Fanatec Announcements: CSW V2 Reviews Out

• Thread starter Crispy
  • 13,388 comments
Specifically I can't tell you, but in general firmware updates will include bug fixes, compatibility updates, and the in the case of wheels specifically seem to have a lot to do with power management and thermal protection as well as wheel strength.
There's a lot of instances I loose FFB all of a sudden and i have to reboot the wheel so it calibrates itself, better check it out then seeing a firmware update might fix this.

Cheers! :cheers:

I purchased the CSR-E Wheel back in Jan 2012. Used it about 8hrs and became busy with life. Pulled it out a few weeks ago to use, and sure enough it doesn't work. Fanatec offers replacement motors - but my wheel is out of warranty. A motor that lasts for 8 hours is a product DEFECT and should be corrected - no cost!

After much research it seems I'm not alone... so a motor upgrade is planned. But Fanatec, you should really study customer service.

There's a lot of instances I loose FFB all of a sudden and i have to reboot the wheel so it calibrates itself, better check it out then seeing a firmware update might fix this.

Cheers! :cheers:
what do you mean by losing FFB? i think i have FFB issue, my current settings are SEN 330, ABS and SHO enabled, rest OFF
no FFB at all
on PS3 i must enable SPR in order to feel FFB
on PC, enabling FOR in order to feel FFB

what do you think guys, is it normal?

@ultimate
How do always come up with such questions?

It is almost like asking whether it is normal to plug in your TV to electrial outlet in order to be able to power it up.

You should read first what those settings mean.
http://eu.fanatec.com/index.php?route=support/faq/faqknowledgebase

Unfortunately, Fanatec site doesn't let me give an exact link, so you need to look it up there yourself.

Last edited:
what do you mean by losing FFB? i think i have FFB issue, my current settings are SEN 330, ABS and SHO enabled, rest OFF
no FFB at all
on PS3 i must enable SPR in order to feel FFB

I mean sometimes there is 0 FFB all of a sudden, and i need to switch off the user and reboot the wheel, so it turns around again, then activate the wheel on Xbox and then the FFB is back.
Happens once in a while and i have not seen a pattern that causes it, but i do still have to upgrade my firmware so maybe that's what is causing it.

Yes i ve seen that link and it helped me to understand sightly better
unfortunately its explanations for CSR/CSR-E but most settings are same as CSW
i attempted to figure out each settings
i cannot understand well why i need to enable SPR on PS3, otherwhise no FFB
that why i put wheel on PC and start driving on it and same here (SPR and DPR are only for PS3 and 360), i followed these instructions and still no FFB until i enabled FOR
indeed its great forum which you guys help others for understanding sim racing and stuffs
i am naturally curious about sim hardware
i tried over 50 laps on circuit to test settings and still not finish, you people gave me hints and nice settings, i try and try again and over until i feel why you guys use such settings and which ones match with my driving style and not simply copying settings from others without wondering why using this? and this etc...

FOR and FF are what enable the FFB effects such as bumps, steering resistance, kerbs, etc. You can boost them or weaken them with those settings. FF changes pretty much all effects equally from the strongest to the weakest, and FOR boosts the strength of the stronger ones mostly from what I've seen in the linearity tests I've done. So if you have either at 0 you will have no FFB in PC sims. The consoles seem to use SPR also for some reason.

That is a good approach you are taking by playing with the settings to find the best feel for you rather than just copying others.

yeah but on console you haven't any software like FFB tweak or something similar to get some knowledge, you must try longer and see what each setting does changing (or not) your feeling.
while i am testing on running laps, i also look another sources
i think i take the right approach, i didnt pay expensive wheels and pedals just for racing blindly even at my own level, real drivers dont only drive, they study and take time to set correctly cars
e.g Vettel is no doubt a great and fast driver but he also known to spend time with engineer for better car setup understandings
i am quite happy with my CSW but to be honest, was a pain to get more info about settings and knowledge
Fanatec sells expensive racing materials and they dont even put true manual into product package
experienced guys have no problem but novices that miss a lack of computing / electronic skills, they need to be assisted even for basic knowledge
notice Fanatec website is very poor, no forum for assistance, simple faq, simple quick-guide...

I am still contemplating a purchase of a CSW and accesories, I would have gone for it sooner but I play less now then I used to do so I have opted not to for now.

However I got to say that I am a bit scared to pay so much for a wheel when there seems to be problems with the motor. Also when are new rims going to be released, they talked about rims along time ago, is it just me or are Fanatec quite slow on these things or do they have a habit of speaking to soon about new projects leaving people "hanging"?

They do seem to leave people hanging. Supposedly there is a new wheel coming, but who knows when it will actually be here. There is a reliable mod motor setup for the CSW/Elite but it sucks that you should even have to use it, IMO.

I am still contemplating a purchase of a CSW and accesories, I would have gone for it sooner but I play less now then I used to do so I have opted not to for now.

However I got to say that I am a bit scared to pay so much for a wheel when there seems to be problems with the motor. Also when are new rims going to be released, they talked about rims along time ago, is it just me or are Fanatec quite slow on these things or do they have a habit of speaking to soon about new projects leaving people "hanging"?
Run away.

Fanatec use to give out updates on products and release and such.Now nothing , not on Thomas' blog or twitter/GB.

Has the community flamed them so much for missed timelines that now they share nothing.

That is one of the reasons I went with the T500 instead, there been soon 2 years since the CSW was released and yet still only two rims and you cannot put a custom rim on it. And with such enormous failure with the motors is just unacceptable for such huge price.

That is one of the reasons I went with the T500 instead, there been soon 2 years since the CSW was released and yet still only two rims and you cannot put a custom rim on it. And with such enormous failure with the motors is just unacceptable for such huge price.

You went for T500 because it has 1 more rim even though 2 of them are nearly the same?
There is new rim for CSW, but Thomas probably doesn't show it much before he is able to deliever it. I imagine you can put whatever rim you want on it as long as you take electronics from one original rim and connect it to CSW.

You went for T500 because it has 1 more rim even though 2 of them are nearly the same?
There is new rim for CSW, but Thomas probably doesn't show it much before he is able to deliever it. I imagine you can put whatever rim you want on it as long as you take electronics from one original rim and connect it to CSW.

Yup that's what I plan on doing. I bought a used F1 rim pretty cheap and am going to make my own road wheel from carbon fiber (mold and vacuum bagging) using the electronics from the donor F1 rim.

Has anyone ever tried the CSW to see if it needs the rim to function? I know it will start up and calibrate itself without a rim attached. I have done that a couple times now by accident. Im pretty sure it will needs the electronics to function properly, was just wondering if anyone has tried.

Yea it would only help fanatec sales if they allowed custom wheels, or sold a quick release on its own just for people to mount a wheel of their choice to it.

edit: someone actually created a custom F1 Rim out of carbon fiber, I saw it on the iracing forums but my membership has expired so I cant find it now.

Last edited:
cswr3831.png
This was done a while back, I can't remember who it was or what site it came from though.

That wheel was someone's Formula rim that he modified to work on an after market steering wheel. It was done over a year ago, and I think there are pictures in the fanatec wheel modders thread.

That wheel was someone's Formula rim that he modified to work on an after market steering wheel. It was done over a year ago, and I think there are pictures in the fanatec wheel modders thread.

Yep exactly. It was a guy from the iracing forums that made it but I don't remember his name. I was the one that posted the pics of it on the fanatec modders thread a while back. It wouldn't really be all that hard I don't think to do something like that. Ive been wanting to do something like this for a nascar style rim just a bit pricey.

Yeah could you imagine taking the rim apart, then screwing up some how and not being able to use it at all.
I'm sure there are plenty that could do it, :ouch: just not me.
It'd be cheaper to wait and buy a Fanatec rim, if there ever is another one :boggled:

A guy emailed me a picture of a Formula Rim with a clamp-on / bolt-on round rim along with shift paddle extensions. No mods to the Formula Rim. Looked ugly but functional. Pretty much a leather round rim halo around the stock center.

Back