyone else think tarmac run off is a safety feature we don't need? The excitement is generated from the element of danger and I wonder whether tarmac is absolutely necessary. The main argument for tarmac run off is to help safety, as its easier to slow the car down and cars tend to skim gravel. Its also said to help keep cars in the race, so keep the interest in the race. The main argument I can't disagree with, though I am asking whether its necessary. The side point I think is not beneficial, most of drivers making the errors are not in a position to fight very well anyway and there is more excitement from seeing a driver on the edge almost loosing it on grass than seeing them easily recover from the tarmac.

Hmm, now that I think about it. What would F1 be like at Texas Motor Speedway? That could be interesting.

The cars would be redlining too much, so the engines will all explode, the corners would be too much stress on the tires and so there would be high speed blowouts.

That could be dangerous and cut short.

The cars would be redlining too much, so the engines will all explode, the corners would be too much stress on the tires and so there would be high speed blowouts.

:rolleyes:
Yes, because they wouldn't alter the gear ratios or tyre choices would they? Did you even think about this post? Why on earth would they run the engines to the redline?

I know, that's why I said it could be interesting! :lol:

I'm actually really interested in this. I can't wait to see a circuit proposal, it would be great if Tilke could make an interesting "American style" race circuit, while still meeting the FIA standards.

But, somebody must seriously have some dumb money in Texas.

rich-texan-the-simpsons.jpg

First of all, let me say this: I know nothing about Austin other than what I've read on the internet in the past twelve hours.

I honestly think putting the race in Austin could be one of the smartest moves Bernie has ever made. Texas is seen as the heart of NASCAR country, and regardless of where the American Grand Prix is held - be it at in New York, Florida, Hawaii or even Alaska - it is going to be in direct competition with the stock cars. It's a simple, inescapable fact. But from all accounts, Austin is a worldly, cosmopolitain city; the antithesis of the stereotype that is NASCAR. It's a tiny chink in NASCAR's armour, The One That Got Away. So rather than be isolationist and hold the race as far away from NASCAR territory as possible whilst still being in the States, planting the seeds of Formula 1 in Austin could be a real coup de grace. It's also got the advantage of working with Montreal to cover the major population centres: people in New York and Michian and Indiana and Illinois are within range of Montreal for one Grand Prix, whilst Austin covers Texas, Calfornia,, Louisina Utah and Colorado and maybe Florida. Granted, Seattle does miss out - unless Seattle-siders are willing to travel - but I think there's a pretty even spread across the ountry. Certainly better than when there was a USA East and a USA West on the calendar.

Now, Bernie, can we get to work on a Russian and an African race? They're the only two major regions without one, and I think Formula 1 really needs them to be a truly global championship. I wouldn't say no to Central America (Mexico, maybe?), Scandinavia (Finland), Central Asia (Boratistan?) Antarctica or the Moon, either.

Actually Interludes, the heart of NASCAR country is either Daytona Beach, Florida (where NASCAR is currently headquartered) or North Carolina (where NASCAR started, and where the NASCAR hall of fame is). And there is probably the same number of NASCAR fans in Austin as there are anywhere else. I don't think there will be any more competition with NASCAR than any other weekend between the two sports. I don't think anybody in the US would have trouble traveling to Austin, since it would all be domestic flights. And Austin has a nice airport.

Actually Interludes, the heart of NASCAR country is either Daytona Beach, Florida (where NASCAR is currently headquartered) or North Carolina (where NASCAR started, and where the NASCAR hall of fame is). And there is probably the same number of NASCAR fans in Austin as there are anywhere else. I don't think there will be any more competition with NASCAR than any other weekend between the two sports. I don't think anybody in the US would have trouble traveling to Austin, since it would all be domestic flights. And Austin has a nice airport.
By "heart", I mean it's where a good proportion of the fanbase comes from.

And I very much doubt that the Untied States Grand Prix will be held on the same weekend as a NASCAR race - but that doesn't mean it won't be competing with them. The race will be compared to NASCAR and IndyCar in terms of the amount of spectators and the television viewing figures.

The best part about a purpose built track for F1 is that almost anything else can then race there. USA has a few other road championships that can utilize the track for sure! and hell, i wouldnt be suprised to see nascar possibly even do a road race there? F1 has to tap into nascars fans in the USA and not compete with them.

It is a rather big risk indeed, but if it pays off it will pay off big.

Another thing going for the track owners is that there is a good amount of national/regional series that could put the track to use while not in use by F1 cars.
Oh, it will. The owners of Motorsport Ranch Houston already see enormous increases in members each year as it is the place to go for track racing for South Texas folks. I can only see Houston members returning the favor to go & drive on what everyone see as an opportunity to drive on an official Formula 1 track in Austin.

Hmm, now that I think about it. What would F1 be like at Texas Motor Speedway? That could be interesting.
Won't work. For one thing, the length is too small. Even with the infield, you're looking at under 2 miles very easily. The only course in F1's current schedule around that length is Monaco. The rest are easily averaging 3 miles in length a lap.

Secondly, the course is not very exciting. It's very basic in fact, so fans & drivers will grow tired of it. ALMS came in 2001 for the infield's opening & left the next year after following poor attendance.

By "heart", I mean it's where a good proportion of the fanbase comes from.

And I very much doubt that the Untied States Grand Prix will be held on the same weekend as a NASCAR race - but that doesn't mean it won't be competing with them. The race will be compared to NASCAR and IndyCar in terms of the amount of spectators and the television viewing figures.

It will be hard not to have it during the same weekend as a Cup race since they only have about 4-5 weeks of in a year.(Of course this could change by 2012).

If they do wind up doing it during a Cup weekend they should do it during one of the races that don't draw very big crowds or one of the Sat. night races so people have Sunday free.

I want to see F1 on the speedway part of TMS to be exact. I remember when CART did it there. If I remember correctly, the speeds g forces were so high that they cancelled the race because the drivers were passing out! I could be remembering something totally different.

Secondly, the course is not very exciting. It's very basic in fact, so fans & drivers will grow tired of it. ALMS came in 2001 for the infield's opening & left the next year after following poor attendance.
Maybe what they should do is build something like the old Monza circuit ...

:drool:Wow, this is great news indeed. Monticello would have been an awesome track(and closer) but ah well. I just hope this new facility has 'character' and some exciting elevation changes built into it. I've never attended a grand prix, so I won't be missing out on this one. It will be right in time for the new formula which is taking shape for 2013 also. 1.5 liter turbos anyone?:)

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see this track, because so far I prefer the older European tracks over the new additions.

This is very awesome news, even more incentive to start saving up for race. Funny enough, I was watching an old F1 race that was in Texas just before I heard about it so this couldn't have come at a more ironic time.

It's too bad that an entirely new track must be built for an F1 race in USA while there are so many good tracks that could simply use some minor, to serious upgrades to their facilities (Laguna Seca, Barber Motorsports Park, or Watkins Glen).

To be honest, I'd rather them have a purpose built circuit rather then butcher up the american circuits like they already did with Hockenheim and Fuji.

Haven't you worked out yet that Bernie likes Formula 1 to be run on circuits built for Formula 1 first and everyone else second?

Nascar has slowly become a full blown sport in America, rivaling the NFL, MLB, and the rest of those stick and ball sports, but America has a niche for Open Wheel racing, with Indy Car on the rise up as of late, the Austin F1 race should be great, and can show off a different side of America from what people from other countries usually see.

Back