Fallout 3

• Thread starter NLxAROSA
  • 756 comments
I'm really enjoying this, the game is superb! This game rewards you for having a very good eye too. I have only recently clocked onto this, but now, I do intensive searches of each areas and I've found some great gear.

I have a question though. Does the difficulty of the enemies increase according to your skill level, or are there places in the map that have some super tough monsters, that may be beyond my abilities?

I'm currently level 5, and whilst I've been ganged up on by all manner of mutant insects, I have only so far bumped into the super mutant dude thingamabobs. Man they were tough! I learned a lesson there - don't take a pistol to a missile launcher fight! :lol:

I'm really enjoying this, the game is superb! This game rewards you for having a very good eye too. I have only recently clocked onto this, but now, I do intensive searches of each areas and I've found some great gear.

I have a question though. Does the difficulty of the enemies increase according to your skill level, or are there places in the map that have some super tough monsters, that may be beyond my abilities?

I'm currently level 5, and whilst I've been ganged up on by all manner of mutant insects, I have only so far bumped into the super mutant dude thingamabobs. Man they were tough! I learned a lesson there - don't take a pistol to a missile launcher fight! :lol:
No the enemies dont level up with you. There are places on the map that have very difficult enemies. As an example: If you get near New Olney or near the Deathclaw Cavern you will get destroyed. So in the beginning try to stay near the first few towns and do the missions for Moira in Megaton. She will have you do missions for the wasteland survival guide. This will help you get familiar with the areas and help you level up just in case you encounter a tough enemy. I always suggest storing anything you get in a specific locker or mailbox. Then you can return to that area and pick up that loot any time you want. And you can store unlimited amount of items in those lockers and mailboxes. When I first started I used the locker in the Megaton male bathroom.

If you are carrying 2 of the same weapon or 2 of the same armor, you can use the extra to repair the other similar item. That helps a lot to reduce weight on your body and to make each weapon or armor stronger.

Some low level areas to explore would be springvale school, vault 106 and vault 108. I would avoid pushing into metro DC until you've reached a higher level. If you haven't yet I would suggest finding rivet city.

I find that sneaking around Deathclaw Caverns while at a middling low level and trying to snipe a Deathclaw to... errh... death from an opposing mountaintop (takes about 1,000,000,000 hits) is an interesting exhausting way to gain big experience points.

oh man, I was doing some exploring and came across the hospital & in turn the Statesman hotel. I cleared the entire hotel only to find that there seems to be no exit unless you enter during a particular mission. Have any of you wondered in here and know of an exit? I was hoping I could quick travel from the roof but It won't let me do that either. :indiff:

Go to where an exit *should* be and activate noclip - ~ to bring up the console, 'tcl' for no clipping. Once you're back outside, repeat the command to turn clipping off :)

Thanks mate, I'll give that I go. It's so damn frustrating as I spent hours in there collecting good loot :lol:

If you've made it to the roof that should trigger the mission right there.

I must have not have been on good terms with the occupants as they opened fire when I arrived at the roof, so naturally I returned fire and you can imagine how that ended.

They were most likely shooting at a super mutant. Reilly's rangers should always be friendly when you first encounter them. You would normally run into an unconscious Reilly at underworld in the back. If you have her waken she will give you the quest to get her team from the roof. Doing this will get you the code to the ammo box you will find next to Theos corpse in one of the stair cases. You don't have to talk to her though. The first time I did this quest it was much like you. I was exploring and just happened to run into them there. So long as you don't shoot at them you have the option of giving them a fission battery and helping them escape. Doing so and then making your way over to the ranger compound will reward you with either the ranger armor which is a better version of combat armor or you can choose a unique mini gun called Eugene. If you're a big guns character the gun is the way to go. The armor is good but once you unlock the ability to use power armor you won't want to wear anything else. You can also obtain multiple armors/guns if you want. Only one of the three has to make it back to the ranger compound. If the other two die you can grab their armors and the mini gun and then ask for the gun as your reward for getting the last one out alive. You can also talk to Reilly and get an unmarked quest where you take a geo mapper and map out parts of the wasteland. This is a good way to earn caps. Lastly you can come here to get patched up for free by their medic.

No the enemies dont level up with you. There are places on the map that have very difficult enemies.

You are not kidding! :lol: I snuck into Hubris Comics through the drains, and after 'one-popping' all the feral ghouls in the drains (you gotta love the VATS headshots on them!), I ventured upstairs. I managed to kill Mad John, and confiscate his mini-gun, and decided to exit through the front entrance that leads to Franklin Metro station...

Holy crap! I spotted the first super tough mutant dude thing in a plaza taking pot shots at me with a hunting rifle, so I dropped him like a bad habit, but felt a tap on my back as I took damage from something... I turned around only to be greeted by FOUR more of those mutants, one of which was also carrying a mini-gun! Rather frantically, I left one more soaking on the floor, before I had to make like a banana and spilt!

It is a good job that those monsters don't follow you into buildings, because my number would have surely been up! :lol:

So in the beginning try to stay near the first few towns and do the missions for Moira in Megaton. She will have you do missions for the wasteland survival guide. This will help you get familiar with the areas and help you level up just in case you encounter a tough enemy.

Hahaha, Moira is in cloud cuckoo land! I've lied through all her missions, it worked like a charm, but I only wish that lying got you the trophies for the missions too. I only realised this was not the case after the fact... :lol:

When I first started I used the locker in the Megaton male bathroom.

Nice tip! I never thought of that, but I have been wondering where to store all the superfluous tat I collect on my travels. 👍

If you are carrying 2 of the same weapon or 2 of the same armor, you can use the extra to repair the other similar item. That helps a lot to reduce weight on your body and to make each weapon or armor stronger.

Thanks for this tip too, I've just started using it! Saves me a fortune in repair bills! 👍

Some low level areas to explore would be springvale school, vault 106 and vault 108. I would avoid pushing into metro DC until you've reached a higher level. If you haven't yet I would suggest finding rivet city.

Yep, I've done Springvale school, One of the Vaults, SuperDuper Mart, and the surrounding areas around Arefu. I've skirted on the edges of the city itself, but it gets pretty hairy down there at times.

The thing that gets me though is that the easy places are not sign posted at all, they seem to be interspersed with the really difficult places, and it is not always obvious which way you are supposed to be going, if you don't follow the missions. I usually find myself wandering around aimlessly... 👍

This game gets better and better! I've found a fair few places on the map now, thought judging by the info online, I am not even near half way there yet. I've also got dogmeat (I used an online guide to find him). :crazy:

I killed my first super mutant behemoth the other day (four more to go). To be fair though, he was caged up by the Evergreen Mill. :sly: Damn, that guy can soak up some heat, I was down to my 10mm pistol before he finally dropped!

I've developed a great tactic too to get rid of some of the nasty monsters you meet in the wasteland. If you see one at distance, grab its attention with a sniper rifle of a long range gun, then immediately swap to the mines and drop a few as you are backing up. I haven't found any monsters that are clever enough to dodge them yet (all seem to run in a straight line towards you), and they fall for the trap every time. By the time they get to me they are so heavily damaged or crippled, that you can take them out with no hassle at all. I figured this tactic out after having a three-way fight with two Yoiu Gui bear-like monsters, and a mister gutsy! 👍

I have some gripes with the game though, and they concern the mechanics rather than the gameplay.

First of all, it is far to easy to be good. I wouldn't say that I have gone out of my way to be a good guy, but I find myself with almost perfect karma. Looking online, it is clear to see the problem. I think the game over-rewards for good acts, whilst it hardly punishes you for bad acts.

The other gripe is that I find it is far too easy to level up. I was only level 5 the other day, now I am level 14, and I have only done 8 quests. Thankfully, I still have 16 levels to go, but I don't see that as much of a problem, and I think I will be at level 30 before the end of the week. Why is it so easy?

Another minor gripe is that some of the active quests I had open, have suddenly been superseded, and I can't seem to do them. For instance the Galaxy Radio quest, has gone. I have spoken to Doctor Li in Rivet city about my father, so I guess that is why it has gone, but It would have still been nice to do it any how.

There also seems to be some very unbalanced missions in the game. All the mission that Moira gave me were pretty easy, but I found the mission to look for that lads father in Grayditch to be the toughest I had encountered to date. I remembered playing that mission on the original version of the game I had, and found it almost impossible.

It was tough, even now, with a selection of heavy weaponry. Lord knows how they expected you to finish it with just a 10mm pistol. I assumed that the developers expected you to be doing the mission with a 10mm pistol, as that is all the ammo I found whilst wandering through the caves looking for the ant queen.

Right, back off wandering for me. 👍

You're doing it wrong.

Damn right I am! :lol: The right way is to let Dogmeat do all the hard work, and sit back to claim all the free XP!!!

Holy crap Dogmeat is a killer! I scouted Mason Dixie Salvage the other day, but got the heebee geebies once I noticed the six or seven super mutants there. I decided to take a trip back there today, with Dogmeat, to teach them a lesson, and boy, was it a lesson!

I don't know if anyone else has done this, but if you scout the perimeter of Mason Dixie Salvage, you can get the map marker for it without having to enter the place.

I decided to fast travel there and got plopped right into the middle of hell - we were encircled by six or seven Super mutants, one was a brute, and two centaurs. I think I only fired around 10-15 rounds from my shottie, Dogmeat did the rest. At one point he was toe-to-toe with 3 super mutants, which he defeated single handedly, along with the two centaurs, and the Super mutant brute. He also played a part in the demise of the other 3 super mutants.

After all was said and done, I did a VATS thing to double-check Dogmeats health, and he hadn't even taken a single hit!!! I don't know who gave that dog an attitude, but he is hard as nails! Seriously though, Dogmeat is WAAAAY over powered. How did the developers not noticed that?

You're doing it wrong.

Joking aside, what am I doing wrong? 💡

You want to talk about overpowered... Just wait until you can take Fawkes as a partner. Having your own super mutant with a gatling laser and seemingly unlimited health will make dogmeat look like a newborn puppy.

:lol: He speaks the truth.

My Dogmeat was a pansy... he got killed by three raiders. This was during Broken Steel, and if you first meet up with Dogmeat during BS he becomes absurdly strong. Not for me. :indiff:

Damn right I am! :lol: The right way is to let Dogmeat do all the hard work, and sit back to claim all the free XP!!!

----

Joking aside, what am I doing wrong? 💡

If he does most of the damage, you don't get the XP.

If he does most of the damage, you don't get the XP.

:lol: I was just going to post about this! Dogmeat has become something of a curse... He is just too good at ass-kicking! He is stealing all the kills, and my XP, not all of it, I still get some, but not the full whack.

I don't know how the mechanics of it work exactly yet, but I get a reduced figure that seems consistent. For example when fighting those super mutants, if Dogmeat strikes the fatal blow, I get 13xp, If I get the fatal blow I get 65xp. Maybe the inclusion of the companions was to limit the player XP later as they level? If that is the case, the I'm not going to look for that Faukes guy that TA mentioned.

Speaking of ass-kicking, I've just found Paradise Falls. The dude on the front gate wanted me to go slaving, he gave me a mesmatron, and I turned it on him! Being the militant black guy I am, the thought of slaving sent me postal. Dogmeat and I have cleared out the compound, and are at this very moment outside Eulogy's front door, ready to go in blasting! We are regulators, and justice must be served!!! 👍

You killed the slavers? While that's noble, it's nice to get a huge supply of Mesmetron ammunition before you do.

It's not just the final blow. Whoever deals the most damage gets the lion's share of XP.

Fawkes is great to have. Yes, your levelling slows down after you get him, but his presence allows you a little security on some of the more dangerous quests... though by the time you get close to the 20 level cap (unless you have the add ons and the higher cap), there's very little, really, aside from a platoon of Deathclaws, that can kill you easily.

You killed the slavers? While that's noble, it's nice to get a huge supply of Mesmetron ammunition before you do.

Can't I get any more from anywhere else?

I also found a 100% fully conditioned powered fist in their barracks, in one of the buckets, it looks like it could deal some death!

It's not just the final blow. Whoever deals the most damage gets the lion's share of XP.

Ok, cool. Does that mean that Dogmeat Levels up then? Or is the XP wasted?

Can't I get any more from anywhere else?

The slaver mentions an army base, but I've scoured around, I can't find any. Might be in the wiki.

I also found a 100% fully conditioned powered fist in their barracks, in one of the buckets, it looks like it could deal some death!

Never used mine. Collected enough Powerfists to make a whole one, but never used it. I like the Shish-ke-bab better. But I hate hand-to-hand in general.

Ok, cool. Does that mean that Dogmeat Levels up then? Or is the XP wasted?

Your companion levels up with you... so... yes, it's wasted.

:lol: I was just going to post about this! Dogmeat has become something of a curse... He is just too good at ass-kicking! He is stealing all the kills, and my XP, not all of it, I still get some, but not the full whack.

I don't know how the mechanics of it work exactly yet, but I get a reduced figure that seems consistent. For example when fighting those super mutants, if Dogmeat strikes the fatal blow, I get 13xp, If I get the fatal blow I get 65xp. Maybe the inclusion of the companions was to limit the player XP later as they level? If that is the case, the I'm not going to look for that Faukes guy that TA mentioned.

Speaking of ass-kicking, I've just found Paradise Falls. The dude on the front gate wanted me to go slaving, he gave me a mesmatron, and I turned it on him! Being the militant black guy I am, the thought of slaving sent me postal. Dogmeat and I have cleared out the compound, and are at this very moment outside Eulogy's front door, ready to go in blasting! We are regulators, and justice must be served!!! 👍

Glad to see you are enjoying the game and yes it gets even better and better as you progress. Just wait until you see Broken Steel. That DLC is so epic but make sure you are well equipped before entering that!!

The exp is determined by who does the most damage. If you are attacking an enemy and you do more damage than anyone else, you get the exp. Doesnt matter if it is the last hit or the first hit. If you do the most, you get the exp.

If it starts to get too easy, you can increase the difficulty at any time. I went through the game 3 times on the very hardest difficulty. You get much more exp but the enemies also do a lot more damage.

And as someone said above, if you get Fawkes, he will suck up all your exp in battle. That guy is just unstoppable and kills everyone really fast. So if you dont want him taking all your exp, dont let him fight much. Or set him to "melee weapons only". He shows up later in the game. He is way overpowered but you will see why when you get to that point. :lol:

Glad to see you are enjoying the game and yes it gets even better and better as you progress. Just wait until you see Broken Steel. That DLC is so epic but make sure you are well equipped before entering that!!

Now that I can hold my own against the worst that the wasteland can throw at me, this game is really starting to shine. It was tough when the rad roaches were constantly tearing me a new one, but I'm past that phase now. I haven't seen a deathclaw yet though...

I've got all the DLC so when I get around to figuring them out, I will look into Broken steel. 👍

If it starts to get too easy, you can increase the difficulty at any time. I went through the game 3 times on the very hardest difficulty. You get much more exp but the enemies also do a lot more damage.

I'm going to play the game again on a harder setting next time, but for this first time, the default setting will do. 👍

And as someone said above, if you get Fawkes, he will suck up all your exp in battle. That guy is just unstoppable and kills everyone really fast. So if you dont want him taking all your exp, dont let him fight much. Or set him to "melee weapons only". He shows up later in the game. He is way overpowered but you will see why when you get to that point. :lol:

I'll have to remember that one! 👍

As for Dogmeat, I am convinced that he is not only bullet proof, but fire proof, explosive proof, and whatever else you care to think of proof! :lol: His last escapade saw him taking out a Protectoron, and a Mr Gutsy single handedly. I witness the Protectoron shooting directly at Dogmeat with its gatling laser, I even saw the blood flying everywhere, but again Dogmeat took no damage! 👍

On the lower difficulties yes Dogmeat is decent. You will lose him in your first Deathclaw battle or Yao-Guai battle. So save often just in case you run into one of those. It wont be much longer and you will see one for sure. And you will probably crap yourself. I know I did when I saw my first deathclaw. lol!! :lol:
If you want to see them go check out New Olney.

Latest Posts

Back