F1 Winter Testing (2012)

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 440 comments
Well, we'll check in from time to time and update the title and OP as needs be... 👍

Right now, very little happening. Suffice to say. Most teams are doing pure testing and are not going after lap times, at least not this early. Only the teams themselves know how much they're holding in reserve, so all we can really read into the times are that Lotus and FI are, at the very least, good for midfield to upper midfield pace and that Kimi is in pretty good condition.

Red Bull is doing some medium tire laps. Obviously not going to be as fast as the best laps, but who knows what they're really testing for?

Autosport says that the reason behind RBR's delay going on track is because the plane carrying the RB8's rear wing assembly was unable to land at Jerez airport due to fog, and was diverted to Seville - about two hours away - instead.

EDIT: No track activity so far...

Last edited:
the teams themselves know how much they're holding in reserve, so all we can really read into the times are that Lotus and FI are, at the very least, good for midfield to upper midfield pace and that Kimi is in pretty good condition.

I don't think we can even read that in testing, especially as its the first test - they won't even have a base setup sorted out yet and most of the parts they intend to run in Australia don't start really appearing till the final few test days.

The only thing we can really read in testing is when its going particularly terrible for a team - lots of reliability issues and such or not many long runs completed. But even that is no indicator of how their season will pan out - last year Williams looked promising and McLaren looked a disaster in testing.

I think the only thing I seem to really enjoy from testing is analysing each car and the parts they put on and take off. Beyond that its just a waste of time trying to speculate who is doing well.

If I didn't miss anything, it seems like not even a single car (2012 car) has got a technical gremlins so far which is fairly good!

Either Raikkonen is in the form of his life, or Lotus have done a Brawn on us...

If you asked me, I'd say it's because every other team is pretty much doing shakedowns today, Kimi doing far more laps than anyone else, that we aren't seeing so much competitive laptimes being set now, allowing Kimi to take the spotlight. I'm not writing his speed off though, he set his fastest time on the Medium compound, which I find rather impressive.

Take test times with a grain of salt, though, as fuel loads and programs are unknown to us. Last year Ferrari was dominating testing along with Red Bull, but only one of them went on to dominate. Williams showed incredible pace last year in testing, which never carried over.

Yeah also if you watched the friday pratice last season, Lotus usually appeared a bit higher on friday than they qualify.

However there's something we can't deny, it's a fast time compares to last year testing at the same time even if the weather might explain it.

Now what interested me is has McLaren got their exhaust sorted out? I have yet to find picture of it and if the bulge is still there. One thing for sure, I'm glad another season is finally taking shape after a long talk throughout the launch and about the stepped nose.

Here's the Mclaren's butt as for now.

su_ms1207fe93-2

But still, can't located the exhaust though.

Here's the Mclaren's butt as for now.

*snip*

But still, can't located the exhaust though.

Yeah, I've seen that picture before. This is curious!

So for the first time, Caterham is fitting in their KERS system but only in passive mode for today. This is where reliability can be quite a worry and it's a Red Bull's KERS system.

Well, first red flag of the testing season by Torro Rosso.

If I didn't miss anything, it seems like not even a single car (2012 car) has got a technical gremlins so far which is fairly good!

Denied. :lol:

Last edited:
Ninja edit! I read Red Bull and was instantly hopeful for some uncomprimising Newey design flaw which would hamper them this season...

Aww shizz, someone notice! :dunce:
At first, i thout it's RBR too but then i notice Torro Rosso words.
:lol:

So much for not having any technical gremlins today, now we have one. I spoke too soon!

Lol, it would be great if they don't have any mechanical failure on the first day of the test but yeah like i said, better have one now than have one during latter time. :P

I wouldn't read too much into Raikkonen's table topping morning time. Autosport even made a comparison with Massa's table topping time from last year.

Massa's. Look how well he did in 2011.

Lol, it would be great if they don't have any mechanical failure on the first day of the test but yeah like i said, better have one now than have one during latter time. :P

Definitely, it's always better to find those teething problems now then on the race day. I always expect something to go wrong somewhere in this test session but seeing all the cars running smoothly, thought we could have one of the most reliable day in F1 testing history!

The Toro Rosso guys are tight-lipped and not yet ready to tell us the problem.

I'm betting on overheating KERS issue! :dunce:

---

Caterham test ended. Starter shaft damage. :odd:

Last edited:
I'm betting on overheating KERS issue! :dunce:

Quite possibly. Anyway Caterham's day is done as they've damaged the starter shaft... Also they've been experiencing some small cooling problems.

EDIT: Yeah.. Tree'd.

Quite possibly. Anyway Caterham's day is done as they've damaged the starter shaft... Also they've been experiencing some small cooling problems.

EDIT: Yeah.. Tree'd.

Lol, starter shaft damage. I didn't expect that to happen.
Cooling problem? Must be the small radiator intake.

---

Nothing much happen on Torro Rosso's car.
Drop of oil pressure and engine cut off.
Damn, i thought it's overheating issues.

Last edited:
The day's lap times are updated in the OP.

(Question that should be asked in the "Site Support" forum: is there a way to publish a table respecting its format? I tried the TABLE tag but didn't work ... )

PS - Did Williams give any reason for the low number of laps made by Maldonado?

I wouldn't read too much into Raikkonen's table topping morning time. Autosport even made a comparison with Massa's table topping time from last year.

Massa's. Look how well he did in 2011.

After the 4 days testing here last year, the fastest time was set by Barrichello's Williams. And we all know how that turned out...

Times set in testing, particularly these early tests, literally do mean nothing.

(Question that should be asked in the "Site Support" forum: is there a way to publish a table respecting its format? I tried the TABLE tag but didn't work ... )
I've edited the first post into the only way you can get a "table" format. The table code has been disabled as it can completely screw up the design of the forums.

Last edited:
And Raikkonen of course, has something to prove so he's probably going to push very hard to prove that he's not a lazy, disinterested, drunken Finn. Who can put in a stellar drive on his day, to be fair.

There is a difference between speculating about who is doing what, and suggesting that the Lotus E20 is to the 2012 grid what the Brawn BGP-001 was to 2009 on the basis of one flying lap.

Agreed....the Lotus is probably legal under the rules ;)

I've edited the first post into the only way you can get a "table" format. The table code has been disabled as it can completely screw up the design of the forums.

Learning something every day! Thanks 👍

I did my own litle edit again to test if font size would work inside the "code" tags because the font became too small for my poor eyes, and it worked. (I figured it should, because bold and colors worked).

Shows up even better one size up but then the window size becomes too small for all the text. Pity.

Thanks again! :)

And Raikkonen of course, has something to prove so he's probably going to push very hard to prove that he's not a lazy, disinterested, drunken Finn. Who can put in a stellar drive on his day, to be fair.

Would you mind developing your chain of thought: does Raikkonen have the burden of proof for not being a 'lazy, disinterested, drunken Finn'?

Undemonstrative in the paddock, disinterested in interviews. Rumoured to enjoy a drink or two. Very laid back attitude towards racing post-2007, hence why Ferrari paid out his contract to release him. Perhaps specifically calling him a Finn was unnecessary.

It was a jibe against him and his perceived attitude and public persona, not the Finnish people. Apologies for any offence.

Well, I think because of said "jibe" gtplanet got graced with another user, obviously former lurker.

Welcome Jarmo S and relax, most users here are enlightened persons and true F1 fans, thankfully gtplanet´s motorsports forum didn't reach the low level of others, where you either are a "fanboy" or an "hater", in both cases with an agenda.

And I totally understand what MazdaPrice referred to (and you do also I'm sure). Any of us in Kimi'«s position, after a few years away and after all that was written about "disinterest" in F1 and "interest" in a more relaxed form of motorsports (and personal life) ... would feel the need to "Prove a point" upon our return. It's only natural.

Well, many of us expect high performance on the circuit from F1-drivers. Qualities you chose to burden Raikkonen with may be important to yourself - I have no argument against your choice.

What motivated Ferrari to pay him out, however, was something quite else than what you suggest. The 'pay-out' was entirely financed by Santander Bank, in order to get Alonso as Ferrari driver.

Furthermore, quite a few F1-drivers are known to enjoy 'drink or two' every now and then. Recently, some of them have even been convicted for excessive violence while having had these. I wouldn't call these fellows 'drunken Germans' or 'drunken Dutchmen', though ... Things tend to happen to people, even drivers, but as long as they perform the way they're expected to at races, I would leave the other half of their lives non-commented on these forums.

Back