F1 TV coverage threadFormula 1 

whisper films, owned by david coulthard and jake humphery are producing f1 for channel 4. suppose that keeps coulthard in a job.They should give chandock a job aswell. i can see most of the bbc team jumping to channel 4, just like the bbc team jumped to sky...youve gotta go where the work is

Okay, I don't really know where to put this, and this thread seems to be the most appropriate place for it.

One of the most common complaints about the sport at the moment is about the sound of the engines. Part of the problem is that sound equipment used to broadcast the races is still tuned to the pre-2014 engines, but there is something that you can do to fix this (it's probably still not perfect, but it goes a long way) is to invest in a soundbar, especially one with a subwoofer.

I know that they can be expensive; mine cost AUD $250. But they bring a richer quality to the sound. I have been watching motorsport all day for the past few days - V8 Supercars, MotoGP, BTCC, IndyCar - and it's brilliant.

"WooOOOOaaaaAAAAAhhhhhhHHHHH! MARK WEBBER'S GONE RIGHT UP, THERE!"

Split second reaction or not, that is audio bleach.
Remember back in 2011 talking to him, wanted me to impersonate my older brother and go on a charge and win the Mercedes Live Race event. :lol:

He went from lead F1 commentator to following back then (Credit to @daan for picture):

6120798031_4217f72e95_o.jpg

Abu Dhabi,Bahrain and Spain are a bit lacklustre, but the rest of the races seem a good selection.
The same rules from the Sky deal apply - they can't have three consecutive races. And they no doubt want some early-season races to match.

Iam very surprised that they didnt choose Canada. Thats peak time, maximum audience and usually a cracking race aswell.
They may not have had a choice. The BBC - and now Channel 4 - get to pick three races that they will broadcast live. Then Sky get to pick three that they will broadcast exclusively. Then Channel 4 pick another three, and so on and so forth. They tend to pick the British Grand Prix, the season finale and something between the two (in the hopes of broadcasting the title-deciding race) in the first round, which leaves the likes of Canada open to Sky in their first pick.

So when channel 4 does races, Sky also does their own broadcasts? Sorry that it's a dumb question, I'm not familiar with the British TV deal.

So when channel 4 does races, Sky also does their own broadcasts? Sorry that it's a dumb question, I'm not familiar with the British TV deal.

Sky (a paid package) will broadcast every race live on their dedicated F1 channel. The BBC Channel 4 (free-to-air for all TV licence holders) will show every race, 10 live and the remainder as delayed broadcasts and/or highlights.

EDIT: Thanks to Touring Mars for spotting that I'd forgotten that F1 had gone to Channel 4 :D

Last edited:
Sky (a paid package) will broadcast every race live on their dedicated F1 channel. The BBC (free-to-air for all TV licence holders) will show every race, 10 live and the remainder as delayed broadcasts and/or highlights.
You mean Channel 4, not the BBC...?

They may not have had a choice. The BBC - and now Channel 4 - get to pick three races that they will broadcast live. Then Sky get to pick three that they will broadcast exclusively. Then Channel 4 pick another three, and so on and so forth. They tend to pick the British Grand Prix, the season finale and something between the two (in the hopes of broadcasting the title-deciding race) in the first round, which leaves the likes of Canada open to Sky in their first pick.
I'm a bit confused by this - I was under the impression that Channel 4 get 10 live races (and the rest delayed) and the BBC will no longer be showing F1 at all. Sky have the whole season live, but is subscription only.

I'm a bit confused by this - I was under the impression that Channel 4 get 10 live races (and the rest delayed) and the BBC will no longer be showing F1 at all. Sky have the whole season live, but is subscription only.
What I mean is that the agreement between Channel 4 and Sky is structured in exactly the same way as the deal between the BBC and Sky. Channel 4 are bound by exactly the sane rules as the BBC were - Channel 4 pick three to broadcast live, then Sky pick three to broadcast exclusively, and Channel 4 cannot broadcast three races in succession.

You mean Channel 4, not the BBC...?

God, I'm so 2015.

Channel 4 (a free-to-air service for TV licence holders) will show 10 races live and the remainder as delayed broadcasts/highlights. I wasn't aware of the pick-system described by @prisonermonkeys, I thought the BBC Channel 4 just plumped for the 10 they fancied the most, you live and learn :)

EDIT: While we're at it, could we have a thread-title-change please? I'm blaming that for my mis-type :D

It's in the interests of fairness. When the deal was brokered, Sky knew that there were some races that rated higher than others. There was concern that the BBC would simply pick the ten highest-rating Grands Prix and offload the rest to Sky - which is unfair because Sky is footing half the bill, and there were suspicions that the BBC came up with the half-and-half agreement to keep the full rights from falling into the hands of another network.

I believe Sky also have exclusivity on the first race of the season although as long as it continues to be Australia it'll be moot anyway, as BBC and now C4 would never choose it, given the air time.

erm, how about updating the title to Channel 4. yesterday we had the race start times with Baku starting at 2.00pm BST on June 19

erm, how about updating the title to Channel 4. yesterday we had the race start times with Baku starting at 2.00pm BST on June 19
Good point, but it would be made better with more capitals, (and I'm not just going on about Baku...)

There is just something about the BBC which compels viewers to watch. It's proffesionalism and history as a British institution. It's the most popular terrestrial channel and people like it when their favourite programmes appear on a channel they watch anyway. The F1 on Channel4 just won't be the same. Far less people will watch F1 on Channel 4. I have no doubt about that. I never watch Channel 4 for anything and I think a lot of people are the same. For example the new season is just weeks away and we have not seen any trailers or ads sofar for the new coverage. Add to that the usual Mercedes domination (Ferrari will not be regular challengers) things aren't looking great for F1 sadly.

There is just something about the BBC which compels viewers to watch. It's proffesionalism and history as a British institution. It's the most popular terrestrial channel and people like it when their favourite programmes appear on a channel they watch anyway. The F1 on Channel4 just won't be the same. Far less people will watch F1 on Channel 4. I have no doubt about that. I never watch Channel 4 for anything and I think a lot of people are the same. For example the new season is just weeks away and we have not seen any trailers or ads sofar for the new coverage. Add to that the usual Mercedes domination (Ferrari will not be regular challengers) things aren't looking great for F1 sadly.

I agree with this to a large extent, but on the rare occasions I've been able to compare the BBC coverage to that of SKy, I've found the latter to be a little bit more on the button, especially during the commentary itself (though I can live without the giant iPad moments with x y z ex-driver).

That said, whilst Coulthard can be a bit of a charisma vacuum at times, at least he learned how to pronounce Vettel after about 3 years, and I'm also thankful that there won't be any ad interruptions, especially those closed-caption style breaks they have in Canada etc.

Disagree. Anyone who watched on BBC will watch on channel 4. Probably because they dont have Sky.

Disagree. Anyone who watched on BBC will watch on channel 4. Probably because they dont have Sky.

What were ITV's viewing figures compared to pre-1996 Beeb's? They had some fantastic seasons (1997-99, 2003, 2006-08). Pretty sure anyone who watched original Beeb F1 migrated to ITV.

I never watch Channel 4 for anything and I think a lot of people are the same...we have not seen any trailers or ads sofar for the new coverage. A

How do you know if you haven't seen it?

I don't see an issue with the BBC viewers migrating to Channel 4. It's got the same producer, the other two production owners have been regular presenters of the Beeb coverage and, like the BBC, Whisper will show no ad breaks in races.

What would the difference actually be?

You haven't seen any ads for C4's coverage? I've seen a couple today and some over the last few days but as you say you never watch C4 so you won't be aware. Ever since the BBC cut off one of the greatest Moto2 races of all time half way through I feel compelled to watch programmes elsewhere if I can.

Last edited:
F1 is so old balls and narrow minded :lol:.

The Frenchman was, however, supportive of the new fan-voted ‘Driver of the Day’ award that is being adopted in 2016, saying: “There's the fan vote for the driver of the day, which is good, having fans behind us. It's rather cool.”

I'm voting for Piercarlo Ghinzani.

Driver of the Day scares me. Not because it's a totally pointless popularity contest but it sets the precedent for fan votes on more important things and before you know it we've got something like Fanboost.

Latest Posts

Back