Fanatec 911 turbo s wheel early test reveiw

• Thread starter bevo
  • 122 comments
Ferrari Challenge does not support the clutch unfortunately. The game does support the G25 and is pictured within the game and the H shifter works. No clutch for the SCC beta. Not sure about the full SCC but I doubt they've added clutch functionality.

You can change FFB and pedal sensitivity to low, med,high in FC. The G25 has a dead zone problem but it works well in general. Although I barely played it outside doing some races in the rain (rain effects are pretty good). Deadzone, low draw distance, 30 fps, limited options, low frame rate replays put me off but the driving model with more emphasis on weight shifting is quite good.
When I put it in to test with the turbo s wheel I had forgotten how bad the graphics were. Playing GT5p, shift and forza really does make the game look bad. Like you said though the driving isn't to bad. The wheel really does work very well with it. I used the games default wheel settings and it worked just fine. I didn't notice any deadzone at all from what little bit I played of it last night.

I also just tried out grid and it to looks awful after playing the new games, but the wheel did work well, and that is another game that supports the 6 speed shifter.
The more I'm using the turbo s wheel the more I like it. Shift had really started to aggravate me with the wheel, but now I have gotten use to it more and it works just fine with shift. Shift just has it's own problems and the strength of the turbo s wheel FF really brings out it's flaws more then the G25 did.

Yeah Ive had no major problems with GT3RS wheel on all those games so didnt think Turbo S would be any different.

Just to confrim then guys, so far (console) clutch supported games are:

Shift
GT5P
FM3

Ive not tested these all yet myself for clutch so asking you guys that have done the videos on what game has the best clutch implementation.
I guess FM3 is best even though they all may have some form of anti-stall, (sorry paddle shifter myself)

Will do my own testing as well on the Shift and GT5P concerns with the additional shaking of the wheel. Probs to do with this being a belt driven wheel? I actually liked the shaking in GT5P as I think it only happens closer to top speed and thats kinda a nice element of required skill, isnt it?
Stronger than the G25 can do and thats pretty strong anyways. Agree though on the F1 car its more of an issue.

Most games I find work for me best in 360 or 540 mode, whats your faves though guys?
Also regards Shift Id like if you dont mind to spend some time getting the best settings for SHIFT and this wheel.
Ive found settings that arent too bad but will post these Tomorrow, then you guys can tweak with your own perhaps?

BTW nice reports and good job on the videos lads...

Oh and the CSP vibrate feature is only on the new menu or retail Turbo S I believe.
Ask Thomas to confirm that, but wasnt working on my CSP on a little testing I done.

Last edited:
The new ABS vibration feature will be only on the 911 Tobo S if you use it with consoles but we will add this feature into the driver for all wheels

"The new ABS vibration feature will be only on the 911 Tobo S"
Turbo S is their only wheel for full console support, but ABS vibration will work if you have wheel working and of course have bought the expensive pedals.

"The new ABS vibration feature will be only on the 911 Tobo S"
Turbo S is their only wheel for full console support, but ABS vibration will work if you have wheel working and of course have bought the expensive pedals.

Do you realize who you are quoting there?

Anyway...

ABS on consoles will only be supported with the Turbo S.

Heh, I just realized the big misspell in Fanatec's post.

Last edited:
Will do my own testing as well on the Shift and GT5P concerns with the additional shaking of the wheel. Probs to do with this being a belt driven wheel? I actually liked the shaking in GT5P as I think it only happens closer to top speed and thats kinda a nice element of required skill, isnt it?
Stronger than the G25 can do and thats pretty strong anyways. Agree though on the F1 car its more of an issue.

Most games I find work for me best in 360 or 540 mode, whats your faves though guys?
Also regards Shift Id like if you dont mind to spend some time getting the best settings for SHIFT and this wheel.
Ive found settings that arent too bad but will post these Tomorrow, then you guys can tweak with your own perhaps?
I have started to get the pulling down in shift. I think it's just that , that game is kind of over the top with everything, and so the stronger fanatec wheel brings out more of the games FF faults. I can't wait to try out your settings for it.

I too have liked 540 for most games. GT5p and forza are the only games that I like the 900 with.
I actually use 270 with the Nascar game. I know you europeans aren't much for the nascar, but that game really shows how precise the wheel is. I've never been able to play a nascar game with the AI on hard and keep from hitting cars whenever it gets 3 wide in the turns, With the turbo s wheel, I have been running 30 lap races at daytona and doing very well. You can have cars on both sides of you for a lap or two and hold your line perfect, without touching anyone. I have found that I have actually been playing Nascar more then anything else with it, just because it amazes me that I can now have that much control over the cars. If there's a demo for nascar 09 on x box live or the ps3 you should try it out just to see what I mean about how well the wheel works with it, and how precise the tiniest movements can be.

I actually use 270 with the Nascar game. I know you europeans aren't much for the nascar, but that game really shows how precise the wheel is.

Funnily enough bevo, if you look at my other videos on Youtube, you'll see I am much for the NASCAR, I've got a couple of videos of me driving a NASCAR not far from where you live @ Kentucky Speedway. Although I don't own any NASCAR games that's mainly because I don't know anyone I could play them with online.

I'm surprised and interested that 270 is the turning circle of choice for NASCAR, I'd have though that 900 would give you more progressive and smooth steering.

Last edited:
I'm surprised and interested that 270 is the turning circle of choice for NASCAT, I'd have though that 900 would give you more progressive and smooth steering.

It's just that your so close to so many cars that it seems easier to use the 270 because of the small adjustments you can make quickly. With 900 it's really hard to hold a really straight line and keep out of the other cars. It seems like the less you have to turn the wheel, the less romm there is for error. If you like nascar though, you should rent or buy nascar 09. The career mode is stupid, but the seasons you can make up are pretty fun. The AI isn't bad either because all they have to do is hold their line and turn left. It's actually not a very good multiplayer game because of the precision it takes to keep from wrecking each other, but the single player seasons are a blast, especially with the new wheel.

Have you tested the Clutch on Forza 2? If so is it analog or button clutch, or dont work at all.

Also thanks for your other responses and input, pics, vids, etc.

I tried Forza 2 briefly today for about 5 minutes before I had to get my kids from school, so I only managed about half a lap of Mugello Short.

To be honest the experience was mediocre, and the least good of all the games I've tested (Don't forget FM2 is 2 1/2 years old) Clutch was non existant, I don't think the "H" Pattern even works.

Did you try pushing Y,B,A,A, left, up , left at the beginning of the race to enable the clutch?

💡​

Dammit! I shoulda thought of that, I pressed left, up, A,A,B,Y at the end of the race instead and wondered why nothing happened:crazy:

LOL

hey guys

apparently all the need for speed games (start at need for speed carbon) work with the h-shift and maybe even the clutch.

Might want to try them out and have a little fun.

And forza 2 doesn't have a clutch option. I'm still playing forza 2 though (right now actually), I just can't wait for f3 to come out. Will be so much fun (then it's just waiting on the wheel and getting used to it (which is a whole other story))

Will be so much fun (then it's just waiting on the wheel and getting used to it (which is a whole other story))

The wheel works so well with forza 3, it takes about 5 laps to get use to it.

Nice again jonboy

Try a bit of washing liquid on the end caps even perhaps inside the rod.
Might help it come out easier.

Oh how I remember that creaking sound of a Playseat :)

That's great news bevo, I remember on forza 2 when the wheel came out (the xbox wheel) you had to adjust the settings to get a decent lap time (adjusting the dead zone and the brake force, etc)

I'm guessing this is not needed now with this wheel? (awesome!)

Oh and bevo, did you get around to mounting those pedals yet? if so what did you end up doing to mount them, and did you have any problems?

Also, I mentioned above that those NFS games supported the h-shift, they also support the clutch (though not 100% realistically, it does know when you use the clutch)

oh and jonboy, new video? awesome! keep em coming! haha

Oh and bevo, did you get around to mounting those pedals yet? if so what did you end up doing to mount them, and did you have any problems?

I haven't gotten around to mounting the pedals yet, and I'm starting to think I'm not going to. I think I'm just going to wait on the clubsport pedals to come and use my G25's for now. I really don't want to drill anymore holes then I have to in the playseats pedal plate, and I'm pretty sure that the normal fanatec pedals will need a different drilling template then the clubsport. The normal pedals do come with a mounting plate though, so I think they would mount to just about anything.

Another shifter question(s).
Is the shifter cable a normal PS2 port cable? (*Edit* what is this cable really called? Cause I cant seem to find one) If I want to move the shifter, I'll need a longer cable, i can probably find one pretty cheap somewhere, but dont want to buy it if it doesnt work. Has any of you testers tried this yet? If it doesnt work, whats the alternative for a longer cable, and what type of cable is it?

One more, sorry....
Is that shifter, shifting click really that loud? Is it annoying to you when you play? Or does it kinda of help you in a way that you know you are hitting the gears? Have you gotten used to the noise yet? And how does it relate to the G25/27 Shifter clicking?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
This is the shifter cable:

Fanatecshiftercable003.jpg

Fanatecshiftercable002.jpg

Fanatecshiftercable001.jpg

Thanks for the great pics, and vids jonboy.

Looks like a normal 6 pin PS/2 cable. Have you tried another cable to test? \
Also your shifter in on the wrong side.:P

Love all the reviews and pictures, hopefully I'll have my own wheel in a few weeks :D

Hey bevo (or anyone else) just wondering, does need for speed shift support the clutch and h-pattern on the 360 at all? I know it does on the ps3, just wondering, thanks! (same for dirt 2, does the h pattern work, or even will using the sequential shifter if not? i have dirt 2 on the 360, but I may buy it on the ps3 just for this if it wont work on the 360) on my xbox I still only have the wireless xbox wheel.

I think I may go jonboy's route and just use velcro and a mount though opposed to drilling holes (if it can be avoided), I want to just open the box, set it up, turn on forza 3 and get busy!

The H pattern and clutch both work on shift for the 360, but if you don't push the clutch in it doesn't give any kind of penalty. But it does release the transmission when you push it in. I think the h pattern works on both dirt's but it's to hard to use. You can use the paddle shifters though and switch the sequential shifter to be your e brake. That's the way I play it and it's a blast using the shifter as an ebrake.

The H pattern and clutch both work on shift for the 360, but if you don't push the clutch in it doesn't give any kind of penalty. But it does release the transmission when you push it in.

That sounds like a much more realistic use of the Clutch in a racing car than Forza3 or GT5P I'll try it out today

I think the h pattern works on both dirt's but it's to hard to use. You can use the paddle shifters though and switch the sequential shifter to be your e brake. That's the way I play it and it's a blast using the shifter as an ebrake.

That sounds like a lot of fun, definately gonna try that.👍

Back