Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
Bizarre stuff happens.

In the "Curie" story, I tried using the Mole Rat Cure on myself, (which annoyed a few people) and rode the elevator up with Preston and Curie who decided to have a severe disagreement resulting in a lot of damage. Stimpacked Preston back to life and all went quiet, however, Curie disappeared.

On reloading a save prior to my selfish act, I did the right thing with the Mole Rat Cure, took Curie as a companion, moved the story on until I had to hook up with Nick Valentine. At this stage I sent Curie to Sanctuary, however, she seems to have got lost.

Anybody know how to find a lost companion?

Looking for a ENB that will make the game look more vibrant and interesting. Right now, I'm running subtle ENB and it's OK. I really like the Focus effect and the better shadows (w/o true shadows mod) But besides that, the look is largely vanilla. Switching to vibrant later today, bit that only jacks the colors to 11. Any suggestions of a good playable ENB?

This is a long story. It exposes some spoilers about the BOS and Paladin Danse, hence I hid it. If you've never been on the Prydwen, maybe you should not click on ...
Fallout update. My recent adventures...

The arrogance of the BOS finally got under my skin, so I planned what I call "The Prydwen Massacre"

Danse takes me on the scenic flight over Boston

On arrival, I was given the speech about "Ad Victorium", and how if I shaped up, they'd give me (a no-doubt entry-level) set of Power Armor. The dumbass didn't notice that I was wearing a seriously upgraded set of Power Armor with matching Military Paint, and that I was carrying an arsenal of firepower including missiles, mini-nukes and thousands of rounds of various ammo types.

Inside, Elder Maxson gives a fatuous speech which pushes me over the edge, SO...

I systematically loot all the ammo boxes I can find. Nobody cares.

Then I lay a mine field right through the ship, starting at the quartermaster's office, and moving back through the mess and the proctologist (Proctor) offices. Bottlecap mines, Cryo mines, frag mines, almost the entire collection. Nobody cares.

I'm thinking when this lot ignites, the Prydwen should be blown out of the sky.

Also, I figure that to start it off, all I have to do is to put a bullet into one of the BOS dumbasses, and because we are in conflict, my mines will start exploding when BOS guys get near or step on them.

That didn't work. They all got madder than hell and opened fire. The mines were dormant. The air is full of projectiles.

OK, Plan B. Swallow a cocktail of chems to boost HP and AP, washed down with a Refreshing Beverage to wipe away any addiction side effects. Switch to my (very special) Missile Launcher and use VATS to target a mine near a crowd of dumbasses.

That single act set off a chain reaction which probably wiped out 50% of the arrogant fools.

By now, Elder Maxson, the quartermaster and Maxson's proctologists had arrived and they're going berserk.

I'm doubling down. Popping Stimpacks, dropping mines right in front of me, restoring APs with any concoction I can find and firing missiles into any group of arrogant shmucks I can target.

The chaos is incredible.

Eventually, the floor is littered with BOS uniforms and opposition is reduced to a small number of holdouts which I pick off one by one.

Finally, loot the bodies, loot the quartermaster's shop, loot until I can't run (I even take Paladin Danse’s synth component), repair my power armor. I can't quite believe it's over, but it is.

I go outside, it's night and I can't fast travel because I'm in conflict with BOS goons on the ground around Boston Airport.

OK. Time to jump into the dark water below. It's a long way down, but I'm in Power Armor. Some BOS guys on a suicide mission come wading out after me. And the commotion has attracted a few Mirelurks. By this stage, the red haze of war is affecting me. I'm pumping chems by the gallon, and now that I'm in the open air, I switch to my Fat Man for some real explosive power. The night lights up. Again and again.

Pretty soon, all is quiet. I know there are BOS holdouts in the Airport, but they can wait.

Return to Sanctuary. Drop off the loot, pick up Deacon and return to Prydwen for more looting. I'm not going to be satisfied until the Prydwen is a useless shell of a memorial to BOS arrogance.

Surprise! There are two surviving arrogant BOS idiots. But I can't kill them, because they are BOS Squires. Children. With attitude. Bethesda doesn't want us to kill kids. Even really annoying kids. So I ignore them and resume looting, at which point they're following me around issuing threats like "If I had a gun...". I guess being immortal gives a boost to one's confidence.

Systematically, I sweep all the "rooms" of the Prydwen, discovering places I've never seen before through doors previously unnoticed.

Deacon and I return to Sanctuary.

There's nothing of value left in the Prydwen. Not even a coffee cup. It continues to function even with no staff. It's sort of useful as a sniper platform for picking off BOS soldiers who unwisely step outside the Boston Airport buildings. Most of them have learned their lesson.

The next chapter will see me clean out the Airport. Then, I'll go Vertibird hunting.

EDIT: Pleased to say Rhys of the Cambridge Police Station is no more. What a twerp
EDIT2: Cambridge Police Station and Boston Airport are mine. Still get occasional attacks from Vertibirds on suicide missions. I wonder where they come from? The BOS is pretty much history now.

Last edited:
Fallout 4 voice acting is amazing

Even more surprising is the large number of lines I don’t recognize despite the hundreds and hundreds of hours I’ve invested in FO4

Question about reliability of FO4 on a PS4

In my experience, FO4 (no mods) is very unreliable on my (original) Xbox One. Game locks up, and either makes a buzzing noise and crashes back to the "desktop" or I have to "force quit" it.

Happens most days. Because of this, I never play in Survival mode, and I always take frequent saves.

I have a PS4 Pro, with a different set of games, and it has been outstandingly reliable.

PS4 users, have you had good reliability when playing FO4? (Not sure if it’s the game or the platform)

Question about reliability of FO4 on a PS4

In my experience, FO4 (no mods) is very unreliable on my (original) Xbox One. Game locks up, and either makes a buzzing noise and crashes back to the "desktop" or I have to "force quit" it.

Happens most days. Because of this, I never play in Survival mode, and I always take frequent saves.

I have a PS4 Pro, with a different set of games, and it has been outstandingly reliable.

PS4 users, have you had good reliability when playing FO4? (Not sure if it’s the game or the platform)
Having Fallout 4 on both the standard PS4 and XBONE, I can tell you that the PS4 version is far more reliable. Though, it is still fairly glitchy. The downside to the PS4 version is that the mods for it suck.

PS4 version again, has terrible mods, and it's because of Sony being dicks about copyright and such, so really, if you can, I think it might be more viable to go for PC, because no matter what version you play, it's going to be glitchy and patchwork in spots. Frankly, it's not really that up to par compared to other multi-platform games, but it is certainly better then Fallout 3 especially, and New Vegas to an extent. And then you have the full, full assortment of mods to choose from.

Having Fallout 4 on both the standard PS4 and XBONE, I can tell you that the PS4 version is far more reliable. Though, it is still fairly glitchy. The downside to the PS4 version is that the mods for it suck.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I'm aware of the PS4 mods limitations. However, due poor experiences with mods on the Xbox One, I deleted them all!

I think I'm pretty much done with FO4, so my question was (behind the scenes) related to FO76, but I didn't think it was fair to ask about your FO76 experiences! Not yet.

I'm relieved to hear that PS4 experience is better since my Pro will be superior to my old One

PS4 version again, has terrible mods, and it's because of Sony being dicks about copyright and such, so really, if you can, I think it might be more viable to go for PC, because no matter what version you play, it's going to be glitchy and patchwork in spots. Frankly, it's not really that up to par compared to other multi-platform games, but it is certainly better then Fallout 3 especially, and New Vegas to an extent. And then you have the full, full assortment of mods to choose from.

I've been down the PC path before, and I'm back on consoles because of the convenience. And because of Gran Turismo

Thanks again!!

I’ve got it on PS4 Pro and it’s only froze on me on a couple of occasions. I’d played it up to lvl 112ish before experimenting with any mods on that same play-through. The only issues I’ve experienced since are the game sometimes refusing to load past the initial load menu (continue- new game - mods - creation club etc) it just continues playing the music and flicks through the in-garage shots but doesn’t load the save. A quit and restart always solves it.

I have a 4.5 year old PS4 and the worst issue I had was the one @TheCracker described; sometimes when choosing "Continue" on the main menu, the game will just keep playing the theme music and going through the intro without loading. To avoid it, I just always choose "Load Game" and manually choose my save.

I have used at max about 6 or 7 mods at once and have not had any crashes or issues. The frame rate in downtown Boston can be very bad at times but that's about it.

My experience with mods on XBox One hasn't been too bad - although I only use 'Darker Night' and, on my last play through, a van with 65k of each material in :D

The frame rate in downtown Boston can be very bad at times but that's about it.

It's no better on XBox, and I've seen PC people complain about it as well. It's very tough on the equipment.

I still play from time to time mostly to farm legendary items, and I'd say that since easily the last year/year and a half, I've not had a single crash. Sometimes the game freezes for a couple of seconds while it autosaves, usually around Sanctuary (but then that's maybe because it's where I've built everything) but it goes back to normal right after.

The biggest issue I have had is the size of the game now. I don't remember where it currently sits, but the Creation Club content, which I haven't even looked at once, has added at least 8 GB to the file size.

The biggest issue I have had is the size of the game now. I don't remember where it currently sits, but the Creation Club content, which I haven't even looked at once, has added at least 8 GB to the file size.

Look for a cheap drive and case/cable to upgrade the storage, it's a must with modern titles. Especially as you'll be getting Fallout 76 and RDR2! :D

Finally finished this, having put it down several months ago, even when trying to talk to Preston Garvey in the final mission I kept getting the whole "finish off saving a settlement" nonsense.

It's a shame they didn't control that bit a better, the rest of the game is great.

Back