F1 Winter Testing (2012)

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 440 comments
Ferrari sound like they are on the back foot at this stage. Happy.

Impressive from Grosjean given the track temperature, but again without knowing fuel loads its difficult to read much more than that. And Jules Bianchi finding a wall in the Force India is not a smart move... Was he due to be in the car all of todays test?

Edited : actually he does, so he lost all his morning practice, not so good for a test day <.<

Last edited:
Force India report: "The guys are busy in the garage repairing the VJM05. We will hopefully be back out in the afternoon so that Nico can get his first run."

From BBC feed.

Sauber is having some sort of drivetrain issue it seems. They're off for an early break while Ferrari check on the problem...

I just managed to tune into a Sky report that was showing on Fox Soccer regarding current F1 testing. They paid a noticeable amount of attention to Ferrari's lack of pace today, implying that Ferrari does not have the pace yet again, when Massa and Ferrari clearly said that they weren't going for quick runs today, and were just trying to learn as much as they can about the car and to collect data.

Ferrari's chief designer has said the car is going to be about 2.5 seconds off pace.

http://www.gpnow.com/formula1/9958/ferrari-struggling-with-f2012/

It's been a while since Ferrari has been this slow compared to the competition.

Ferrari's chief designer has said the car is going to be about 2.5 seconds off pace.

http://www.gpnow.com/formula1/9958/ferrari-struggling-with-f2012/

It's been a while since Ferrari has been this slow compared to the competition.

Could be mind games. Could be truth. Flip a coin. Too early, still... but maybe I'll start that Grosjean-Raikkonen betting thread soon...

EDIT: Then again, they do look really bad out there, from reports. If they're faking a limp, they're doing it quite well.

Last edited:
Yeah, if they are faking it, they are being very cheeky with it. But, a bit of their being off pace probably has to do with the suspension they are using now. Massa wasn't happy with how it would respond in the corners.

They definitely won't be this slow when the season opener comes around. Might still be a bit off pace but I doubt it will be 2.5 seconds. That's bottom-mid pack range.

Shame, Force India is lacking parts to fix the car after the shunt by Jules Bianchi... They're not going out anymore and call it a day. They reckon they will run tomorrow if they've got all the parts.

EDIT: Sauber have started their engine but has yet to go back out on track. They're running out of time.. This could spell a disaster. Only 31 laps in the tally so far.

EDIT: Perez is finally joining back. That's a really long wait! Apparently the had to change an oil filter in the gearbox.

Last edited:
I read a rumour today or yesterday regarding the Mercedes W03. Rumour goes that the reason they are late to the 2012 launches is a clever front wing design which they are keeping under wraps until as late as possible. This is of course so other teams can't copy it straight away...

Yes, the helmet boy did it again...

397112_339692586070688_117554024951213_1042360_908416933_n.jpg

OP updated with today's times. My own quick notes:

1 - Grosjean means business.
2 - So does Rosberg
3 - RBR doesn't seem worried with laps laptimes.
4 - McLaren is gaining one second per day
5 - STR is doing good
6 - So is Force India
7 - Ferrari either has a problem or is only testing heavy loads
8 - Williams gets the same comment as Ferrari
7 - Caterham I just don't know, but yesterday Kova managed a respectable 1'21

Disclaimer: this is testing, even after 3 full days you don't know what was tested and if any of the teams tried a flying lap just to check on the car's absolute limit at this stage. Well, Lotus probably did it.

Last edited:
Mike Gascoyne has just stated the following on the BBC feed:
"Reliability was again good for us today and on Friday we will give Jarno [Trulli] his first taste of KERS, run through tyre evaluations and start exploring more of the car's performance potential."

It is that very last point which I am highlighting here since this will surely mean a lap against the clock to see how the car behaves at full tilt. This could mean with a full tank, but its still a good comparison for the rest of the field. Hopeful of a 1:18.xxx from them tomorrow for some evidence (as minimal as it may be) that they are serious about being a midfield contender.

Indeed as you say they may go for a search of the car's potential at race start (meaning, with a full tank) so we'll never know. Ideally, however, all teams should test the several situations a race weekend demands. And that includes testing a very light car, optimized for a "one lap wonder".

I doubt they ever do that though.

Got to love the latest BBC headline:

Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel neck-and-neck in Jerez

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16972087

0.167 is hardly neck and neck; that is if you ignore the fact that the times mean nothing. I may aswell take the BBC F1 site off my favourites, everything they show seems to be inaccurate, biased towards Hamilton, or both.

Mercedes is the only team we can refer to atm tho and I'm pretty sure they never did an empty lap since they are testing tyres performance. It would make very little sens to do a super lap (that's what I call a lap with minimum fuel). They probably doing half tank/full tank testing, at least that's what seems the most possible.

@Seismica - The title is funny :D but the text itself wasn't bad. You got to expect this kind of titles in the UK, it's the same everywhere I guess

example: Le Mans 2011 - portuguese generalist newspaper titles were something like:

PEDRO LAMY NEARLY WINS LE MANS
(Audi won by less than 14 seconds)

;)

Got to love the latest BBC headline:

Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel neck-and-neck in Jerez

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16972087

0.167 is hardly neck and neck; that is if you ignore the fact that the times mean nothing. I may aswell take the BBC F1 site off my favourites, everything they show seems to be inaccurate, biased towards Hamilton, or both.

Everyone says the times mean nothing but to me they mean something... for example Ferrari lap times seems to indicate the front suspension they came up with isnt working very well. Half a second to one second and a half might not mean much but 2+ seconds seems a bit too much even just for testing.

@Seismica - The title is funny :D but the text itself wasn't bad. You got to expect this kind of titles in the UK, it's the same everywhere I guess

example: Le Mans 2011 - portuguese generalist newspaper titles were something like:

PEDRO LAMY NEARLY WINS LE MANS
(Audi won by less than 14 seconds)

;)

And he drove almost all the stints (NOT) :grumpy:

He drove one stint of less then 2 hours.👎

Everything I've heard and seen so far suggests that Ferrari aren't doing much in the sense of getting quick laptimes, or testing the car under qualifying conditions. I don't think they have even done much running on the soft compound, with all the pictures suggesting that they've almost entirely been running on the Hard compound.

I've read of Massa taking only one adventure onto the Soft Tyre, with a best of a 1:20.4 while the track was cold, and the winds were affecting the conditions noticeably. The F2012 is a brand new machine, and they just seem to be trying all sorts of things with the tuning of the suspension, with a pull rod suspension on the front and rear of the car for the first time, and testing aerodynamic components.

Funny how people will not read into test times when a Force India and Lotus are topping the boards, but when Ferrari and Williams are just doing running on the Harder compounds and saying that they aren't aiming for headline stealing times, everyone gets worried and some will even deem them as failures already.

What is more alarming is that people like Pat Fry are saying they aren't happy with the car. It's almost as if the powers-that-be at Ferrari don't know how (or have forgotten how) to build a championship winning car within the current regulations.

Everything I've heard and seen so far suggests that Ferrari aren't doing much in the sense of getting quick laptimes, or testing the car under qualifying conditions. I don't think they have even done much running on the soft compound, with all the pictures suggesting that they've almost entirely been running on the Hard compound.

I've read of Massa taking only one adventure onto the Soft Tyre, with a best of a 1:20.4 while the track was cold, and the winds were affecting the conditions noticeably. The F2012 is a brand new machine, and they just seem to be trying all sorts of things with the tuning of the suspension, with a pull rod suspension on the front and rear of the car for the first time, and testing aerodynamic components.

Funny how people will not read into test times when a Force India and Lotus are topping the boards, but when Ferrari and Williams are just doing running on the Harder compounds and saying that they aren't aiming for headline stealing times, everyone gets worried and some will even deem them as failures already.

You dont want to read to much into it thats fine... but I bet that either Ferrari changes the front suspencion or their results in Melbourne will be a disapointment... But Ill make the bet after tomorrow definitive lap times :dopey::dopey::dopey:

Realistically, I think it's still far too early to judge Ferrari atm. But, Ferrari certainly do need to get a more finalized package (particularly aero wise) together, which will be the best possible baseline to continue development on. I think it will basically be a case of putting the pieces of the puzzle together as quickly possible (which is even moreso crucial as Red Bull already seem to have a pretty solid platform quite early on), so they can unleash the potential of the car.

Here are some important bits to be aware of:

Pat Fry made it clear, however, that the difficulties the team was having with the car were not related to its decision to run a pull-rod front suspension.

"The front suspension is not that a big a deal to be honest," he said. "It is a small aero benefit, a small centre of gravity benefit, and I know it is different from what people have done in the past - but it is not that big a risk to be honest.

Fry: &#8220;A lot of work to do, but starting from a good base line&#8221;2.9.2012
Jerez de la Frontera, 9 February &#8211; Scuderia Ferrari&#8217;s third day of testing, the first with Fernando Alonso at the wheel of the F2012, was very similar to the previous two: a lot of work on data acquisition relating to the behaviour of the car, while not taking much notice of the times. It&#8217;s the route the team has to follow as it works on polishing up as quickly as possible a car that is radically different to last year&#8217;s, both in terms of its overall philosophy and in some specific components. Therefore there is no reason to create any drama around a time sheet on which the Prancing Horse drivers seem a long way off the pace of the top runners &#8211; today the gap hovered around the 3&#8221; mark. Fastest in fact was Rosberg (1.17.613 in the 2011 Mercedes,) while Fernando was seventh in a time of 1.20.413.

This approach was underlined by Technical Director Pat Fry when he met the press immediately after the end of the session. &#8220;There&#8217;s no reason for us to take the fuel out and try and do a quick time to make headlines in the newspapers,&#8221; said the English engineer. &#8220;However, we must try and maximise the limited twelve days of testing available to us. We have already lost some valuable time when it snowed in Fiorano: on the first day here, Felipe had to do all the work that we could have got through last week, making the most of the opportunity of the promotional filming. With only three tests available, the work has to be more compressed compared to last year and there is a lot of it to get through. The base line is good and we are working through everything that has to be tried to find the best balance on the car, especially in the various phases of the various types of corner. The matrix of solutions we are working on is pretty extensive and one can say that, on practically every run, we are trying different configurations. Here and in Maranello, we are working very hard on data analysis and also using the simulator so as to be sure that we can put together the best possible package.&#8221;

Up until the end of yesterday there had not been any reliability problems, but today a failure of an hydraulic nature meant Fernando had to put up with an unexpected stop that lasted around ninety minutes. &#8220;Parts are arriving here from the factory which should prevent this type of problem from reoccurring. From a reliability point of view, the car seems good, as it was in the past. As for performance, I can only say that it is going to take a lot of analysis to put all the pieces of the jigsaw together.&#8221;

Asked to send out a message to all the Ferrari fans, Fry replied with the sort of answer that those who know him a bit might well have expected. With his usual pragmatic approach he said: &#8220;all of us are working very hard&#8230;&#8221;

Response to a comment by James Allen:

"Early days. I think the Ferrari will be very fast, but it&#8217;s so new."

Last edited:
Ferrari didn't have a Championship winning car in the early 90s and they haven't had one since 2009.

It's almost as if one guy made all the difference with the way their cars were built in between those two time gaps I mentioned. :sly:

Ferrari didn't have a Championship winning car in the early 90s and they haven't had one since 2009.

It's almost as if one guy made all the difference with the way their cars were built in between those two time gaps I mentioned. :sly:

You mean the driver and car designer who are now sitting in fourth place behind Ferrari?

They haven't won a Championship since 2007 (which isn't a bad drought at all). Since then, they've been in solid contention for the WDC 2 out of 4 years (2008, 2010)...which again, is still quite good :lol:

And you could say the something similar in the case of Red Bull...

Anyway, I think it was a number of factors that helped Ferrari become so succesful, particularly during Schumacher's era. Of course Rory Byrne was dishing out some masterfuly designed cars during the time, but the unrestricted testing, tires designed particularly for Ferrari, general relability/luck they had, and less competitive field were all things that played to Ferrari's favor, and made them so dominant at the time.

You mean the driver and car designer who are now sitting in fourth place behind Ferrari?

"One guy" could mean anything from Jean Todt, Rory Byrne, Ross Brawn, Michael Schumacher..to heck even Luca Badoer or Rubens Barrichello.

I like to think he means Luca Badoer. :D

"One guy" could mean anything from Jean Todt, Rory Byrne, Ross Brawn, Michael Schumacher..to heck even Luca Badoer or Rubens Barrichello.

I like to think he means Luca Badoer. :D

As much as I admire Badoer, I'd place Rubinho higher up the list than that!

Only him and Brundle could hold a candle to Schumacer as team mates during his first stint. Brundle was especially unlucky to not be at Benetton for 1993. Imagine if he had, and then possibly had the Benetton B194 and not the MP4/4. He could have got that elusive first win.

...is God. His incredible F1 record and achievements will perhaps never be equalled. :D

In all seriousness, he did a good job with Minardi in 1995 and was unlucky in 1999 to a) Not replace Schumacher at a time when he was much younger and fitter than he was in 2009 and b) Not get 4th place at the European GP. I felt for him when he cried alongside his car. He drove well.

Back