FaceTrackNOIR - Amazing head-tracking boost with a cheap PlayStation 3 EYE camera!

• Thread starter SRCorner
  • 6 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to have TrackIR and thought it was absolute pants. A very unnatural sensation when using it.

That is old news.

Years ago I built a FreeTrack tracking system. I had an old Windows XP webcam without an IR filter. FreeTrack is much more stable than Face track No IR. This webcam doesn't work on W10.

If you buy a PS 3 Eye (older model) you can easily remove the IR filter and use the PS 3 eye with FreeTrack.

Face track No IR uses the FreeTrack software.

I used to have TrackIR and thought it was absolute pants. A very unnatural sensation when using it.

With the right settings it works well. That and a good webcam. Getting used to the moving screen can take a bit of time. It's easier to adapt if you've used VR I find.

With the right settings it works well. That and a good webcam. Getting used to the moving screen can take a bit of time. It's easier to adapt if you've used VR I find.
I've got a Vive Pro and after using that can think of nothing more immersion breaking than going back to TrackIR or something similar. The way it works is just so unnatural to how we experience the real world. I understand why people use it but for me it just doesn't result in a good experience.

I've got a Vive Pro and after using that can think of nothing more immersion breaking than going back to TrackIR or something similar. The way it works is just so unnatural to how we experience the real world. I understand why people use it but for me it just doesn't result in a good experience.

I prefer VR, but there are many titles out there like F1 2018 (like in the video) that don't and won't ever have VR so this is a viable and cheap option to use head tracking to increase visibility when using a single screen. It's not a question about immersion for me, or is VR better etc.. it's about an option that can aid sim racing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back