Fallout 76

Call me naive, however I’m reserving judgement on FO 76 until I’ve had, say, 10 to 20 hours of gameplay. If I haven’t figured out a style which I enjoy by then, that’ll be the time to wring my hands in public. Maybe. Or maybe not.

Truth be told, the main thing keeping me away at this point is that the game will only be available through Bethesda's launcher and not Steam. It's bad enough that I have to keep dumpster fires like Origin and Uplay on my computer just for a select couple games, I'm not interested in adding yet another one, thanks.

Anyone playing the beta on XB1/X? Any experiences to share?

I have a confession to make: I took a bottlecap to the knee and pre-ordered the game (I know, I know :lol:). Will let you know my experience(s) once the beta starts on PC (the 30th).

Saw some footage of the beta and a video of Yong Yea on the game. Not impressed.

Everything looks even more dated than when Fallout 4 came out. The world is completely empty of NPCs and the random people you find kinda breakers the immersion for those who like single player Fallout story driven gameplay.

I have a feeling this game will flop...

PC and PS4 beta preload is now available. 👍

db05a55c-d50d-4374-a49b-ccf5d1896067.jpg

Last edited:
I've been watching a few vids and the map looks really good, which is a shame because literally nothing else I've seen so far is of any interest to me. Never been a fan of pvp, and the crafting got boring quickly in FO4.

Oh well.

Plenty of streams out right now. Just skip the Bethesda one, these people are awful.

Got to play the B.E.T.A. for the first time last night and loved it, spent a while making my character and having a good look round vault 76 before leaving to give the other players time to leave so I could experience it as a solo which I intend to spend the majority of my time playing as. There's no doubt it's a proper fallout game despite all the folks on certain forums crying and stamping their feet about the multiplayer aspect, came across other players rarely and had plenty of time for the thing I love most about Fallout, the exploration, discovery and uncovering little stories and oddities. four hours just disappeared in no time, I can't wait for the next session.

Times were a bit awkward for me (started around midnight), so only played half an hour or so. Definitely going for an exploration frenzy on Thursday!

Bethesda has kindly given me three B.E.T.A. codes to share (PC). First one to reply to this message gets one. It gives access to tomorrows and Sundays B.E.T.A. tests.

EDIT: Codes are all gone!

Last edited:
It's tempting to think that all the players are just 'prototype synths' introduced to the outer world for the first time:

Vault 76 is confirmed to be the first opened Vault so, obviously it's the best opportunity for secret testing how the 'Synth AI' adapt to independent life outside the Vault; So these unoptimized synths are there to gather basic data for the later batch of synths, but due to conflict X, some of the synths went missing including the vault overseer; (hence the very basic survival/collecting element and the lack of human NPC's -> some of the synths managed to escape -> gen 1 synths wandering in Fallout 4 Boston -> Institutes strict priority towards the lost synths / Kellogg being the overseer of the 76? <- Lol! (Valentine unlikely as it's later gen. 2. model)).

In fact, Vault 76 was opened only 8 years before the first logo of the Instititutes, so the connection between these two is obvious... I quess, that some of the hunted Synths in Fallout 4 could've been your character from the Vault 76.

Heck, even the overseer had launch codes to nuke the area; to eliminate the prototypes? Or in case if things doesn't go as planned... But, the overseer is gone missing; the same person who continued the synth hunt, possibly one of the starting members of the Institute...? (...or Railroads? The overseer saw too much human in these 'human cotrolled multiplayer synths' and simply couldn't eliminate them by launching the nukes)

Well, i haven't even played the game yet, so this could be proven wrong within one hour of gameplay or it already is, but... I do like the idea that all the awkward gestures, movements, trolls and oddities you'll ever encounter online are caused by defective prototype synths!

Last edited:
After having played through the B.E.T.A. sessions for several hours, I can say that this is going to be a great game. It's rough around the edges, but the experience is very solid. Co-op definitely adds to the FO experience. Have yet to try the PVP part, but hoping they make that into dedicated areas or servers. PVP/PVE doesn't mix.

I've always wanted a multiplayer Fallout game but it looks like Bathesda half assed pretty much everything except for their microtransactions to get this game out as soon as possible. I'm very glad I didn't preoder this, it looks like a flop.

Last edited:
I only missed one B.E.T.A. session on the PS4 (gotta have my Saturday night out) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I played it pretty much like fallout 4, with lots of exploration as well as doing some of the main and side missions. Encountered very little 'griefing' and that I just put down as raiders being raiders. Did accidentally get into a bit of PVP a couple of times when I was a bit eager to attack what I thought was a scorched bearing down on me :dopey: and went after a wanted player only to have his friends rush in to defend him.
It is very much a Fallout game and once people get used to the fact that it's not just your world and stop crying and stamping their feet 'cos it's not exactly how they want it, they'll start to enjoy it. It would be nice if they'd up the 400 storage limit but it's the same for everyone and we'll just have to change our pack rat habits of stashing weapons and armour 'just in case' .... I'm pretty sure I really don't really need to have three power armour frames in my stash (must stop grabbing them just 'cos they're there :lol:)
I can't wait until release to get back to it :cheers:

It is very much a Fallout game and once people get used to the fact that it's not just your world and stop crying and stamping their feet 'cos it's not exactly how they want it, they'll start to enjoy it.

Saying **** like this just makes you sound like a shilll. It's a busted-ass game on an old and outdated engine. Let's not pretend like it isn't.

To anybody thinking of buying this, I'd wait awhile.

Last edited:
Saying **** like this just makes you sound like a shilll. It's a busted-ass game on an old and outdated engine. Let's not pretend like it isn't.

To anybody thinking of buying this, I'd wait awhile.

Why would I be a shill ? I have no vested interest in any game, but I will defend a game I'm enjoying when people who haven't even played it start badmouthing it for some strange reason.

Have you been on the Bethesda forums and seen the overgrown children spitting their dummies out over the slightest thing they think shouldn't be in 'their' game ? It's nice, in a way, that they're getting so passionate about it but too many of them seem to think the game should be made exactly how THEY want it and if it's not they'll just keep screaming about how 'bad' it is until they get PVP taken out, or made into a battle royal, or storage made unlimited, or whatever doesn't suit them.

Personally I'm having fun playing it and laughing at the temper tantrums being thrown over it. Quite honestly if you don't think you'll like it then don't buy it ;)

Have yet to try the PVP part, but hoping they make that into dedicated areas or servers. PVP/PVE doesn't mix.
From what I've read, PVP only happens if you shoot back at someone within a short window after they shoot you. Otherwise they just do chip damage and life goes on.

I think this is just as much to mitigate friendly fire accidents as well, since I'd reckon there will be many times when a group is surrounding a big nasty and bullets will be going every which way.

From what I've read, PVP only happens if you shoot back at someone within a short window after they shoot you. Otherwise they just do chip damage and life goes on.

I think this is just as much to mitigate friendly fire accidents as well, since I'd reckon there will be many times when a group is surrounding a big nasty and bullets will be going every which way.
There’s Pacifist Mode for the latter. This will stop you from doing damage to players.

There’s still plenty of opportunity for griefing. Especially with a group, the slap damage to a single player adds up very quickly. Respawn mechanism adds to this also.

History (other games) have shown several times that you should not mix pvp and pve this way. It’s a poor experience for both the pvp players and the pve players. I saw almost no actual pvp going on and from what I’ve read it’s the same for most people. The workshops are PVP areas but the experience there is still poor. Needs work still.

Haven’t encountered griefing myself but it’s not hard to imagine what will happen if people at L50+ finish the story content and get bored.

I’d welcome real, separate PVP to be honest, so many cool things you could do on this map.

Isn't there any possibility that they are just hiding something big until the release day, due to avoiding spoilers? Someone already found like 5 upcoming DLC files; so couldn't one of them be huge day one update? Or are they playing with open cards and the beta was full game afterall?
...I do hope that some of the holotapes or terminals are just placeholders for upcoming NPC's with basic dialogue options (Q/A), as i need to ask questions instead of listening full length holotapes one go.

I don't know how bad nitpicking or hating there is about the game overal, but many issues i've seen are direct ports from FO4 or are very clear to observe. Even the game files are said to be identical to Fallout 4 or literally named as Fallout 4, so the game could've been just a DLC for Fallout 4... So, instead of paying the full price, why shouldn't i just start Fallout 4 with few mods and continue the same gameplay loop there, as a lonely two legged garbage truck?

PvP needs an overhaul, but i don't believe that splitting the player base to multiple different servers is good idea: PvP, TDM, no kill, private and what not... If they do so, then the PvP servers should double the 24 player limit, unless they make it "battle royale" as the map is too large: FO4's x4! (No idea what the game is trying to be)

P.S.S. Sorry i tried not to make it sound like 100% rant, as i don't even have the game yet.
I'll just wait 6-12 months until purchasing, if the player base remain active.

Last edited:
I'll just wait 6-12 months until purchasing, if the player base remain active.
Waiting is not a bad tactic. Bethesda stated that the beta would be buggy and that this is just the start of the game. For me there's enough in here to keep me occupied for several months, so for me it's worth the money. Your mileage may vary, so if you didn't get to try the beta just yet, maybe better wait until there's some proper reviews out and/or a few patches/updates in.

And no, I don't think we've seen everything from the game just yet. Also, I don't think a lot of the game has been made yet, especially endgame. :lol: Give it a year. That's how long The Division took to get to a state that appealed to more than just the hardcore crowd.

Give it a year. That's how long The Division took to get to a state that appealed to more than just the hardcore crowd.
Yea i quess that's how it is nowadays, although i find it annoying how much they rely on preorders... Just to add that even No Man's Sky and GT Sport are looking totally different games now (content vise), except the NMS needed 2 years or so...

Can't see why the Fallout 76 couldn't improve, but just hoping that there's still activity when i hop in.

Metacritic PC reviews so far is 2.3
68 positive
11 mixed
272 negative

https://secure.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-76/user-reviews

ouch.

Reading through the 'reviews' it seems to be mostly from people who either haven't even played the (beta) game but don't like the concept of Fallout online, or are basing their opinions on a clearly very much unfinished beta version. I'll worry when people get their hands on the finished product and still hate it.

Metacritic PC reviews so far is 2.3
68 positive
11 mixed
272 negative

https://secure.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-76/user-reviews

ouch.

I've found user reviews on Metacritic utterly useless for many years. With the most controversial titles - such as Fallout 76, but there have obviously been many others in the past, big or small - you get the impression that half the "reviewers" or more haven't even played the game, and in any case giving a game that isn't absolutely among the most abysmal ever made, in all or most areas from gameplay to technical, a 0 or 1 score is just silly (just as I've also seen many silly 10s for some games at the other end of the spectrum, sometimes with the same games getting plenty of 0s too) and obviously only done to tank the average score. No room whatsoever for nuance with many user "reviewers".

Personally I bought Fallout 76 without having tried the beta, simply based on how much I enjoyed 3 and 4, and previously gotten some modest enjoyment from my short stints with the survival game genre (primarily Ark and Conan Exiles).
Way too early for me to give a full informed opinion, but my first six or seven hours or so have been pretty much nothing but very enjoyable playing solo. It feels almost exactly like playing Fallout 4, in a more vibrant landscape, with some added survival mechanics (I think FO4 got a mode for that too?) and a mountain of lore - and constant quests - through well voiced holotapes, computers and notes. I might start missing human NPCs at some point, but for now it hasn't bothered me and the "empty" world has a charm of its own.

I like the combat, just like I liked it in FO4, despite it being somewhat wonky (like the entire game engine that must be hanging together by duct tape and string by now) and imprecise. Quite a rush actually after playing and loving RDR2 for several dozen hours the last few weeks (still far from finished), which for all it being one of the very finest games ever in my opinion, has quite uninspired and bland combat that has not evolved at all from RDR (which back then also had bland, snap auto aim - barely possible to aim without it, combat compared to most games).

Lots of fun so far- pretty much what I wanted. There are some a-hats running around, but the map is big enough you can avoid them. Two things are proving hard to find- beverages and ALUMINUM!. I'm at L10, but enjoying the game.

I rebuilt my C.A.M.P. above water so it was possible to install a water purification gizmo.

When I was satisfied with that, I intended to quit the game until I realized that a passing Level 2 stranger was sleeping in my bed.

I didn’t feel good about the possibility of removing bed and C.A.M.P. from underneath him, and dumping his sorry ass into the pond below, so I waited until he woke up and departed refreshed. Made me feel kind of good.

Back