Fallout 3

• Thread starter NLxAROSA
  • 756 comments
Mesmatron ammo is probably the rarest ammo there is next to the alien power cell.

Is there some sort of glitch where dogmeat wont find you weapons? I tell him to find weapons but he doesn't move and the dialog window opens again. He will still find me ammo and stuff though.

Mesmatron ammo is probably the rarest ammo there is next to the alien power cell.

Is there some sort of glitch where dogmeat wont find you weapons? I tell him to find weapons but he doesn't move and the dialog window opens again. He will still find me ammo and stuff though.
The game has quite a few bugs with Dogmeat (I had the 360 version). I got to the point where I quit having him search for anything because I would never see him again and I would have to load an old save.

Has anyone discovered L.O.B. Enterprises yet? It is not marked on the map, but can be accessed through the metro system at Fallschurch East, or through Arlington Cometary. You have to wade through some Super Mutants in the streets, and a posse of Robots once your there, but the place is chock full of ammunition and parts for your weapons.

I travelled to Point lookout last night too. I didn't stay too long because I didn't have my faithful hound with me. :lol: I think I will use the bug to get him with me, because that place seems really creepy! :scared: :lol:

On the lower difficulties yes Dogmeat is decent. You will lose him in your first Deathclaw battle or Yao-Guai battle. So save often just in case you run into one of those. It wont be much longer and you will see one for sure. And you will probably crap yourself. I know I did when I saw my first deathclaw. lol!! :lol:
If you want to see them go check out New Olney.

I might have to pop down to New Olney then... :lol: 👍

Yao-Guai's are mere child's play for Dogmeat! I run into them quite often in the Wasteland, especially around the Regulators HQ. Usually the first thing I hear is Dogmeat bark, then he runs off for the kill. By the time I realise where the fight is, Dogmeat has usually downed the beast in question.

I've been looking at the Fallout Wiki, and they claim that there is a bug (when the game has the DLC), that makes Dogmeat super powerful.

From wiki
If Dogmeat is recruited after installing the add-on Broken Steel, Dogmeat levels with the player and will have a massive amount of health. See bugs section.

And:

From wiki
Dogmeat's level scaling in Broken Steel is set up improperly, causing him to gain 5 times the health and damage dealt than what was intended.

Point lookout is one of my favorite places. I find it is also the most laggy though. You can find a lot of good stuff there though if you're patient. The sunken submarine is fairly creepy to.

As I mentioned earlier, I recruited Dogmeat during Broken Steel and he got killed by three raiders. :grumpy: Maybe that's an unintended side-effect of having the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch installed :(

I'm taking my time with this game. Just levelled up to level 8 yesterday, and currently I have to find some stuff about Dad in the Jefferson Memorial building.

I find myself being occupied more with side quests than the main quest, because they are fantastic fun. Right now I have to find the Declaration of Independence in the National Archives, but it seems I have to do some optional quests to get my hands on it for good karma. The girl I found who had access to the mainframe got killed by a boobytrap, which I set off (:lol:), so I have to find another way to get my hands on it.

Does anyone know what exactly you have to do to use the powered armour. I've got a couple of suits I liberated, but I can't figure out how to get the perk.

Point lookout is one of my favorite places. I find it is also the most laggy though. You can find a lot of good stuff there though if you're patient. The sunken submarine is fairly creepy to.

I'd go more often if I wasn't wasting all my caps on ammo and guns the 431 cap ticket is a bit of a put off. 👍

I'm taking my time with this game.

Same here. I've only completed 11 quests myself. As for locations, I've only discovered around 46 of more than 225! 👍

I find myself being occupied more with side quests than the main quest, because they are fantastic fun.

Hahaha yeah, one of my recent favourites has to be 'Super Human Gamgit! :lol: Proper funny that one! 👍

Right now I have to find the Declaration of Independence in the National Archives, but it seems I have to do some optional quests to get my hands on it for good karma.

That one is next on my list, once I fight my way there! I'm too busy at the moment wandering through the wastes collecting fingers! 👍

Play through Operation Anchorage, you automatically get it there. Saves waiting for the perk to become available to you in the base story through levelling up, plus you get some really awesome weapons :)

mag - I've never had to buy any ammo nor weapons. If you run around killing raiders etc, if you loot their bodies afterwards you'll start to rack up a *lot* of ammunition ;)

I think I only pay 270 caps to get there. You should rank up your barter skill early on. It will make it a lot easier to obtain better items from vendors. In fact with 100 barter and the 25% off perk you can buy multiple items from vendors, repair them to 100% and then sell them back to the same vendor for a large profit. Go to canterbury commons and invest in crow and lucky harrith. they will then have very good items and you can make a fortune doing this.

I Popped up to Old Olney last night, to check out the deathclaws, and they are fearsome beasts, definitely the toughest I have faced so far. Still they were no match for our double team. I managed to bag 8 or 9 out in the open, just wandering around, before I went back onto the quests. Apart from being nearly indestructible, I think that Dogmeat has some bonuses because he is so small. The deathclaws, couldn't lay a hand on him.

:lol: I found a door to the sewers in Old Olney, and found two deathclaws down there. Dogmeat held his own, but I got my ass spanked. They are much tougher in confined spaces, and once they had me backed into a corner, it was all over. :(

Saying that though, Dogmeat nearly met his maker at he hands of a Feral Ghoul Reaver, they are tough little buggers! This is the first and only time that I have seen Dogmeat's health drop so low that I feared for his life. After the battle though, his health shot right up, even before I used a stimpack on him.

I've also managed to get the power armour perk too, you get it after you evac the scientists to the Citadel. I've got a nice set of Hellfire Powered Armour that I liberated from an Enclave goon. 👍

mag - I've never had to buy any ammo nor weapons. If you run around killing raiders etc, if you loot their bodies afterwards you'll start to rack up a *lot* of ammunition

Maybe next time I will do that, this time around, I'm a god guy. 👍

I think I only pay 270 caps to get there. You should rank up your barter skill early on. It will make it a lot easier to obtain better items from vendors. In fact with 100 barter and the 25% off perk you can buy multiple items from vendors, repair them to 100% and then sell them back to the same vendor for a large profit. Go to canterbury commons and invest in crow and lucky harrith. they will then have very good items and you can make a fortune doing this.

Yeah, my barter skills are really poor. I dropped all my points into Lockpicking, sneak, repair and some gun related skills. I'm just finding my feet this time around, I will have a better understanding next time. 👍

Hmmm... The game seems to have moved into a different phase. I'm bumping into the Enclave pretty darn regularly now. I've stumbled across a couple of checkpoints (great for getting spare powered armour), and I'm seeing their choppers flying overhead even now and then, especially around GNR. Is this story driven?

:lol: If it isn't them, it is those Talon Company mercs... They have a habit of popping up when you don, expect or need them!

One thing I do like about the world the game is set in is the random nature of some events. I often see monsters fighting each other, or even mass battles that are fun to watch. I also like the lighting in the game that indicates the time of day, it is very atmospheric, and definitely adds to the atmosphere. 👍

I've found a couple of great guns too. I got the terrible shotgun from Evergreen Bazzaar, and I found the superb victory rifle from a sniper shack near vault 87 - a truly awesome weapon. I've coupled it with the better criticals perk, and (if I am hidden, which is usually the case), I can pop super mutants, and anything below them, with one or two shots! I've maxed out small weapons too, so the sniper rifles sight doesn't wander, that helps a lot with the difficult shots. 👍

I've also sinked some points into barter, which is paying dividends. Before TA mentioned that, I was struggling to get any caps, I have more than 5k now, and it grows steadily. it helps having the Enclave respawn checkpoints, because you can be guaranteeda healthy sum of money from the gear they drop. 👍

Nope not really story driven but this is the part we mentioned when the more difficult AI enemies would unlock after you level up higher. Glad to see you finally enountered some deathclaws. I about crapped myself with my first encounter. I fast traveled to some new location and boom out of nowhere a deathclaw lunged at me killing me instantly. It was fairly early in the game too so I was obviously not in a location I should have been in. But it scared the crap out of me.

Last edited:
The enclave and talon company will randomly spawn outside of several map makers. Beware of this when you fast travel to them. If you encounter them somewhere it is likely they will be there again when you come back.

Most power stations are like this for one. The Arlington library is another.

I had a bit of a mad encounter earlier on too. I was making my way towards GNR along the river bank from Rivet city, and I got to Fairweather heights (?), and I spotted a couple of raiders by some barricades. I started to snipe them from across the street, just outside of their perception range, and tagged one, then all hell broke loose behind me!

Dogmeat was barking like a mo-fo, so I turned around to see what was going on, only to find a super mutant brute bearing down on me with a missile launcher! I fumbled as I tried to swap weapons in time to attack him, but he just ran right past me, and headed off towards the raiders!

At that exact same moment, the Talon company mercs chose to attack too. I dropped two of them, and was about to drop the third, when the game crashed.

You have to love those random encounters! 👍

Nope not really story driven but this is the part we mentioned when the more difficult AI enemies would unlock after you level up higher.

It is definitely getting tougher, that is for sure. I'm enjoying the challenge though. Had a fight with some enclave goons by a disused petrol station, and the idiots were spraying plasma fire everywhere. One of them set a car on fire, which exploded like a fat man, the blast wiped out the enclave soldiers, and almost sent me to an early grave. I'm a bit more cautious around cars now... :nervous:

Glad to see you finally enountered some deathclaws. I about crapped myself with my first encounter. I fast traveled to some new location and boom out of nowhere a deathclaw lunged at me killing me instantly. It was fairly early in the game too so I was obviously not in a location I should have been in. But it scared the crap out of me.

I first encountered one just outside Canturbury Commons, and I did crap myself then! I was not even scanning the horizon, as I should have been, and the thing just appeared out of thin air (or from around a bluff). :lol:

The earliest I ran into a deathclaw is the last time I started a new game. I was level 2 and was making my way to the super duper mart. I managed to take it out with my 10mm pistol.

Oh my! There is a new ass-kicker in town, that makes the deathclaws look timid - the feral ghoul reaver!!! Holy crap they are too tough, almost refusing to die!!!

I'm bumping into them more and more now, when I venture into the metro system, and it can be quite hard to differentiate them from regular feral ghouls. According to the Fallout 3 wiki, they are TWICE as durable as deathclaws... :eek:

I've learned something too. I didn't know that you could queue attacks in V.A.T.S. :dunce: :lol:

:lol: I got outclassed by a radroach earlier too!

I had a bruising run in with some feral ghoul reavers in the metro, but managed to defeat them, and I was faced with a door with two 'monsters' behind it. Not wanting to take the chance that there could be more feral ghouls reavers in the room, I decided to drop a bottlecap mine in the door way, with the view of opening the door and quickly retreating to a safe distance.

I hurriedly opened the door, and backed off ready for the assault, but nothing came out of the room... I scanned what I could see of the room from a safe distance, but still nothing came out, so I moved into the doorway.

It was then that I heard the tell-tale scurrying of the radroaches and looked down to see one running towards me. it took a second or so for me to realise what was going on, and I said to myself "Oh f..." BOOOM!!!! :lol: I didn't get chance to finish my sentence as the bottle cap mine that was in the door way, and at my feet, went off!!!

Fortunately, I did not die, but I was left with single figures HP. Feeling rather annoyed (and a little stupid), I stormed the room with my flamer, to collect the remaining 2xp... :dunce: :lol:

The earliest I ran into a deathclaw is the last time I started a new game. I was level 2 and was making my way to the super duper mart. I managed to take it out with my 10mm pistol.

Nice! How did you manage that!?

I hate reavers more than anything. They are still tough even at level 30. The easiest way to tell them apart from a distance is the fact that they have a green glow to them. The easiest way to deal with them is to not. The ghoul mask is a life saver with them.

I also recommend hot keying stim-packs on the D pad if you haven't already. With a high barter skill it is easy to have a high amount and thus giving you an almost god like mode. Giving tech to the BOS outcasts is another great way to get them cheap.

As for the deathclaw, it had been weakened to about half health by some NPCs and I stood behind the fence taking pot shots at it.

I've had a couple of nice weapon drops lately - the tri-beam laser, and the gatling laser, both liberated from solo mutant overlords. both guns rock, but the gatling laser is on another level (shame the ammo for it is so hard to find). 👍

I'm currently clearing out the National Guard armory, that is an awesome place for weaponry. Those mister Gutsy's make me laugh with their dialogue. Their is something funny about hearing a robot say "God will understand!" as it tries to kill you. :lol:

I hate reavers more than anything. They are still tough even at level 30. The easiest way to tell them apart from a distance is the fact that they have a green glow to them. The easiest way to deal with them is to not. The ghoul mask is a life saver with them.

I've learned that you don't go looking for reavers, they find you! More often than not, they are put in places that are unavoidable, and by the time you realise what is going on, all hell has broken loose! Their speed also plays against you, they are lightening fast!

If I can though, I try to get a sneak critical with the victory rifle, because, apart from the awesome damage it deals, it can knock them to the floor, giving me chance to swap to another big weapon like the missile launcher. 👍

I also recommend hot keying stim-packs on the D pad if you haven't already. With a high barter skill it is easy to have a high amount and thus giving you an almost god like mode. Giving tech to the BOS outcasts is another great way to get them cheap.

:lol: Mapping my stimpacks was the first thing I did! Tell you the truth though, I find more of them than I use. I prefer to collect all the smaller health items, and thanks to a strong back, I'm usually carrying 50kg of that kind of stuff at any given moment.

I'll look into the BOS tech thingy too, I usually either keep the best stuff, or repair and trade it for caps.

As for the deathclaw, it had been weakened to about half health by some NPCs and I stood behind the fence taking pot shots at it.

Excellent! 👍

Yeah if you decide to be a good guy all the time, the Talon Company mercs can be a real pain, popping up randomly and giving you a good, if annoying, brief tussle.
But the deathclaws? Hate them, HATE THEM!

Bloody hell, this game rocks!!! It's been one of the heaviest nights of fighting since I started playing this game. I spent the first hour battling towards GNR (killing a behemoth in the process), then once I had met three-dog, I took his quest up, to retrieve a replacement satellite dish from a museum someplace.

On the way, I fought hordes of super mutants, first in the hospital, then through the hotel where the Reilly's Rangers were holed up in, then in the streets below... I moved onto the Capitol building, cleared that of super mutants, and a second behemoth, as well as Talon company mercs, and the Enclave...

Once that was finished, I moved out into the Mall and fought my way through the trenches towards the Washington Monument, slaying legions of mutant overlords in the process! Holy crap, what a night! The upshot is that I am starting to level quicker again, as the monsters are so powerful, I am almost guaranteed to deal the lion share of the damage. Thankfully, I have Eugene, a tri-beam laser, and a gatling laser to ease the pain.

I called it a night once I got to the obelisk though... I need to give my trigger finger a rest! Tonight was tough, and I am only playing on normal, god help me when I try it on hard!!! :nervous:

On a side note, I'm liking the critical kills with the tri-beam laser - it vaporises the target! :lol:

So this game just randomly decided to quit to the XMB screen. I've had just about every other glitch happen and now this.

Lucky you! I would rather that, than the PS3 locking up every now and then, forcing a hard reset. :lol:

Oh my! There is a new ass-kicker in town, that makes the deathclaws look timid - the feral ghoul reaver!!! Holy crap they are too tough, almost refusing to die!!!

I'm bumping into them more and more now, when I venture into the metro system, and it can be quite hard to differentiate them from regular feral ghouls. According to the Fallout 3 wiki, they are TWICE as durable as deathclaws... :eek:

I've learned something too. I didn't know that you could queue attacks in V.A.T.S. :dunce: :lol:

:lol: I got outclassed by a radroach earlier too!

I had a bruising run in with some feral ghoul reavers in the metro, but managed to defeat them, and I was faced with a door with two 'monsters' behind it. Not wanting to take the chance that there could be more feral ghouls reavers in the room, I decided to drop a bottlecap mine in the door way, with the view of opening the door and quickly retreating to a safe distance.

I hurriedly opened the door, and backed off ready for the assault, but nothing came out of the room... I scanned what I could see of the room from a safe distance, but still nothing came out, so I moved into the doorway.

It was then that I heard the tell-tale scurrying of the radroaches and looked down to see one running towards me. it took a second or so for me to realise what was going on, and I said to myself "Oh f..." BOOOM!!!! :lol: I didn't get chance to finish my sentence as the bottle cap mine that was in the door way, and at my feet, went off!!!

Fortunately, I did not die, but I was left with single figures HP. Feeling rather annoyed (and a little stupid), I stormed the room with my flamer, to collect the remaining 2xp... :dunce: :lol:
Oh yeah the VATS is the best part of Fallout 3. I thought you already had the Vats mastered. Once you master that its much much better. You can target each individual body part making the battle much more fun. And some of the headshot results are very gory and satisfying. Just like this video. http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/307956.html
If you think you are having fun now, just wait until you finish the story and go into Broken Steel. THAT is the best part of the entire game. Just battle after battle and so epic. Just make sure you stock up before you do that. I went through it on the hardest difficulty and over 80 stimpacks. By the end I was drinking from toilets to survive.

I just cant wait for Fallout New Vegas.

I was in the middle of the pitt and hadn't saved since I left megaton.

:ouch: Ouch! it's a bugger when that happens. I find myself saving after nearly every kill in certain places in the game. 👍

Oh yeah the VATS is the best part of Fallout 3. I thought you already had the Vats mastered.

I used VATS a lot when I first started the game, it gave me chance to think a bit if the combat got a little hairy. I kinda got out of it as the power of my weaponry increased, I still don't use it much, but it does have its uses, especially against certain monsters.

One new tactic I have against the super mutants is to rush into combat, with a heavy gun, then as I get close, I switch to the terrible shotgun, or the tri-beam laser, and go for the VATS headshot. It is usually game over once I get that close. This tactic works well with dogmeat, as he is enough of a distraction for me to close the distance and and get the kill.

VATS is very handy if you get surprised by a monster too. I also use VATS to target the enemies weapon, especially if it is a heavy gun. I hate the gatling lasers and the tri-beam lasers, they really do my head in! :lol:

Speaking of which, as I entered the Mall from the Capitol building last night, I was instantly confronted with four super mutant overlords, each with tri-beam lasers! I got my arse handed to me on a plate there, and it took me two or three atempts to get the strategy right. They were too far for the rush, and too numerous tackle head on, so, I opted instead to show a clean pair of heels, and backtracked, taking one out at a time, it was still a tough fight, but worth the rewards (ie a mint conditioned tri-beam laser). 👍

Yeah, yeah, still playing through this great game. I've just completed Operation Anchorage, it was a little lame, and seemed out of place compared the the world I had gotten used to. Still, you gotta love that jingoistic Sarge that follows you around - "Don't mess with the U.S." :lol: I had to drop some buffout to carry all the gear out of the cache once I finished the mission though... Lucky I did too, because I can't get back in there. :grumpy: That gauss sniper rifle is absolutely badass!!!

I popped over to Tenpenny Towers too. I blagged my way into the penthouse suite and found Tenpenny sitting on a balcony overlooking the wasteland. I blew his head off before he had even finished his first sentence, and left his corpse soaking in his seat! I was expecting a fire-fight back out of the tower, but nobody looked twice!

Does anyone know the score with the XP the game rewards you for each kill? I know Dogmeat can affect the amount given, but even for kills where he plays no part, I don't always get the same XP for killing the same monsters. Am I right in thinking that the XP awarded is dependent on how you kill the monster in question?

Does anyone know the score with the XP the game rewards you for each kill? I know Dogmeat can affect the amount given, but even for kills where he plays no part, I don't always get the same XP for killing the same monsters. Am I right in thinking that the XP awarded is dependent on how you kill the monster in question?

Actually, Dogmeat doesnt affect how much XP enemies give you. Each enemy in the game gives a fixed amount of XP when you kill it. That amount is modified by the difficulty you have the game set to. Very Easy = 50% XP per kill, Easy = 75%, Normal = 100%, Hard = 125%, and Very Hard = 150%. Also, the Swift Learner perk adds 10% of the total XP per kill, for each rank you have, (up to 30%). The Well Rested effect can also add 10%.

Actually, Dogmeat doesnt affect how much XP enemies give you. Each enemy in the game gives a fixed amount of XP when you kill it. That amount is modified by the difficulty you have the game set to. Very Easy = 50% XP per kill, Easy = 75%, Normal = 100%, Hard = 125%, and Very Hard = 150%. Also, the Swift Learner perk adds 10% of the total XP per kill, for each rank you have, (up to 30%). The Well Rested effect can also add 10%.

I know Dogmeat does not change how much XP a monster gives, but he does affect how much XP you receive, if he has had a hand in the defeat of the said monster. That was my understanding from a previous discussion regarding this, but I am having some confusing XP rewards, that do not seem to stack up.

I recently completed operation Anchorage, and in one instance, I got 104xp for killing a single crimson stealth warrior. I never got the same reward for killing any others before or after that one though. It got me wondering, because for that kill I only used a knife, as whilst the others were killed with different types of weapons.

Another example is this. according to the Fallout 3 wiki you get 60xp for killing a super mutant overlord.

I am always well rested, and I have the full 30% perk modifier, and I play on normal setting. I should get 84xp for each kill, but I have never had higher than 72xp for any overlord kill. Assuming that I might not have been well-rested, I still should have received at least 78xp.

Basically, what I am asking is there an xp modifier that is dependent on the weapon you use? For instance, do you get additional xp for killing a person/monster with a weaker weapon, as opposed to a weapon that would kill them in a single shot?

I don't know if this is the case, but it would stack up with my observations. 👍

Ohhh I know where your confusion is coming from!! If you are well rested you get 10% more exp. Every time you sleep at your designated home, you become well rested and get 10% exp. Took me a while to figure that out too. After a while a message will come up saying "You are no longer well rested". At that point you wont get the 10% exp bonus.

OH woops I just read the part where you said you were well rested. lol Nevermind. Maybe it depends on if it is a headshot or bodykill or maybe less in VATS. Maybe more when you dont use VATS.

Another thing that puzzles me (though this time I'm not complaining about it), is that I seem to be completing missions without even having to do them, and I'm getting the trophy for them too!

As an example, I recently completed the operation Anchorage add-on, and once I collected the winterised armour, I also completed the mission 'You gotta shoot them in the head!'

If my memory serves me correctly, for that mission I had to blow the heads off Tenpenny, Dukov, and Dave, and return some evidence to the ghoul in underworld. I haven't done that yet, but I completed the mission.

What's going on there?

Latest Posts

Back