Fanatec Clubsport Shifter SQ review

• Thread starter HoiHman
  • 468 comments
the detent bolt is common to go dry, the Balls are constantly pushing the grease out of the holes and luckily its a easy 4 bolts and 1 wire to access. Where exactly were the shaving's you found ?
Actually I don't think it was shavings. I guess its like a carbon or silicon grease? The black one.

Cant say i recall having Any black grease in my shifter..... where was this black grease located ?

ohh... it looked like this

nM8Z3Ytgr0fxCJ-A62rYyk2EEwQylIkWlwToYRc21ZbrUPBRjU-xMlkwO-HhPFj-hVSRbaX1EnhJg_MiugsLr8GSaRncdf8I0r13nWkJ6YlmuRKqhMDbjTLKPh5DNfxGl1FW53YJo5PmCgxNzaWKwBNvkO_6dfBjv7J9bRdYzD7dE0FIbJ3fteyaZyNVbxbzbPJMXmpAFGwoeldMC-x5F61OzuS1hQ-6VAjlDGxVjThjj-pLLL6zyk1j3zxA7QAfNwVN0Olu-S6DKwzueYVZK7C1IMVzAmSaLMfjw5XH7tnD4SExB6rxaQO9slzAcuYjEw7KLUBFqRhJXY6CfQF7PNhEW2__zcgnNShI0XUzveb0eDGxwlK98YR7LEl-RrXpN5r3vtXhDS-pqQoHNmD8Q1frjxsmA3bYV8_MZJNZcXoadaWGeiCTwsmf1Pw3pIU42eQK25ZREIMtw8iUyk1ACZ1-2GD3-IhBC-K4M6kigqPj8Mz2EC6jMLEGZUQOHwonm_o_xkqf-F1_HQuGj4IAVVkBi8n5ceTFImjOVpg-SVYQYXrGa08up3RpJ-SpUABlCCjacg=w630-h839-no

Wow that looks like really dirty grease. As you can see the stock grease is a Brownish color. Interesting there would be so much contamination.

I wonder if this pattern is normal? I feel like the shifter is very light now no matter how hard I adjust it. I wonder if the clearance has worn down.
4BLBLe8fvDMC3_bQTMWL-4rFl-8fGAvLUpB3_hmNm3jg9C_pUKe_7lzZ-IyOxshEKsglmLRyk3e0Aci1WsZN-WcFwXQqzXGcs1sndXtibltaXFnZ5hymtx3-Wk6inU1aHL5kqcg2uHcfq6dC7kqffq7VSz95vL6jGpUGcWjTUSJAYFqqY7hNR5HJ767RgJZ__eAOiNga-tpT1xKCr3HRBoFefwAUNRMayOY75Q4yVbmAoA7bEZppil5zk9knqDrwa1tJioaHLxiClbcKK8AA2Aoae6QIwGqh4Qh8Qnf9m7Xj8f-DbgMpUiK8GPeobjqyp-wLpXbYNiPyO6-AgBAFJWAHqhQ1rMh-2yWQGDS5IXJSbaQC18yENAdpgErnQighle_IuDmnhofkApf2LAXIAXyE147O6Tl3UQnbwFpPa8nbRgKD4VlBmpdHXOMf1IHJpR-ROgO0UcLQyN6JXmwutDs5z3z1sbkFHdakI0Xeyeov7CLdU4e3GD3Hu6rn8-C1EiYePfLozCkxZrAUB1Sic4C-1_8LNy5TRPP6RCfwXLCFkap1zPynCNoST8A1nnNGkUBwhA=w666-h888-no

I wonder if this pattern is normal? I feel like the shifter is very light now no matter how hard I adjust it. I wonder if the clearance has worn down
I have not opened mine (yet), so I don't know, but by the looks of this, I'd send this picture to Fanatec and ask them...

hrmm, something doesn't quite look right there GOPDeamon....any chance you can clean it up with a cloth and take another picture ? Almost looks like there's no center position.

PS more grease can be borrowed from the "gates" on the bottom of the shifter. OR go pick yourself up a tube of High pressure grease from the Auto store.

That is clean.... The black spaces are center, up row of gears and down row of gears. Almost wondering if it should be black normally and then the space in between got smoother. I'll try some more grease tonight. I don't have the SQ actually. Just normal H pattern.

edit: seems better now with new grease. Seems better. Not day 1 tightness, but pretty good.

Last edited:
I wonder if this pattern is normal? I feel like the shifter is very light now no matter how hard I adjust it. I wonder if the clearance has worn down.

That detent plate is pretty well worn out by the look of it. It should (ordinarily they are, at least) be flat with 3 hemispherical divots. I'm pretty sure the "trenches" or grooves between the divots (detents) shouldn't be there. You may want to see if Fanatec will sell you a replacement insert plate - (the screwed on black plate that has the detents in it). It appears to me as though they should have made that plate out of something harder or more wear resistant.

4BLBLe8fvDMC3_bQTMWL-4rFl-8fGAvLUpB3_hmNm3jg9C_pUKe_7lzZ-IyOxshEKsglmLRyk3e0Aci1WsZN-WcFwXQqzXGcs1sndXtibltaXFnZ5hymtx3-Wk6inU1aHL5kqcg2uHcfq6dC7kqffq7VSz95vL6jGpUGcWjTUSJAYFqqY7hNR5HJ767RgJZ__eAOiNga-tpT1xKCr3HRBoFefwAUNRMayOY75Q4yVbmAoA7bEZppil5zk9knqDrwa1tJioaHLxiClbcKK8AA2Aoae6QIwGqh4Qh8Qnf9m7Xj8f-DbgMpUiK8GPeobjqyp-wLpXbYNiPyO6-AgBAFJWAHqhQ1rMh-2yWQGDS5IXJSbaQC18yENAdpgErnQighle_IuDmnhofkApf2LAXIAXyE147O6Tl3UQnbwFpPa8nbRgKD4VlBmpdHXOMf1IHJpR-ROgO0UcLQyN6JXmwutDs5z3z1sbkFHdakI0Xeyeov7CLdU4e3GD3Hu6rn8-C1EiYePfLozCkxZrAUB1Sic4C-1_8LNy5TRPP6RCfwXLCFkap1zPynCNoST8A1nnNGkUBwhA=w666-h888-no

As eKretz and Nick said that's definitely not normal, that is showing VERY excessive wear. By looking at that I'd say you've probably over tightened the tension screw and caused it to bottom out and chew up the detent plate. I'd be asking fanatec for a new plate for sure.

I just bit the bullet and ordered one.
Being quadriplegic it was always easier with paddle shifters (but when I use drugs for muscle relaxation, somtimes my left hand fingers get too slow/weak, so I can't race at those times). With g25/g27 It was alright at slow speeds but shifter was flimsy and I always was afraid of braking it or something (It was not a good feeling using it).

Any tips In starting to adjust to it (learning) ?
I don't even have an idea how downshifting works while racing ( Do you engage clutch every gear? Do you shift down every gear?)
What sim has the best clutch support (to my understanding gt5/gt6 are no good?)?

I have: stcc2,race 07,rfactor, rfactor2,lfs, Dirt Rally,asseto corrsa, pcars and last couple of months remaining of iracing.

Any tips In starting to adjust to it (learning) ?
I don't even have an idea how downshifting works while racing ( Do you engage clutch every gear? Do you shift down every gear?)
What sim has the best clutch support (to my understanding gt5/gt6 are no good?)?

I have: stcc2,race 07,rfactor, rfactor2,lfs, Dirt Rally,asseto corrsa, pcars and last couple of months remaining of iracing.

With a sequential you cant skip any gears you have to go through them all, pull back to shift up and push forward to shift down. In sequential mode you don't need to use the clutch, but the only exception I can think of is iracing which doesn't require the clutch per say but using it when downshifting is very helpful, otherwise you may be denied a shift if the RPMs aren't just right. Shifting up a gear you dont need a clutch at all.

AC and Dirt Rally have great clutch support, just keep in mind when going over jumps in Dirt Rally you might want to hold the clutch in to avoid stalls, unless you're using sequential.

I'd have a hard time rating the best clutch supported game, but they're all mostly good. Even Gran Turismo can be ok if you keep in mind it makes you shift slowly and without throttle input, it definitely takes some fun out of shifting though.
One last though, I can name the worst clutch supported game (maybe more on the sim-cade side), Next car game:Wreckfest (game had 2 names) it makes you wait a good 3 seconds to shift so people opt for the auto :yuck:

Greetings gentlemen. I just got my Fanatec CSS in a few days ago and I'm working on mounting it to my rig. The shifter is the H-pattern *only* version, as I didn't need the sequential function.

One thing I have heard about this shifter is that you can adjust the shift tension between gears. Where and how do you make this adjustment? I see a hole on the side of the unit, so perhaps this is what it's for? If so, which exact tool do I need? It's hard to see but it looks like maybe an allen wrench of some sort? Please let me know.

Greetings gentlemen. I just got my Fanatec CSS in a few days ago and I'm working on mounting it to my rig. The shifter is the H-pattern *only* version, as I didn't need the sequential function.

One thing I have heard about this shifter is that you can adjust the shift tension between gears. Where and how do you make this adjustment? I see a hole on the side of the unit, so perhaps this is what it's for? If so, which exact tool do I need? It's hard to see but it looks like maybe an allen wrench of some sort? Please let me know.
Likely the same as on my SQ, you need a 5 mm allen wrench.

I finally got my shifter back... after sending it for repair and it was stuck at the canaada us border for 3 months. but it was sent to my billing address not my home address... WHy would they do that. It's been at my parents house for like 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am upgrading from a THR8S to the Clubsport shifter later this week. I have an Obutto Ozone cockpit and I would prefer not to drill the shifter plate. I ordered the Clubsport Shifter table clamp. Has anyone used that to mount the shifter to the shifter plate on the Ozone or Revolution? If so, how is it? Can you post pictures?

Latest Posts

Back