Fanatec 911 turbo s wheel early test reveiw

• Thread starter bevo
  • 122 comments
The H pattern and clutch both work on shift for the 360, but if you don't push the clutch in it doesn't give any kind of penalty. But it does release the transmission when you push it in. I think the h pattern works on both dirt's but it's to hard to use. You can use the paddle shifters though and switch the sequential shifter to be your e brake. That's the way I play it and it's a blast using the shifter as an ebrake.

nice, and the trick about dirt sounds way to cool to NOT do!

might even work really good in other games too, awesome, i wish there was an ebrake type thing, having to push a button is just odd at times, and difficult if you're already in a spin and you have to find that button.

That dirt setup just sounds awesome. Will try, thanks!

Using the sequential shifter is by far the most realistic and ti is very fun, but the easiest way to use the e brake is to make the clutch your e brake. The only problem with it is that you have to make the car automatic. The sequential shifter uses the same buttons ads the paddle shifters. What I've been doing is using the clutch as my e brake. I know it's not realistic, but I like to keep the cars manual more then use the shifter for an e brake.

Why don´t you just map a button as e-brake? I mean that is the most realistic ebrake possible anyway isn´t it :)

E stands for emergency not electronic, and I have yet to see a car that had one as a button. :P

Last edited:
Great Review guys
I have the RS wheel , ClubSport Pedals, and Shifters..
Now I hear the Porsche 911 Turbo S works with PS3 through USB as well? True?

Since I am getting FM3 for Xbox 360, and GT5 for PS3, I need to buy the wheel itself now around Christmas : ) .

( I hate date change on RS wheel and GT5Prologue) but hey at least it works!!!

That's correct sir. USB is used for the PS3. One thing cool about this wheel is the new features Tomas announced it a week ago, Drift Mode and Brake Pressure. Pretty cool and honestly for the price, this wheel has more features then any other wheel on the market right now even its big brother, the RS. Fanatec just needs to open a facility down here in US and we are golden. Ordering their products just takes forever.

Drift mode would be great if it works in Kaido Racer for Playstation 2.
I have lots of racing games for PS2, has anyone tried the wheel with that console?
(I know it's old but I still play some games in it, Kaido Racer being one of them)

Awesome, great news jonboy, I was going to ask if anyone knew if the wheel worked on ps2 games (like Gran Turismo 4 and others, and how it worked, and with what (I'm guessing h-shifter and clutch will not work on any game).

Also, does anyone know when the official ship date is for us in the states? I never got an order confirmation email. (but my account shows that I ordered so I'm not worried)

The description states Next shipping date: November 2009

I'm hoping I can replay through seasons on forza 3 (like on forza 2) so I can get better times. I want to redo the whole game with the 911 wheel (I will be unable to restrain myself from playing the game from day 1 to wait on the wheel).

If you already have one of there wheels, I'm guessing you only need to buy the pure edition and you're set (better place your order before they run out).

Not sure if it matters but my order number is in the 3k range (almost at 4k) not sure if this means anything or not, but it would suggest they have some more to sale if you are even remotely interested in the wheel you better order it now before it sales out.

Hopefully they send out the clubsport pedals to the beta testers so we can get some early reviews

(hopefully jonboy will post up a video on how he decides to mount them, I love his free use of velcro, just so awesome)

and bevo will take some indepth pix and show how he mounts them with screws (so nice you both have completely different approaches)

do they? first they stated that only with pure edition.

Maybe im wrong but wasnt it just the X360 cable that would be with PURE only.

We need Thomas to confirm this as i dont want to be mis informing anyone.
The beta wheels all came with the G25 cable too.

Maybe im wrong but wasnt it just the X360 cable that would be with PURE only.

We need Thomas to confirm this as i dont want to be mis informing anyone.
The beta wheels all came with the G25 cable too.

Thomas has already confirmed this somewhere on these boards.

It is only the Pure edition that comes with the adapters, being that it is the only version to come without pedals of its own.

Hi, I've got a question about the Playseat G25 shifter adapter and the Wheelstand shifter adapter. Do you really have to drill new holes to attach them to each other or is it also somehow possible to use the existing holes?

Hi, I've got a question about the Playseat G25 shifter adapter and the Wheelstand shifter adapter. Do you really have to drill new holes to attach them to each other or is it also somehow possible to use the existing holes?

I had to drill new holes to use them together. You might be able to figure out a way not to drill holes, but I couldn't. I have pictures at the beginning of this thread that shows how I put them together. The wheelstand's adapter's holes are not near as wide as the G25's. You could possibly use zip ties to secure to the G25's adapter but it would be as secure. The holes aren't really a big deal to drill, unless you don't know anyone with a cordless drill and bits. I guess if that was the case you could use JB weld or something to permanently attach it to the G25 adapter.

Very well made video reviews, even quite entertaining!

Never mind the little mistake with the clutch in GT5P, I've seen and read far worse mistakes in the media.

can someone please answer if GT5P has a full analog clutch modulation like forza 3 does? i mean, can someone provide an exact answer? preferably someone that has played forza 3 demo that can compare exactly how each game handles the clutch model. i have the turbo s wheel comming in and thinking of switching over to PS3 for gt5p because forza 3 removed dedicated custom server listings in favor of halo-matchmaking and do not want to play with a bunch of kids online.

realistic clutch modulation is very important to me with h-pattern shifters and is the only reason i got back into sim racing and ordered the fanatec wheel. forza 3 has this but is making the game inaccessible to me since i only play online.

Hi to everyone,
i just ordered the Playseat Evolution and im thinking of gettind the Turbo S Clubsport wheel.i have the MS wheel but its not good at all. i dont know if the clubsport pedals going to work with the playseat evolution.has anyone mount them in the playseat?

can someone please answer if GT5P has a full analog clutch modulation like forza 3 does? i mean, can someone provide an exact answer? preferably someone that has played forza 3 demo that can compare exactly how each game handles the clutch model. i have the turbo s wheel comming in and thinking of switching over to PS3 for gt5p because forza 3 removed dedicated custom server listings in favor of halo-matchmaking and do not want to play with a bunch of kids online.

realistic clutch modulation is very important to me with h-pattern shifters and is the only reason i got back into sim racing and ordered the fanatec wheel. forza 3 has this but is making the game inaccessible to me since i only play online.

I've been using the turbi s wheel on the forza 3 demo for awhile. It does have an analog clutch, but you don't really notice it while playing. You shift so fast that you just push in the clutch and shift anyway. It's much more like a button then anything else, despite being an analog clutch.

Hey,

Great article, but I think that since you have the new Porsch wheel it may be time to let the poor old G25 go. That is where I come in, I will very happily take that old G25 off your hands so it will no longer take up space in your home. I only do this because I care.......LOL! Actually I, am trying to talk my wife into letting me get the new G27, but so far it has fallen on deaf ears. Happy Holidays!

Hey,

Great article, but I think that since you have the new Porsch wheel it may be time to let the poor old G25 go. That is where I come in, I will very happily take that old G25 off your hands so it will no longer take up space in your home. I only do this because I care.......LOL! Actually I, am trying to talk my wife into letting me get the new G27, but so far it has fallen on deaf ears. Happy Holidays!

LOL Unfortunately I don't have a G25 but I have been promised a loan of one for reviewing purposes.

From what I've seen and read the G27 isn't any improvement on the G25, yet the Fanatec PWTS is as good -if not better- than both of 'em and the same price as a G27, so I'm looking forward to my G25 test to see if all that is true.

Same price as G27? Well, maybe that's true in your part of the world. Over here, G27 is way cheaper and it's readily available in game shop. Also, Fanatec won't ship their wheel outside US/EU.

True, but I can only speak for my part of the world, 'cos that's where I live ;)

A quick google of G27 and the first price I came across was £319 The Fanatec PWTS in "S" form when converted from Euros to £'s is currently £315.

Factor in that if -like me- you want to race on the PS3 and 360 but you don't want to buy the Fanatec then to get a G27 and a M$ wheel works out a lot more expensive even if you can get a G27 cheaper elsewhere, you've got the inconsistancy of needing to switch wheels whever you switch games and get used to a whole different driving position, for me and many people in my situation it's a no brainer to go for the Fanatec, hard mount it and have a consistant driving experience no matter what platform you're playing on.

Adding to that from the review I saw of the G27 on SRT it seemed that the G27 was no real move forward from the G25 and was very noisy to use.

LOL Unfortunately I don't have a G25 but I have been promised a loan of one for reviewing purposes.

From what I've seen and read the G27 isn't any improvement on the G25, yet the Fanatec PWTS is as good -if not better- than both of 'em and the same price as a G27, so I'm looking forward to my G25 test to see if all that is true.

I thought the turbo s was better then the G25 too, but lately I'm starting to wonder. Shift is pretty much unplayable for me with the turbo s unless I turn the FF almost completely off. When I go down straights the wheel pulls so hard that I can't keep the car straight. Same thing happens with GT5p.
The only game I've really enjoyed with it so far is forza 3.

With the G25 every game I played worked great on the ps3. I really don't know why the turbo s wheel acts the way it does with those 2 games, but it's really driving me crazy not being able to play shift. I wish I had kept my G25 now to use with the ps3 games.

I do like the feel and smoothness much better on the turbo s, but not being able to even play GT5p and shift is starting to kill it for me. Hopefully GT5 doesn't have this problem.

Shift is pretty much unplayable for me regardless LOL

I can't stand that game.

Try using the PWTS with Ferrari Challenge especially the F430 Around Spa or Vallelunga, the force feedback is absolutely Phenominal!

Shift is pretty much unplayable for me regardless LOL

I can't stand that game.

Try using the PWTS with Ferrari Challenge especially the F430 Around Spa or Vallelunga, the force feedback is absolutely Phenominal!

I played ferrari challenge a few times, and yes it worked very well. Shift though was very good with the G25 and so was GT5p, but shift is useless with the fanatec wheel, and GT5p is very weird with it. The jerking down the straights just drives me nuts.

I played ferrari challenge a few times, and yes it worked very well. Shift though was very good with the G25 and so was GT5p, but shift is useless with the fanatec wheel, and GT5p is very weird with it. The jerking down the straights just drives me nuts.

Have you tried out using drift mode at all?

I have never used it, but it has various levels. If the problem is the resistance being to strong, then that may be a workable solution.

Back