Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ review

• Thread starter HoiHman
  • 468 comments
The other Week my Shifter felt a little gritty, Not being the shy type to open thing's up and have a look, It appears the Up and Down movement spring/ball was a little dry on grease. (The adjustment allen key for tension) So I Pulled some grease from the bottom mechanism and applied to both sides of the mechanism working it back and forth a few times and everything became silky smooth again. No Service call required.

Been trying to find a replacement shifter knob for my 1.5 SQ. Can anyone help?
From page 9:
So here's what worked, went down to local hardware store (with both knobs) and sure enough the one I purchased was an exact fit for M12x1.50, the Fanatec shifter (from Fanatec support) is also M12x1.50x20mm but when you try and tighten a M12x1.5 shifter knob or adaptor onto shifter it's so tight you think you're going to strip a thread or in some way damage shifter shaft threads. What I did was take a M12x1.5 jam nut, with screw driver in hole at bottom of shaft for support, and slowly work it onto the shaft. Not sure if it's the heat treated paint they used or what but once you work the paint off and the threads clean up the aftermarket shifter knob and or a M16x5 adaptor fits nice and you can pretty much put on any shifter knob you desire.

I just read the installation instructions on the first knob and wow is it funny:

Installation method:
1, the original vehicle gear head off
2, put the gear head at the bottom of the aluminum alloy under the arbitrage
3, take the glue for the size of the gear lever
4, turn a bumper into gear lever
5, harnessed the gear head directly into the gear lever (note that the aluminium alloy casing first sets on the gear lever)
6, the small screws to go up
7, hexagonal screw tightening
8, tighten up the aluminum cover

Sounds like a top notch item!

Last edited:
Its crazy- its like no one on the internet has tried this before (besides roadpuke). I may just put a silicone cover over one of the stock knobs or try the suggestion above. Thanks.

Sounds like a top notch item!

I'm using this for over three months now.
This thing works and looks awesome.
I do change the tension with the hex key when switching from H to SQ. When set for the SQ, it feels too light for H-pattern, and my setting for H-pattern is too stiff for SQ (for my personal taste).

So much easier to use and change than my previous TH8A (for which I had custom made SQ and short throw H plates). Changing these plates became too much of a hassle over time.

The Fanatec SQ shifter feels A LOT better than the TH8A, in both modes...

I would be Flabbergasted if someone preferred the plastic Cheap THR8 to the Beast that is the CSS.

The TH8RS isn't plastic, nor is it especially cheap. I can't speak to the feel vs. the CSS tho as I don't have a CSS, but the TH8 beats the crap out of the Logitech shifter, that's for sure.

I've owned the TH8A for a few years and during my time with it I was less than satisfied. The term "Cheap, light and plastic feeling" is a very accurate description. Or maybe "Toylike" is a more appropriate term. Given it's toylike feel, I can't see how it would feel *THAT* much better than the Logitech G25 Shifter. In any case I'm moving onto a real MAN's shifter soon, the CSS v1.5.

I went from the Fanatec's Porsche shifter>th8rs>css sq, the th8rs is a nice shifter and is a step up from any of the the standard shifters from the likes of logitech and fanatec. After using the css sq though it does make the thrustmaster feel like a toy, it feels very soft and light. the mechanism is much firmer in the fanatec and the weight of the gear knob makes it feel Alot better too, plus the fact you can use the seq mode at the flip of a switch.

I would recomend the fanatec shifter over the thrustmaster anyday

If you use sequential mode a lot be prepared to have the return spring break. I've had mine since March and the spring has broken twice, there's simply just too much strain on it and it fatigues over time.

If you use sequential mode a lot be prepared to have the return spring break. I've had mine since March and the spring has broken twice, there's simply just too much strain on it and it fatigues over time.
Did you set the tension high ?
I lowered the tension for SQ quite a lot, for H I raise it.
Only using the shifter since early october (over 350 hrs) and using SQ a lot.
This is the first time I read about breaking springs.
Did Fanatec send you new ones or how did you fix it ?

As Fanapryde said, this is the FIRST time I have personally read about these spring's you speak of. NOT a common issue at all. So i wouldn't try and make it out like it is.

I agree I have not heard of spring breaking issues at all, I use my sequential mode as stiff as it goes (as stiff as it goes without binding in h - pattern mode) and have put plenty of hours on it and have not had any issues whatsoever, I will note that I have the V1.5.

Did you set the tension high ?
I lowered the tension for SQ quite a lot, for H I raise it.
Only using the shifter since early october (over 350 hrs) and using SQ a lot.
This is the first time I read about breaking springs.
Did Fanatec send you new ones or how did you fix it ?

Not particularly, to be honest the tension doesn't seem to affect how quickly the spring breaks (I initially thought this so lowered it after the first one let go), just how often you use sequential mode. First time I sent it off for repair, still need to request springs this time :)

As Fanapryde said, this is the FIRST time I have personally read about these spring's you speak of. NOT a common issue at all. So i wouldn't try and make it out like it is.

Hey, don't sound so defensive, it's a great shifter, my household has 4 of them (both myself and my dad play iRacing so we have one to use and one as a spare) but we've had issues with them no doubt. I've had the electronics package go down in one (kept selecting 2nd instead of 4th no matter how it was calibrated) and I've broken the sequential spring twice.

The spring starts with a bucketload of preload (about 20 degrees) and is then loaded beyond probably about 35 degrees when you use it. It's only thin wire (2-3 mm) so I'm not surprised it let go.

Make no mistake, I use my stuff a lot, if you want to know when something will fail from fatigue I'm probably the guy to do it.

It's right at the bottom Nick, it'll look like two wires running perpendicular to the silver L pieces :)

The coiled section sits on a small post off on the left, it's 3 bolts to get the H-gate off (2 small ones and 1 big one) then it's another small one to undo the top of the post to let you take the spring off. I'd be careful if you do this with the spring intact though as I imagine it'll fly off if you're not careful.

Hey, don't sound so defensive
I don't think he did. :)
Nick was probably as surprised as I was, reading about your spring issues.
This is really the first remark I read about it.
Good to know though ... having so much fun with the SQ that I even usi it in cars who have paddles.
I also have the latest model (1.5)...

Guys... Having heaps of trouble getting the SQ Shifter 1.5 detected on my system when connecting directly to the CSW v2

• Shifter worked perfectly fine with my G27 setup (direct to PC with USB adapter)
  • Switch to CSWv2 setup and needed to connect directly to wheel (with RJ12) for compatibility with consoles along with PC
  • "RJ12" that came with the Shifter was too short for the wiring route I needed for my setup
  • Order a longer RJ12 (6pin, 6 conductor - confirmed) that does not work
It was at this point I began to inspect the original "RJ12" cable that shipped with the shifter. It is, in fact, an RJ12 connector. The six pins, however, are only occupied by 5 conductors. The second from the last pin is unoccupied.

Unfortunately, I am unable to troubleshoot the shifter by connecting the original cable (for testing purposes) as I hastily cut the cable when disassembling my former setup with G27 (never imagined I'd have this much trouble with one lousy cable).

I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Anyone familiar with a 5 conductor RJ12 cable?
  2. Why would Fanatec not offer the cable for sale, in different lengths, if it were indeed a specialty cable? Surely I'm not the first person need a direct-to-CSW cable of an extended length.
  3. Can I remove the 5th pin from the purchased RJ12 cable in an attempt to make it compatible with the shifter?

If Pics are needed, I can provide them. I plan to ask these same questions to Fanatec support. Thanks for reading and any future advice.

The Shifter cable is a different pin out compared to the Old shifters, Yes there is a Ridiculously short version that works. but obviously being soo short renders it basically useless...... go to a Local electronics shop that sells cables and they should be able to assemble what you need. Yes its a Joke fana doesn't offer them in longer lengths.

Guys... Having heaps of trouble getting the SQ Shifter 1.5 detected on my system when connecting directly to the CSW v2

• Shifter worked perfectly fine with my G27 setup (direct to PC with USB adapter)
  • Switch to CSWv2 setup and needed to connect directly to wheel (with RJ12) for compatibility with consoles along with PC
  • "RJ12" that came with the Shifter was too short for the wiring route I needed for my setup
  • Order a longer RJ12 (6pin, 6 conductor - confirmed) that does not work
It was at this point I began to inspect the original "RJ12" cable that shipped with the shifter. It is, in fact, an RJ12 connector. The six pins, however, are only occupied by 5 conductors. The second from the last pin is unoccupied.

Unfortunately, I am unable to troubleshoot the shifter by connecting the original cable (for testing purposes) as I hastily cut the cable when disassembling my former setup with G27 (never imagined I'd have this much trouble with one lousy cable).

I guess my questions are as follows:

1. Anyone familiar with a 5 conductor RJ12 cable?
  2. Why would Fanatec not offer the cable for sale, in different lengths, if it were indeed a specialty cable? Surely I'm not the first person need a direct-to-CSW cable of an extended length.
  3. Can I remove the 5th pin from the purchased RJ12 cable in an attempt to make it compatible with the shifter?

If Pics are needed, I can provide them. I plan to ask these same questions to Fanatec support. Thanks for reading and any future advice.

The Shifter cable is a different pin out compared to the Old shifters, Yes there is a Ridiculously short version that works. but obviously being soo short renders it basically useless...... go to a Local electronics shop that sells cables and they should be able to assemble what you need. Yes its a Joke fana doesn't offer them in longer lengths.

I worked out my problem. I snipped the conductor on the RJ12 cable I purchased that connected with pin number 2. The shifter works fine now.

To revisit something from earlier in the thread, I ordered an aftermarket shifter knob today off ebay. See the image below. I was looking for something that was synthetic to resist temperature extremes as the rig is in basement that sometimes gets pretty cold. I was also looking for some grip. Here is what I purchased.

s-l1600.jpg

I'll let you guys know how the install goes- as there is not much information on knob replacements for the SQ 1.5 around the various forums.

Hi All,

I've been experiencing similar problems with my Clubsport SQ Shifter V1.5 which I purchased 2 months ago & the SQ return spring has just snapped after approximately 100 hours use in Project Cars (total game time including menu navigation etc).

Furthermore, the 'system resistance modifier' (spring plunger) has also run out of adjustment, with a significant loss in available tension since new. I was aware of having to increase the adjuster to compensate for incremental loss of stiffness during use but I have the reached maximum setting & the shifter is still significantly weaker than when fresh out of the box.
The original level of tension (factory pre-set adjustment,as when supplied) was very high indeed & I had to back off the adjuster to obtain a satisfactory stiffness for my use, & in no way would I describe this as overly stiff.

Fanatec responded quickly to my request for support & the shifter has just been collected for repair (new spring & system resistance modifier) but I am slightly concerned that these components may not be suitably robust.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I've been experiencing similar problems with my Clubsport SQ Shifter V1.5 which I purchased 2 months ago & the SQ return spring has just snapped after approximately 100 hours use in Project Cars (total game time including menu navigation etc).

Furthermore, the 'system resistance modifier' (spring plunger) has also run out of adjustment, with a significant loss in available tension since new. I was aware of having to increase the adjuster to compensate for incremental loss of stiffness during use but I have the reached maximum setting & the shifter is still significantly weaker than when fresh out of the box.
The original level of tension (factory pre-set adjustment,as when supplied) was very high indeed & I had to back off the adjuster to obtain a satisfactory stiffness for my use, & in no way would I describe this as overly stiff.

Fanatec responded quickly to my request for support & the shifter has just been collected for repair (new spring & system resistance modifier) but I am slightly concerned that these components may not be suitably robust.

That is quite concerning. May I ask you a question? When you describe the system resistance modifier being weaker than when you first got it, are you referring to H-Pattern mode as well? Has the shifter lost some of its resistance whilst shifting in H-pattern mode too?

If so, that is very disappointing to hear, as that is the EXACT same problem I was having with my Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter a few years back. I would tighten it and tighten even more and over time the resistance whilst shifting through the gears became lighter and lighter no matter how tight I fastened it. To the point where I started to feel very "Toy-like".

I was hoping the Fanatec CSS wouldn't suffer from the same issue but it sounds like it does :(

Or if I'm mistaken and you are talking about running it *ONLY* in Sequential mode, please correct me.

Hi All,

That is quite concerning. May I ask you a question? When you describe the system resistance modifier being weaker than when you first got it, are you referring to H-Pattern mode as well? Has the shifter lost some of its resistance whilst shifting in H-pattern mode too?

If so, that is very disappointing to hear, as that is the EXACT same problem I was having with my Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter a few years back. I would tighten it and tighten even more and over time the resistance whilst shifting through the gears became lighter and lighter no matter how tight I fastened it. To the point where I started to feel very "Toy-like".

I was hoping the Fanatec CSS wouldn't suffer from the same issue but it sounds like it does :(

Or if I'm mistaken and you are talking about running it *ONLY* in Sequential mode, please correct me.

Hi All,

Yes the system resistance modifier (allen/hex key adjuster) affects both the H-gate & Sequential shifter modes & this loss of tension is consequently present when I use either mode.

I am not aware of any other instances of the Fanatec CSS tension/stiffness adjustment failure so mine may be an isolated case.

Last edited:
So in short this can be a complete replacement of TH8RS for both PC and PS3/4, when used as standalone?

I like my TH8RS but definitely wish it can be a bit more positive in feel, and easier to go from sequential to H-gate.

So in short this can be a complete replacement of TH8RS for both PC and PS3/4, when used as standalone?

I like my TH8RS but definitely wish it can be a bit more positive in feel, and easier to go from sequential to H-gate.
I had the TH8A, but switched to Fanatec gear.
The TH8A was rather good (I had custom made short throw and sequential plates, which improved the feeling a lot).
But the Fanatec SQ is really A LOT better and a simple slider changes from H to SQ.
It feels like a real shifter, sequential is a dream to race with.
Now I can switch from paddles, to SQ to H without further actions needed.

Switching the plates on the TM became too much of a hassle.

Back