Fallout 4

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 2,543 comments
I picked the GOTY up a couple of weeks ago, incredibly addictive. Up to level 20, barely touched the surface in about 30 hours of play!

I just unlocked Master lockpick, so I went and got the cryolator. Will this work well against Legendary opponents to stop them mutating?

I picked the GOTY up a couple of weeks ago, incredibly addictive. Up to level 20, barely touched the surface in about 30 hours of play!

I stopped playing it only about a month ago after getting it with my PS4 last December. It was pretty much all i ever played. I think in the end i was about level 128 with 26+ days of playing time on a single play-through and had exhausting everything that could be done in it without going PS Trophy hunting.

If you get into settlement building, you can really get your monies worth from it 👍

I am slowly proceeding through this game. It's my third play through. The first two were on the Xbone, this one is on PC.

I'm taking my time, because I have Modern Firearms installed, and enemies at higher levels than me tend to aim for head shots. The Gunner sergents and Captains are especially good at putting an end to the sole survivor with one shot. It doesn't help that they are packing sniper rifles with 400+ points of damage. Wowzers!

Then there's the Raiders. I installed a mod named Raider Overhaul, and it made the Raiders as tough as nails. I can kill them, but they take some effort. At least they have armor that can stand up to Modern Firearms' levels of abuse... Unless a head shot is involved. LOL.

I'm also running Super Mutant Redux. Let's just say, the Super muties are about as tough as Fist... All of them. Yeah. Good times. Oh and there's Nightkin included in the mod. Anyone that's played New Vegas knows what sort of headaches I am having with them.

Yup. This is one interesting play through. :lol:

Last edited:
I am slowly proceeding through this game. It's my third play through. The first two were on the Xbone, this one is on PC.

I'm taking my time, because I have Modern Firearms installed, and enemies at higher levels than me tend to aim for head shots. The Gunner sergents and Captains are especially good at putting an end to the sole survivor with one shot. It doesn't help that they are packing sniper rifles with 400+ points of damage. Wowzers!

Then there's the Raiders. I installed a mod named(ill insert its name here when I get home), and it made the Raiders as tough as nails. I can kill them, but they take some effort. At least they have armor that can stand up to Modern Firearms' levels of abuse... Unless a head shot is involved. LOL.

I'm also running Super Mutant Redux. Let's just say, the Super muties are about as tough as Fist... All of them. Yeah. Good times. Oh and there's Nightkin included in the mod. Anyone that's played New Vegas knows what sort of headaches I am having with them.

Yup. This is one interesting play through. :lol:

So the hilarious damage model isn't just present on Xbox One, haha.

Still, I like Modern Firearms, it does make things a guessing game, even on easy. Human enemies can **** you up real good.

So the hilarious damage model isn't just present on Xbox One, haha.

Still, I like Modern Firearms, it does make things a guessing game, even on easy. Human enemies can **** you up real good.

Well, one of the goals of Modern Firearms was to make weapons behave more like they do in our reality, so a Sniper rifle should be insta-killing anything that receives a head shot from it. And there are mods that dramatically lower the damage rates of the weapons in MF. IIRC the 25% modifier should put the weapons inline with the vanilla weaponry. I used it on the XB1 for a while, before getting annoyed that head shots were only upsetting most enemies. Then returned the weapons to full strength, and never looked back.

Decided to abandon my current save and start a new survival playthrough with a different range of mods. First time starting a new save on X1S. Seemed starting a new save and changing my mods about fixed the issue where ghouls took an inconsistent number of hits to be killed. Plus they don't kill me in 1 hit anymore either.

Alternate Start - Infinite Answer
Always Voice Interrupt
AKM Assault Rifle
Armor & Weapon Keywords Community Resource 4.02 (No DLC)
Armorsmith Extended 3.02
Assault Carbine HD (M4/M16)
Bullet Time
Calamity Weathers
Beretta PX4 Storm
Clean Food for the Commonwealth
Darker Nights (Level 0 - Darkest)
Enhanced Gameplay
Enter The Brotherhood
FCOM Fallout Commander
FOV Boost
Full Dialogue Interface (English)
HUD Framework
Gun Smoke
M82A3 Sniper Rifle
McMillan CS5 Sniper Rifle
MRE's
NCR Veteran Ranger Armor
No Behemoth Magic Seeker Boulder
No More Fake Puddles
No More Pipe Weapons
Plenty O' Exploration
Police Officer Uniforms 3.2
Project Fogout: Darker Nights Edition
Power Line Physics
RadBirds
Radiant Quest Marker (Main Game)
Radio Silence
Realistic Bullets: Velocity & Gravity
Realistic Ragdoll Force
RU556 Assault Rifle
See Through Scopes
SKK Instant Battleground
Snipers of the Commonwealth
Stronger Vertibirds
The Christmas Mod
Tracers & Vapor Trails
Turret Opera
True Storms: Wasteland Edition
Visible Galaxy 4K
Zombie Walkers

Been having plenty of fun on this game again, going back through the earlier quests. Was making some good progress doing the first Railroad & BOS quests...

....Until this happened

Sounds like Fallout 4 alright!

I'm reminded of my first time playing through Honest Hearts on New Vegas, going into one of the general stores for a quest, and stepping out of the loadind screen...and being face to face with a cazador. (If you haven't played NV look it up, these things are fear enducing)

Needless to say, I don't think any horror movie could compare to the scream I let out.

Fallout 4 GOTY Edition is 50% off on the PS Store for Black Friday ($29.99). Plus members can get it on sale right now.

The season pass and all DLC are on sale too for anyone interested.
In case you missed the Black Friday sale, the US PS Store has the DLC and GOY Edition 50% off again from 12/7-12/11.

I've been playing a new character on survival mode again and I still love this game after almost 2 years of playing. I'm still finding new things in the wasteland. :D

Do you guys have any general tips for me? I'm level 12 and I find myself running out of stimpacks and ammo a LOT, even though I invest my rank points in both damage and resistances. But at the same time I'm not finding that much money to buy ammo and health.

Do you guys have any general tips for me? I'm level 12 and I find myself running out of stimpacks and ammo a LOT, even though I invest my rank points in both damage and resistances. But at the same time I'm not finding that much money to buy ammo and health.

Do you have the Scavenger perk? That is certainly recommeneded.

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm guessing hard or very hard if you are using a lot of stimpacks.

2 ranks in Scrounger and you shouldn't be wanting for ammo ever again. Even on Survival difficulty you'll find a lot of ammo in containers. As far as stimpacks, try using cooked food to supplement stimpacks for healing. On Survival difficulty, stimpacks make you thirsty which means you'll need to use a purified water or two to offset every stimpack. Just make sure you are properly fed before eating food because you won't get any of the item's added benefits if you are at any stage of hunger.

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm guessing hard or very hard if you are using a lot of stimpacks.

2 ranks in Scrounger and you shouldn't be wanting for ammo ever again. Even on Survival difficulty you'll find a lot of ammo in containers. As far as stimpacks, try using cooked food to supplement stimpacks for healing. On Survival difficulty, stimpacks make you thirsty which means you'll need to use a purified water or two to offset every stimpack. Just make sure you are properly fed before eating food because you won't get any of the item's added benefits if you are at any stage of hunger.

Actually, I think it's on easy or normal. I just am bumping into a lot of legendary enemies who kill me in 2 hits or so, so I'm constantly in need of healing. I just did the first BoS mission, picked Scavenger and Fortune Finder. Maybe I'm wandering into high level zones or something, I've no idea.

Actually, I think it's on easy or normal. I just am bumping into a lot of legendary enemies who kill me in 2 hits or so, so I'm constantly in need of healing. I just did the first BoS mission, picked Scavenger and Fortune Finder. Maybe I'm wandering into high level zones or something, I've no idea.

Perhaps stick to not wandering too far from wherever you call home until you've levelled up a bit and got hold of some decent weapons and armour. I did a load of low level missions for the Minutemen before I engaged with any of the three main factions.

At low levels I crept around a lot, keeping out of the way of tough enemies until I felt I could deal with them better. Finding a companion to trail you around and distract enemies so you can pick them off whilst your buddy takes the hits is a good idea too early on. Later in the game you'll find they'll just get in the way.

I always go out of my way to search every container or piece of furniture I can just to hoard as many bottle caps and 'stuff' as Possible (and regularly head home to store it when my pockets are full) so it can be sold or stripped of its parts and used to upgrade your gear.

It's a quest where we had to pick up a radio transmitter or something. I let Paladin do all the work, as the Synths hurt like hell.

On the upside I looted about 400 fusion cells for the Lazer pistol, and I got to roast Synths with a rocket booster. Classic Bethesda!

I tried to do the Minutemen quest to retake the fort, but that Mirelurker queen hit like a truck.

That sounds like the quest from Cambridge Police Station. I thought you meant you had already joined the BOS at their HQ. 12 would have been really early for that.

I recommend you explore the top left of the map around Sanctuary and head south only until you hit Sunshine Tidings Co-Op. If you hit the Federal Food Ration place, you are too far south for your level. If you head northeast from Sanctuary, don't go much farther than Tenpines Bluff. Stick to the areas between these places until level 18-20 and you'll be in much better shape to handle the rest of Cambridge. I definitely wouldn't go near the Castle again until at least level 20.

If you are playing with no mods, the enemies will scale to your level when you first enter a new load zone. This will lock the enemy level for the rest of your save so you should try not to rush through too quickly. Higher level enemies will drop better loot/guns/armor/multiple ammo types and you'll encounter more legendaries. Plus, if you plan to play past level 50 and the main story, the enemies will be extremely easy in the late game if they were locked at a low level.

I've been playing this less and less of late, been getting so many crashes it's kind of sucked the fun out of it. I had to clear something on my Xbox to actually get the game to load (a save had corrupted), I wonder if I need to do the same thing.

I've been playing more and more recently because I used a PS Store gift card that I got for Christmas to get the season pass for $25. I went back to my original play through character that I hadn't touched since finishing the main story (June '16?). I'm doing Fah Habah on very hard first but I'm not sure if I will do Nuka World with the same save. I'm leaning towards it, mostly to try and get all the trophies, but if it is too easy I may try a new save where I go to Nuka World at level 1 on Survival difficutly. Inspired by Many a True Nerd's run through there:

When I reloaded my (thankfully functioning) save, I realized I had forgotten about how many awesome legendary weapons I had found. I had a two-shot .308 sniper rifle (which reminds me, I need to convert that to .50 cal if I can). I had an Instigating Gauss rifle, an explosive combat shotgun and I had 4 ranks of rifleman which made all of these guns deal ridiculous damage. I also had more ammo than I knew what to do with. The very first new legendary weapon that I found while heading toward the start of Far Harbor was an Explosive Western Revolver. It's a great pistol but my perks are rifle, demo expert and commando based. I mostly used the two-shot rifle to snipe, spray and pray at medium range and the explosive shotgun in close (but not too close).

That sounds like the quest from Cambridge Police Station. I thought you meant you had already joined the BOS at their HQ. 12 would have been really early for that.

I recommend you explore the top left of the map around Sanctuary and head south only until you hit Sunshine Tidings Co-Op. If you hit the Federal Food Ration place, you are too far south for your level. If you head northeast from Sanctuary, don't go much farther than Tenpines Bluff. Stick to the areas between these places until level 18-20 and you'll be in much better shape to handle the rest of Cambridge. I definitely wouldn't go near the Castle again until at least level 20.

If you are playing with no mods, the enemies will scale to your level when you first enter a new load zone. This will lock the enemy level for the rest of your save so you should try not to rush through too quickly. Higher level enemies will drop better loot/guns/armor/multiple ammo types and you'll encounter more legendaries. Plus, if you plan to play past level 50 and the main story, the enemies will be extremely easy in the late game if they were locked at a low level.

Thanks, I'll go with this! 👍

Fallout 4: What to do in those impossible situations... (NSFW)

For some idiotic reason, I had assumed that the effects of Stimpacks and other chems which release over time would not be effective beyond the time of raising health to 100%. Therefore, I only use a small quantity of Stimpacks and only one of each type of other chem.

Jumping into molten metal at the end while stark naked was sheer genius. This could be used to change the outcome of Terminator 2

I haven't played this in about 4 months. I got bored with all the "go to this settlement", "settlement x is under attack", really, there should have been an option for turning it off.

I haven't played this in about 4 months. I got bored with all the "go to this settlement", "settlement x is under attack", really, there should have been an option for turning it off.

Once you get further into the game, and you can build up good defences at your settlements, they can look after themselves. To be honest, unless you decide to follow the Minutemen story line to the very end - which i doubt anyone does - or even if you can, it doesn't matter in the slightest if your settlers get pissed off with you not helping them. It doesn't seem to effect things in any way. As long as you occasionally visit and build them the stuff that keeps them happy, they'll always welcome you with open arms. I guess the trick is to build up the minimal amount of settlements you can get away with and still complete the Minutemen missions if settlement building doesn't float your boat.

You murder everyone in the settlements or my favorite, get a mod for no essential characters and pump a bunch of lead into Preston Garvey.

Or, like in my main game, you destroy the Institute and somehow there's a glitch that happens and Preston only repeats that he's not happy with you killing everyone and never gives you another quest.

Latest Posts

Back